• Graded • [Hopetoun] The Unboxing

A small island with an active volcano, Faldrass is the home to Saoire's school and to the Faldrass Induk.

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Darius Baer Bottom
Wiki Worker
Wiki Worker
Race: Human
Profession: Woodworker / Sailor
Renown: 1125
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 9

[Hopetoun] The Unboxing

Arc 721, 2nd of Ymiden
Darius estimated that it must have been a break or so past midnight when he stepped into his home in Hopetoun.

He couldn't be absolutely certain of the time, as his head was still feeling the gentle buzz of ale as it swirled about in his stomach, and the mirth and shared stories still warmed his head. The feast had been quite a success, and the hubbub of conversation, interspersed with the occasional bout of laughter, could still be heard in the background.

But Darius was grateful for the opportunity to have a break from the crowd. Others might not have realised it, given he had people who followed his leadership in a barony, a settlement, and a ship, but the bearded blond appreciated opportunities to spend time alone, or with a select few people who he felt particularly close to. And after an eventful trial that had started shortly after dawn, the founder of Hopetoun was looking forward to a rest.

He walked through the small dining room that was by the entrance, and lit an oil lamp as he stepped into the bedroom. He took a few moments to watch the yellow and orange glowing light slowly invade the otherwise dark space. Taking a swig from his waterskin, he intentionally spilt a portion into the palm of his hand and rubbed the liquid across his face. Then he opened his shuttered window and, taking a seat at the foot of his bed, stared out at the star-filled sky.

As he took a moment to relax, he shifted slightly and felt his foot brush something. Leaning forward, his balance a little less certain than it would have been had he not consumed any alcohol earlier in the evening, he saw that the moonlight was revealing a familiar red box. Perhaps a little more confidently than he should have, he leaned over a bit further and reached out in an attempt to pick it up.
Last edited by Darius Baer Bottom on Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total. word count: 332
Avalon
Race: Prophet
Profession: Bootiful Bean
Renown: 0
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Featured

Contribution

Staff

Events

Re: [Hopetoun] The Unboxing

Saoire

“People often don’t realize that socializing with others can drain emotional energy, even in those that are suited to such and happy to do so.”

The soft voice came from the other side of his open door. If he looked, he would see the presence of a blond woman he recognized - Saoire. It had been a while, but then again, she never changed. Smiling warmly at him with a basket in hand, she walked over to the nearest table, setting down said basket. “Hello Darius. It’s been a while. How have you been?” The little things mattered, and Saoire understood that. It might have seemed like a bit of insincere small talk coming from another, but she was truly interested in the answer.

“I thought you might be ready to open your box, and I wished to be here with you when you did, if that is alright with you? I brought some little bites too.” Opening the small basket, she pushed the organza material aside so the blond sailor could see a small assortment of cookies. “I’ll leave these with you, but the lemon cookies are divine.”

Giving him her full attention, Saoire considered the man in front of her. There was a strength to him that many didn’t have, and yet in her opinion, Darius had a warmth and openness that people could relate to. It allowed him to connect to people, and she was very pleased with how he used those abilities.

“I want you to know that I’m very happy with the progress here in Hopetoun. You and the people here have done very well.” It was true, and only right to say so. “You’ve helped build a community instead of just a place to live, and that’s very important, especially here on Faldrass.” Community was important, no matter where, but as people returned to Faldrass, it additionally provided a certain sense of security, a shared identity.

She fell quiet, waiting to see what he would say. It wasn’t good to overwhelm another, and as such, the Immortal stood there, curious to find out his thoughts.

word count: 359
Darius Baer Bottom
Wiki Worker
Wiki Worker
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Darius had been leaning over, fingers outstretched as he reached for the gift, when a voice filled the room. The sudden realisation that he was not alone gave the man a fright, and, having been perched precariously on the end of his bed, he soon found himself unceremoniously losing his balance and falling onto the hard floor. His backside would likely ache the next trial, and he was tempted to rub it as he looked towards the voice's owner, but when he saw that it was Saoire, he was glad that he had restrained himself.

In that moment, he realised that not only was he in the presence of an Immortal, but that the effects of the alcohol had evaporated from his system. The mere shock of her presence was enough to sober him up. His cheeks were still red, but that was because of the embarrassment he felt at having just fallen off his bed. He was glad that she had spoken, though - another few bits, and he might have been in his underclothes!

"W-welcome to Hopet-toun," he said, stumbling with his words as he tried to regather himself so that his racing heart could slow to a resting pace.

