Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

[Fauna]The Silver Loom Spider

Name: The Silver Loom Spider.
Quick Facts: A spider that is prized by silk farmers. It produces large amounts of durable silk that is, while not sword-proof, produces fabric that is three times harder to cut than a fabric of the same thickness, and can be spun and mixed with lesser fabrics to grant them a lesser measure of the same quality. A colony of ten can be supported by and acquired by someone with at least tier 6 wealth.
Height: 1 foot
Width: 2 feet
Length: 3 feet
Weight: Around five lbs.
Native to: Ubiquitous around Temperate forest areas all around Idalos.
Skills: Animal Husbandry and Agriculture or Fieldcraft (Comp-Expert) to create a working colony of Silver Loom Spiders. Textile Production (Comp-Expert) in order to process the silk into workable fabrics.
Locations: In woodlands of the western and eastern continent. Some scattered colonies can be found in Scalvoris as well.

Habitat: These spiders produce a thick, and sturdy webbing that can be poached and later spun into other fabrics to create a silk hybrid fabric. They live mainly in forest biomes and tend not to do well in heavily populated centers. Often the agriculturists who raise these arachnids will have reclusive hideouts or else production centers away from villages.

Lifespan and Development: Roughly one cycle to develop into maturity, with a full lifespan of around six to ten arcs. Most Loom Spiders will die out as they vie for a place in the surrounding habitat, or fall prey to various woodland creatures unless captured and domesticated.

Diet: They eat insects mainly, of almost any size barring the giant variety. They often will be found to create a web opportunistically over a dead animal. Agriculturists will use dead flesh and offal to attract flies and other prey, in order to simulate this environment, and thus harvest more silk from the Loom Spider.

Temperament: They ignore their farmers, largely, and act on instincts, which prompts them to weave their webs, set their traps in the ground, and just generally carry on neutral to the world around them. This makes them an ideal candidate for agriculture and harvesting of their webs, as they are not at all territorial toward creatures larger than themselves, and will only bite or attack creatures smaller than themselves. Unlike other spiders, they are not cannibalistic, which means they can be raised in close quarters in colonies.

Abilities: The venom of the loom spider is a mild muscle toxin, that causes extreme pain but otherwise doesn't cause lasting harm except in cases of allergies. Remarkably, their venom can be used to metabolize the silk, and reduce its stickiness and at the same time preserve its strength.

They also, of course, can produce the silk of the Silver Loom Spider. A colony of roughly ten Loom spiders can produce up to 2 bolts of fabric per season, depending on the skill of the weaver and farmer. As long as they are well-fed, they will be able to metabolize the webbing needed to produce silk, and the venom to treat it.

Credit: Woe
Last edited by Woe on Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total. word count: 518
Words Like Violence, Break the Silence
Image*Image*Image

Mutations/Scars/Markings

Merged Shadow
Poison Blood
Strong Shadow
Horned Shadow
Winged Shadow
Shadowscar
Ignorance Domain
/tabmenu]
Trouble
Prophet of Old
Race: Prophet
Profession: Developer
Renown: 12
Templates
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Re: [Fauna]The Silver Loom Spider

I like the writeup for the spider. Never though I'd approve of spider farming, but this looks pretty good.

My concern lies not so much with the spider as with the silk. You mention that it is "resistant to cutting, and can be spun and mixed with lesser fabrics to grant them a measure of the same quality." How resistant are we talking here? If we're talking about making sword-proof vests out of spider webs then it'll be a bit of an issue, but if it's only a slight resistance I don't see the harm.

Also you mentioned for the location "Continental Woodlands, flourishing during Spring, Summer, and Autumn." Could we change this to Idalosian standards? List with regions it can be found it, and which of the six Idalosian seasons it flourishes in.
word count: 140
Woe
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Unemployed
Renown: 1590
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Wealth Tier: Tier 8

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Heya, thanks for the feedback, Trouble.

I've added a passage in the quick facts about what kind of tier wealth we're looking at for supporting a colony of these buggers. Does tier 6 sound good for a single colony?

Good point on the cut resistance. I've tried to be more specific with how effective it is. Does the following sound reasonable, or does it need more nerfing? ;)
It produces large amounts of durable silk that is, while not sword-proof, produces fabric that is three times harder to cut than a fabric of the same thickness, and can be spun and mixed with lesser fabrics to grant them a lesser measure of the same quality.
I've also pinpointed where these bugs might be found:

Native to: Ubiquitous around Temperate forest areas all around Idalos.

Locations: In woodlands of the western and eastern continent. Some scattered colonies can be found in Scalvoris as well.
I realize that might be too open... If you think we ought to narrow it down further, I can do that.

Thanks!
word count: 179
Words Like Violence, Break the Silence
Image*Image*Image

Mutations/Scars/Markings

Merged Shadow
Poison Blood
Strong Shadow
Horned Shadow
Winged Shadow
Shadowscar
Ignorance Domain
/tabmenu]
Trouble
Prophet of Old
Race: Prophet
Profession: Developer
Renown: 12
Templates
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Yep, this looks good to me. I'm happy with the edits, and wealth tier 6 seems like a reasonable wealth tier for a professional spider farmer.

I am happy to give this my...

Approved by Trouble
word count: 37
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “CtW - Approved, needs Wiki'd”