• Memory • In a cage, a bird I (Graded)

74th Ashan, 709

This is a forum where you can write threads in the wilderness of the Eastern Continent.
Pharan
Approved Character
Race: Avriel
Profession: Diplomatic Aide
Renown: 15
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates
Wealth Tier: Tier 5

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

In a cage, a bird I (Graded)

74th Ashan, 709
L
ight filtered pale and golden through the straw roof of the barn, painting shadows of mottled umber across piles of hay and empty stables. Somewhere, in the distance, a dog barked then stopped. Pharan sat up. The soft chink chink chink of his chains rattled the silence. He hadn’t been asleep—he didn’t think—only drifting from one state of consciousness to another as it happened when animal instinct got the better of him. Once it had scared him, the loose of control. Now it was more of an annoyance, the random stirring of an enemy which hadn’t quite accepted its defeat. He looked around. As so often, blind rapacity was followed by clarity as his mind seemed to gasp in amazement at its own ability to once more comprehend the world.

Pharan had experienced his first bout of aggression when the had been twelve. He had stood in his mother’s chambers, wedged between her wardrobe and a dresser. In his hand, he had sheltered pieces of a broken flacon. Whole, it had been a frail, delicate thing. Lavender colored glass given the likeness of an exotic bird perched, of all things, on a soft, cushioned pillow. Even as a child he had known about the ridiculousness of the display. It had not even been crafted in the image of a real bird. And yet he couldn’t have helped but admire how much effort the glassblowers had put in the modeling of its wings. How much care they had paid to the carving of its feathers, the curve of its neck. He remembered his father’s voice, upset, angry, shouting not at him but his sister for letting him run unattended. His own confusion over why he should have broken something so beautiful. He remembered the mire of exquisite perfumes drenching the carpet. The cacophony of smells rising from a pile of broken glass. After the long time, his mind could even single out the one or other predominant smell: the sharp, fresh sting of citrus, the rich bouquet of foreign roses and faintly, jasmine. He couldn’t remember what had happened.

Like now, as he puzzled over last night’s events, trying to remember anything.

No, that wasn’t true.

He did remember parts of the ordeal. The fight at the tavern, Hyron’s soft, mocking voice. What he didn’t recall was the reason for the quarrel. It couldn’t have been important. Or not important enough to justify that level of escalation. He still saw himself linger before the building; relieved to finally have come across a place serving warm food, annoyed the place was nothing more than a hovel in the middle of nowhere, joking with Kaelvyn and Raesol about the feast they would have once home. He recalled a vague sense of dread about once more sharing close quarter with noisy, unwashed, uncultured humans.

The next thing he remembered was a woman screaming. The rich, copper stink of blood. Hyron crying something obscene in Lorien which was absurd as none of the patrons understood him. And then everyone had been running. Caught between the fight and flight drive of the bird brain, they all had set on the later. He remembered the press at the door as half a dozen bodies tried to make it past the threshold, the hands which had seized him from behind.

He had woken up in the barn sometime after. How long after, he couldn’t tell. A while, as the sun had already been high in the sky, flooding the shed with the comfortable warmth of midseason. They had bound his wrists with iron shackles. A chain, not wider than one of his fingers and made for a dog bound him to a wooden beam to the side of his stall. At some point, his cell had been home to a lesser beast like a swine or sheep. Whatever they had kept in it—it had been gone for a while. The soil in the box was hard and dry and the air smelled of hay and fresh cut grass not beast.

Again, he tugged at his chains. Like the times before, they gave nothing.
word count: 705
Pharan
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Re: In a cage, a bird I

I
t was the sixth or seventh time they had come to harass him. In the first few days, when he had still been the monster in the barn, uncertainty and fear had kept the pests at bay. In the days that followed the warnings of weary adults had harbored the same effect. Now the pack was upon him whenever their progenitors had their eyes elsewhere, howling and screaming and dancing around his box as the flung stones and lumps of sun-dried horse shit. They squealed when they hit. They hollered as they missed. Pharan sensed some sort of game afoot, but the rules kept eluding him.

A stick, thrown by a short, blond ruffian in rough-spun weave, struck his shoulder. A dozen tiny voices cried in delight. Pharan bent forward, a growl caught in his throat. His rambunctious tormentors ebbed away like the flood only to crash against the confines of his cell the next moment. Tiny fists hammered against rough, wooden planks. He resisted the urge to lunge at them.

It would have been futile. His chains were too short. Pharan had found out some days earlier and a couple of times since. His hands bore the ragged cuts where he had thrown himself against the walls, trying to claw through the wood. His skin itched where the bands of iron around his wrists had rubbed it raw. For a while now, he had resolved to not look at them too closely. The smell of the blood-crusted flesh made him sick in the stomach.

Around him, the human brood shrieked as they trust more earth and pebbles his way.

