[Haven] Haven Farm ~ Autumnal harvest cooking

103rd of Vhalar 722

Your thread has been reviewed and its rewards issued! See your request here. Manage your rewards here.

A small island with an active volcano, Faldrass is the home to Saoire's school and to the Faldrass Induk.

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Winston
Peer Reviewer
Peer Reviewer
Race: Cadouri
Profession: Groundskeeper
Renown: 841
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Wealth Tier: Tier 7

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

[Haven] Haven Farm ~ Autumnal harvest cooking

103rd of Vhalar, 722
Ferriting in the fields

Winston could not miss the opportunity to drop in and visit the Black family while he was in Faldrass. They had already crossed paths since the Wedding, but really, since then, he'd not taken the chance to just say hello, which was a crying sham. He was here today to remedy that situation and offer a gift in the form of his usual offering ... baked goods!

He had heard talk that Elisabeth was at the farm and so he set out to see if there was anything he could do to help. The crops more than obscured the little ferret as he approached, so he attempted to stick to the path and lower-lying grassy areas in an attempt not to get lost. Chest was following along behind him, as usual, and so he hopped up onto its lid as they both made their way towards the farm.

He was wearing his tool belt, a little practical jacket and his neckless.

He could see people working the fields as he approached. He was very careful not to allow Chest to trample any of the crops as they approached.

As he reached an appropriate distance to do so, he gave a wave and a shout. "'ello dere, Elisabeth!" He was now standing on top of Chest and furiously pumping his hand from side to side in the air when he suddenly disappeared into the grass, tumbling to one side as Chest stepped into a divot.

It was the briefest of moments later as his head bobbed back up again above the grass line with a cheerful grin. "I'm-OK!"

Assuming Elisabeth gave no indication that he should not, he made his way over to her to make a proper welcome. ""ow are yuh? Me 'ope et's OK, but me was in de area an' me wanted to pop by to say 'ello ... 'ello." He repeated with a cheeky little grin.

"Is dere somting me cun do tuh 'elp?"
word count: 338

Appearance

When standing at his full height, Winston towers a full 1 foot and one blueberry tall. A fact he will happily demonstrate before flicking said blue orb into the air with his nose and then eating it with a snappy grin.

His eyes are dark and sharp, ringed by dark brown fur upon the bright white fur that sets off across the rest of his face.

Equipement

Winston usually carries the following on his person:
  • Cassion's Locket hangs snugly around his neck.
  • Winston's Fairy Bell hangs from his tool-belt attached to his hip. It's 'ringer' is often bound by a small piece of cloth to prevent it giving away his position while in the wilderness.
Elisabeth Black
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Little Wonder-Bunny of Anger
Renown: 1035
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Storybook
Wealth Tier: Tier 8

Re: [Haven] Haven Farm ~ Autumnal harvest cooking

103rd of Vhalar, 722

Faldrass was blessed with something of a longer growing season than most other places. Regardless, Haven took advantage of every moment, harvesting crops and replanting until the weather finally turned. Using the warm orange sand prevalent on the small volcanic island as a vital component in farming was also unique to Haven, providing a cozy planting medium for crops that thrived with warm roots. It took extra time to make sure everything was just so, but Haven had benefited from their experiments and attention to detail.

While most credited Elisabeth’s academic background for the settlement’s particular approach to farming, it was a collaborative effort. The settlers brought a wide range of experience into the mix, and the researchers stationed at Haven’s university outpost too. The young woman’s contribution usually consisted of getting all the information together, analyzing it with the help of those that knew a bit better than she did, and formulating plans. Well, that and manual labor.

It was the latter that brought her to the fields that day. The rubrum berry plants were full of fruit, and while most of the other workers focused on harvesting the other crops, Elisabeth enjoyed spending time with the bright red berries. The reason was simple – she had played a hand in bringing them to Haven. Someone else had spotted a small grove of them on the beach near the spot where Haven used to reside, but it had been her that decided to seize the opportunity and see if they could incorporate the bushes into Haven’s crop rotation. The gamble and work had paid off, and now the settlement boasted a healthy, semi-mature stock of plants.

What Elisabeth hadn’t expected that trial was a visitor, but that was of little concern. People were always welcome in Haven, so as Winston and his companion chest made their way through the fields, smiles greeted them. Cadouri, Saoire’s children, were special to Elisabeth, and that fondness had spread through the entire settlement over time.

The young woman heard a voice calling her name. About the time she spotted Winston, he tumbled out of sight. Arching her eyebrow gently, he popped back up again before she had time to move to see what had happened, proclaiming that he was alright.

