• Memory • On a leash, a student I (Graded)

72th Ashan, 710

This is a forum where you can write threads in the wilderness of the Eastern Continent.
Pharan
Approved Character
Race: Avriel
Profession: Diplomatic Aide
Renown: 15
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates
Wealth Tier: Tier 5

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

On a leash, a student I (Graded)

72th Ashan, 710
I
t was a small weapon. The blade was no longer than a woman’s hand measured wrist to fingertips, and the elegantly curved hilt added less bulk than even that. A beast resembling a peacock wound around the sheath, the semi-precious stone of the inlaid work shining bright blue and green in the light of the setting sun. One or two of the stones had cracked and grime gathered in the nook between locket and body but neither made the dagger a less formidable display of craftsmanship.

Pharan looked from the blade towards the woman holding it. The Eídisi’s face was unreadable, showing, if anything, an inert focus on him.

He looked towards the side, where Praxes busied himself with his hunting gear. The Ithecal had joined them a trial after the last hamlet had faded from view, emerging from the undergrowth beside their campsite like a ghost. He had stayed with them ever since. Some mornings he would run ahead to check their direction and surrounding others he would vanish for a break or two only to return with a hare he had caught or eggs he had plucked from this nest or that. Sometimes he would talk to his keeper in a tongue Pharan didn’t understand. Beside whatever language they used in their quiet parlance, Praxes also spoke the uncouth tongue Pharan had encountered in so many places since leaving Athart—usually to issue commands Pharan tried to ignore until a yank at his chains persuaded him otherwise.

Having felt his gaze, Praxes looked up to meet his eyes. “Don’t ye look at me like that. I told ‘er ye are too stupid to realize it would be madness to run off on ye own with no food and no equipment and no village around for miles—but she believes ye will stay for that trinket of yah.”

The Ithecal shook his head. For a beast so large, the man had a deep, melodic voice when he spoke in Common. As so often, Pharan was taken aback by the dissonance between his blunt, if soft-spoken words and animal appearance.

Pharan looked back to where the Eídisi still stood beside the fire, holding the gift his mother had made him so long ago. He straightened, drawing closer to the fire. They exchange a long glance before he lifted his bound hands.

Some bits later, he was free. The chain and iron-shackles cluttered to the ground and he stumbled backward. No one tried to stop him as he spread his wings. Muscles, unused for too long, strained as he took a few tentative beats with his wings. He rose two, three feet from the ground, then almost stumbled as he dropped back into the high grass. The Eídisi watched him dispassionately. Praxes stepped forward—to take hold of him or to keep him from falling Pharan couldn’t tell. He veered away from both. The log of a fallen tree rose from the ground nearby, where it had collapsed against some boulders. At the second try, Pharan managed to vault onto the struck down monstrosity. His talons found ample purchase in the rotting wood as he staggered higher on his make-shift ladder. The ground rushed close then slowly grew distance as he threw himself from the log.

Beneath him, the clearing shrank. He struggled against a breeze blowing hard from the south-east, carrying with it the scent of the sea. Pharan rose higher and higher, the canopies of mangroves and tall jungle trees stretching out as far as he could see. The air grew thin around him. He looked down. His keepers had turned into dots of colors moving in the high grass. Something small broke the light, shimmering blue and gold. Pharan angled closer but he knew what he was looking at before in fact seeing it.

It was the dagger, now hanging from the woman’s belt.

Pharan folded his wings. In a blur of color, the ground sprang close. He angled his arms to the side, to bring himself over the Eídisi. He could see her features now, not indifferent anymore—disappointed. She lifted a hand. A shiver of light, painted a bright blue, filled his vision, stretching out to either side beneath him. Distantly he was aware of the changing currents, then the air was knocked from his lungs when he crashed into the barrier. The shield seemed to sing as his talons racked across it, then he was already falling.

He hit the grass. Again, he felt the air forced out of him. He felt grateful for the vegetation which had eased his fall. Praxes face appeared over him as the world grew dark. “Don’t tell me I did no warn ye. All your people are…”

But whatever all his people were, Pharan didn’t catch it anymore.
word count: 819
Pharan
Approved Character
Race: Avriel
Profession: Diplomatic Aide
Renown: 15
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates
Wealth Tier: Tier 5

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Re: On a leash, a student I

W
hen Pharan woke, his head was spinning. Absent-minded, he touched his wrists but found no shackles. Framed by the claustrophobic canopies of ancient mangroves, the sky had taken on a purple tint. He pushed back the blanket someone had draped over him and set up. With a wince, he spread his wings. Nothing broken. Nothing sprained.

To the side, the Eídisi woman sat cross-legged beside a pond choked with jungle vines and heavy-blossomed lilies. In the quiet of the encampment, he could hear the tireless scratching of her quill over paper. Once he had tried to look over her shoulder, to see what she was jotting down, but it had all just been random marks, signs and letters and blobs of ink he couldn’t decipher. He had given up fast.

Pharan looked around.

