• Solo • [Warrick] Forgotten Key

Lei'lira heads into the village to do some research, and finds more than she came for.

43rd of Ashan 716

The seven Duchies of Central Rynmere and their respective baronies, cities, towns, villages, and landmarks each overseen by a Duke of one of the seven noble families and ultimately controlled by the King of Rynmere.
Lei'lira
Race: Mixed Race
Profession: Farmer
Renown: 267
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 8

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

[Warrick] Forgotten Key

43rd of Ashan, 716

Lei'lira loved Ashan. Most of the seasons were nice in their own way, but Ashan was one of her favorites. After the long, icy darkness of Cylus, it always amazed Lei'lira to watch the world renew itself. Green things grew freely as far as the eye could see, and here and there splashes of color could be seen among the greenery as early flowers started to bloom.

Lei'lira glanced at the cottage thoughtfully. Along one side, there was a good sized stretch of land that would be perfect for an herb garden. And if she wanted to plant one this arc, she'd need to do it soon. For that reason, she decided to head into Fort Warrick to spend some time in the library. Lei'lira wanted to research herbs before planting her herb garden, so she'd have a better idea of what was best to plant. She needed herbs that were easy to care for because she didn't know much about how to care for them. And if it were possible to plant herbs that could be used for a wide variety of things, she wanted to do so. That would make the best use of the space she had.

The trip would take several trials round trip. If the weather held up, and she made good time, it would take her roughly two days each way. And she wanted to spend at least one full day in the library to take full advantage of her rare trip. So she packed up the supplies she would need for the trip, and made sure to include a blank book she kept on hand for when she wanted to record something, or try her hand at writing a story.

As Lei'lira headed for the barn, she heard a loud barking nearby, so she ran to investigate. Had Shinta and Maia found another fox going after the chickens? The chickens weren't making a ruckus, but it was possible that the dogs had found the fox in time to prevent it from attacking. When Lei'lira found the dogs, she froze. There was no fox to be found. Instead, Lei'lira couldn't help but wonder if she would have puppies running around the farm in a season or so.

Lei'lira left Shinta and Maia to their business, and entered the barn. Star was fully settled into her new home now. When she saw Lei'lira, she greeted her eagerly.

"You look ready for a good, long ride. How about coming into Fort Warrick with me, today, girl?"

Star tossed her head playfully in response. Lei'lira grinned at her antics. Then she led the young mare out of her stall, so she could give her a good grooming before saddling her up for the ride.

Last edited by Lei'lira on Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total. word count: 476
Lei'lira
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

[Warrick] Forgotten Key

The trip into Fort Warrick had been long, but mostly uneventful. She'd lost control of Star a few times when the mare took it into her head about being stubborn over her desire to run. Her antics had led to a few jarring falls, and a lot of bruises followed by a frantic chase to track down the horse in question. Star, for her part had been quite amused by the whole thing. To her, it had been a fun game. Lei'lira had not been as amused, especially when her bruised muscles had begun to ache. But Lei'luna had helped her to see the humor in the situation...mostly by laughing at her until she couldn't help but laugh at herself.

Still, it was with great relief that she watched a local boy lead Star into the field that served as a rest area for visitors' horses. Once she was satisfied that Star had been seen to, she made her way over to the library on foot. The librarian looked busy, so Lei'lira decided to browse through the shelves on her own rather than disturb her. Before long, she was lost among the books.

Although she did find several books about herbs that looked promising, her aimless browsing had turned up some other books that looked interesting as well. When she had gathered a good sized stack, she found an empty table that offered good lighting since it was near a window, and made herself comfortable. She separated the books she had chosen by their subject matter, and opened her journal to the first blank page so she could take notes. Then, since she had come with the intention to learn about herbs, she decided to start with those books.

Mint is a very versatile herb that can be found easily in the wild, but can also be grown in one's garden. There are many different types of mint, but they share one primary characteristic; they all have broad, green leaves that release a strong minty scent when bruised. Different types of mint can taste different, and have different uses. Mint grows year round, unlike many other plants.

Some of the varieties of mint are listed here. Peppermint is possibly the most well known variety. It is a hearty herb that gives off a minty smell when you rub its leaves. When dried, the leaves can be made into a tea, but it can also be used fresh when cooking. Both forms are good for soothing an upset stomach, freshening breath, and relieving cold symptoms. Spearmint is another common variety of mint. It tastes great when added to salads, and can be used as a remedy for nausea. Catnip, or catmint is particularly appealing to cats, who love to roll in its leaves. It can be used as either a tea, or a salve to treat a variety of conditions such as dandruff, hemorrhoids, fever, headaches, diarrhea, insect bites and anxiety.

Lei'lira couldn't help but smile in amusement as she read the part about the catnip.

What's so funny?

I was reading about catnip. The book mentions that cats like it. Do you remember when the postman gave us a small pouch of dried catnip?

Lei'luna chuckled.

Do I ever! Had you told me that cats could get drunk before I saw how Shadow acted when you gave it to her, I never would have believed you. I don't know what was funnier; watching her under the influence of the stuff, or watching her try to recover her dignity when she realized you were watching her...that look of utter disgust she gave you...

Lei'lira bit back a laugh.

Stop reminding me of that! We're in a public place! People will think I'm crazy if you make me laugh here! she protested.

Her wolf spirit chuckled again.

You're the one who brought it up, dear. Now go back to your reading. And don't laugh. You don't want people thinking that you're insane.

Lei'lira took a brief look around to make sure no one was watching her before sticking her tongue out at Lei'luna.

Yes, mother.

Lemon mint, or bergamot has a lemon odor when crushed. It is sometimes used to make a tea similar to lemonade. A tea made from either fresh or dried leaves can help with stomach aches, nausea, parasites and other digestive disorders, fevers, and headaches. But like other varieties of mint, it should not used by pregnant women because large doses of the herb can cause a miscarriage.

Lemon balm can be used to treat colds, the flu, and insomnia. It can also be used to ease some allergies. When used in cooking, it can be used as a garnish for drinks and tangy dishes to add a delicate lemon flavor. It is especially good when used with fish.

Applemint, or wooly mint is known for its bright green, fuzzy leaves. It gives off an invigorating apple scent that makes it ideal for flavoring teas, jellies and sauces. Thee are especially good when used with poultry or meat dishes. The leaves can be eaten raw in salads, or cooked as a potherb. The medicinal uses for this herb include treating upset stomachs, fevers, and insect bites.

I think I'm going to have to try cooking with some of these herbs. I started out looking for herbs I could use in simple remedies, but some of these sound delicious.

Like what? Lei'luna asked curiously.

Well, I'm researching mint right now. But there are a bunch of different kinds. You'd think they'd all taste like mint, but they have lemon mint and lemon balm that taste like lemon, and applemint which tastes like apples.

That's...odd. But I'm still waiting to hear about what tastes so good.

I just told you!

Lei'luna snorted.

Well, if you ask me...if you really want to find an herb that tastes good, then you need to find one that tastes like a freshly killed deer. Mmm...now that tastes good!

Lei'lira gave serious thought to throwing one of the books at her wolf familiar. In the end, she decided against it. If she damaged the library's property, she would probably be thrown out, and banned from ever coming back. Besides...it wouldn't do her any good, anyway. Even if she managed to hit Lei'luna with the book, it would just pass right through her.

I'll keep that in mind. Lei'lira said dryly as she returned to her reading.
word count: 1111
Lei'lira
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

[Warrick] Forgotten Key

Chocolate mint looks different from other varieties in that it has a purple stem. It tastes and smells like chocolate. It can be used fresh or dried in teas, baked goods, and as a topping on fresh fruit.

That last one doesn't seem to have any medicinal uses...but it sure sounds like it would taste good! she thought.