Chuckling softly, Elisabeth began moving in his direction, a bright smile on her face. “Winston! Welcome to Haven! It’s a delight to see you again, my friend.” Once she reached him, she knelt gracefully, lowering herself down so they could converse more comfortably. “We are well – thank you for asking. You?”

Eyeing the cadouri’s chest curiously, she opted to wait on the questions, amusing herself with the thought that Balthazar would probably be fascinated with it.

“Help? You are our guest,” she said, smiling softly. “I’d love to show you around Haven, though. I’m not sure you got the full tour the last time. Then, perhaps to Haven House for some food and drink?”

Waving the small basket of rubrum berries teasingly at him, she explained. “I have rubrum berries that are just begging to be used for something, and I never pass up the opportunity to cook for someone else.”

word count: 543
Winston
Peer Reviewer
Peer Reviewer
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

103rd of Vhalar, 722
Ferriting in the fields

Winson hopped up onto Chest again, to bring them (between her crouching and his elevation) to an even eye level. As Elisabeth referred to them as friends, he beamed again. "Oh! Me es gud tanks." He began, pulling a clover from his fur atop his head and giving himself a quick pat down. "Me un Chest ..." He patted Chest affectionately, who raised one of its many legs to scratch the behind of another, casing Winston to shake from side to side. "... 'ave settled down en Sweesang now. Me still trying tuh work out 'ow tuh grow dem Fairy seeds intuh Fairy bushes dat Cage gave meh from the 'Picking'. Me nat very gud at growing tings dough. Nat like yous." He gestured to the vast field of crops, clearly impressed at their collective efforts here.

He suddenly seemed to remember something. "Oh! Yuh 'ave nat met Chest befar! Where are me mannas?" He hopped back down off Chest to give them a little space and presented it (half lost in the egress as he might be) to Elizabeth with one arm. "Elizabeth. Dis es me companion, Chest ... an' Chest, dis es my gud friend Elizabeth." Whether the Chest was sentient or just very cleverly made, Winston made not indication that he did not believe Chest was an individual in its own right as he made the introduction.

Chest dropped its back-end and raised the end closes to her. Its lid opened ever so slightly to reviel the mouth within. Winston leaned in slightly towards her. "Dey likes a scratch an tap. Dem es very friendly."

He chuckled as she clarified his status of 'guest'. "Me know, but everyone es so friendly everywhere me go. Me feel bad to continue to take advantage of such excellent hospitality widdout giving somet'ing en return." He whispered as if imparting a secret. "Et es radda nice dough, to be so welcomed."

The tiny ferret's perma-smile continued on as the offer of a tour was issued. "Oh! Dat wud be lovely. Me love to eat.." He blerted out, in a rather unfiltered fashion. "Uh... and a tour would be very nice to." He added as a genuine, though clearly secondary, follow-up point.

He gave a little gasp of appreciation as the berries rocked back and forth before him. "OOOoooo. Me love a gud Rubrun Berry recipe. Me wud be delighted to learn yours. Ef et's nat a secret, afcars. Cookin' an eatin' are two af me favourite tings." He said with a wink.

As Elizabeth lead him around on the tour, he rode alongside her upon Chest until the grass was such that he could walk on foot without getting lost in it. There was nothing she showed him that did not strike his interest as they went and he would give off sounds of interest as she progressed.
word count: 488

Appearance

When standing at his full height, Winston towers a full 1 foot and one blueberry tall. A fact he will happily demonstrate before flicking said blue orb into the air with his nose and then eating it with a snappy grin.

His eyes are dark and sharp, ringed by dark brown fur upon the bright white fur that sets off across the rest of his face.

Equipement

• Winston's Fairy Bell hangs from his tool-belt attached to his hip. It's 'ringer' is often bound by a small piece of cloth to prevent it giving away his position while in the wilderness.
Elisabeth Black
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Storybook

103rd of Vhalar, 722

Chuckling gently, Elisabeth reached out her hand to the cadouri’s shoulder, plucking another stray clover from his fur. “Ahhhh – Vega’s settlement. Well, it took me a lot of time to learn how to grow things. The people of Haven helped me a lot – still do. I could help you with the fairy seeds if you’d like? I’ve been meaning to visit Vega and the children.” Her offer was genuine, borne of the idea that the world was better when people helped others.

The introduction to Chest was entertaining, prompting a big smile from the young woman. While she didn’t quite know what to make of it, the very presence of Chest was fascinating, making her wish Balthazar was there to see. Her husband’s curiosity rivaled her own, especially in the arena of all things magical or enchanted. “Chest, it’s a pleasure. Welcome to Haven,” she said. She wasn't sure exactly what Chest was, it seemed right to follow the cadouri's lead and treat Chest as he did.

