[Hopetoun] The Scorpion's Smile

112th of Ashan 723

A small island with an active volcano, Faldrass is the home to Saoire's school and to the Faldrass Induk.

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Woe
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Éminence grise
Renown: 1480
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Wealth Tier: Tier 4

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

[Hopetoun] The Scorpion's Smile

People who made their living out at sea had a peculiar way of viewing the Immortals, the world, and life in general, Woe reflected. He continued jotting down the contents of his cargo manifest. Under the name of his ship, he wrote out the manifest. On the paper the name was The Scorpion's Smile, a reference to a fable about a scorpion that succumbed to its nature, to spite logic and reason. An unlucky tale, by all accounts, of a scorpion stinging it's turtle companion as it swims him across a pond. The reasoning he'd been given for the name, at the time that they'd christened the vessel in Rharne, was that Chrien would turn her eyes at such an unlucky name, figuring that it was destined for the bottom of the ocean anyway. It was the grandiose and pompous named ships that Chrien loved to harass. The lady of fortune enjoyed bringing the high down to low, and vice versa, so it was said by some of these mariners. Woe just presumed they were suffering from a light form of psychosis.

A bit of reverse psychology wasn't any likelier to turn Chrien's gaze. However, for all it mattered, he allowed them to name it thus. It pleased him to have it named after one of his domains, afterall.

It was early dawn when they arrived on the horizon over the Hollow Seas. Faldrass was visible for many fathoms out to sea, and then Hopetoun's cliffs and the lighthouse besides. An impressive sight it was, and one that Woe hadn't seen before. A large tree, by all appearances, with a grand light shining out to sea from a structure built within its branches. Woe had of course heard of the fixture, a small wonder of Scalvoris, and reportedly holy site of Xiur.

The light showed them the right way safely to the shore, and toward the docks that were well equipped enough to host the Galleon that Woe now rode in on. Woe looked out his window to the Lighthouse, as the men busied themselves about the business of running the ship. Crawford was essentially the commander of the ship, having the most knowledge of seafaring and navigation of them both. The ship belonged to Woe, however. It was a masterwork vessel, with a figurehead of a large scorpion carved out of the wood packed onto the fore of the ship. Copper plates lined the bottom of the vessel, keepiing barnacles from eating away at the hull.

It's sails were strong, and colored gray and white. Woe wasn't certain how many large ships Hopetoun hosted on a regular basis. By all accounts the town was growing into its own, becoming a proper village, a town even. Woe couldn't afford to sit on his hands with regards to the material wealth of Hopetoun. Interests would be convening on the island, trying to make deals and sort out trades and cooperation.

Woe had already assumed some trade negotiations and cooperation with Sweetsong in Sweetwine, southwest of Egilrun. He had designs on the rest of the island now. Starting with the smaller settlements and villages, and working his way up through other centers of population until he came against the big cities, isolating them when they realized that all of the villages had been brought into the fold of the Merchants Guild. Then they would have little choice but to allow his emerging commodities cooperative the leeway to operate with impunity.

Of course, competition between members of the cooperative were to be expected, even encouraged. Stagnation wasn't something Woe wanted to see, nor was monopoly.

The ship made berth in the harbor of Hopetoun, and once the gangplank was lowered, he set off the ship, hoping to find the leader of Hopetoun somewhere nearby. If necessary, he'd ask one of Hopetoun's guards to direct him to the proper place.

word count: 660
Image*Image*Image
Darius Baer Bottom
Wiki Worker
Wiki Worker
Race: Human
Profession: Woodworker / Sailor
Renown: 1110
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 9

Re: [Hopetoun] The Scorpion's Smile

Arc 723, 112th of Ashan
There was an inherent danger to a life on the sea. Every sailor knew it, and perhaps some of the crew of the Scorpion's Smile reflected on that as the galleon nudged aside some small pieces of flotsam on its way towards the dock. A ship had recently wrecked itself upon the harsh Faldrass coast, and each new storm brought up more remnants of the sunken vessel, and Woe and his crew arrived the morning after one such squall.

A group of Hopetounians were clearing the water as the galleon docked alongside the Libertalia which Woe would know - if he had heard the song - belonged to the settlement's leader, Darius Baer.

And it was he who Woe sought when he spoke to one of the guards watching the settlers pulling a tangle of wood and netting from the water. After asking who the visitor was, the guard sent a young boy to find Darius.

