[Elemental Hall] Preparation, Prevention and Protection

85th of Ashan 717

Once an isolated and dying township, an influx of academics, adventurers and thrill seekers have made Scalvoris Town their home. From scholars' tea shops to a new satellite campus for Viden Academy, this is an exciting place to visit or make your home!

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Kali'rial
Approved Character
Race: Sev'ryn
Profession: Hunter for Cally's (Expert)
Renown: 167
Character Sheet
Partner
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Kali raised her eyebrows with a curious tilt of her head.

"Well it must be something in the water. I hope I don't offend but you are very tall!" Smiling back, she tapped her bow distractedly.

"I am originally from Desnind, but I travel between there and Scalvoris using the trade routes."Glancing over at Sylvia, the Sev'ryn smiled with a nod. The receptionist had, in her grandparents words, her head screwed on right and priorities straight. It gave Kali a sense of comfort knowing the woman was so professional.

As the Landsman approached, Kali listened to Sylvia with interest, before promptly turning her attention to the one called Rolf. He seemed a sensible sort, and appeared to know the taller Amaris. She nodded in greeting and promptly moved to follow him, keen to get started.

"Well met, Rolf. I'm eager to learn and ready immediately." Glancing back at Sylvia, she smiled and bowed her head slightly.

"Moseke protect you." The Sev'ryn said in departure, feeling the receptionist was owed the respectful goodbye of her people.
word count: 180
Common | Xanthean
[album]10861[/album]
Amaris
Approved Character
Race: Mixed Race
Profession: Councilor of Natural Affairs
Renown: 242
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates
Wealth Tier: Tier 5

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Meeting a familiar face was always a relief. Compliments coming those other than family, however, were still something they had to work on receiving. That, and they hadn’t particularly thought of their actions as impressive during the whole incident.

Kali’s remarks about their height was not odd or offensive in any way. Instead, they hybrid merely smiled. “I’m not quite so tall when you see my father and brother.” No, they were quite appropriately dwarfed in comparison to their father.

“Long bow,” they responded, when asked which skill they wanted. They didn’t much trust themselves with blades and they figured something they could use from a distance would be best. Unarmed combat would be good enough for anything closer. Amaris then bid Sylvia a farewell as Rolf seemed to take over, the hybrid trailing after him at a noticeably shorter stride than they might have had walking with someone closer in height.
Common | Murnasian | Ancient Language
word count: 160
Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Race: Prophet
Renown: 666
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Rolf gave a good natured and somewhat cheeky grin to Sylvia. "Come on then you two. And if anyone asks, just don't deny the tall story I'll spin, alright?" He motioned for them to follow him. It wasn't far, it was just a large area behind the element hall which was fenced off and had a range of targets at one end and equipment and supplied under a stone gazebo like affair.

There were bows, long and short and crossbows. First things first, before he took them towards the range itself, Rolf got them choosing the bows they wanted. Kali had said shortbow, Amaris longbow. That made sense considering their respective height differences and he got them kitted out. "They all look the same. They aren't. Try each one, hold it in your hand, here like this." Holding up his own bow, Rolf demonstrated and showed them where to hold and the kind of grip they would want to use.

"Try each one and find the one that is held easiest in your hand." Doing that got them used to the holding the weapons and the feel of slight difference.

When they had that, he led them off to the side, again not yet aiming at targets. "Stance like this if you can do it. Knees slightly bent. Arms not stiff. The trick here is with breathing. So, what I want you to do is spend a bit of time now lifting, drawing back and breathing. Don't release yet, just lift and pull back. Lift and pull back. You'll want to breathe in doing that." Once they had done that, he'd show them how to aim and then, finally, to release their breath on the release.

Then, he'd give them time to practice, moving between the two of them. Amaris was standing a little behind Kali, although not as much as one might expect. Not at first, anyhow.
Off Topic
Heya, I want to be able to give you knowledge from this, so thought the best thing to do is to just generally explain what Rolf is doing, then leave you to fill in the blanks etc. Please feel free to assume success / failure in your posts and go into detail as much as you want to / can. Thanks!

word count: 386
~~Red in hoof and claw... ~~

Family visiting. Send help!
Kali'rial
Approved Character
Race: Sev'ryn
Profession: Hunter for Cally's (Expert)
Renown: 167
Character Sheet
Partner

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Kali raised her eyebrows with a curious tilt of her head.