Pineapple mint has creased leaves, and the edges are the color of cream. It is one of the more attractive looking types of mint, and it has a fruity scent. This herb can be used either fresh or dried to add sweetness to teas and baked goods.

Ginger mint is very easy to grow, and smells like spearmint. Its leaves are veined with yellow, giving it a distinct look. Ginger mint has antiseptic properties, and is used to treat stomach problems. It can also be used to repel rats and other rodents.

Sounds like I could use some of that growing around my barn, then. I never really thought of being able to use plants to drive pests away. I wonder if there are any other kinds of herbs that can do that? Lei'lira mused.

Curly mint is known for it's unique fluted, curled leaves. It can be used as a garnish, or to add mint flavor to both hot and cold drinks, jams, jellies, sauces, and candy.

Water mint is a strongly scented herb that smells similar to peppermint. It requires a lot of moisture in order to thrive, and is known for its sphere shaped lavender flowers. Water mint leaves can be dried and used in teas that will help with digestive problems, fevers, and headaches. It can also be used as a gargle to ease sore throats. When fresh, it can be used in salads.

Wild mint is also known as field mint, or corn mint. It can be found growing in gardens, along streams, ditches, and riverbanks, as well as in fields and meadows. It is a useful plant that can be used to help repel rodents, and insects. Dried or fresh, the leaves can be used in herbal teas, and a variety of foods. This herb can be used to treat a number of conditions, including fevers, flu, pneumonia, headaches, heart issues, colds, and diarrhea.

I've seen that one before! Lei'lira thought excitedly.

It grows in the meadow near out farm. I'll have to get some when I get home.

Lei'lira took notes as she read. She also tried to draw the different kinds of mint as best she could so she would know what they looked like if she ever found any. Her drawing skills were horrible, but she tried her best, and her efforts had varying results.

Pennyroyal is an herb that does best in full sun, and well drained soil. It can be good for women's issues, and digestion, but it should never be used by pregnant women as too much of it can cause a miscarriage. The herb can also be used to help prevent fleas and ticks on pets, but it should never be used on cats.

Horse mint enjoys sunny areas and damp soil. It is known for its serrated leaves. The leaves can be used when fresh or dried, in teas and salads. The essential oil made from this herb can be used to add a peppermint flavor to recipes. The herb is used to treat digestive issues, and has strong antiseptic properties.

Corsican mint grows as a beautiful bright green, moss like, ground cover with tiny light purple flowers. It prefers moist soil and shady areas. The herb has an especially strong scent and taste and is known for its use in creme de menthe and other liqueurs. A tea can be made from the dried leaves of this plant that will treat digestive illness, headaches, and fever.

There were other kinds of mint as well. It amazed Lei'lira just how many types of mint existed. She had heard of the plant, of course. Who hadn't? Mint seemed to grow pretty much everywhere, at least in Warrick. But she had always thought that mint was just...mint. That was clearly not the case. There were some similarities. A lot of the different kinds of mint seemed to help with the same kinds of problems, and none of them seemed to be safe for pregnant women, or nursing mothers as too much could reduce the milk a nursing mother produces, or cause a miscarriage. But there were a lot of differences as well. And judging by how much was left to the chapter she was currently reading, there was a lot more she could learn as well.

Lei'luna yawned, drawing Lei'lira's attention. It was obvious to her that the wolf spirit was getting bored of staying in one place while Lei'lira read.

Why don't you go exploring, Lei'luna? You look bored already, and I'm nowhere near done with what I'm doing.

Are you sure you don't mind? the wolf spirit asked eagerly.

Lei'lira grinned, and shook her head.

Let me know if you find anything interesting, okay?

I will!

Lei'lira watched her friend leave before turning back to the book she was reading.

People who wish to grow mint in their gardens should be aware that it can be a very aggressive plant. Unless kept carefully in check, it will take over your entire garden, and even the rest of your yard as well. In order to keep it in check, it it best to plant mint in pots that have no bottoms, and then plant the mint in the garden, pot and all. This will keep the roots growing down rather than spreading out throughout the entire garden. But the best way of all to keep mint from growing out of control is to keep the plants in separate pots instead of planting them in the garden itself.

Some types of mint can be grown from seeds, but others cannot as some mint varieties are sterile. Even with the types that can be grown from seeds, this is the most unreliable means of growing mint since mint seeds are highly variable; it is entirely possible that the type of mint you end up with will not be the type you wanted to grow. As a result, it is far better to grow mint from cuttings, or to find some mint growing in the wild and transplant it into your garden.

If you choose to transplant mint found in the wild, you must dig the herb up carefully so that you do not destroy its roots. Mint grows close to the surface, so you will not have to dig very deep to get all of the roots. Some of the soil the plant was growing in should be left attached to the roots. The transplanted plants should then be planted about a foot apart in an area that is partially shaded. Then water them thoroughly. and keep the soil moist; mint usually prefers damp areas, and won't produce strongly scented leaves if grown in dry soil.

To grow mint from a cutting, you must detach a three inch long piece of stem from a parent plant. The leaves from the lowermost inch or so of the slip must then be removed before it is placed into a cup of water and placed on a window ledge. The cutting will start to grow roots of its own. After about a week, the roots will be half an inch long, and the plant will then be ready to go into the ground.

All varieties of mint thrive near pools of water, lakes, rivers, and cool moist spots in partial shade. But mints are a hearty breed. They can tolerate a wide range of conditions, so they can also be grown in full sun. Just as mint grows year round, the harvesting of mint leaves can be done at any time, as well. Fresh leaves should be used immediately. Dried leaves should be stored in an airtight container placed in a cool, dark, dry area.

Mint has a wide variety of uses. It is edible, and different types of mint can be used in different foods. It is a medicinal herb that can treat a number of ailments that vary from one type to another. Mint can be used to freshen one's breath simply by chewing on a few leaves. A pouch of dried mint leaves can give clothes a pleasant scent if kept among them. Growing mint will attract beneficial insects such as honeybees and hoverflies because it is rich in nectar and pollen. At the same time, it will repel ants and flies. Mint has a cooling sensation when applied to the skin, so it can be used to relieve some minor forms of pain. This can be done by rubbing crushed mint leaves on the affected area, or applying a salve.

By the time that Lei'lira had finished her chapter, she was convinced that mint in one form or another was one of the herbs she wanted to grow. It might even be a good idea to grow several varieties. When Lei'luna returned, she was skimming through her notes to see if there was anything she had missed.

Find anything interesting? she asked.

Not really. Lei'luna replied with a sigh.

This place has too many books.

Lei'lira couldn't help but laugh. She stopped quickly though, when other people began staring at her with disapproval.

Well, what did you expect? This is a library, after all!

Lei'luna grumbled a response that Lei'lira couldn't quite hear.
word count: 1626
Lei'lira
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

[Warrick] Forgotten Key

Lei'lira skimmed through the book until she found some other herbs that looked promising.

Willow trees grow near sources of water such as rivers, and lakes. Their bark has many uses as a medicinal herb. When ground into a tea, and drunk, it will help in reducing fevers, pain, and inflammation. As a result, it can be useful in treating headaches, arthritis, and painful menstruation. When the tea is applied to an injury, it can help heal sores, burns, and cuts. Used as a gargle, the tea is also useful in treating inflamed gums.

I wouldn't be able to grow willow trees at the farm, of course, but I know where I could find some easily enough. Getting a steady supply of bark shouldn't be a problem. she mused.

Since she already knew what a willow tree looked like, she didn't bother attempting to draw one when she took her notes.

Plantain is a very common herb that be found growing just about anywhere, including places where there is very little light. It is is a clumped perennial herb which grows to about 10cm in height.

