Cat Calling

21st of Vhalar 723

Your thread has been reviewed and its rewards issued! See your request here. Manage your rewards here.

From Tried's Mouth to the mysterious Tower, the waters around Scalvoris and the island itself hold a vast array of secrets, just ripe for discovery. Here are landmarks, jungles, mountains, forests and islands of note.

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Balthazar Black
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Leader of The Black Cats
Renown: 1885
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 5

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Cat Calling

21 Vhalar 723
It was possible that Balthazar would never get used to the feeling of waves crashing against a ship. To him, it always seemed like water wanted to consume him and pull him into the dark depths so that he would never be seen again. He knew that wasn't the case because his spark allowed him a unique connection to the element but still- that connection seemed to imply water liked him the least of all four. Fire loved him. Wind loved him. Earth had made him what he was. Water though... water like to cuddle him very aggressively whenever he fell into it. Maybe the sea was just bad at showing affection. Balthazar found that oddly relatable.

It was the twenty first of Vhalar and despite the cold cycle, Balthazar found himself aboard a ship called The Dreadful Guppy. He was on the ship to protect them if any pirates felt bold. Normally he'd have assigned a few Black Cat's to the ship but The Dreadful Guppy was carrying a lot of expensive cargo from Port Diablo to Scalvoris Town which would be disseminated through a few dozen different shops. A group vote decided that it would be easier to put Balthazar on the ship than to try and have four of them protect against a crew of pirates given the value of the cargo on the ship. Balthazar didn't mind. He was working a job that would potentially allow him to let some of his frustration loose against pirates or raiders. Robin, Lyanna, and Croft were running the Black Cats in his absence but 'running' was a loose term.

While he was away they would take in contracts but make no official decisions until he could be reached. To his benefit, he had attuned to the Black Cat's headquarters so that he could project his senses to the entire building if he needed to transmit a message. It was easier than he thought it would be but that happened when you spent most of your time inside a building. He'd become familiar with the frequency of rooms slowly without really focusing on it so when he attempted to fully attune to the building, it was a simple task. Nothing compared to when he had attuned to the entirety of Scalvoris Town. None of that mattered in the moment but it was what made Balthazar feel comfortable enough to go out on the voyage to protect The Dreadful Guppy.

He had lost enough already. He would not allow himself to lose the friends who helped him through everything else. He was sitting in the cabin that he was sharing, his legs crossed and his hammock at his back. His body was on the ship but his mind and his senses were far, far away.Project - Projection is an expert level technique and only available with an active Frequency. While before, active Frequencies needed to be examined at the source, Project allows an Attuner to fall into a meditative trance and project their senses out to that active Frequency. Once connected, the Attuner can gain information about the object, place, or person they’ve Attuned to through their notes and gain an impression (as through Omnivision) about the area around what is Attuned to. Due to the limitation of consciousness, Projection targets start rather small (objects and people) and only grow to locations as an Attuner progresses in power. Many Attuners tend to use this ability to keep an eye on loved ones, places of importance, or even to spy. Sound, including voices, can be heard when the mage has Attuned. He could sense Robin and Lyanna standing oddly close to each other just inside one of the Black Cat offices. He heard Croft grumbling about reports with Miss Ironside at the entrance. She was politely listening while going over recruitment candidates. Someone opened the door to the cabin on the ship and Balthazar pulled all his senses back to where his body was sitting. His glowing blue eyes opened and a small shimmer spread down the etheric cracks like tears as the magic stopped.

It was just Mindy. He was certain her name wasn't actually Mindy but that was what everyone on the crew called her and she'd done him no wrong so he didn't spend his time trying to unravel the name. She wasn't the captain of the ship but she seemed to have a close relationship with her. Mindy was the first mate and she was sharing her cabin with Balthazar. Since she was responsible for tracking cargo and the crew, they had agreed it would be better to share a room. His memory and her organization made for an effective system of tracking everything they were moving for the various merchants.

"Has the sun set?" Balthazar asked, unaware of how long he'd been in his meditative trance watching over the Black Cats.

"Almost but, nah just yet. I came to change- Hector tripped and ruined this shirt." Mindy said with a gesture towards her clearly soaked, and probably stained, shirt. Balthazar would have assumed it from appearances but whenever he came out of the trance it took a trill or so for all his senses to settle around him again.

"I'll go check on things." Balthazar said as he quickly stood and moved towards the door.

Mindy didn't get in the way but she did mumble something that, to an extent bothered Balthazar. She'd said, "Who'd mind if you stayed?"

