Scalvoris Harbour Clinic - Patient Encounters

Encounters with those needing medical care

45th of Ashan 718

Once an isolated and dying township, an influx of academics, adventurers and thrill seekers have made Scalvoris Town their home. From scholars' tea shops to a new satellite campus for Viden Academy, this is an exciting place to visit or make your home!

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Hookor Crook
Approved Character
Race: Mixed Race
Profession: Student
Renown: 65
Character Sheet
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Milestones

Miscellaneous

45th Trial in Ashan, Arc 718
It had only been a few days since the start of classes, but Hookor was already eager to put into practice what he had learned. Of course, he was a mere volunteer, and required the presence of a "real" healer when ever he was working at the clinic. It was simple wooden structure, the Harbour Clinic, with several rooms set off from the front reception, and the general surgery to the rear. A welcoming emblem, Healing Hands held outward, sat above the main door leading in. Inside, Crook reached for his white work robe. It was, in fact, more of a long white coat, which he often left open, as he meandered about his tasks before the clinic opened for business. Soon it would weigh him down with bottles, and instruments.

The front reception area was quiet in the morning, but by mid trial was always full. Coughing, sneezing, and many times groaning, all filled the ears with the familiar. At the desk, taking down names and ailments, was Millie Beanata, or "Millie Beans" as she was known to her co-workers, and those she liked. She was a stout woman, weight on her hips and cheeks from age and eating. Her smile was warming, her demeanor a combination of kindness and competence. Hookor smiled every time he came to work, and she always welcomed him with a warm nod and smile back.

And so began his shift, like every shift, at the Sclavoris Harbour Clinic...
Last edited by Hookor Crook on Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total. word count: 252
Devin
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Baron Smooglethorn
Renown: 1145
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Sclavoris Harbour Clinic - Patient Encounters

A few bits after Hookor had entered the clinic, Devin came through the door, clutching his leg. His face was twisted with pain, he was pale, he appeared to be sweating, and his hair was completely disheveled – in short, he looked as if he were in pretty bad shape. He stood there for a moment and looked around, as if he didn’t know what to do and who to turn to, and then he walked up to … no, stumbled up to Millie’s desk and held onto it with both hands as if he were worried that his legs would give out under him, breathing heavily.

“You have to help me!” he exclaimed, gritting his teeth as if a wave of pain were washing over him, and he could hardly bear it. “I had an accident! I was nearly run over by a carriage. I think my leg’s broken, and it’s turning blue as well! Look!” With that he dropped his pants, and then he suddenly stood in front of Millie nothing but a pair of very short, black underpants that left little to the imagination and looked at her, completely unashamed.

On his right upper thigh was a large bruise that was mostly blue with a hint of yellow. It looked rather nasty – but he hadn’t gotten it because he had nearly been run over by a carriage. He had moved too much in his sleep, fallen out of his bed and landed on the hard floor which was too embarrassing to tell anybody about it and not particularly impressive either.

“I need something right now!” he informed Millie and extended a hand towards her, palm facing upwards, as if he expected her to drop a few pills into it. “Where’s the doctor? I think I’m about to pass out from the pain!” he announced. In truth, the pain was manageable, more or less, and it would probably be gone completely within a trial or so, and his leg wasn't broken either, but he didn’t see why he shouldn’t try to cash in on his injury. The kind of pain killers they had here could probably be sold for a lot of money on the black market!
word count: 377

Appearance

• Due to an encounter with a magical tree Devin has bright violet eyes.
  • Devin has fancy black claw-like nails. The Grafter Rakvald made them from the spines that grow on the dubaebo's back and attached them to Devin's hands.

Items

Devin owns a Ring of Reversal. He's always wearing it, unless stated otherwise.

Potions

N/A
[/list]
Hookor Crook
Approved Character
Character Sheet

Milestones

Miscellaneous

It appeared the first part of the trial would not be as quiet as Hookor thought. He had only just put on his white coat, and was stocking a shelf in the back surgery with various savs, when he heard the conversation in the reception. As the half-Eidisi made his way to the door way between the back and the reception he paused to listen...

"A carriage you say?"
Millie said questioningly. She looked Devin up and down, but did not seem to impressed.

"Ya seem to be standing on it just fine."
she said, though he seemed to favor the limb, he did walk into the clinic, on both feet. Millie put a ledger in front of Devin.

"Sign in, and take a seat. I'll get the doctor's assistant to look ya over. Doc Shelby won't be in 'til later. Busy fixin' someone."
she offered. The pudgy woman waited for the man to put his name on the paper, then took it back from him. She would read the name, and then take begin walking back to the surgery. Hookor, who was watching the entire encounter unfold, stepped out, and took the ledger from her.

"Thank you Millie."
he said, loud enough for Devin to hear. Crook made sure he caught the gaze of the stranger, and once he did, pointed toward a curtained off area.

"Over here."
Hookor said. He would watch Devin's actions as he moved, assuming he did. Once the man was over to the area, where a simple bed stood next to a small side table, Hookor would ask simply, and calmly.