Taking a moment, Darius climbed to his feet, collecting the small red box as he did so. He brushed himself down briefly, a slightly embarrassed expression crossing his features as he answered Saoire's question.

"I've been well," he answered honestly. "It has been something of a learning curve, but I think we're getting there. I'm very proud of how the Hopetounians have adjusted to life here."

When the Maiden of Gifts spoke of the small box in his hands, Darius' gaze dropped to look at it.

"Aye," he grinned, "I won't deny that I've been very curious about this."

The delivery of cookies was a gentle distraction. Darius had always been fond of baking, ever since he was a young child, though his mind was suddenly reminded of a rather eventful baking experience with Yeva the previous arc.

He reached over for one of the lemon cookies - not his first choice, but a host did not ignore a generous guest's recommendation - and took a bite as Saoire spoke fondly of Hopetoun. He nodded in agreement, wiping a few crumbs away from his beard as he quickly finished eating the sweet treat.

"Aye, the people of Faldrass have made the community what it is," he acknowledged. "They make me proud to be a Scalvorian."

Darius didn't know if Immortals could tell whether or not someone was being sincere, but he certainly knew that he was. Ever since their inauspicious return to Faldrass, the settlers had exceeded his expectations.
Last edited by Darius Baer Bottom on Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total. word count: 459
Avalon
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Staff

Events

Saoire

If she was amused at his antics, Saoire did an admirable job of hiding it, simply offering the befuddled man a smile in greeting. ““I’m sorry for startling you, but I wanted to be here when you opened your gift.”

Moving further into the space, giving him room to join her in the main room, she replied gently as he spoke of challenges and his pride in how the settlers were adjusting. “You should be proud. Her eyes met Darius' and she said, very clearly. You have all done extremely well considering everything. A new settlement is challenging for all involved, and it takes a special kind of person to rise to that.” Hopetoun had been a success, and the Immortal felt the need for him to understand that he had done good.

Saoire had many thoughts on the idea of community and what she was seeing within those that had resettled on Faldrass and decided to share a few with him. “What has been accomplished here will grow. Hopetoun is a start; a seed, if you will. Faldrass is special. I came here, not expecting to find a home. I think, oddly enough, more than a few people have come here with the same inclination but ended up understanding what a unique place it is, and will continue to grow into. It has become home for more than one unsuspecting soul, captured by something so distinctive that it’s hard to explain.”

Glancing at him, the blond Immortal smiled, a bit of a mysterious glint in her gaze. “A peculiar place, Faldrass. Wouldn’t you agree?”

Smiling as he took a bite of one of the cookies, she considered the blond sailor with a contemplative look. "The thing about being a leader that I've discovered, is that new challenges are always on the horizon. The job is never done, and morphs in a million ways one wouldn't expect. Always something new. It's wonderful, and sometimes tricky. I say this to highlight the importance of taking care of yourself so you are ready to meet those challenges, and I have ever confidence that you will." Ever the mentor, she said what she felt she needed to, and moved on.

In addition to opening your gift, I wished to provide you the opportunity to ask any questions you desired, if you have them. I will try to answer as best I can." Teaching was a part of who the Immortal was, and as such, giving others the chance to ask questions was important to her.

word count: 429
Darius Baer Bottom
Wiki Worker
Wiki Worker
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Darius nodded when Saoire spoke of being there when he opened his gift. He looked down at the curious red box, and felt its weight as he turned it over in his hands.

His attention returned to the Immortal as she responded to his expression of pride in the efforts of the Hopetounians. She was effusive in her praise, and the Scalvorian knew that would take some getting used to. One didn't expect an Immortal to congratulate the efforts of mere mortals, and yet that was precisely what Saoire was doing.

Darius nodded in agreement, but was grateful that the conversation switched to the nature of Faldrass itself, and how it had become a new home for both of them.

"Aye, there is a harsh beauty to it, I find," he replied with a gentle grin. "It can take a little getting used to, but it grows on you."

He watched on in silence as Saoire took a bite of her cookie and - once again - endorsed him. There was nobody else around, and the privacy of the expression of support meant more than if she'd been declaring it to all of Idalos.

When Saoire invited him to ask any questions he might have, Darius felt his pulse quicken. There had been one query that had been on his mind ever since the Libertalia and the accompanying supply ship had pulled away from Almund on their first journey to Faldrass after the eruption. It had started off as a mere curiosity, but as time went by, and Hopetoun grew and became more established, the bearded blond found his mind being drawn back to it more frequently.

That, didn't make asking it any easier, of course, but the Immortal had extended an invitation, and he knew there would there would no better opportunity to accept.