He was back on the deck in a matter of trills, unwilling to engage with such comments so blatantly directed his way. Ever since Elisabeth had disappeared that sort of thing had been happening more frequently than Balthazar liked. He didn't understand it. He didn't think of himself as appealing to most people- at least not in that way. Especially people outside of Yaralon. Yet a few of the letter's they'd received at the headquarters this season had been surprisingly flirtatious. Arcs ago he might have enjoyed the attention but now he almost despised it. It felt like Edasha herself was sending agents to torment and mock him. Love was wonderful but it hurt when it was lost. Sorrow. Vri really did have all his bases covered. Ignoring what Mindy thought she said without being heard, Balthazar moved across the deck to the port side of the ship and glanced out at the sea.

If he focused he could bridge the entire distance between Scalvoris Town and Almund. It would take time but none of the travel would have been needed. It would have been a safer way to move things. Nothing easier was ever truly better though. He'd need a stable spot to open both portals and while that was simple for moving a person, it was difficult for moving shipments. Maybe that was one of the things that caused him to avoid the industry. Maybe it was just too... plain for someone like him. A member of the crew, a younger man named Wen, leaned against the railing beside Balthazar. "Any pirates in the distance?" He asked, almost as if he was hoping for a fight.

"It isn't dark yet, you can see that there aren't." Balthazar pointed out without looking towards Wen. He kept his eyes on the horizon, only averting them towards the water when the sun came too close to his mutated view.

"Yeah but I heard you were special." The boy said, " 'heard you could see whole cities away?"

"It's not that simple and it wouldn't help with this." Balthazar said in a dry tone. Wen, seeming dissatisfied, pushed off of the railing and stared at Balthazar for a few trills before walking away. Balthazar took a deep breath and looked to the railing beside him where Fuego, his forged diri, sat.

I should have brought Robin. Balthazar thought to his diri.

You could make more friends. Fuego thought back.

This is work. I don't want to make friends with people who are paying me to be here.

Don't you pay Robin?

Robin came to me before we had the company. It's different.

I don't understand.

Understand what?

Nels. Why do they matter? Isn't it just metal?

Let's not get into this right now. Balthazar pushed off the railing and turned towards the ship itself. On the surface you'd have no idea that it was a trading vessel apart from the rather large hull where they were storing all their cargo. The crew cleaned and worked hard through the whole trial but only a few actually knew anything about what they were holding. Balthazar was, out of necessity, included in that small group. The rest of them were just sailors and for some reason, Balthazar had a sinking feeling that the people on the ship would become a bigger problem than anything external.

word count: 1506

Visible Mutations/ Marks

Mutations
Defiance: Skin always glows faintly and he is warm to the touch. His is also the center of a field of static electricity so people get shocked touching him on occasion.
Rupturing: Orange etheric cracks spider-web up his arms to his elbows. His eyes and the glowing cracks going down his cheeks glow dark blue.
Transmutation: He has a series of emerald, glowing cracks on his right pectoral.
Marks
Bellinos: His fingernails are always black. The color fades into his fingers.
Celarion: A dim glowing ring surrounds his left forearm.
Palenon: A silver lightning shaped mark about the size of a hand stretching up towards his torso.

Scars

• Oops, Oops, Ouch: Balthazar Black has twenty scars across his back from a lashing as well as scars on his hands and arms from jagged rocks on Faldrass. There are two scars on the sides of his abdomen from being stabbed and a slash across his back which blends in with the whip scars.
Balthazar Black
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Re: Cat Calling

22 Vhalar 723
It was the second trial of the journey and so far nothing eventful had happened. Balthazar accompanied Mindy in the morning when she took her inventory counts and he walked the length of the ship most of the trial focusing on the elements and frequencies around him. Uneventful sailing while he was working security allowed him plenty of time to think and practice his magic in small ways. He'd add a small breeze to the sails every once in a while- maybe a larger wave to push the ship along. It was peaceful and productive. He had come to know the frequency of each person aboard the ship but he didn't hold any of their frequencies actively. He reserved that for those who he knew he'd be around much longer.

After the morning inventory and a brief meal period, everyone went to work aboard the ship. Balthazar stayed on the deck for a long time before heading to his cabin for a small break. He projected his senses back to the headquarters but quickly discovered that things were progressing smoothly. In hindsight it might have been paranoia driving his watchfulness. He'd stopped watching Haven and now it was gone. Yet for as much as that might have stung, it was nothing compared to the void he felt without Elisabeth. He would have burned Haven to the ground himself if it meant they could be together again.

So, meditation didn't work out well that trial. It lead to dark thoughts and despite his practice with the art, Balthazar couldn't clear his mind. He'd have been disappointed in himself if he wasn't battling so many competing influences. He considered drinking on his break. He even felt like he could justify it as a religious tribute to Ilaren. He didn't though. He wasn't really on a break given that if anything happened at any point he would need to act. He decided that he would drink for Ilaren at the Glass Temple when they arrived and he had the time. He didn't know how to honor or pay tribute to Qylios despite bearing her mark. He'd have to work on that.