Kali’rial raised her eyebrows at Amaris, unable to picture someone even taller than the being before her. Smiling, she turned to follow Rolf as he led them out to the back of the element hall. She glanced around, taking in the various targets and equipment. Clearly this was a practice area of sorts.

Moving to the bows demonstrated, the Sev’ryn raised the shortbow she had brought with her, indicating she would use that unless otherwise guided by the man. Following him to the side, she listened carefully and watched as he demonstrated his stance, before putting the process into practice. She already knew how to do this from her grandparents, but the guidance from a military skilled trainer was valuable more than she could say. Already, as they lifted and pulled, drew and breathed, Kali could feel the minor differences in her style versus what he was teaching them. It gave her a better sense of control and focus, exactly the sort of knowledge she needed to refine and grow her technique.

They moved on to aiming, always breathing and checking their stance. The brunette took her time, in through the nose, out through the mouth – release on the exhale. In and out and release. She didn’t rush, and took any advice the more experienced man could provide. Occasionally she would ask a question, either about the reason behind his technique or whether she was doing things correctly. Either way, the young huntress thrived on the practice, finding it both enlightening and therapeutic.

Finally they got to shoot arrows, and Kali found herself missing everything to begin with. She'd spent so long using what she'd learnt from her Elders, that the slight changes in stance and style had completely thrown her off.

That would not do.

Frowning with concentration, the young Sev'ryn took a few long slow breaths and continued to practice. Eventually she began to get hits on the targets, granted they were wide hits, but they were a success none-the-less. On she went, as the day moved on, drawing, aiming and releasing. Each failure merely pushed her to try again, and by the time they wrapped up for the day, the young woman found herself hitting the target each time. Not quite bulls-eye, but near enough to centre to quantify a kill or a strike. Rolling her shoulders to release the tension, Kali groaned with a smile.

"I haven't been this sore from archery in arcs!" She said with delight, looking between Amaris and Rolf.
word count: 438
Common | Xanthean
[album]10861[/album]
Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Race: Prophet
Renown: 666
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Kali'rial

Overview

Oh, so serious! I love seeing this side to Kali, very much the Sev'ryn part that harks back to her family. Needless to say, Sylvia was impressed! This was a fun little training thread and I hope you enjoyed it. If I missed anything in my review, please let me know!

XP: 15

Fame: +5
Devotion: Nope.

Loot

None

Knowledge

Detection: Noticing the small details in dress code
Discipline: Determination and focus
Endurance: Repetitive movements cause pain in the muscles
Endurance: Continuing to practice even when in pain
Etiquette: Not coming across as rude
Etiquette: Greeting strangers
Persuasion: Explaining your strengths
Persuasion: Not exaggerating your skills
Ranged Weapon: Bow: Not all the same
Ranged Weapon: Bow: Get a feel for your weapon
Ranged Weapon: Bow: Basic stance
Ranged Weapon: Bow: Breathing

PC: Amaris
Scalvoris: Location: Elements Hall
Scalvoris Festival: Ilaren's Trial
Scalvoris: NPC: Sylvia
Scalvoris: NPC: Sylvia: Works as a receptionist in Element Hall
Scalvoris: NPC: Rolf

Amaris

Overview

I'm sorry that you didn't complete the thread with Amaris, who is always a good character to write with! It's interesting to see how Amaris is so serious and slightly awkward ~ but also really interesting to see that transition to being determined to be better physically. Fun to write with you! If you think I've missed anything, drop me a PM!

XP: 15

Fame: +5
Devotion: Nope

Loot

None

Knowledge

Discipline: Not showing irritation
Etiquette: Matching your strides to your companions.

PC: Kali'rial
Scalvoris: Location: Elements Hall
Scalvoris Festival: Ilaren's Trial
Scalvoris: NPC: Sylvia
Scalvoris: NPC: Sylvia: Works as a receptionist in Element Hall
Scalvoris: NPC: Rolf
word count: 277
~~Red in hoof and claw... ~~

Family visiting. Send help!
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Scalvoris Town”