He looked at his gift again. He was curious to know what it was, but he wagered that Saoire's insight would be more valuable.

"I do have one question," he began, spending a few moments trying to find the right words, before abandoning those efforts in favour of just taking the plunge. "When we spoke in Almund, you and Faldrass asked me and Balthazar to not tell the Faldrassians that you were the ones who wanted us to establish settlements on the island."

Darius remembered almost every word that has been said in Almund. After all, one didn't get cornered in an alleyway by an Immortal and an Induk and forget about it.

"Faldrass said that the people needed a leader, rather than a god," he went on, "so that they might not become dependent on you."

The noise of the feast outside continued to wafting in through one of the windows, and Darius nodded towards it as if they could see the settlers who were clearly still enjoying themselves.

"I was wondering...when do you think would be a good time to tell the settlers? They have achieved so much with their own hands. I doubt they would suddenly become dependent on you and Faldrass. I don't want to tell them earlier than I should, but I don't want to have them think I've been deceiving them."

Darius' brow had furrowed, and his features showed the strain of a conflicted man as he looked to Saoire for advice. And in doing so, he realised that he was now relying on the Immortal, and thus doing the very thing that she had not wanted the Hopetounians to do from the beginning.
word count: 592
Avalon
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Staff

Events

Saoire

She observed as he held the red box, ever curoius as to what he was thinking and feeling, but said nothing. This visit was not for her; it was for Darius.

His question was a good one, prompting a smile from the Immortal. She liked that he took his time with asking it, giving the background so she would know why he was asking. It was the little things that always drew her attention, and the blond sailor was always aware of minute details.

Saoire listened to Darius and she was quiet and thoughtful throughout as he asked his question. It was obvious that the Immortal was paying close attention and it was only when Darius had finished speaking that Saoire had anything to add. She was there to be with him and listen, offering clarity as she could.

In respect of the way he had meticulously present the question, did she answer, using the same care and detail. “When we spoke in Almund, that was the beginning of a new adventure for many. We hoped for the best, as is always right to do, but one never knows how matters will turn out. A decision was made to be cautious until things developed with the settlements. and the situation was clearer, so to speak.”

Clasping her hands calmy in front of her, the Immortal considered Hopetoun’s leader with a sympathetic expression. Journeys were never easy. They took time and patience, and she spoke of such. “Time progressed, and the settlements forged ahead. There were challenges and hurdles. Communities developed and decisions were made, creating paths forward.”

She was careful with the words she picked, wishing to make sure her meaning was understood. “And leaders were created. Leaders that understood the communities and people they worked with. It's not something that happens overnight, building that bond with people. It takes patience, understanding and authenticity, because it's a matter of trust.

Smiling again, Saoire came to the point of her reply. “If anyone knows when the right time is, it’s you. Darius. You are Hopetoun's settlement leader. You've earned the trust of the people here. Thus, the decision is yours.”

Ever the mentor, she quietly waited to see how he reacted, searching his face for some sort of sign what thoughts were going through Darius' mind.

word count: 392
Darius Baer Bottom
Wiki Worker
Wiki Worker
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Darius was grateful for Saoire's patience. He knew there was an air of insecurity to his question which might be perceived as a weakness, rather than an earnest attempt to do the right thing by the people of Hopetoun. But if he couldn't allow himself to be vulnerable as a leader with the very individual who had placed him in that position, who could he share such learning opportunities with?

When the answer came, it matched that which his gut had told him. In light of that, he might have been annoyed with himself for asking Saoire a question that, ultimately, he knew the answer to. But the Immortal's gracious manner aided him in resisting the temptation to berate himself.

Instead, he simply nodded in quiet acceptance.

A pause fell over the conversation, and, were it not for the revelry outside, silence might have done the same. Darius' grey eyes caught a glimpse of the cookies that The Maiden Of Gifts had brought, and he picked one up and began to eat.

It was a way to give him time to think; to process his thoughts. He was sure Saoire was not fooled at all. In fact, he hoped she might understand. He had been carrying a question with him since founding Hopetoun and it had finally been answered. Taking time out to enjoy a sweet treat seemed like the right thing to do.

But then, as he wiped the crumbs away from his beard, his attention returned to the small red box. He turned it over in his hand as he studied it in the dim light. His most pressing question had been answered, but another mystery remained: what was inside the box?

He lifted his gaze back to Saoire - looking into the eyes of an Immortal was an experience that he was sure he would never get used to - and raised his palm, holding up the small red box as he did.

"I think I'm ready to open this, now," he said.