Lei'lira tried her best to draw each of the two types of plantain that were pictured in the book. As she did so, she promised she would work on trying to improve her drawing skills some day. If she managed to do so, it would be very useful when she was trying to draw pictures of herbs that she wanted to be able to recognize.

Plantain is edible. Young leaves can be eaten raw in salads, but as the leaves age, they become stringy and tough. They can, however, be cooked when this happens. This herb has several medical uses as well. The leaves, and the juice can be used as topical substances in poultices and lotions for treating sunburns, stings, insect bites, snakebites, poison ivy breakouts, rashes, burns, blisters, and cuts. When heated and applied topically to swollen joints, sore muscles, sprains, and sore feet, this herb can ease the pain caused by these ailments. And when drunk as a tea, it can help ease treating sore throats, and coughs, or be swished around the mouth to help with mouth sores.

Plantain is good for easing swelling when made into a poultice. This can be used on people, and animals alike. The roots can be used to relieve toothaches, and headaches, as well as healing poor gums. Plantain seeds are very rich in fiber, so they can be used as a natural laxative if someone is constipated. And teas made from the plant, can be used to treat diarrhea, dysentery, intestinal worms, and bleeding mucous membranes.

Lei'lira wondered if there was any plantain growing on the farm. She'd have to look when she got home. And if there wasn't, she'd have to see if she could find some to transplant into her garden. She didn't think there was much more she could get out of the book she was reading as many of the herbs mentioned were not ones that would grow in her area. So she set the book aside, and picked up another one.

The Slippery elm is a small tree that has a reddish brown trunk. Gray-white bark grows on the branches. The branches grow downward and have long, slender green leaves. In Ashan, dark brown floral buds appear and open into small, clustered flowers at the tips of the branches. These trees thrive in moist uplands, but they can be found growing in dry soils as well.

The bark is the part of the tree that is most often used. It should be collected during Ashan, and taken from the bole and larger branches of the tree. Then it must be dried before it can be used.
The tree's fibrous inner bark produces a strong and durable fiber that can be spun into thread, twine, or rope. It can be used in making bow strings, ropes, jewellery, clothing, woven mats, and even some musical instruments. The inner bark can also be used to make canoes, baskets, and even shelters.

The inner bark can be used as a source of food, if it is ground and eaten as porridge. It is very nutritious, and has a similar taste and consistency to oatmeal. Some people like to add milk and honey, or cinnamon, nutmeg, or lemon rind to it just as they would with oatmeal. Invalids, and elderly people who sometimes have difficulty keeping anything else down can often eat this. It is a wholesome, sustaining food, making it especially good for infants who are just starting out on solid foods, and children as well. But anyone can eat it, and it often makes a good source of food if nothing else can be found.

There are medical uses for the inner bark as well. Slippery elm bark can be ground into two kinds of powder; coarse, and fine. Both kinds of powder should be greyish or fawn colored. If it is dark or reddish in color, good results will not be obtained. The coarse powder can be used as poultices, salves, and balms, while the fine powder is good for making teas. A slippery elm poultice is very simple to make; all that is needed to add water to ten rice sized pieces of the bark to to produce a jelly like substance that can be applied topically.

Poultices, salves, and balms made from the bark and are good for soothing, healing and reducing both pain, and inflammation. It is one of the best herbs to use on wounds, boils, ulcers, burns, cold sores, abscesses, rheumatism, gout, hemorrhoids, sore throats, and toothaches. It can also be used as a lubricant to ease labor.

In tea form, it can soothe sore throats, relieve coughs, and help with diarrhea, constipation,, colic, and stomach issues. It also eases the discomfort caused by eating too many hot or spicy foods.

Lei'lira stood, and stretched. After sitting for so long, her bruises from her numerous falls were starting to ache. Deciding that she needed a bit of a break, she gathered up the stack of books related to herbs, and returned them to where she'd found them. While learning about different herbs was both fascinating, and useful, Lei'lira wanted to make the most of her time at the library. She didn't like to take the time away from her farm often, so she didn't journey to the village often. And now that she was here, there were a number of subjects she wanted to read up on. It took her several bits to put the books she was done with away, but the time spent was well worth it. After the short break, her mind felt refreshed, and she was ready to get back to work.
word count: 1148
Lei'lira
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

[Warrick] Forgotten Key

As she glanced through the remaining books, one book in particular caught her eye. It was one that discussed the three main languages spoken in Rynmere, giving a little information on the people who spoke them. But it also gave lessons on how to speak each of the languages, and that was what drew Lei'lira's attention.

Their mother had insisted that she and Lazuli grew up speaking Xanthea, and their father had given in rather than argue with her. As a child, Lei'lira had been proud to know her mother's native language because it was one more thing they had in common; yet another thing that bonded them together. But now, Lei'lira was all too aware of the disservice their mother had done them. Common was the language spoken most often in Rynmere. And while one could get by knowing only Xanthea, or Rakahi, it was often difficult to understand what was going on around you, and to make yourself understood. Besides...Lei'lira loved to read. Knowing another language well enough to read books written in it would more than double what was available for her to read. Although she had managed to find a good number of books written in Xanthea, there were many more that she could not read because she didn't know Common well enough.

Lei'lira was determined to remedy this problem. While she was on her farm, it wasn't an issue since the only person she was likely to encounter on a regular basis was Lazuli, and she spoke Xanthea, too. But even though she rarely ever left the farm, she did have to venture out into the world sometimes. When she did, she needed to be able to communicate. With that thought in mind, she began to read.

There are three languages that are spoken in Rynmere; Common, Xanthea, and Rakahi. Of the three, Common is the primary language of the kingdom. It is the native language of the human race, and as humans are the predominant race in Rynmere, Common is the main language spoken. It is also the language of choice when members of two different races wish to communicate no matter where they live, as it is more likely that both parties will be able to speak Common than it is for one person to understand the native language of a race that is not their own.

That makes sense. Lei'lira thought.

Common is like a...trade language. It is spoken everywhere in the world when people of different races have to interact with each other. Whereas a person's native language would be used mostly when among their own race, or among people who know the language, and want to have a private conversation while surrounded by others who do not speak it. The book says that Common is the native language of humans, but it might be possible to say that it is the native languages of those who have mixed blood, as well. It seems likely that both parents would know Common, and they may or may not understand their spouse's native tongue. Besides...is it really fair for one parent to insist their children speak their language while they can't speak that of their other parent?

Lei'lira shook her head to clear her thoughts. Then she quickly lost herself in the book once more. The book offered a wide variety of lessons in Common. Some focused on vocabulary. Names of everything from flowers, to foods, to household items, to colors, and everything in between. Other chapters dealt with simple phrases such as greetings, asking how to get somewhere, how much something cost, or what time it was. Still others discussed grammar, and conjugating verbs. There were even chapters focused on terms and tools for specific jobs, or holidays. Utterly fascinated by what she was reading, Lei'lira devoured it all.

As she read, she would practice saying the words she learned in her head until she became familiar enough with them that she thought she could remember them. She paid close attention to how they were spelled and the tips on how to pronounce them as well as what they meant. Lei'lira also took plenty of notes. In some cases, she summarized entire chapters rather than jotting down just the important parts.

When Lei'lira looked at the other books that focused on teaching languages, she picked up more vocabulary that she copied down intently, wanting to learn it later. Most of the books she had chosen focused on Common. But there was one on Rakahi that described it as a difficult language for an outsider to learn. It offered some vocabulary as well, mostly simple phrases, and greetings. Lei'lira copied these down as well. She had always done well in school because she loved to learn, and this was no different. This was an opportunity for her to learn a little Rakahi, and she was going to take it; she liked the idea of eventually knowing at least the basics of all three of the languages spoken in Rynmere.