Familiar anger stirred in his chest. The beast in the back of his mind didn’t like to be trifled with but Pharan knew it would do them no good trying to fight. He quelled the sense of disgust he felt rising in his chest even as he flicked his wings to brush away yet another stone.

He closed his eyes. The room appeared to grow louder and then more silent as he curled his hands into fists. White, hot pain filled his vision. His world shrank. His breath evened. Small feet shuffled in the distance as the rowdy plague nudged each other with scrawny elbows. Something warm and soft brushed his shoulder but missed. A second attempt, aiming for his neck, did not. Expectant silence filled the barn. The quiet stretched three, four, five trills as the little imps waited for him to do something. Anything.

He did not. The murmur took over the silence, quiet, uncertain. Pharan paid it no mind.

More pebbles rained down on him, but those who threw them lacked their earlier fervor. The downpour creased. The sound of voices and excited screaming fell away, first in his mind and then in reality. At some point, a deeper voice joined the mix to shoo the pack out into the sun, but by that time he had already stopped paying attention.
word count: 498
Pharan
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

T
he girl was eight, maybe nine. Long auburn hair fell to her shoulders in unkempt tresses, a simple linen band doing a poor job of taming her mane. She wore a tunic and pants, both too long for her short frame and without doubt inherited from an older sister or brother. She had come once the rest of the pest had grown tired of his presence, to gawk.

“That’s it?”, Pharan asked morosely, forcing himself into a sitting position. “That’s all you want to do, staring at me as if dimwitted?”

His lone spectator made no reply. Instead, she wiped at the glob of snot hanging under her nose. Pharan stared at her.

“You know my friends are coming to get me, right? You and your people will regret what you have done to me,” he hissed in Lorien, rubbing his cheek. Days of continuous rain, of poor food and idleness had made him weary. Foul-mooded.

“Do you even understand what I am saying, you little savage? Or are you too dumb to understand anything but the shrieking of your people?”

The girl gave no indication she could make sense of his words. She did, however, get to her feet, to hold something over the wooden walls framing his box. A single apple, red and sun-kissed, wiggled into view.

“I don’t want your rotten apples,” Pharan said, resting his head in his palm with resignation. His recent diet of roots and vegetables, of thin barley soup and grits had upset his stomach in ways he hadn’t deemed possible.

Before him, the apple bobbed up and down. Waiting to be taken.

“Is it that hard to understand? I want some meat. Raw. Cooked. Cow. Hare. Rat. I don’t care. Meat.”

He had not meant to get loud. Not because he cared about the girl’s sensibilities after she kept taunting him with her damned apples, but because there was no point. Had he been less hungry, less desperate, he might have reigned in his rancor. Instead, he sent the girl running.

With a muttered curse, Pharan dropped back against hay. He closed his eyes.

He must have fallen asleep for a time as when he opened his eyes again the barn around him was dark. Footsteps drew near. At first, he thought it was his old tormentors coming to exact revenge, but it was the girl’s face that appeared above him. Snot crusted her upper lip and dirt her cheeks. Her expression was serious.

“Not yet tired of staring at me?”, he asked mildly. He did not find the strength to sit up.

In the half-dark, the child held something into his box. Her thin arm was close enough to his face that he could have grabbed her, had he been able to summon either the strength or will to do so. He looked at what she was holding: A soup bone, pilfered from someone’s kitchen. Fat dripped onto his face from shreds of tough, dark meat. It was a meager meal, but still too good to throw to the dogs.

He didn’t move. She didn’t move, either. It was only after a long moment when he gingerly reached upward, she dropped the bone into his palm.
word count: 548
Aegis
Prophet of Old
Race: Prophet
Renown: 0
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

Staff

Miscellaneous

[anchor=OptionFour][/anchor]
Thread Review
This was my first time reading Pharan, I really enjoyed his intensity, you showcased it well without it being over the top. Well done, I look forward to more.

Word Count: 1,793
Review Request Link: viewtopic.php?f=242&t=16103&p=114289#p114293
Pharan
  • Skill Points - 10
  • Renown - 0
  • Skill Knowledges
    1. Meditation: Learning to disregard one’s surroundings
    2. Meditation: Closing the eyes improves focus
    3. Meditation: Overcoming one’s instincts
    4. Discipline: Using pain to focus
    5. Discipline: Remaining calm in the face of lesser creatures
    6. Intimidation: Raising one’s voice can be scary (to children)
  • Non-Skill Knowledges
    1. Heather (Flavor NPC)
  • Items and Other Rewards
Player 2
  • Skill Points -
  • Renown -
  • Skill Knowledges
  • Non-Skill Knowledges
  • Items and Other Rewards

Final Notes

If you have any questions, please PM me.

Code: Select all

[center][img]/gallery/image.php?album_id=39&image_id=12064[/img][/center]
word count: 150
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Eastern Plains”