So after a few patient trills, (and unless Saoire objected), he set about doing precisely that.
word count: 354
Avalon
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Staff

Events

Saoire

As Darius began to open the box, Saoire smiled. Mentorship involved many different elements, and each person was unique in what they responded to or needed. It was one of the things that fascinated the Immortal about others and why she was so passionate about the subject. Sharing one's unique gifts with others was a gift in itself, and something to be treasured.

As the small box opened, Darius would find a palm-sized crystal ball nestled within. Upon closer inspection, the blond man would see a miniaturized replica of Hopetoun. Of course, she didn't expect him to understand precisely what the object did, so an explanation was in order. "This is a scrying snowglobe, and it's enchanted with the ability to view Hopetoun from afar remotely. If you watch the snowglobe, you can see, in real-time, everything that occurs outside of buildings within the boundaries of the settlement."

Giving him a few moments to inspect the gift, she crossed her arms in front of her and patiently waited before continuing. "Hopefully, this gift will give you a bit of peace when you must be away from Hopetoun." As always, the Immortal spoke softly, choosing words carefully. "Being a leader can be stressful. Minimizing the stresses one can is something I believe in, and I thought it an appropriate gift to give, in thanks for the hard work you've been involved with here."

Saoire had no desire to overwhelm the moment. Quietly, she watched him, waiting to see if he had any questions she could answer, but did speak to her need to depart soon. "I am afraid I will need to leave shortly," she said with soft smile. "Before I do - is there anything else I can answer for you or assistance you might need. Regarding Hopetoun or beyond, I am happy to be a listening ear if you require one. "

word count: 318
Darius Baer Bottom
Wiki Worker
Wiki Worker
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Letters
Point Bank Thread

As Darius began to gently pull at the red paper, he was surprised by how easily it allowed itself to fall away. The small gift had travelled across the Hollow Sea and had sat amidst the dust and sulfuric scent of Faldrass since the settlers had first made landfall, and it had resolutely resisted unravelling or losing its shape in any way. And yet, it seemed, now that the receiver of the present was ready to open it, it was willing to simply be revealed.

He looked down at the small object in the palm of his hand. With a squint, a furrowed brow, and a cocked head, he suddenly realised that he was looking at Hopetoun. He hadn't seen the settlement from a bird's-eye view before, but he had seen it from the elevated hillsides along Faldrass' western coast, and he began to recognise some of the structures. The palisade was the first to stand out, but then he could see other familiar buildings, including the one in which he now stood.

It was only when Saoire began to talk about the snow globe - and he studied it more closely as a result - that he realised it was more than just an impressively accurate model. He could see people moving about, including the revelry of those at the feast, whose noise could still be heard from outside.

For nigh on a bit, Darius just stared at the globe in wonder, and it took everything within him to resist stepping outside just to see himself within it!

Eventually, though, he knew he had to snap himself out of such a focus, for it would be rude to not express his gratitude to The Maiden Of Gifts.

"Thank you," he breathed. "This is...amazing. And will be extremely useful."

He stopped short of saying it was more than he deserved. Although he felt that that was true, he wasn't going to question an Immortal or suggest that she was making a mistake in giving him the present.

"I don't have any other questions," he thought aloud, though he was sure he would have other queries in the future. "Yet."

For now, though, he was somewhat stunned. He had been visited by an Immortal in his own home, and he was holding an extraordinary gift that would most certainly ease his mind when he was away from the settlement. He couldn't imagine a better gift.

Except, perhaps, for the cookies.
word count: 414
Avalon
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Staff

Events

Darius

Overview

Darius is always such a stable presence, and this thread allowed people to see those oh-so-very subtle nuances to his character. He's progressed so much as a leader and yet still knows there is more to learn. He's slowly learning to trust his instincts when it comes to the settlement, and accepts Saoire's guidance gracefully, which speaks to how he is developing as a character. I loved how he took Saoire popping into his room in stride and just soldiered on. His life is full enough of unique challenges without Immortals blinking in, but he's always understanding.

Thank you for letting me mod this for you! - Avalon

XP:15
Renown: 10

Loot

• Yummy cookies! (They are just cookies, but very delicious)
  • Scrying Snowglobe - A palm-sized crystal ball, within which appears to be a miniaturized replica of Hopetoun settlement. This orb is in fact a powerful magical item enchanted with the ability to remotely view your settlement from afar. By watching the snowglobe you are able to see, in real-time, everything that occurs outside of buildings within the boundaries of your settlement.

Knowledge

Etiquette x 3
Leadership x 3
Caregiving x 2
Socialization x 3
Discipline x 2

Review Stamp:
word count: 210
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Faldrass Island”