It was time for another break because Lei'lira's eyes were starting to feel the strain of reading so much. So she took the time to put the books she was finished with away, then went outside for a quick meal. She still has some of the supplies she'd brought for her trip, so she ate an apple, and a piece of bread as a quick meal. Both she and Lei'luna were happy for the rest, even if the wolf spirit's happiness stemmed more from a relief of boredom.
word count: 950
Lei'lira
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

[Warrick] Forgotten Key

When she was ready to get back to studying, Lei'lira followed an impulse. She looked up the words wolf and spirit in both Common, and Rakahi. She practiced the phrase in both languages several times, paying close attention to the way the books said the words were pronounced. Then she turned to Lei'luna.

Did you know that you are a wolf spirit, and a wolf spirit as well as a wolf spirit? she asked with a teasing grin.

The first phrase had been spoken in Common, the second in Rakahi, and the third in Xanthea. Lei'luna stared at her in bewildered confusion. Since they were speaking mind to mind, it took her several bits to "hear" the differences in the words. Then she grinned back at Lei'lira.

Two can play at that game. How do you say silly goose in Common, and Rakahi?

Lei'lira laughed, causing the other people in the room to look at her strangely. She quickly apologized, and buried herself in yet another book. But once no one was watching her anymore, she stuck her tongue out at Lei'luna. Then the moment of silliness passed, and she went back to reading in earnest.

Sheep tend to be divided into two different groups: ram breeds, and ewe breeds. Black face sheep are ram breeds, and white face sheep are ewe breeds. The ram breeds are considered to be meat breeds, and are known for their muscling for meat production. Ewe breeds, on the other hand are considered to be wool breeds, and are known for their high quality wool.

When raising sheep, it is important to decide whether you want to raise purebred sheep, or whether you want to crossbreed between two or more breeds in the hopes of producing lambs that have the best qualities of all the breeds used in the breeding program.

Lei'lira paused in her reading to give the matter some thought. Her dream was to build a horse breeding ranch. One that would be known for breeding some of the best horses in Rynmere. Most of her work would be toward that goal. But she knew that raising other types of animals would further that goal. The more food her farm could produce, the less she would have to buy, and the more nels she would have to put into her breeding farm. To that end, it made sense to have cows, goats, and sheep because they would provide a ready source of milk that could be used as it was, or made into cream, cheese, and butter. They could be used as a source of meat as well, and sheep could provide wool that could be used to make clothes, and blankets, with the surplus being sold as another source of income for the breeding farm. Likewise, raising chickens would offer a ready supply of eggs, and poultry.

Lei'lira didn't plan to have a huge number of sheep, but she was interested in buying enough to give her a decent sized flock. Her main interest in sheep was as a source of wool, and milk. But she liked the idea of crossbreeding to get offspring that were good both for producing high quality wool, and for meat.

You should purchase your ram early. Buying him at least one month before breeding time is preferable. This gives you time to purchase the right ram to suit your needs. It also gives him to get adjusted to the farm. During the adjustment period, it is important to keep him separated from the flock for part of that time in order to make sure he is not carrying any contagious diseases such as foot rot or sore mouth. You will need one adult ram for 35 to 40 ewes on your farm. Younger rams can breed up to 15 to 20 ewes.

When choosing a ram, it is important to buy the best one you can afford. If the ram is young when you buy him, he has the potential to sire between 200 and 300 lambs in his lifetime. A high quality ram will have good size and bone. He will be vigorous and active, and have a strong and masculine appearance. A ram should have a broad muzzle, straight back, thick chest, and deep hindquarters. He should be standing square on all four feet, be up on his pasterns. And he should have a good fleece.

Rams tend to be more aggressive during Vhalar, when the ewes are in season. The exception to this is if the breed you own has the ability to breed out of season. In this case, the rams will tend to be aggressive all the time.

Before breeding, it is important to check your ram for soundness. A visual examination of the feet and legs should show any signs of lameness as well as evidence of foot rot or foot scald. To do this, pick up the ram’s feet and check between his toes for any sign of redness or infection. You should also check the ram’s eyes for signs of anemia. In a healthy ram, the tissues near the eye should be bright pink in color. If they are gray or white in appearance, the ram probably needs to be dewormed.

It is a good idea to shear the ram before the breeding season because checking the body condition of the ram can be done more easily without all of the extra wool getting in the way. Your ram should have some extra condition or fat reserves, but not be overly fat. During the course of the breeding season, he can lose up to 10% of his body weight, so it is important that he is not too thin. A fat ram may be lazy, and not want to breed. This can also happen with rams who are too hot from having long wool. On the other hand, thin rams will have less energy for breeding.

Starting roughly thirty days before breeding, the ewes should be flushed. This means increasing the amount of feed they get each day. Doing this will cause them to gain weight, and increase the chance that they will produce twins. Ewes will lose weight as they are nursing their lambs, so they need extra feed to keep up their energy needed for milk production. The extra feed will also keep the ewes in good health during their pregnancies, and help insure lambs are both developed and large enough in size to survive outside their mother’s womb when they are born.

Lei'lira took careful notes as she read. Some of the things, such as the illnesses that she read about were things she wanted to learn more about once she actually bought some sheep; specifically how to treat them if they sprang up. But since it would be a while before she was ready to buy them, she decided to set the book she was reading aside and look at some of the others.
word count: 1174
Lei'lira
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

[Warrick] Forgotten Key

Colic is a relatively common disorder in horses. The term itself refers to abdominal pain. There are several different kinds that can range from mild to severe. Some can be treated, while others are fatal. Symptoms may include the following; pawing at the ground, the afflicted horse looking at its flank repeatedly, rolling, or showing signs of wanting to lie down, playing in the water bucket but not drinking, lack of appetite, inability to defecate, excessive sweating, continual shifting of weight on the hind legs, standing against a wall and moving infrequently, and frequent attempts to urinate. Horses with more severe abdominal pain may show signs of grunting, persistent movement, even in their stall, kicking at their belly, repetitively lying down and then getting back up, and rolling after lying down. Colicky foals may lay on their back with their legs tucked rather than showing the usual symptoms of colic.

The condition can be caused by a wide variety of things such as; eating too much grain, or feed that is moldy or tainted, an abrupt change in diet, accidentally consuming sand along with their food, not getting enough water, parasites, or dental problems, which can affect the way a horse chews its food. Knowing what caused the colic attack is important, because that knowledge can help you prevent future cases of it from occurring. For example, if a sudden change in diet was the cause, then changing the horse's diet gradually when necessary should help prevent the problem. Other methods of preventing colic include making sure your horses always have plenty of fresh water, and food; always check to make sure that none of their hay is moldy. Roughly half of their food should come from foraging, so it is important to turn them out to pasture and allow them to graze as much as possible during the trial. Maintaining a regular feeding schedule is important too, as is giving them regular exercise. Giving a horse its water and hay before its grain will help as well. And make sure that you never water your horse before you cool it down after exercising it.

Most cases of colic involve gas, or blockages caused by constipation. They can be treated by medicines to ease the horse's pain, in combination with using mineral oil or other laxatives to soften the blockage, and encouraging motility by walking the afflicted horse. Colicky horses should not be fed hay or grain until they pass manure, and the colic has resolved. If a blockage is present, more food will worsen the constipation the horse is experiencing. But walking the horse, and feeding it a small amount of fresh grass may help stimulate bowel movement. Most cases of colic will respond to this type of treatment within a few breaks.

I guess that makes sense. A horse can't throw up the way a dog, cat, or person can, if they get an upset stomach. This seems to be similar to that. None of my horses have ever suffered colic before, but I'll want to find out what kinds of medicines can be used to ease their pain if it ever does. she mused.

Lei'lira glanced out the window beside her table. The afternoon light was starting to pale, warning that the day would be over in a few more breaks. Lei'luna was staring out the window longingly. The wolf spirit was meant for the out of doors, or the comfort of their farm. Places such as this, ones that were full of strangers, made her restless.