"So tell me what's wrong?"
word count: 278
Devin
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

“A carriage”, Devin confirmed and pretended to favor his left leg in a more obvious fashion since he had the feeling that Millie had doubts about his story, and he really, really wanted those pain killers. He even gritted his teeth in pain and rolled his eyes as if he were on the verge of a fit, for good measure. Following that, he proceeded to explain in a matter-of-fact tone, in case she didn’t know what a carriage was, “You know, a box with four wheels and two horses at the front. They were foaming at the mouth. They probably had a terrible disease and shouldn’t have been allowed on the road!”

He’d hoped to elicit some sort of reaction from her by dropping his pants, but she barely looked at the parts of his body that were suddenly exposed. In fact, she seemed to be completely unimpressed. He pouted and pulled his pants back up. “That’s because I’m a master of discipline”, he claimed as she pointed out that he seemed to be standing just fine. “Rest assured, I’m in a great deal of pain, and if you don’t get a doctor right now, I might just pass out right here, and then you’ll be in a lot of trouble because you denied me help!”

Having said that, he quickly grabbed the ledger and signed Alexander Hawthorne. It was the alias that he had used in Viden while he had investigated a couple that had resided at the same inn as him. He had suspected them of being drug dealers, and he had wanted to find out where they were hiding their drugs so that he could steal them, but they had turned out to be something much worse than drug dealers. Vega and Arlo had turned out to be cannibals, and they had appeared to be very interested in eating him! He had barely escaped with his life!

He had just taken a seat when a man approached him. He just stared at him for a moment wide-eyed. “You are blue”, he observed. Of course, he had occasionally seen blue skinned people – you couldn’t spend a ten-trial in Viden without running into Eidisi – but he had never seen one here. “Are you the doctor?” he wanted to know before he rose from his seat and proceeded to limp over to the curtained off area – very slowly.

“As I told the lady”, he began and took a seat on the bed because he doubted that a man that had been in a terrible accident and whose leg was probably broken would be able to stand for a longer amount of time. “I was nearly run over by a carriage. I fell, there was a loud sound coming from my leg, it’s turning blue now, and I’m in a lot of pain. I’m pretty sure it’s broken. I need something for the pain. Where are the pills?”
Last edited by Devin on Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total. word count: 504

Appearance

• Devin has fancy black claw-like nails. The Grafter Rakvald made them from the spines that grow on the dubaebo's back and attached them to Devin's hands.

Items

Potions

N/A
[/list]
Hookor Crook
Approved Character
Character Sheet

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Hookor looked at his hands, flipped them, then nodded with a slight snicker as Devin mentioned his skin tone.

"Like the sky."
Hookor responded. He had no shame in his color. Why should he? The half-Eidisi listened to the man's story, then took a look at the leg. It was bruised a little, but there was no way it was bruised enough to account for the accident the man had described.

"Oh my." Hookor began, his tone indicating grave concern. "We've seen a few of those...carriage injuries. So much weight in them, crush injuries...the worst." he continued. Crook shook his head.

"I'm gonna have to get Doc Shelby to come quick. Last one we saw like this, we had to..."
Hookor paused for a moment, then looked directly at Devin.

"...we had to cut off the leg."
he said, with dramatic tone and expression. He stood straight up, then looked about.

"Millie. Millie!"
he called. "Millie fetch Doctor Shelby quick. Tell him we've got a serious crush injury that might need amputation." he called. Millie acknowledged his words, and began to head out the door. Hookor turned back to Devin.

"I'll have to wait for Millie to return, before I can get you the milk of poppy. Its in the locked cabinet out back."
he said. Hookor motioned to the bed where Devin was half sitting.

"Lay down and rest now. Take the weight off entirely."
he added, as he watched the man carefully...
word count: 252
Devin
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

“My leg is definitely crushed!” Devin eagerly agreed. He couldn’t believe how gullible the blue guy was. If he played his cards right, he would probably be able to get more than just a bottle of pills from him. As he thought of all the expensive drugs that he would be able to stuff into his pockets, he nearly started to salivate like a dog that was about to get a treat and resisted the urge to greedily rub his hands together (because that would have been bound to betray him) … and then Hookor suddenly mentioned amputation, and Devin just stared at him. There was an expression of absolute terror on his face.

“Aaa … amputation?” he stammered, and his heart skipped a beat. He began to shiver even though it wasn’t that cold, and all the little hairs on the back of his arms stood on end. “What? No! I … I don’t think that’s really necessary. Look!” He pointed at his leg. “It’s still whole on the outside! Maybe it’s not really crushed! Maybe I just sprained it when I had my accident. You wouldn’t amputate a sprained leg, would you?” he asked and looked at Hookor hopefully. “There’s no need to bother Doctor Shelby! He’s probably really busy!” he said, but alas, it was too late. Millie had already headed out the door.

