Defiance, metal, gems

Here you can ask questions relating to the Standing Trials roleplay to everyone in the community. Please note Forum Rules displayed here.

Moderators: Staff, Peer Reviewer, Wiki Worker

Forum rules
Here you can ask questions relating to the Standing Trials roleplay to everyone in the community. All members are welcome to assist here. PLEASE NOTE: Q & A answers which are more than 2 years old / very specific, are best asked again. Standing Trials is a dynamic and changing world - these forums represent the best answer at the time.
Goku
Approved Character
Race: Mixed Race
Renown: 100
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 5

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Defiance, metal, gems

Does defiance allow a mage to manipulate metal and gemstones? What about soil or stone (which types?)?
word count: 17
Pig Boy
City Moderator
City Moderator
Race: Prophet
Profession: Rharne City Moderator
Renown: 666
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Featured

Contribution

RP Medals

Staff

Events

Re: Defiance, metal, gems

Gem and metals are a no I believe. Soil and stone? Soil yes definitely that is Earth. Stone, I'd say yes but it's a little tougher to coax/control than soil. But yes.

Remember the elements are a character all their own, and don't typically enjoy being twisted in ways not in their nature. So having them coax forth metal ore and gems from the earth, or to tell on their treasures to the defier might be a bigger ask than it would seem.

The technique of Calling perhaps could be used to locate the gems and metals. The elements won't however divulge this information in a straightforward way. It's still up to the character's skill in interpreting the way the elements communicate.

So a fisher/hunter seeking fish in the water might have an easier time finding schools of fish swimming around in there, than someone who has no clue how schools of fish congregate and migrate.

Likewise, someone looking for ore with defiance magic (using the technique of Calling) would probably benefit from some secondary skill like mining/science (geology in other words)/engineering/sculpting or whatever else.

I would say it's possible for defiance to help in a mining operation, it absolutely would, but it's not as simple or straightforward as telling the earth to spit up its treasures.

Does that make any sense? I was a bit all over the place there.
word count: 244
Goku
Approved Character
Race: Mixed Race
Renown: 100
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 5

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Yes, it makes sense. So long as it works with stone that's enough for me. I didn't want to fling around bits of soft soil, if you know what I mean.

I forgot to ask about sand earlier. Does sand count as earth?
word count: 45
Pig Boy
City Moderator
City Moderator
Race: Prophet
Profession: Rharne City Moderator
Renown: 666
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Featured

Contribution

RP Medals

Staff

Events

Goku wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 4:36 pm Yes, it makes sense. So long as it works with stone that's enough for me. I didn't want to fling around bits of soft soil, if you know what I mean.
I wouldn't underestimate the oh so subtle power of soil in your eyes, or softening the earth so that someone falls or trips on it. But to each their own. You won't be able to fling rocks until master with Defiance, and even then only if air and earth are your kin elements. Refinement is the technique that allows you to throw rocks. otherwise you can manipulate the earth, cause it to move in ways that don't involve flinging. But growing earth spikes, small earth-ruptures, that sorta thing is the purview of dancing at competent and expert.

I forgot to ask about sand earlier. Does sand count as earth?
There is an excellent psf answer provided here by Pegasus. I'd advise you to read that and come back if you have any questions.

Short answer? Yes it is, but it takes a lot of power to manipulate because of the way sand is composed.
word count: 201
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Questions & Answers”