We won't stay too much longer, Lei'luna. she promised.

Lei'luna turned to her.

Thank you. I know the things you are learning are important, but... the wolf spirit turned back to the window with a wistful sigh.

Lei'lira returned to the books with renewed determination. She skimmed through the rest of the book she was reading, but most of it seemed to deal with things that she simply couldn't understand with her current level of knowledge. And while she could look for more books to help her understand the material, she too wanted to leave soon. The library, while a fascinating place filled with knowledge for the taking, made her feel closed in, and anxious because of all the strangers. So she set the book aside, and began searching for another. On closer examination, the other books she'd selected on animal care were either about animals she no intention of ever owning, or they were about treatments for ailments that went well beyond her limited understanding of such things. After a while, Lei'lira gave up, and switched subjects completely.
word count: 782
Lei'lira
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

[Warrick] Forgotten Key

It didn't take Lei'lira long to find another book she wanted to read. Training animals went hand in hand with her desire to run a horse breeding farm because three year olds that were trained to bear a rider would sell for more than ones who were not. Besides...if she knew how to train a dog, maybe she could finally get Shinta and Maia to obey her more often.

The first thing one needs to know about training an animal is that not all animals can be trained. Some, like the chicken, simply aren't smart enough to be trainable. Others are too dangerous to work with. Another thing to keep in mind is that there is no use in trying to train an animal to do something they are incapable of doing, whether it is because they are physically incapable of such an act, or it goes completely against their nature. A falcon cannot be trained to pull a wagon, or be a beast of burden. Nor will you ever have any luck in training a horse to hunt for you. But with the right animal, and a great deal of patience, training an animal can be a very rewarding experience for all involved.

Another thing to keep in mind is that there are different levels of training. The easiest is basic training. For a horse, that would mean teaching it to accept a rider, and to be comfortable around people, and any other animals living around it. Basic training for a dog would mean teaching it simple obedience; things like "no," "sit," "stay," "come," "leave it," and "down." But dogs can also be taught to hunt either for, or with you, to guard your home, camp, or herds, and herd sheep and other animals. They can even be taught how to do tricks for the amusement of their owners, or to perform in front of crowds. Larger breeds can be trained to pull a small cart for a young child, or a travois to aid a hunter in bringing their kill home. Horses can be taught how to run in a race, jump over fences, pull a cart or wagon, or even carry a warrior wearing full armor into battle, and fight along side them in need.

Lei'lira grinned to herself. This book was exactly what she needed. After taking detailed notes on the introduction, she flipped through the other chapters. As she suspected, they went further into how to teach different animals to do specific tasks. She didn't have time to read the whole book, but she really didn't need to. None of the information on training falcons, owls, and eagles applied to her, and she really didn't need to know how to train a war horse. What she did need was some basic training for both dogs, and horses.

Teaching a dog how to sit is one of the easiest commands for them to learn, so it is a good one to start with. Start by holding a treat close to your dog’s nose. Then move your hand up, allowing their head to follow the treat, and causing their bottom to lower. Once he or she is in sitting position, say “Sit,.” Then give your dog the treat. It is very important that you show the dog some affection as well, because this will reinforce the idea that you are happy with their behavior in their mind. After you have done this once, repeat the sequence a few times each trial until they will sit on command every time.

Come is a command that can help keep your dog out of trouble if it finds something it shouldn't get involved with. Start by moving a few feet away from the dog, and say "come" while showing it a treat. When the dog approaches to get the treat, give it to them, and shower them with affection. It's best to start teaching this command in a safe, enclosed area such as your house. Then when the dog has mastered the command there, move the exercise outside, but stay in an area that is familiar to the dog, and continue with the training. Finally, take the dog to an unfamiliar area, and keep practicing until the animal will come to you reliably no matter where you are.

Stay is another important command for a dog to learn. But in order to teach it, the dog must first be reliable with obeying the command to sit. The first step is to ask your dog to "sit." Once they do, open the palm of your hand in front of you, and say “Stay.” Take a few steps back, and reward them with a treat and affection if they stay. Do this repeatedly several times, and gradually increase the number of steps you take before giving them treat. It is important that you always reward your dog for staying put, even if it’s just for a few trills. It will reinforce the behavior you are trying to teach. This is an exercise in self control for your dog, so don’t be upset if it takes a while to master. Especially if you are working with a puppy, or a dog that has a lot of energy.

Down can be one of the more difficult commands you teach, because the position is a submissive posture. You can help by keeping training positive and relaxed, particularly with fearful or anxious dogs. It will also help if you use your dog's favorite treat as an added incentive. Hold the treat in your closed fist while holding your fist up to the dog's snout so he or she will realize you have the treat. When they sniff it, move your hand to the floor, so they follow. Then slide your hand along the ground in front of them to encourage their body to follow their head. Once they are in the down position, say “Down,” give them the treat, and share affection to reinforce the behavior. It is very important to repeat the sequence several times every trial. If your dog tries to sit up, or lunges toward your hand, say “No,” and take your hand away. Don’t push them into a down position. Make sure to encourage every step your dog takes toward the right position.

Leave it is a command that can help keep your dog safe when their curiosity gets the better of them, such as if they smell something intriguing, but possibly dangerous on the ground. The goal is to teach your dog that they will get something even better for ignoring the other item. The first step is to place a treat in both hands. Show your dog one enclosed fist with the treat inside, and say, “Leave it.” Then let them lick, sniff, mouth, paw, and bark to try to get it; ignore these behaviors. When they stop trying, give them the treat from the other hand. Continue this until your dog moves away from that first fist when you say, “Leave it.” Once that has been mastered, only give your dog the treat when he or she moves away from that first fist, and also looks up at you. When your dog consistently moves away from the first treat, and gives you eye contact when you say the command, you’re ready to move on to the next stage.

The second stage of teaching this command involves using two different kinds of treats; an ordinary one, and your dog's favorite treat. Start by saying “Leave it,” and place the less attractive treat on the floor. Cover it with your hand. Wait until your dog ignores that treat and looks at you. When they do, remove that treat from the floor. Then give them the better treat, and share affection immediately. Once that has been mastered, place the less tasty treat on the floor… but don’t completely cover it with your hand. Hold it a little bit above the treat, instead. Then repeat the process. Over time, gradually move your hand farther and farther away, until your hand is about six inches above the treat.

The final stage of teaching this command is to practice using it while you are standing up. This is accomplished by using the same steps as before, but if they try to snatch the less tasty treat, cover it with your foot. Take your time with each stage, and make sure your dog has truly mastered it before moving on to the next. By teaching this command, you’re asking a lot of your dog. If you move on to a higher stage, and they're really struggling to master it, go back to the previous stage.

The basic commands for training a dog seemed simple enough, but Lei'lira took careful notes on each command before turning to the next chapter she wanted to read. Then she turned to look at Lei'luna thoughtfully.

Maybe I should try what this book suggests out on you before I start trying to work with Shinta and Maia. she mused with a grin.

She showed her wolf familiar the pictures that went along with the explanations of what to do with each command.

What do you think? What kind of treat would work with you?

Lei'luna snorted, as an impish look crept into her eyes.

I think a better use of my time would be for me to try to train you. I am supposed to be your guide, among other things, after all.

They both shared a quick laugh before Lei'lira went back to her studying.

There are two ways to break a horse to accept a rider. One is to use force; putting a well trained rider on its back, and letting the horse wear itself out trying to dislodge them...repeatedly. Eventually, the horse will accept its fate, and allow itself to be ridden reliably in most cases. But some horses never submit to this method, and the process is likely to ruin them. Even when it does work, it causes the horse to fear and resent the rider. In turn, the horse is likely to act out frequently.