A movement between the trees announced Praxes return before the Ithecal stepped out onto the clearing. As always, the man moved with the casual grace of someone used to maneuver the undergrowth. Pharan found himself watch him before his eyes fell on the bundle of firewood Praxes was carrying under one arm.

“No. No,” Pharan said as the branches hit the ground before his feet. “I am not your servant.”

“As well as that might be—ye aren’t the one paying me neither. That’s the lass,” Praxes said as he brushed bits of fragrant bark and earth from his tunic. He pointed towards the Eídisi. “And unlike those villagers, I am no going to pamper ye. Ye here. Ye work.”

Pamper,” Pharan spat. “One, they chain me, like animal. Two, they put me into the barn, like animal. Three, they trade me for sheep—like animal.”

“Aye. And they put clothes on yah back and food in yah mouth and gave ye a bit to sleep, too,” the other man said, looking down on him. “It’s more than most would’ve done after yah mates made a nuisance out of themselves at their tavern, fuckin with the barkeep.” He made a chopping motion with one hand. “Would have cost ye yah head, some places. Lucky you, they saw you did nothing. Were decent folk, those villagers.”

Pharan gave him a sullen expression. He looked towards where his keeper sat. She was still writing in her journal. He willed her to look up, to take note of his plight, but she kept her gaze trained on her writing. His eyes dropped on the firewood.

“Ye know how to do it?”, Praxes questioned.

“Of course,” Pharan said as he got up, but accepted the tinderbox the other man offered him.

Once he had gathered some branches in the middle of the camp, Pharan crouched. The tinderbox contained scraps of bark and yellowed grass, a stone, smooth on one side and jagged on the other and a piece of firesteel—a band of metal given the form of a horsehead.

“Ye--”, the Ithecal started but Pharan waved him to silence.

Praxes lifted his hands and returned to check his gear. Pharan had found it was something of an obsession of the other man, to make sure everything was where it belonged and in order. He would do it in the morning, before he sat out, and in the evening, when he came back. He had seen him at it two dozen times or more—just as often as he had seen him deal with the campfire.

Pharan’s attention shifted back to the task at hand. He turned the flint in his hand until he could see its ragged side. He hit it with the steel. Nothing happened. It took him three or four tries until he had found the right angle, and then some because he had forgotten to take the tinder from the box and the grass to his feet was still too fresh to catch fire. With a bit of smug satisfaction Pharan dropped the burning branch onto the pile. Others quickly followed before Praxes voice echoed from the side.

“Careful—if ye pile it all up like that, you will suffocate the flame.” Praxes had been checking the edge of his boning-knife, a heavy blade he used on the kills he had dressed. Now he looked up to watch him, gesturing with one hand. “Put… no. No like this. Do… no, over there—aye. That’s better. Make it cone-shaped. That way the air gets to the wood.”

Silence settled over them as the fire began to lick at the branches Pharan had added to the fire with a little more care following the Ithecal’s tirade. Pharan sat down by the fire to level his gaze at the other man. “Worth it?”, he asked dryly.

“If ye mean if I find worth in teaching ye how to make—”

“—worth coming all the way from Viden, watch me make fire,” he interrupted.

Praxes looked at him, the surprise evident on his long face. Throwing back his head, he laughed. “Ye think we came all the way down just to burden us with ye?” He broke off, to exchange some words with the Eídisi who even looked up.

“No… she came here for something else. Ye only a complication.”

The woman said something.

“Well… not just a complication,” the Ithecal amended a little more amicable.
word count: 890
Strange
Prophet of Old
Race: Undead (Ghost)
Renown: 999
Character Sheet
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Staff

Re: On a leash, a student I

Thread Review

Pharan

Pharan
Skill Points: +10 (cannot be used for magic)
Magic XP: None.

Renown: None.

Injuries/Overstepping: None.
Wealth Points: None.
Loot: None.

Skill Knowledges:
  • Acrobatics: Using your talons to climb more easily
  • Flying: The higher you fly the thinner the air gets
  • Flying: Folding your wings to drop altitude quickly
  • Field Craft: Making fire using a firestone
  • Field Craft: How to arrange firewood to not suffocate the flame
  • Rhetoric: Using Enumeration to make a list of arguments more forceful
Non-Skill Knowledges:
  • Praxes (Flavor NPC)
  • Praxes: Was hired by Pharan’s future mentor Jaene
  • Praxes: Is a hunter/tracker
  • Praxes: Is a decent guy
Notes: n/a.

I enjoyed reading your description of flight and you write Avriels in a wonderfully immersive fashion. It was entertaining to read the exchange between the ithecal and Pharan, an interesting situation for a captured Avriel and a kind-hearted mercenary ithecal, all in service for an Eidisi. I wonder how it'll turn out for them all...

Great job and enjoy your rewards!

PM me if you have any questions, issues or concerns.

Total Word Count: 1737 words.
Review Request Link: viewtopic.php?f=316&t=17355
stampcodehere

word count: 198
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Eastern Plains”