As Winston told her about Chest’s fondness of scratches, a smile formed as Elisabeth scratched the top of the lid, hoping she was hitting the right spot, not realizing that she would have her own introduction to make shortly.

What the trio didn’t realize was that they had a stalker. Their watcher, adorable in his own fluffy way, had a keen eye on who his mistress gave attention to and why it wasn’t being bestowed on him. Offense was taken, but that would have to wait because the visitors had captured his divine attention.

The fuzzy one was nothing new. Ones like him had visited Haven before, building things usually. His farmhouse, his barn, the place that was a new place – his new napping place - all had brought fuzzy ones to the settlement. No, it wasn’t that one that drew his attention.

The other one, however, did.

Deciding it was time to voice his displeasure, Storm let out a loud ‘meow,’ revealing himself to the small group, allowing his mistress the appropriate time to process the shame she must feel in lavishing attention upon another. He really did love her, but the young woman could be challenging to train appropriately.

Unaware of Storm’s irritation, Elisabeth smiled, holding her hand to him. “Ah! Come here and meet our friends, Storm.” Taking his time, the feline waited for a beat – purely because he could – and then began to approach slowly, keeping his eyes firmly on the unknown element – Chest. Reaching her hand, the cat nuzzled his head against her outstretched fingers, blinking as he appraised his competition.

“Winston, Chest – this is Storm. Storm, actually, has a very special connection to Saoire. I was gifted him during an event hosted by her by a girl from Rharne. He was born in the Stormlands there and such…Storm. He’s been the most faithful and loyal companion, and I’m pretty sure he thinks he rules Haven with his fuzzy paw.”

Leaning towards them both, she lowered her voice theatrically, whispering almost. “And I’m not entirely sure he’s wrong, truth be told.” Grinning, she gave both Chest and Storm additional scratches and slowly stood.

Their conversation moved to a tour and some impromptu baking and eating. Gesturing for Winston and Chest to follow her, she began to lead the group back towards Haven proper, pointing out places of interest along the way. “This is Munny Farm here. All our growing and experimenting with agriculture happens somewhere on this property.”

Pointing to the south, Winston would recognize the familiar sight of Immortal’s Embrace – the site of Elisabeth and Balthazar’s wedding. “And, of course, you remember that place. We’ve named it ‘Immortal’s Embrace.’"

As the group passed through Haven, settlers stopped and warmly greeted Winston. While they might have thought his companion, Chest, was odd, long left behind were the trials that they thought much of such things. The world was a strange place and Elisabeth and Balthazar tended to attract a fair amount of the 'weird'.

Storm, for his part, strolled along with the group, keeping his impassive golden eyes on Chest. If someone showed interest in either Winston or Chest, the dramatic feline made sure to meow and get attention back on him, where it naturally belonged, thank you very much.

“Over there, you see that building near the beach,” Elisabeth remarked, drawing her attention toward the water. “That the clam farm. Not long after arriving on Faldrass, we found a specific type of clam that seems to be significant to places like this. It’s called the Ignis Clam. The meat is quite tasty, but, as well, the shells are rather useful for a variety of things.”

A few trills later, they passed by a structure that was slightly different from the others, more utilitarian in looks. “This is the research station. The University uses it to study unique flora and fauna found on Faldrass.”

It was evident, walking through Haven, that the people were busy but happy. Being there, Winston would feel a difference, although there were many things he could attribute that to - the friendliness of the people or the soothing sounds of the water crashing against the shore being only two of them – there was something very unique about Haven and it's people.

Soon enough, they came across a larger structure. From behind it, Winston would see the telltale signs of a small garden and garden beds. As they approached, Elisabeth spoke. “And this is Haven House. Balthazar had It built as a surprise for me – our first home.”

Opening the door for Winston, Chest, and Storm, she smiled. “It’s too large for just us, so we decided to let it be a community place. Balthazar and I live here, but most of the space is devoted to resources for the settlement to use.”

The space they walked into featured a large table – room for at least ten people to sit. To the side, a sitting area with large bookshelves filled with books of various colors and sizes.

She continued to move through the room, allowing Winston time to look around. “The bookshelves are the beginning of what I hope will eventually be the settlement library. Whenever I go someplace, even just to Scalvoris Town, I pick up a few volumes to bring back. Anyone can borrow a book from the library. The meeting space is where we conduct settlement business and for anyone to use that needs a bit of space to spread out.”

Elisabeth walked through a large doorway and brought the group into the spacious kitchen. “And here, obviously, is the kitchen. We do community meals here, so a lot of the time, settlers use this space to get things ready for that. It looks like we are between those – a good thing for us.”