The second method is to gentle the horse. It starts when they are a foal, by handling them often, and getting them used to contact. Then when they are old enough to ride, this method will build a trust with the person who handles them, which will last a lifetime. This is the method that will be taught in this book.

It is dangerous to begin riding a horse before it is ready to be ridden. Riding a young horse that hasn't finished growing and developing yet can cause medical problems that will persist throughout its life. To prevent this, never ride any horse that is younger than three arcs old. Some trainers prefer to wait until the animal is 3 1/2, or 4 arcs before riding them to be safe.

One thing to remember when using the gentling method is that horses, like children, like to mimic those around them. So if a young horse sees you putting a halter or bridle on another horse, sees that the process does not hurt them, and that the other horse gets a treat out of the deal, then they will want you to do it to them, too. With that in mind, it is a good idea to use the "two horse method," where you use a second, well trained horse to demonstrate what you want the younger horse to learn. Giving treats when the horse cooperates will reinforce the behavior you are trying to teach.

Before simply putting a saddle, and bridle on a green horse, it is very important for you to give them the chance to become comfortable with the equipment first. Show them the piece of riding equipment you want to introduce; let them smell it, and touch it. This will reassure them that the item isn't going to hurt them. Let them see you putting the equipment on another horse several times, as well. When they see the other horse is getting a treat as a reward for wearing the piece of riding equipment, they will want to do it, too.

Go slowly when you introduce each piece of riding equipment to the horse. If they show even the slightest signs of fear or unease, stop what you are doing, and reassure them with calm words, and affection. Only start again when you are certain the horse is calm once more. It is also important not to overwhelm the horse you are trying to train. Make sure that the animal is completely comfortable with the first piece of equipment you introduce before approaching them with another. And never try to introduce more than one new piece of equipment in a single trial.

Once your horse is comfortable with all of the equipment needed to ride it, it is time to get them used to bearing weight on their back. Again, this is a gradual process. One of the best ways to start is to stand on a stool while grooming the horse, so you can press down on their back with your hands. Always give your horse a treat, and plenty of affection when you do this to reinforce the idea that they want to cooperate with you.

After the horse becomes used to bearing weight on its back while you are grooming it, you can try getting the animal to accept weight on its back while it is wearing a saddle. Only when the horse is completely comfortable with this stage will it be ready for you to try and sit on its back. While working with the horse throughout this process, be very careful not to overwhelm it. Work with the horse every day, but only for twenty bits or so each time.

Since Lei'lira was going to be training horses once her breeding farm became a reality, she copied the chapter she was reading word for word rather than simply taking notes on it. That way, she would have it to refer to when the time came that she would need it.
word count: 2388
Lei'lira
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

[Warrick] Forgotten Key

Lei'lira stood, and stretched before allowing herself a short break to return the books she was finished with back to their shelves. Then she went back to her table, and made herself comfortable once more. There was one more thing she wanted to read up on before calling it a trial. She, like most other people knew enough about cooking to cook meals that weren't likely to kill her. But to make something that actually tasted good...that was another story. Lei'lira had no illusions that what she was able to make was truly fit to eat. And she wanted to change that. So she glanced through her remaining books, selected one that looked promising, and began to read.

Cooking is a skill that is easy to learn. Even a child can produce simple, edible dishes. But it is a skill that can take a lifetime to truly master. There are many methods of cooking, and an endless variety of ingredients one can combine to make a meal. To truly call oneself a master at cooking, one must know how to handle every type of food, and every spice and seasoning, no matter how rare. They must also know the basics of all of the different methods of cooking, and be skilled at most of them. This book will discuss some of the different cooking techniques, and ways of preparing ingredients.

This looks promising. Lei'lira thought as she continued to read.

Bake: To cook food, covered or uncovered, using the direct, dry heat of an oven. This can be done with a brick oven if you own one. But it can also be done using an earth oven that anyone can make for themselves. Breads, pastries, and a variety of other dishes can be cooked in this manner.

Beat: To make a mixture smooth by briskly whipping or stirring it with a spoon, or fork.

Blanch: To immerse in rapidly boiling water, or steam, and allow to cook slightly. This technique is used mostly on fruits, vegetables, and nuts in order to intensify and set both color and flavor. It can also be used to help loosen the skins from tomatoes, peaches, and almonds.

Boil: To cook food in liquid by heating it until bubbles form in the liquid, and rise in a steady pattern, breaking at the surface. A rolling boil occurs when liquid is boiling so vigorously that the bubbles can't be stirred down. Simmering is another form of boiling, where the surface of the liquid should be barely moving, broken from time to time by slowly rising bubbles.

Lei'lira paused in confusion. The description of boiling spoke of liquid...wouldn't that mean water? Why not just say that, instead? But as she thought about it for a while, she realized that food could be boiled in other liquids as well, to give them added flavor.

Braise: To cook food slowly in a small amount of liquid in a tightly covered pan in the oven. This technique is recommended for tough cuts of meat.

Brown: To cook a food in a skillet, oven in order to add flavor, and aroma and develop a rich, desirable color on the outside while keeping moistness on the inside.

Caramelize: To heat sugar in order to turn it brown and give it a special taste

Carve: Slice cooked meat, poultry, fish, or game into serving sized pieces.

Chop: To cut something into pieces with a knife.

Coat: To evenly cover food with crumbs, flour, or a batter. This is often done to meat, fish, and poultry before cooking.

Cream: To soften a fat, like butter, by beating it at room temperature. Butter and sugar are often creamed together using this method, to make a smooth, soft paste.

Crimp: To pinch or press pastry or dough together using your fingers, or a fork. It is usually done to create a piecrust edge.

Crush: To smash food into smaller pieces, generally using hands, or a mortar and pestle. Crushing dried herbs releases their flavor and aroma.

Cure: To preserve meats by drying and salting and/or smoking.

Cut In: To work a solid fat, such as butter into dry ingredients.

Deglaze: Adding a liquid such as water, wine, or broth to a skillet that has been used to cook meat. After the meat has been removed, the liquid is poured into the pan to help loosen the browned bits and make a flavorful sauce.

Dice: To cut food in small cubes of the same size and shape.

Lei'lira blinked in bemusement as she paused in her note taking.

And why would it be important if whatever you're cooking is cut the same size and shape, or not? she wondered before continuing to read.

Since smaller pieces will cook faster than larger ones, some recipes will call for dicing rather than chopping to prevent the smaller pieces from burning before the larger ones can cook all the way through.

Lei'lira chuckled quietly.

I guess that explains that, then.

Dissolve: To stir a solid food and a liquid food together to form a mixture in which none of the solid remains. The use of heat may be needed in order for the solid to dissolve depending on what ingredients are involved.

Drizzle: To pour a liquid in a thin stream over food.

Dust: To lightly coat or sprinkle a food with a dry ingredient, such as flour, sugar, or bread crumbs, either before or after cooking.

Lei'lira paused again. She couldn't even imagine drizzling or dusting her food with anything, but she did remember some of the fancy stuff she'd eaten at her grandmother's house having such things. In the odd event that she ever had to make something fancy, she dutifully copied those terms along with the others in her growing list.

Emulsify: To combine two liquid or semi liquid ingredients, such as oil and vinegar, that don't naturally dissolve into each other. To do this, you gradually add one ingredient into the other while whisking it rapidly with a fork.

Fillet: To remove the bones from meat or fish.

Flambe: To flame foods by dousing in some form of potable alcohol and setting on fire.

Flour: To coat or dust a food or utensil with flour. Food may be floured before cooking in order to add texture and improve browning, while utensils sometimes are floured to prevent sticking, which is especially useful in baking.