The youngster located the settlement leader atop the palisade. His news wasn't unknown to Darius - the bearded blond had watched the galleon coming towards Faldrass ever since it was first sighted on the horizon - but the identity of the person who had brought it to the island came as a surprise.

With his task completed, the young boy became one nel richer, and he rushed off as fast as his short legs could take him.

Darius, meanwhile, took a much more pedestrian pace when he left the settlement through the main gate and made his way towards the dock. Somewhere along that journey, he encountered Woe coming the other way.

He greeted the new arrival with a sincere smile and extended a hand in greeting.

"Welcome to Hopetoun, Councillor Morandi," he nodded, before indicating the settlement behind him and inviting Woe to walk with him. "What brings you to our humble settlement? Would you like a guided tour?"
Last edited by Darius Baer Bottom on Mon Aug 21, 2023 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total. word count: 320
Woe
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

The crew gave each other grim looks as bits of flotsam were heard and felt to drift across the hull of the Scorpion's Smile. But Woe kept course, decided to take lessons in how to steer the ship from the navigator he'd hired to man the helm. The younger man kept his hands firmly on the wheel, and directed Woe's attention to the way the ship moved in time with the wheel. To Woe, the navigational prowess of a ship all seemed to come to timing. A galleon such as they sailed on would turn better if it wasn't weighed down, as it was now. As it stood, the heavy cargo of Rharnean goods made her far less maneuverable, and slower on the water.

The navigator during the trip had assured him that it was faster than any cog would be when given such a burden, but to expect trouble on the high seas if they came upon faster ships. Pirates could be quite inventive when it came to battle with a larger ship, weighed down with treasure or goods.

Still, Woe hadn't met too many pirates on the way from Rharne. Of course there was an incident that he'd prefer to forget about for now. Darius might be able to persuade him to share it, however, depending on how his spirits improved upon arriving in Hopetoun.

Woe followed the directions to Darius himself, when he came ashore, along the boarding plank. They would see about what trade they could make in Hopetoun, as some of their supplies, edibles and such were running low. And they could part with some luxuries for the trade.

"It was on the way from Rharne, actually." Woe said to Darius, with a friendly nod of his head. "I just came from there, and bearing goods of all kinds. If your people have any need of Rharnean luxuries, I have them to trade for either rations or other essential supplies..."

This said, Darius offered him a guided tour, and Woe was loathe to turn it down, given it might soften the Baron further to negotiation.

"I'd like to get a look around. I don't think I've been to Hopetoun before." Woe pointed toward the center of town, as they fell in step with each other. "How goes the brewing business?" Woe asked him, making some small talk. "Baron's Brew, I'd like to try some again." Woe had to admit to some professional curiosity, being something of a brewer himself. Every brewing process had a little bit of arcana obscura about it, and Woe enjoyed the mystery of tasting the difference in every brew he sampled.

"Perhaps after the tour."

word count: 455
Image*Image*Image
Darius Baer Bottom
Wiki Worker
Wiki Worker
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Letters
Point Bank Thread

"Rharne!" Darius expressed surprise.

Perhaps that was simply because he had assumed a member of the Scalvoris Council to spend most of their time in Scalvoris, which he immediately recognised as an unfair assumption on his part.

"How is Rharne this time of arc? I've only been there once, and it was more for...business than for pleasure."

'Business' was an unusual way of saying 'helping the besieged at Storm's Edge', but he was worried that being so specific might sound like he was bragging, and that was not something he was interested in doing.

"Did you sail up north across the Hollow Sea?" he asked. "It gets cold up there, especially during Cylus, then Synnefa Bay freezes over."

Woe had mentioned supplies, and Darius wondered what essentials the man needed, but if he had learnt one thing about trading, it was that everything was negotiable.

"I'm sure we can offer some supplies to you," he nodded with a wry grin, "for the right price. Perhaps we can take a look at some of the luxuries you mention after the tour, while you're enjoying some Baron's Brew?"

Darius was always willing to consider anything that might make the settlers' lives easier or more comfortable, and he didn't mind giving up a few homegrown goods to make that happen.

"Speaking of Cylus," he continued as he began to lead Woe through the centre of the settlement, "as soon as that season arrived, all of Hopetoun got covered in snow. And I mean covered. We had to evacuate."

Darius pointed up at a mark on the inside of one of the palisade posts. There was a subtle colour change - the wood below the mark was a darker brown than the wood above.

"That's how high it got," he said, "and it left that stain. The community came together, as you might imagine, but we were fortunate to have Faith Augustin visiting us, and she was an immense help."