Setting down the basket of berries, she turned to regard the cadouri. “So, what should we make with the rubrum berries? I was thinking perhaps tea cakes or cookies of some sort. The beauty of these berries is that they are as versatile as they are. Oh! What about making a jam from them for scones?”

It was apparent that Elisabeth didn’t much care what they did with them, spouting off idea after idea. The draw for her was in spending time with her new friend.

Storm, not to be forgotten, made his presence known by offering up another ‘meow’ and curling up on a thick blanket nearby, making sure to keep an eye on things but admitting that doing such was incredibly draining. Yes, rest and surveilling at the same time was the clever play, and he was all sorts of clever.

The young mage quickly put together a small tray of bites to share - meats, cheeses and fruits - before inquiring as to what she could offer her guest to drink.
word count: 1334
Winston
Peer Reviewer
Peer Reviewer
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

A jamming session with friends

He nodded at the mention of Vega's name. "She menshanned dat yuh were friends." He replied conversationally, with no suggestion it was anything but a good thing.

When she offered to help with his seeds, he looked like he might burst. "Ooooooh-oh-oh! Wud yuh really? Oh dat wud be da best, so et wud. Me want tuh make fud wid de fairy fuds so much. Me wud be glad tuh make some for yuh en return, ef dem grow." He gasped, shocked at his own accidental implication. "OH! But af cars dem wud, wid yuh 'elp, 'ow cud dem fail?"
Chest
leaned to one side in an attempt to expose an appropriate spot. It might not be accurate to say that it could feel it physically, but the attention it craved emotionally greatly appreciated the effort and Winston loved to see
Chest
making friends.

Winston's head spun as the sound of a cat rang out. If Elizabeth was the kind of person to notice such things, there would be an edge of caution to the Cadouri's demeanour, he was just the slightest bit jumpy. He did relax again as it became clear it was friend and not foe, but his eyes read caution with no hostility. Winston waved at Storm and if Chest noticed Storm's discontent, or in fact its approach at all, it did not show it, as long as the attention continued to be shared. "'ello Starm. Et es very gud tuh meet yuh. Me wud be eternally grateful ef yuh would please nat hunt me." He requested with a genuine hint of respect. "Yuh an Chest bot been gifted by Saiore? Me tink, dat et is not passible tuh 'give' a persan to anodda person. In such exchanges, de gift being given is de introduction. Den ef yuh stick around, yuh must like et dere." He offered with a smile.

As Elizabeth leaned in, he replied with a conspiratorial nod. "Me bet. Me 'ave a challenging relashanshep wid most carnivorous animals larger den meself." He said with an apologetic smile and a chuckle.

As the tour began, he looked over the crops at what was being described. "Munny Farm? Why 'Munny'?" He asked with casual, but genuine curiosity. Whether she had a story to tell or not, he would share. "Me like staries an' places almost always have staries hidden behind deir names." Sure enough, then next place was 'Immortal’s Embrace' and he nodded knowingly at its well chosen name. "A name befitting entirely af ets story." He replied in compliment of the choice.

Winston revelled in the delight of the waves and welcomes. Replying in kind.

As she described the clams, Winston's ears literally pricked up.

The Devil on My Shoulder
Curiosity: MMMmmmmm... Clam of unique flavourness.
Winston: MMMMmmmmm.... Me do like clams.
Curiosity: Oh I wonder what they taste like?
Winston: Per'aps dem wud go well wid a nice white wine?
Curiosity: Ask her for some!
Winston: Yuh cannat JUST ask people far ting mid sentence.
Curiosity: Oh My Immortals! It's not like I'm asking for a Dragon.
Winston: OK, me will ask about de clams OK.
Curiosity: Oh, ask what their shells do? I wonder if they could be used in alchemy?
Winston: Me will just ask far some and den we cun find out.
Curiosity: OK... Ask her if she has a dragon also.
Winston: No.
Curiosity: I'll best you a week's silence she DOES.
Winston: An' wat do yuh want ef yuh are right?
Curiosity: I'll take you promising to ask for a ride on it. She'll definitely say yes.
Winston: Me will see...

"Oooohhhh. Me will 'ave tuh get some af dem befar meh go 'ome. Me like new fuds and ting's wid 'special praparties'." He said with a grin.

As she introduced each and every thing, he would seem and in fact BE interested in every detail. He made a mental note to visit the research centre. His curiosity almost certainly would not allow him to leave without doing so.

Chest trotted along beside her, with Winston atop.

As she introduced her home, he let out a sound of affection. "Awwwwww, 'im gived yuh an 'ome. Wat a GOOD gift. 'im es vary tartful." He said with a fair amount of approval and admiration at the choice Balthazar had made.