Fold: To incorporate a delicate substance, like whipped cream into another substance without releasing air bubbles. To do this, cut down through the mixture with a spoon, or fork. Then go across the bottom of the bowl, and up and over, close to the surface. This process is repeated while slowing rotating the bowl, until the ingredients are thoroughly blended.

Fry: To cook in hot fat. There are different methods of frying that depend on how much fat is used. Sauteing is the term used for frying something in a one or two inch layer of fat, while pan frying requires a lesser amount of hot fat, and deep fat frying requires a deep layer of it.

Glaze: To cook with a thin sugar syrup that is cooked to crack stage. It can also mean to cover something with a thin, glossy icing. This can be done with some meats, but it is usually done with desserts.

Grate: To rub food, such as cheese, and vegetables, across a grater to make very fine pieces.

Grease: To coat a pan or utensil with a thin layer of fat or oil. This is usually done to prevent food from sticking to the pan.

Julienne: To cut vegetables, fruits, or cheeses into thin strips.

Knead: To work dough with the heels of your hands in a pressing and folding motion until it becomes smooth.

Marinate: To soak food in a marinade, which is a seasoned liquid that meat, poultry, fish, shellfish, or vegetables can be soaked in, usually overnight. Doing so will infuse them with flavor, and tenderize them. Most marinades contain an acid, such as wine or vinegar. Dry marinade mixtures exist as well. They are made out of salt, pepper, herbs, or spices, and may also be rubbed into meat, poultry or seafood.

Mash: To press or beat a food to remove lumps and make a smooth mixture.

Melt: To heat a solid food, such as butter over very low heat until it becomes liquid, or semi-liquid.

Mince: To cut or chop food into extremely small pieces.

Mix: To combine ingredients by stirring them.

Moisten: To add just enough liquid to a dry ingredient, or mixture to make it damp, but not runny.

Mull: To slowly heat a beverage, such as cider, with spices and sugar.

Pan Broil: To cook something uncovered in a hot fry pan, while pouring off the fat as it accumulates.

Parboil: To boil something until it is partially cooked; to blanch it. This procedure is often followed by a final cooking in a seasoned sauce.

Pare: To remove the outermost skin of a fruit, or vegetable.

Peel: To remove the peels from vegetables or fruits.

Pickle: To preserve meats, vegetables, and fruits in brine.

Lei'lira's head swam as she tried to make sense of all of the new terms she was trying to learn.

What, exactly is the difference between paring something, and peeling it? Both involve removing the peels, or skins...or whatever else you want to call it! And why in the world are there so many ways to cook something?! How can anyone possibly keep all of this straight? I think I am beginning to understand why Grandmother says that a good cook is so hard to find, though...and why they are so expensive to hire. she thought in frustrated bemusement.

All I want to do is learn how to cook something that tastes good! she grumbled to herself.

Lei'luna chuckled at her.

If you were sensible like a wolf, you would just eat your food raw, and be done with it. It's much simpler that way. the wolf spirit informed her in a knowing tone of voice.

Lei'lira scowled at her, but her eyes betrayed her amusement. She chose not to reply, focusing on her notes, instead. They were clearly legible, but the terms were in no order that made sense to her. After some deliberation, she started over on a new sheet. This time, she separated the terms into lists like before, but rather than alphabetical, they were grouped by whether they were a method of cooking, preparing ingredients, or cutting them. She hoped that having three separate lists grouped in a way that made sense would make it easier for her to learn the terms when she went back to study them in more detail.
word count: 1817
Lei'lira
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

[Warrick] Forgotten Key

Lei'lira was about to start reading again, when a resigned sigh caught her attention. She glanced down to see Lei'luna looking bored out of her mind. Lei'lira couldn't blame her, either; she also felt the restless urge to move about. Neither of them were used to spending breaks on end sitting in one spot. And while Lei'lira was learning valuable information, part of her felt as though she was lazing about shamelessly.

Do you want to take a walk? I still have some more reading to do before we leave, but I think I'd like to take a short break, too.

The wolf spirit jumped at the chance eagerly. Lei'lira grinned at her as they left the library. The sunlight was starting to take on that pale quality that meant that late afternoon was approaching. She wouldn't have that many breaks left before it started to get dark, and she wanted to be at her grandmother's house before finding her way through the unfamiliar streets became even more difficult. So after half a dozen laps around the library, she headed back in to read some more.

Pinch: A pinch is the tiny amount that you can hold between your thumb and forefinger.

Pit: To remove the pits from fruits.

Lei'lira blinked at the last definition she had read.

I could have guessed that much on my own...

Planked: Food cooked on a thick hardwood plank.

Plump: To allow a food, such as raisins, to soak in a liquid. This causes them to swell up.

Poach: To cook something very gently in hot liquid that is kept just below the boiling point.

Pound: To strike a food with a heavy utensil in order to crush it. In the case of meat or poultry, this will break up the connective tissue in order to tenderize or flatten the meat.

Precook: To partially or completely cook a food before using it in a recipe.

What's the purpose of cooking something before you cook it...? Lei'lira wondered before continuing to read.

Proof: To allow a yeast dough to rise before baking.

Puree: To mash foods until they are perfectly smooth by rubbing them through a sieve.

Reduce: To decrease the amount of a liquid by boiling it rapidly in order to cause some to evaporate. As the liquid evaporates, it thickens, and intensifies in flavor. The resulting richly flavored liquid is called a reduction, and can be used as a sauce or as the base of a sauce.

Refresh: To run cold water over food that has been parboiled. This will stop the cooking process quickly.

Render: To make solid fat into liquid by melting it slowly.

Roll out: To form a food into a shape. Dough, for instance, can be rolled into ropes or balls. The phrase "roll out" refers to flattening a food, usually a dough or pastry, with a rolling pin.

Roast: A large piece of meat or poultry that is cooked by roasting. Roasting refers to a dry heat cooking method used to cook foods. This is done with the food uncovered, in an oven. Tender pieces of meat work best for roasting.

Saute: To cook, and/or brown food in a small amount of hot fat. Sauteed food is cooked, and stirred over fairly high heat in an open, shallow pan. Food cut into uniform size sautes the best.

Lei'lira remembered seeing the term saute mentioned as one of the different techniques of frying, but she flipped back, and added the additional information before she continued reading.

Scald: To bring food submerged in liquid to a temperature just below the boiling point.

Scallop: To bake a food, usually in a casserole, with a sauce or other liquid; crumbs are often sprinkled over the top.

Score: To cut narrow grooves or gashes partway through the outer surface of food. This can be done decorate it, something most often found in pies. But it can also be done to tenderize it, help it absorb flavor, or allow fat to drain as it cooks.

Lei'lira smiled as she read the last definition. Using it as a way to decorate food seemed silly to her. But she couldn't help but remember one year when the twins had celebrated their birthday twice. The first had been a small, private affair with her immediate family on their birthday itself. But their grandmother had wanted to throw them a party as well, so they had gone to her house a few days later. She had felt pure delight, and amazement when she and Lazuli had each gotten their own favorite pie with their names carved on the top. Well, scored on the top, if she was going to use the right term.

If I ever have twins of my own, I will have to do that for them, at least once. she thought fondly

Sear: To brown a food, usually meat, quickly on all sides using high heat. This helps seal in the juices.

Section: To separate and remove the membrane of segments of citrus fruits. It is done using a paring knife. First the peel and white rind must be removed. Then, working over a bowl to catch the juice, cut between one section of the fruit, and the membrane. Make sure to slice to the center of the fruit. Then turn the knife, and slide it up the other side of the section along the membrane, cutting outward. Repeat with the remaining sections.

Shred: To cut or tear in small, long, narrow pieces.

Shuck: To remove the shells from shellfish, or the husks from corn.

Sieve: To separate liquids from solids, by using a sieve.

Sift: To put one or more dry ingredients through a sieve in order to remove lumps.