The only eventful part of the trial came late into the night. After a long trial of mediation and intermittent patrols, Balthazar found himself sitting on the railing of the quarterdeck and talking with the sailing master, Rafe, at the wheel. He hadn't really gone around around socializing but they all knew why he was on the ship and most appreciated him for it. A few gave him side-eye and whispered behind his back that he wasn't pulling his weight on the ship. In fairness, he wasn't doing much other than walking around and watching the water from their perspective. They couldn't understand exactly how his magic worked and that his abilities were fully engaged the entire time. They wouldn't care enough to think that hard while they scrubbed the ship and he didn't. The sailing master wasn't one of those members of the crew. He understood how little adjustments could mean the difference between landing in one city or another. It allowed for more pleasant conversation.

Granted by the time something interesting happened in the night, they were talking about Mindy and her aggressive flirting with a married man.

"I'm just warning' ya, if ya don't watch yerself she's gonna eat ya alive." The sailing master warned Balthazar as he slightly adjusted the wheel of the ship. Balthazar gave a small laugh from his chest and shook his head.

"I'm a light sleeper now. I'll keep her away." Balthazar said before old, investigative instincts kicked in, "I'll admit when I came aboard I thought she had a relationship with the captain."

"Relationship is a big word for what they have." Rafe replied in a cool tone, his eyes locked on the sea before them.

"Disappointing... but not surprising." Balthazar replied.

"Disappointing?" Rafe's gaze shifted towards the mage.

"Not like that. It's hard to explain." Balthazar said.

"We still have a long trip ahead of us. Try me."

"Alright. Well... I admire love. I thought I'd seen it between Mindy and the captain when I came aboard. It's disappointing to think it was less than that." He could have used the abilities Vri had blessed him with to find out the truth before but he didn't want to pry every time he thought about it.

"You're a romantic?" Rafe asked, his eyes back on the sea.

"I'm not but... we don't appreciate what we have until it's gone." Balthazar said quietly. He could see that Rafe knew what he was referring to. Who he was referring to. Apparently it hadn't taken any time at all for the world to learn about the void in his heart.

"No. No, we don't." Rafe decided that was the best thing to say.

"I'll leave you to watch the stars. I need to stay focused on the horizon." Balthazar said, assuming that was related to how Rafe was navigating the ship. He wasn't really sure at all how Rafe knew where they were going but he knew that the captain that they had in the company used the stars to guide him. How that worked was a mystery to Balthazar as well though. Balthazar excused himself and moved back to the deck of the ship.

His eyes looked out into the dark and saw it as clearly as the day but his mind was far from his body was yet again.
word count: 957

Visible Mutations/ Marks

Mutations
Defiance: Skin always glows faintly and he is warm to the touch. His is also the center of a field of static electricity so people get shocked touching him on occasion.
Rupturing: Orange etheric cracks spider-web up his arms to his elbows. His eyes and the glowing cracks going down his cheeks glow dark blue.
Transmutation: He has a series of emerald, glowing cracks on his right pectoral.
Marks
Palenon: A silver lightning shaped mark about the size of a hand stretching up towards his torso.

Scars

• Oops, Oops, Ouch: Balthazar Black has twenty scars across his back from a lashing as well as scars on his hands and arms from jagged rocks on Faldrass. There are two scars on the sides of his abdomen from being stabbed and a slash across his back which blends in with the whip scars.
Balthazar Black
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Rewards Requested

Notes/Warnings: None, just Balthazar at work. This thread is somewhat referencing the seasonal renown thing Balthazar has about people trying to see how available he is with Elisabeth missing.

Thread: Cat Calling
City/Area: Surrounding Waters & Landmarks

Renown: If applicable
Wealth Points: No? This may be submit later as the wealth thread
Collaboration: No
Local Language Thread? No
 ! Message from: Pig Boy
Done!
word count: 93

Visible Mutations/ Marks

Mutations
Marks

Scars

Pig Boy
City Moderator
City Moderator
Race: Prophet
Profession: Rharne City Moderator
Renown: 666
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Featured

Contribution

RP Medals

Staff

Events

Balthazar Black

Feedback

Ahhhh, Not a paragraph into Mindy's introduction to the story, and she's trying to toss her wet t-shirt at Balthazar. Poor balthy, getting harassed by these women up in here.

SMH

I found this story to be pretty brilliantly written, with good use of the npcs and good pacing throughout. The segue to the second part of the journey was well done, and didn't feel at all jarring as intermissions can tend to.

The conversation with Rafe was an eye--opener. I do wonder why Balthazar was really disappointed that Mindy diidn't have a thing for her captain? Or a relationship. Is it really because of his connection to Vri, that he's gotten to appreciate the concept of monogamous love? I just thought that was an interesting element to the story.

Good writing!

Rewards

• Renown: 5
  • XP: 10

Knowledges

• Attunement: The Frequency of The Black Cats' Headquarters
word count: 156

Your thread has been reviewed and its rewards issued! See your request here. Manage your rewards here.

Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Surrounding Waters & Landmarks”