The bearded blond led the councillor through Hopetoun, stopping a couple of times to return greetings to settlers who sent one his way. Eventually, the pair left the settlement and climbed partway up one of the hills behind the hamlet. From there, they could see the kiln, some of the surrounding farmland, the Hollow Sea beyond, and, as Darius pointed out, the Scorpion's Smile.

"She's a fine looking ship," the settlement leader admitted. "We don't often see galleons at our doorstep."

Darius paused for a moment, then turned to Woe.

"You mentioned a need of supplies, Councillor Morandi," he said, as if his guest needed reminding. "How many people do you have on board, and what do they need?"
word count: 455
Woe
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

"Yes." Woe said flatly. "Rharne is... lively, but I hadn't occasion for anything in the way of distraction, as business dictates. I'm afraid I don't travel for many other reasons than just that, such are the needs of Egilrun."

Indeed, Woe had gathered a good amount of stock, in premium Rharnean grape seeds, and wheat that he planned to put to use in Egilrun's agricultural prospects, as well some small acquisitions for his own garden. That was half the point of arriving at Hopetoun now, as he understood the settlement had the most prosperous agricultural operation on the verdant soil of Faldrass. It may not have grown to its full potential yet, but that was half the point of cutting a deal now.

"Yes the Frozen Main is very treacherous this time of year even, but I have a capable navigator to guide us through those waters."

Crawford Shipley had of course overseen the purchase of the Galleon, ensuring that Woe understood what he was buying, as while the Mortalborn had experience at nautical travel, his knowledge of the vessels upon which he'd ridden was lacking.

The invitation to Baron's Brew was welcome. He quite liked the flavorful bite of the beverage that Baer had brought into the wider market. Around the same time he brought it up, Woe considered what Darius might think of an export opportunity, if he could produce a surplus of the brew. All of that could be handled later, however.

"I also had an experience of the Snowstorm in Egilrun. I only left for Rharne in mid-Ashan, you see." Woe had methods of travelling faster than the ordinary rover. Whether through the Eclipse portals, or on the back of his dragonling, which flew as fast at night as any peregrine falcon, with the endurance of an albatross. "It was a grave trial, but we managed to avoid undue losses. Still, we couldn't save everyone, Egilrun got absolutely buried. I had to huddle in my Onyx Hall with a large group of people who had no other shelter, and send out relief at routine intervals to do wellness checks as we cleared the worst hit areas."

"Had we a swift method of transporting to Slag's Deep, I might've considered sheltering there with our population, but the size of our town made that a more problematic prospect. So we made do with what we had."

In truth, Woe felt he received more accolades for his success in Egilrun than were deserved. Yet even he couldn't deny that it might've gone much worse without the forewarning he received from Lacrima.

Woe looked back at his Galleon as Darius complimented the Scorpion's Smile. "Yes, I had it commissioned from a Rharnean Shipyard. It's made for rough waters, and long voyages. I hope to set up an export prospect sometime soon, with designs to make this the flagship of that effort."

Of the people aboard, Woe nodded, "Fifty-Eight souls, give or take." He shrugged, "We didn't want to stop through Synnefa Bay, as it's more oft than not iced over this time of year, so we are much diminished. I think we can subsist on the least of your rations before we reach Egilrun. If you can spare that much in trade. We can offload some of the finest Zynyx pottery. Said to keep foodstuffs edible for arcs on end so long as their seals are not broken." Woe gave him a flat smile, "It's a win for both of us, I'd say."

"But did you mention some Baron's Brew? I have to admit I like talking about the brewing process. Did you know I'm a bit of an expert brewer myself? Mostly blended teas, although I've tried my hand at stronger drinks and the more arcane fermentation processes."
word count: 651
Image*Image*Image
Darius Baer Bottom
Wiki Worker
Wiki Worker
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Darius nodded as Woe spoke of his time in Rharne. It seemed neither man had experienced much leisure on the shores of Lake Lovalus. Perhaps, one cycle, that would change.

That being said, it felt good to talk with someone who understood a little of maritime travel. Beyond Astra and the sailors who crewed the Libertalia and the smaller ships around Hopetoun, the majority of the settlers were landlubbers. Simply being with someone who understood the dangers of the frozen seas to the north was a refreshing experience.

But that relaxed mood faded briefly, when Woe spoke of those in Egilrun who had not survived the snowfall.