As she described that the place was too big, he nodded, sharing in her assessment. "Oh yus. An empty 'ome es no 'ome at all." He agreed with a grin and as they entered, he went about making sure that Chest was not traipsing half the countryside into the building on its feet and then followed her amiably now on foot himself.

As he was made to feel as though doing so was OK, he took the time to try and read the spines of a couple of the books as they passed, wondering if they were old, new, fantasy or fiction. He admired their budding library with interest. "Oh, me 'ave a very modest collecshan af books. Almost entirely Recipe books." He shared with a grin, as if this was no bad thing. "De fairy-fud one's are a lat af fun tuh read." He chuckled. "Nat so easy tuh fallow." He said, still chuckling to himself as he turned back to the shelf beside him.

The Devil on My Shoulder
Curiosity: Why does Saiore only teleport people to the school?
Winston: Wat now?
Curiosity: Well one school can only hold so much knowledge and learning. She should be sending people OUT to find and learn things.
Winston: Hush yuh mouth wid soch foolishness! Saiore expects people tuh put de effort en tuh find tings out demselves. De school gets em ready far de lernin. Den, yuh gats tuh go DO de lernin'.
Curiosity: Sheesh. Just sayin'. I mean, imagine what people could learn if they only had access?
Winston: ...

Winston's next words came out in the hushed tone of wonder as his hand passed over the spines of the books and he looked along one of the shelves, off into a distant point far beyond the confines of the room. "Cun yuh jost imagine da tings we cud learn ef all de books, fram all de libraries from all af Idalso were connected? Ef a persan cud enter a library and travel to any af de libraries in de world in search af knowledge? Da things we cud share..." He blinked suddenly, realising that he was being rude, lost in thought and smiled, shaking his head in disbelief. "Naw DAT wud be a gift far Saiore dat she wud LOVE. Me shar af dat."

As she turned to him in the kitchen, his anticipation was written all over his body. "OH!-OH! Yes! Jam. Let's make Jam, et's so useful and yuh cun share et wid peepal. I LOVE jams. Always keep a well stocked larder of jams for pies, cakes, biscuits and... Oh yes, scones. With cream... MMMMMmmmmmm..... Yuh gat some cream?" He was well-up for some baking. "Yes, fuel first. Ummm... Some wata, are ef yu 'ave any juice, dat wud be grand."

He was ready to go, eager to start at it and unless she objected, this is exactly what he did. He found a stool, chair or anything he could use to clamber up onto the counter, where he sat, with his legs dangling off the edge. He would take a small bight of something yummy before calling to Chest. "Chest mun, me booties, an apron, please!" At this, Chest opened its lid and flung out a set of clothing, including an apron, some white gloves, a hat and some little, perfectly clean booties. He put all of these things on and then stood on the counter, hands on hips and proclaimed. "Let's JAM!"

By now, Winston had done quite well in the local Scalvaris Cooking competition being held out of Sclavaris Town, which had received quite a bit of publicity should this be something Elizabeth was likely to keep abreast of.

"Dis es a very fine kitchen yuh 'ave 'ere! We cun do wonderouse tings in dis 'ere place!" He proclaimed gleefully.

Winston might look out of place in a kitchen this size, but nothing about how he presented himself would suggest he felt it and without further ado, he set about helping to prepare things. If there was something he needed that simply had to be him-sized, he asked Chest for it (a spoon, a stool, a stepladder) and they didn't seem to mind. Winston was always polite regardless and Chest just sat somewhere beside a table and provided things to its companion.

It would be abundantly obvious that he loved to cook, but was in no rush to steamroll over Elizabeth's plans. Aside from which, he had no leadership quality beyond being persuasively cute. As such, he'd fall into the role of commis chef in this kitchen, unless she requested otherwise. "'ave yuh made Jam beffa?" He asked genuinely. He would gladly lead the process or simply pitch in as they talked, grabbing pans, carry the fruit, stirring and generally speaking thoroughly enjoy getting stuck in.

As they baked, he probed politely, with genuine care, about her and Balthazar, asking things like how long they had known each-other and how they met. "Me 'ave nat met de right persan yet, but et does sound appealin' tuh always 'ave someone tuh give gifts tuh."

His little gloves and booties kept his fur out of the mixtures and the surfaces free of his footprints. "Deh secret tuh a lang lived jam..." He said at one point, while picking some jars to store the produce in. "...es gud, clean jars!" He started boiling the jars to ensure they were completely clean and sterile, ready for pouring later. If Elizabeth was expecting to make a little jam just for tasting, apparently the Cadouri had larger aspirations. If it was not big enough to give as a gift, just in case, it was not worth doing.
word count: 1702

Appearance

Equipement

Elisabeth Black
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Storybook

103rd of Vhalar, 722

Elisabeth was all about helping people, so her offer to Winston wasn't given a second thought. She enjoyed gardening – a small respite from an increasingly insistent call from the universe. "I would be honored. It seems only right since gardening has given me so much. An added benefit to helping a friend, of course. It sounds like a fun little project for us."