Simmer: To cook food in a liquid that is kept just below the boiling point; a liquid is simmering when a few bubbles form slowly and burst just before reaching the surface.

Skewer: A skewer is a long, narrow stick made of wood, or metal that can be inserted through pieces of meat or vegetables for grilling. If using bamboo or wooden skewers, soak them in cold water for at least thirty bits before you put the food on them in order to prevent them from burning.

Skim: To remove a substance, such as fat or foam, from the surface of a liquid during cooking, thereby resulting in a clear, cleaner tasting final product.

Slice: To cut something into flat, thin pieces.

Steam: To cook a food in the vapor given off by boiling water.

Steep: To allow a food, such as tea, to stand in water that is just below the boiling point in order to extract flavor or color.

Stew: To cook food in liquid for a long time until tender, usually in a covered pot.

Stir: To mix ingredients with a circular motion until well blended.

Stir fry: A method of quickly cooking small pieces of food in a little hot oil while stirring constantly.

Stock: The strained clear liquid in which meat, poultry, or fish has been simmered with vegetables or herbs. It is similar to broth but is richer and more concentrated.

Scrape: To use a sharp utensil to rub the outer coating from a food, such as carrots.

Toast: The process of browning, crisping, or drying a food by exposing it to heat. Toasting some foods, such as nuts, and seeds, helps develop their flavor. It is also the process of exposing bread to heat so it becomes browner, crisper, and drier.

Toss: To mix ingredients lightly by lifting and dropping them using two utensils.

Truss: To secure poultry with string or skewers so it will hold its shape while cooking.

Whip: To beat a food lightly and rapidly using a wire whisk, in order to incorporate air into the mixture, and increase its volume.

Lei'lira was more than a little relieved when she reached the end of the chapter. She knew that the information she was taking notes on would help her a lot when she was able to study it, and start using it. But it made for painfully dull reading, and by now, the terms were whirling madly through her head so much that she was getting a headache. She really wanted to call it a day. Unfortunately, with her farm so far away from Fort Warrick, she only got the chance to make a trip to the library a few times an arc at most. Simply checking a book out when she wanted to read it wasn't an option for her. So each trip to the library required careful planning as to what she was going to learn about. And it meant she spend a full trial in the library, or as close to it as she could get, so she could make the most of her trip.

With that thought in mind, Lei'lira skimmed through the next chapter. It seemed to list and describe a number of different ingredients. Several of them sounded impossibly fancy, and Lei'lira ignored those. But some seemed like they would be either interesting, or useful, so she began taking notes once more, creating a new list as she did so.

Almond Paste: A creamy mixture made of ground, blanched almonds, and sugar. It is often used as a filling in pastries, cakes, and confections.

Argula: A brightly colored salad green with a slightly bitter, peppery, mustard like flavor.

Balsamic Vinegar: A syrupy, slightly sweet vinegar that is dark brown in color. This vinegar is made from the juice of the white Trebbiano grape. It gets its body, color, and sweetness from being aged in wooden barrels.

Batter: An uncooked, wet mixture that can be spooned or poured. It can be used to make cakes, pancakes, and muffins. Batters usually contain flour, eggs, and milk as their base. Some thin batters are used to coat foods before frying them.

Bean Sauce/Paste: These substances are made from fermented soybeans, and have a salty bean flavor.

Breading: A coating of crumbs, which may or may not be seasoned, on meat, fish, poultry, and vegetables. Breading is often made with soft or dry bread crumbs.

Brine: Heavily salted water used to pickle or cure vegetables, meats, fish, and seafood.

Broth: The strained clear liquid in which meat, poultry, or fish has been simmered with vegetables and herbs. It is similar to stock and can be used interchangeably with it.

Cheesecloth: A thin cotton cloth with either a fine or coarse weave. It is used in cooking to bundle up herbs, strain liquids, and wrap rolled meats.

Chili Oil: A fiery oil, flavored with chile peppers. It is used as a seasoning.

Chili Paste: A condiment that isavailable in mild or hot versions. It is made from chile peppers, vinegar, and seasonings.

Chutney: A condiment that is made of out of chopped fruit, vegetables, and spices, then enlivened by adding hot peppers, fresh ginger, or vinegar.

Cooking Oil: There are several different kinds, each made from different vegetables, nuts, or seeds. The types commonly used in cooking include corn, soybean, canola, sunflower, safflower, peanut, and olive. Cooking oils cannot be used interchangeably with solid fats in baking, because they do not hold air when they are beaten.

Eggs: Eating raw eggs can make you sick. Eggs should be cooked until both the yolk, and white are firm. Scrambled eggs should not be runny.

Fish Sauce: A pungent brown sauce made by fermenting fish in brine.

Flour: A milled food that can be made from many cereals, roots, and seeds. Wheat is the most popular type. Flour should be stored in an airtight container, and kept in a cool, dry place.

Giblets: The edible internal organs of poultry, including the liver, heart, and gizzard. They can be used to make gravy, or stock for soups and stews.

Glaze: A thin, glossy coating that can be either savory, or sweet. Savory glazes are made with reduced sauces, and sweet glazes can be made with melted jelly or sugar.

Honey: A sweet, sticky sweetener that is produced by bees, from floral nectar. Most honey is made from clover, but it can also be made from lavender, thyme, orange blossom, apple, cherry, buckwheat, and tupelo. The lighter the color of the honey, the milder its flavor will be. Honey should be stored at room temperature, in a dark place. If it crystallizes, reliquefy it by warming the honey jar slightly in a pan of very hot water. Honey that smells or tastes strange should be thrown out.

Juice: The natural liquid extracted from fruits, vegetables, meats, and poultry.

Lard: A product made from pork fat that is sometimes used for baking.

Lemongrass: A highly aromatic, lemon flavored herb.

Mushrooms: Mushrooms come in many colors and shapes, with flavors ranging from mild and nutty to meaty, woodsy, and wild. Dried mushrooms will swell into tender, flavorful morsels. Simply cover them in warm water, and soak them for about thirty bits. Then rinse well, and squeeze out the moisture. Remove and discard the tough stems. Use them as you would fresh mushrooms. But there are many poisonous varieties of mushrooms, so it is important to know which mushrooms are edible, and which are not if you plan to eat them.

Parsnip: A white root vegetable that resembles a carrot. Parsnips have a mild, sweet flavor and can be cooked like potatoes.

Rice Noodles: Thin noodles that are made from finely ground rice and water. When fried, they puff into light, crisp strands. They can also be soaked to use in stir fries, and soups.

Rice Vinegar: A mild flavored vinegar that is made from fermented rice. It is interchangeable with rice wine vinegar, which is made from fermented rice wine. Seasoned rice vinegar, with added sugar and salt, can be used in recipes calling for rice vinegar.

Rind: The skin or outer coating of some kinds of food. It is most commonly found on citrus fruits, but some meats, such as pork, have it as well as do some cheeses.

Sea Salt: This type of salt is created from the evaporation of sea water. Some cooks prefer it over table salt for its clean, salty flavor.

Vinegar: A sour liquid that is a byproduct of fermentation. Through fermentation, the alcohol from grapes, grains, apples, and other sources is changed to acetic acid to create vinegar.

Zest: The colored outer portion of citrus fruit peel. It is rich in fruit oils and often used as a seasoning. To remove the zest, scrape a grater across the peel. Avoid the white membrane beneath the peel because it is bitter.

When Lei'lira finished her chapter, she skimmed ahead to see if there was anything else useful to her. But most of it seemed to either be fancy stuff she would never use, or tips that were meant for a more skilled cook than she. It was getting late, so she gathered up her things, and returned the books she had borrowed. Then, after double checking to make sure she had everything, she and Lei'luna left.
word count: 2536
Locked Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Duchies”