Forgive us our trespasses. Pt 1

45th of Ymiden 718

Once an isolated and dying township, an influx of academics, adventurers and thrill seekers have made Scalvoris Town their home. From scholars' tea shops to a new satellite campus for Viden Academy, this is an exciting place to visit or make your home!

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Faith Augustin Champion
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Fanatical Philanthropist
Renown: 2270
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

45th Ymiden, 718
The Scholars' Nook
"Flea? Oh I am so very sorry," Faith said and, without thought or hesitation, she hugged the young man. He looked at her and fury filled his expression. "I didn't hear anything, Faith, I swear it." Faith nodded and just hugged him for a moment, then walked over to some chairs with him. The Nook, as they all knew it, was closed but equally it was busy. People were here to help and yet in the midst of that, Flea looked lost and alone, looking around and wondering what to do and when to do it. He turned to Faith and spoke, his voice sounding more like that of a child. "I don't know what I'm supposed to say to people, Faith." She nodded, her hand in his as they moved together to sit. "What happened, Flea?"

Looking at her and then glancing at Maz, the server here who put down a cup of tea in front of them both, Flea began to speak. It was heart wrenching to hear him talk, so stilted and unsure. Flea told stories and loved words, but even they were failing him at the moment. She listened and she got no more information from him than she'd heard on the way over here. Caz's body had been found by Flea in the early breaks of this morning. He'd come downstairs to open up and she'd been here. "If I'd heard anything, maybe...." He looked at Faith and Flea frowned. Suddenly, as though realising something. "You. You do things, everyone knows it. Good things, helpful things. Miracles." Faith put her hand on his arm, wishing that she could say something different. "I can't bring her back, Flea," he looked at her as though she was talking nonsense.

"Well, no one can do that!" Flea said, like she really wasn't that bright and Faith looked at him with serious silver and ruby eyes. "I meant, you can find out who did this, you can, can't you?" Faith looked at him and wished that she could say yes, she could do that and she would, he had nothing to worry about. But fundamentally, she was far too honest for such a thing. So, she answered him the best she could. "I will certainly try. If you want me to, I believe the Elements will allow me to conduct an investigation." Flea smiled at her, nodding his head and his hand squeezing hers. "I know you'll find out what happened to her, Faith. I know you will. Thank you. And I've already told them," Flea said, the anger returning to his gaze. "I don't trust them. No one does, you know. This happened, how could they let this happen?" Faith squeezed his hand gently.

"I think they're just people doing their best, Flea," she said, softly. She wanted to believe that, anyhow. Yet, she understood why people didn't. She really understood. "But with your permission, I'll do my best. You'll need to think about what level of access you want me to have to her, now, that kind of thing. You don't need to think about it now but..." Flea looked at her and shook his head. "Full. Whatever you need. If there are clues on her.. on her body, then you'll find them. And you'll do the funeral, Faith, won't you?" Faith looked more than a little surprised. "Please. You were her friend and you're blessed by Famula and Vri. You will, won't you."

With a nod of her head and a squeeze to his arm Faith spoke softly. "Of course I will, Flea. Of course I will." It was her duty and her privilege to do so at his request. "I'll make sure she's loved and cared for. We'll see her safe." She spoke softly to him and, at her last words, Flea started to sob.
640 words
word count: 675
Life, Death and the In-Between .
Faith Augustin Champion
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Fanatical Philanthropist
Renown: 2270
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

Once Flea had regained some control, it became more and more apparent that he was angry. He felt let down by the guard, by the people of Scalvoris. Maybe by the Immortals themselves. He didn't know what to do or where to go - he couldn't contain the anger but equally, he didn't feel like he could be angry at anyone. It was frustrating, which served only to make the anger worse. She watched him and she could see the fury building in him, so Faith spent some time talking to him. It was important to this investigation, too, that she found out everything she could.

So, she chatted with Flea, or tried to make it seem like that was what she was doing. She wanted and needed to find out all she could and so she very quietly, carefully, found out what he remembered. He'd heard a bell, he said - or he thought he had. That was what had woken him up. Faith frowned slightly and squeezed his arm. "Hang on. I just want to get a book." The earnest young woman stood and walked to a particular shelf and she felt her own grief hit her in the chest. Lifting a hand to two of the books there, Faith heard Caz's voice echo "Faith's shelf I'm going to call it. It's so morbid, who wants to think about death?" Closing her eyes against the onslaught of emotions, Faith breathed in. She had to be strong for Flea here, but Caz was her friend and for all that Faith understood grief to be a selfish thing, so too did she recognise that there was nothing wrong with it. Her emotions were necessary and appropriate that she felt them. As Famula's servant, as Vri's and Moseke's, Faith knew these trials that she had to understand death and life and grief and sorrow.

Bringing the books back to Flea, she flicked through until she found what she was looking for. "Here, look. Bells are known for calming souls. Especially funerary bells." She showed Flea where it said that and he lowered his head to it. "Yeah. Funeral bells. That's what it sounded like, Faith. And.. salt?" Faith nodded, dipping her head to look at him with a question in her eyes. "Flea?"

He sighed slightly. "She was in a circle of salt, Faith," he spoke softly, like he was concerned that someone might hear. "It looked like some kind of ritual thing and I didn't want the Elements saying that she wasn't a good person so.. so... well, I..."

"You destroyed it?" Faith asked and Flea nodded, miserably.

Faith understood why he had, but she really wished he hadn't. According to the book they were looking at, that salt circle might have been a protective thing, he might have unleashed something. Faith simply didn't know, but she'd find out. Looking around the room, Faith narrowed her eyes. There were no souls in here. None. When was the last time she'd been in a room with no souls at all? She breathed in and sighed. There was something going on here, no doubting it.

All the more reason to investigate. 529 words

Salt & Bells.
word count: 549
Life, Death and the In-Between .
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Scalvoris Town”