Smiling at Chest's antics, Elisabeth mused again that she wished Balthazar could see it. Lowering to a kneel briefly, she hoped to take a closer look and make a friend at the same time. "You are quite the fascinating one, Chest. I know someone who would love to meet you someday."

Attention diverted by Storm's antics, she watched as the feline became acquainted with Winston and Chest. After rubbing gently against Chest, the cat moved on to Winston, lowering his head and bumping the cadouri with it, purring loudly. Elisabeth secretly thought that, perhaps, with Winston's love of cooking, Storm smelled some delicious scent lingering on his clothing, but one never quite knew the feline's motives. Food, while certainly one, wasn't the only thing he focused on, but then again, perhaps it was the fact that Winston was a cadouri – one of Saoire's children. Did Storm sense that? Storm loved Saoire, so maybe he, somehow, felt a link.

One could only guess.

Winston was a curious one, that was for sure. His enthusiasm for knowledge was refreshing, she thought. So many people didn't bother to ask even simple questions.

As they walked past the farm, the cadouri asked about the name. "The Munnys are the family that lives in the farmhouse and oversee the farm. I've worked closely with them, developing the specific type of farming we have here. They've taught me much about Scalvorian agriculture, and my research helped enhance it." It wasn't the best or most fascinating story, but not all stories had to turn heads.

The clams seemed particularly interesting to him, so the young mage made a mental note. "I'm sure sending you with some can be arranged. I remember the day I found them. Haven was…well, someplace else."

Confident he would pick up on that anomaly, Elisabeth stopped to tell the tale. "When Haven was first founded, it was located on the other side of Faldrass. But the location turned out to be not conducive to a thriving settlement. Saoire generously offered to move us, so we picked a spot, woke up the next morning, and were here." That had been shortly after Elisabeth had been chosen to lead the settlement. While the decision helped propel the settlement forward, it hadn't been an entirely positive period. While she appreciated the difficult choice Kura made, Haven's leader often wondered if the Albarech realized the position she had put her into, stripping Balthazar of the job and handing it to her.

But, honestly, she and the mage had risen to the moment, becoming stronger through the following experiences, letting the challenges bring them closer together.

Her smile brightened as Winston seemed to approve of Balthazar's gift to her. "It's a part of us, this place. I'm not sure either of us has ever had a home that was so much a part of who we are. The gift came at a time when I was questioning who I was. I had just returned from what I would remember later to be the Forging, memory missing, and feeling very un-moored. Balthazar building this house for us meant more than I can ever convey to him. I saw it, and still see it as him seeing our future." There was more, of course, but Elisabeth could be relatively verbose regarding her husband. Not everyone wanted to hear about how much she adored him.

As Winston perused Haven's collection of books, he would notice a set of volumes titled "Smooglenuff's Guide to Faldrass." In fact, he would see two sets! Walking over to him, Elisabeth gestured toward the books. "Balthazar and I received sets of them when we attended Cylus Dusk a few arcs ago. He had just brought me to Scalvoris for a visit…well, that had been the idea at the time. As it turned out, we never left."

Laughing softly, she continued. "That was also the night I met Saoire for the first time. She was exceedingly kind to me. I learned the story of Baron Smooglenuff, and these books have been invaluable in teaching me about him and Faldrass."

The cadouri presented his idea about connected libraries. He, of course, didn't know about her background or how excited Elisabeth might get about said idea. The latter became evident in short fashion. "That is such an inspired idea! I grew up in a library – almost literally. I was raised in Viden, and the people who raised me were Academy professors. They live in Rharne now, but still, I spent a large part of my childhood reading and learning there. It's an amazing concept, giving people access to not only one library but all of them."

There were, however, logistical challenges. Experience in life gave Elisabeth insight and the ability to foresee issues with plans. Gateways were wonderful, but careful thought about access to such a powerful thing had to be given. Certainly, such a marvel would need some regulation, but there was a better time and place to discuss such.

Elisabeth knew people, but even she could not predict the extreme excitement that spewed forth from the cadouri when she mentioned jam – he really liked jam. In her eyes, the excitement was not from what was produced but from the collaboration of skills. She had once been told that her life was defined by the relationships contained within, and while the mage would dispute the broad strokes of that assertion, there was truth there for the connections between people were an essential part of her world.