As Hookor told him to lay down and rest, he started to seriously fear for his life, and he expected the blue guy to pull out a syringe anytime – or just hit him over the head with a hammer and knock him unconscious so that Doctor Shelby and he would be able to cut his leg off. He had bitten off more than he could chew again, he realized. He refused to lay down of course. Instead he moved closer to the edge of the bed so that would be able to run quickly if worse came to worst. He was on the verge of having a panic attack!

“Maybe I should just leave again”, he stated and slid off the bed. He wasn’t particularly interested in the painkillers anymore. Instead, he was mostly concerned with saving his life. He could handle one man, but he doubted that he would be able to put up much of a fight if two bloodthirsty doctors and an equally bloodthirsty receptionist held him down and pulled out a bone saw. “Maybe I just need to rest for a few trials, and my leg will be fine again! I think it’s already getting better!” he claimed.
word count: 437

Appearance

Items

Potions

N/A
[/list]
Hookor Crook
Approved Character
Character Sheet

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Hookor raised his brow as the stranger mentioned leaving.

"No no, not so fast..."
Hookor looked down at the ledger, "...Mr. Hawthorne. Surely you will be needing it removed. We can fit you with a peg leg, that will keep you mobile...to a degree." Crook added. On the inside, he was chuckling to himself. The half-eidisi had not been working there for long, but even the few trials he had, the young volunteer had seen this type a number of times. Drug seekers, looking for the milk of poppy. Always with some dreamed up story that rarely matched the injuries...or the truth. Hookor stood up, and moved toward Devin. He moved his hand up, and then used it to...guide the fellow to the door.

"If you insist, then I would suggest the herb shop down at the south end of the harbor might be a place to seek relief. They have some marvelous elixirs there." he informed. Hookor stopped at the doorway, looking with his peripheral vision, Hookor kept an eye out for Millie. They had developed this routine, and had carried it out a few times now. Millie would return, claiming the doctor was still busy, but that Hookor could start without him. The drama of the act would vamp up from there.

"I hope your sprain heals well."
Crook would call once he was sure Devin was on his way. Once the crafty fellow was well gone, Hookor would grin, then return inside the clinic...
word count: 251
Devin
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

“No, no, no!“ Devin exclaimed and raised his hands in case he needed to defend himself against the bloodthirsty blue guy. His eyes were wide with fear. “I don’t want your peg leg. You keep it. I bet you would look spectacular with it. Why don’t you cut your own leg off?” he suggested because he was in panic and couldn’t think clearly anymore. Why did he always end up with the crazy ones? Why couldn’t people let him go about his criminal activities in peace at least once in his life? It wasn’t fair!

As Hookor moved towards him, Devin clenched his fists, ready to punch him right into his face should he try to touch him. His heart was beating faster and faster. In fact, it was beating so fast that he felt like he was about to have a heart attack. Maybe he would be able to knock the blue guy out if he acted quickly. He’d probably have to go into hiding for a while if he attacked a doctor in order to avoid prison, but that would be worth it. At least he would still have both legs. He braced himself, but Hookor didn’t do anything.

He simply … guided him to the door?

Devin just stared at him incredulously for a moment, and then he exclaimed, “Thanks! I’ll visit the herb shop right now!” and quickly limped out of the door, before Hookor could change his mind. Once he had made sure that he couldn't see him anymore, he began to run. This, he decided, would be his last attempt at procuring drugs. In the future he would just pretend to be a fortune teller and a naturalist and con people the old-fashioned way. He would, he decided, also avoid this terrible hospital from now on!

They were all mad in here!
word count: 317

Appearance

Items

Potions

N/A
[/list]
Zip
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Professional Scowler
Renown: 0
Character Sheet
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 6

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

@Miller

Overview

Con man bites off more than he can chew, heh. Lovely thread by the both of you. Enjoy your rewards. Loki, if you toss me the review request over in a pm, I'll be happy to do your rewards too.

XP: 15

Loot/Injuries/Overstepping

Loot: Nu
Fame: 5 (Minor)

Knowledge

Acting: Pretending that you are in pain
Acting: Pretending that you are about to pass out
Deception: Lying about the extent of your injury
Deception: Lying about the cause of your injury
Deception: Signing with a fake name
Discipline: Trying not to look too greedy
Medicine: Crush injuries often lead to amputation
Medicine: A peg leg keeps you mobile after amputation ... to a degree
Persuasion: I'm in a lot of pain, give me painkillers!

NPC: Millie Beanata: Receptionist of the Scalvoris Harbour Clinic
PC: Hookor Crook: Doctor
PC: Hookor Crook: Works at the Scalvoris Harbour Clinic
PC: Hookor Crook: Wanted to amputate my leg
PC: Hookor Crook: Bloodthirsty
@Hookor

I'll toss in your full stuff if you sent me your part of the review request

15 XP

Please make sure your review request is marked as complete and put a review stamp on it!

Your review request is: here
word count: 208
ImageImageImage
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Scalvoris Town”