"I'm sorry for those you lost," Darius offered sincerely. "We are not so far apart, our two homes. If you feel we can be of aid in a situation like that, please don't hesitate to seek it from us. If there is enough warning, we can shelter people in the Hopetoun Hole."

His offer felt empty, given it was only being made after Egilrun had suffered, but it was genuine all the same. And, Darius wagered, if he or the settlers could be of assistance in the future, then surely that had to be a good thing.

By the time they were climbing the hill, it seemed that the meeting was going well. Woe was a councillor, and as such deserved respect, but he wasn't shy in giving it, either. For all intents and purposes, the pale-skinned human was treating Darius as an equal trading partner, and the settlement leader was appreciative of that.

Sitting there, up on the hill and looking over some of their achievements - Hopetoun for Darius, and the Scorpion's Smile for Woe - afforded the two men an opportunity to reflect and discuss a trade. Sitting side by side, with the salty sea air rising up the slope and the warm soil beneath their feet, made for a much more relaxed environment than a dusty office with little to no natural light. Rather than adversaries sitting cross the table from one another, this felt - to Darius, at least - less like a fight, with each man clawing at the other man's interests while trying to hold onto their own, and more like they wanted the best for each other.

The sea breeze climbed the hill to meet them, long grass bending over as the wave of wind washed as Woe told him of how many people were with him. Fifty-eight was not a small number, but Hopetoun had decent food supplies, and Darius made that known.

The mention of Zynyx pottery came as a pleasant surprise. The Zynyx Market had a reputation for fine pottery, but it was his guest's suggestion that they allowed food to last longer that really appealed.

"They sound ideal for long sea voyages," he grinned. "I hope you keep enough to ensure your crew remain fed for as long as you sail."

The reminder of Baron's Brew only caused Darius' grin to grow further, and he stood.

"Where are my manners?" he chuckled, though the pair of them could not have realistically carried tankards up the hill and expected not to spill anything. "Let's go."

Descending the slope, Darius continued to engage in small talk, showing Woe points of interest or identifying Faldrass curiosities as they went. Soon, though, they were stepping inside the Hopeful Rest Inn. There, Serena, the barkeep, poured the pair some of the local brew.

"Is Kerik around?" Darius asked her. "There's someone here who might be interested in speaking with him."

It was a slight presumption on the settlement leader's part, but as Serena went to fetch the brewer, he led Woe through a door and to a small, secluded table. They were only in there for a handful of bits before there was a knock, and then a man with a stocky build and dark brown hair poked his head around the door.

"Councillor Morandi," Darius spoke from his seated position, raising his tankard in a casual salute, "this is Kerik Lai, the man behind Baron's Brew."
word count: 690
Woe
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Theme Music

“When our maritime issues improve, we should consider more regular trade with Hopetoun. Most people in Egilrun are very fond of beer and lager. I’m sure they’d quickly get a taste for Baron’s Brew.” Woe offered, as Darius led him off along the tour.

“Yes, the pottery is very good for long-term storage of food, drinks. I’ve heard tales of some Rharnean vintages that have lasted centuries in a Zynyx pot.” Woe smiled, although he wasn’t entirely sure that the claim was exaggerated, given how serious Rharneans took their alcoholic beverages. “Don’t worry about my people, though. I’m swiftly learning how to count enough rations a particular voyage will take.”

Woe was fairly well traveled, afterall, and much of that travel took place aboard ships. He hadn’t been idle while sailing either, but absorbed much of the information on logistics as he could manage, or however much he could before the quartermaster tired of his company.

Woe nodded to Darius as he offered to lead him onwards to the tour, toward the Hopeful Rest Inn.

Eventually, he was introduced to a man named Kerik. Woe nodded, and lifted his own tankard, that was on his table, to the brewmaster. “I enjoyed your brew, you know Darius introduced it to the Councilor of Foreign Affairs herself? Your vintage is quite well known by now, across the islands.”

Woe pulled out a small booklet, that he kept with notes on his own recipes that he’d been working on. “If you’re interested in a recipe exchange, or wanted to vary up your own menu, I have some ideas I jotted down during my trip to Rharne.” But then that was being too forward. Still the offer was there, if Kerik wanted to take it.

Supposing the Brewmaster joined them, Woe decided it’d be best to endear himself to the salty Baron of Hopetoun. “So, shall we swap harrowing stories about our adventures at sea? I have to admit I’ve been lucky… most of the time, except for a fateful voyage beyond the coasts of Garaia…”

So he told the story, and waited for the men’s reactions.

word count: 369
Image*Image*Image
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Faldrass Island”