Turning, she quickly got Winston a small mug of water. Luckily, Haven was well-suited to its cadouri friends, and such things as mugs, plates, and other appropriately sized items were kept on hand.

Handing it to him, smiling, her tone conveyed a sense of curiosity. "I confess, jam means something a bit different to me. It was one of the first things I learned while embarking on my own culinary journey - a simple technique that can utilize a multitude of ingredients. It opened the door to me learning how to preserve food through canning." With Elisabeth, there was always a story behind everything.

She watched with amusement as he prepared for their jam session, swiftly moving about the kitchen, gathering things they would need and, in turn, pointing out to him where items were located, just in case he required something.

The compliment on the kitchen was received with a smile. "I enjoy it here. During the summer, we move many things outside to be more comfortable, but no one is ever alone – the part I like most about it. Learning to work together is important, and often in Haven, one thing serves many purposes."

As they began working, Winston asked about the jam and if she had made it before. "This one? Yes. I've found that it's incredibly versatile. I've made it with various accompaniments, like oranges or apples." She loved experimenting with different things, and while the farm wasn't home to many fruits yet, such things were planned for the future.

Humming softly as the fruit was washed and introduced, the cadouri asked her about her favorite subject – Balthazar. "I met him in Rharne. He was fighting in a tournament of sorts that I stumbled across. He was different from everyone else – still is, in fact. I knew the moment I met him that, somehow, life would never be dull with him around. That has proven to be very true."

His comment about not having met the right one was met with a soft laugh. "I wasn't looking for Balthazar when I found him. I was probably the farthest from 'looking' one could get, but he arrived nonetheless, and I wouldn't change anything about it."

"I love giving gifts to him," she said, replying to his comment. "I suppose I love giving gifts, period. It's always good to show people how much you appreciate them with a meaningful gift. I try to put thought into such things."

She, in turn, asked about his life. Beyond his attendance at her wedding, the mage didn't know much about the cadouri. That wouldn't do. Friendly, gentle inquiries were made, making it clear that he only needed to share what he was comfortable with.

Elisabeth wasn't used to making jam in small batches, so she eagerly followed Winston's plan, helping him dig out the jars once they were done sanitizing in the boiling water. "So, how did your love of cooking develop?"
word count: 1511
Winston
Peer Reviewer
Peer Reviewer
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Too good to sell

As she spoke to Chest, they seemed to 'preen' with the remarks, lifting one end slightly higher on its dumpy little legs.

Winston seemed very satisfied with the story of the Monnys and as she concluded, he nodded, content to know the foundation of the place.

As Elizabeth dropped the irresistible hint at Haven's origin story, he was delighted to find that the woman already seemed to know him well enough to know he had not survived sleeping lions by letting them lie... He let out a little 'yay' when she offered to arrange for him to have some clams and then listened with great interest as she told the story.

He laughed, with a heavy chuckle. It seemed to him that no matter where he want, Saiore was doing miraculous things for the people of Idalos.
"Oh, dat Saiore, she es always doin' dees tings, no?"
He said with a little cheek and a lot of pride.

He beamed brightly as she spoke of what this place meant to her and what it had done for her. He hope that the place was not such that loosing it would destroy her once more, but said only...
"Et es gud tuh get wat we need in times soch as dees, but most impartant to 'ave peepal dat know what es needed in all times surroundin' dem."
He decided that Balthazar was clearly very good for her, not that he considered his opinion of any import. He was simply happy for his newly forming friend.

He chuckled when she spoke of not leaving Scalvaris.
"Me know dat feelin'."
He tried to quickly skip to the preface of the Books on Smooglenuff, in the hope to get a glimpse at who this mysterious individual might be. He was already interested before Saiore's name was mentioned.
"Oh! Me es glad tuh 'ere dat yhu grew up to love et. Bein' growin' up in such ways cun bread as much distaste as et cun bring love far a ting."
He said with lighthearted honestly.

As it became apparent that there were things closer to his size available around the place, the novelty clearly tickled him. He was perfectly at home with utensils much larger than himself, from a mater of experience, but the smaller cups and tools put another broad smile on his face.

Winston LOVED stories and so the constant provision of them was far from a problem for him.

The ferret gave a soft squeak at the story of how she met Balthazar.
"Awwwww. Love staries are among de most powerful af dem all."
He observed.

He chuckled.
"Hehe... Indeed. Me 'ave been told dat yuh cun find anytin' ef yuh look far et, but de more rarest tings always get found wen yuh are nat even lookin'."

That Elizabeth liked giving gifts was no surprise. After all, Saiore did not show an interest in people for no reason.

As she asked about him, with what seemed to be genuine interest, she might find the flood gates that opened to be without reservation. As they cooked, he told her of his time in Dream, of flying world turtles in the sky and of adventures through portals that might seem to be described as a common daily occurrence. He spoke of his parents, whom had decided to remain in Dream and it would become apparent that the nature of how a cat and a bird Cadoure could have a ferret for a child was no more know to him than it might be to her.

Through all his telling, it would be clear the reverence they held for Saiore as somewhat of a mother figure and the with the regular mention of gift giving and festivals, he would with a little regret admit that he missed these behaviours.

"...and wen Saiore opened de ways tuh Idalos, me jost 'ad tuh come see wat was 'ere."
He explained.
"An like yuh say, me nat gone back yet."
He took a clean spoon a tasted a little of the jam, offering her to do the same with a spoon of her own. After which, he continued to tell his brief story of his time in Idalos thus far, meeting chest, setting up in Sweetsong and entering into the Cooking competition.

He paid reference to the Blackberry Picking, that they both attended, and shared with his fellow Forged member his delight.
"Since den, me 'ave found dat me love everyting Fairy related an' AND'! Me cun do dis..."
He cleared his throat and
began to sing a little song
. It had to be said, he was not a very good singer, but as he sang, from the air around them came the sound of a chorus of additional tiny ferret voices, which harmonised with him as he sang. The affect was something like a Barber Quartet and if Elizabeth decided to join in, he'd sing and cook with delight.

In answer to her query about his love of cooking he gave a great big
"OOOooohhhhh.... Well, me like tuh eat fud, see? Good fud. An' soh, yuh know... Me decided tuh make some fud, an' den some GUD fud."
He said plainly.
"An', fud makes de perfect kinda gift far anyting yuh like."
He added, in an attempt to avoid suggesting the only reason was to eat cake for breakfast, lunch and dinner every day... Though in reality, this probably was the main reason he began to cook at all.
"An' me do love tuh see peepal smile."
With that, he beamed at her with genuine pleasure.

"Yuh are very welcome tuh come see me some trial en Sweetsang."
He said and they sealed up the last jar of jam, ready to be stored.
"Angela keeps tellin' me I shud open a fud place. Me tink me like eatin' an' giftin' et too much tuh sell et though."
He admitted with a chuckle.
"Some fud es simply too good th sell an' cun only be eaten ar gifted."
He stated with a sage nod that suggested there was no doubt about the topic.

He suddenly seemed to remember something and turned to Chest, whom produced a small, poorly bound book of recipes.
"Please, wud yuh take dis?"
He offered it to her. If she looked, she would find a range of recipes, clearly written in the ferrets own penmanship. There were only a few, but included among them was a Honey Cake and the Lemon drops recipe he had used for their wedding gift, both covered in little addendum and additions with credit to Millicent Thunderbustle from Sairoe's Dream.
word count: 1111

Appearance

Equipement

Winston
Peer Reviewer
Peer Reviewer
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Rewards Requested

Notes/Warnings: This was a collab with Elisabeth whome had dropped off for now. I'd like to claim the XP and Knowledges for it if I can please, as it's got a lot of good content anyway.

Thread: [Haven] Haven Farm ~ Autumnal harvest cooking
City/Area: Faldrass Island

Renown: N/A
Wealth Points: N/A
Collaboration: Yes
Local Language Thread? No
 ! Message from: Pig Boy
Done!
word count: 170

Appearance

Equipement

Pig Boy
City Moderator
City Moderator
Race: Prophet
Profession: Rharne City Moderator
Renown: 666
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Featured

Contribution

RP Medals

Staff

Events

Winston

Feedback

Awww, it makes me a little sad to read this, although it's written lovely by both of you. The tour was well handled by both participants, and I loved the introduction to Storm, the honorary Mayor of Haven that was.

It's nice to read about the yummy things that Winston intends to make, even if he doesn't quite get all the way to making them.

Wonderful writing, both.

Rewards

• XP: 15

Knowledges

• Gardening: Don't trample your crops
  • Mount: Always be ready for the mount to wobble
  • Mount: Land: Fidgiting Mounts
  • Appraisal: Comparing age of books
  • Athletics: Climbing frames
  • Cooking: Being a commis chef
  • Cooking: Making long life jam
  • Non-skill: Origins of Haven
  • Storytelling: Telling his life story
  • Singing: Singing with friends while they cook

Elisabeth Black

Feedback

Come back, we miss you.

Rewards

• XP: 15
  • Logistics (T2) XP: 2
word count: 156

Your thread has been reviewed and its rewards issued! See your request here. Manage your rewards here.

Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Faldrass Island”