• PM To Join • Captain's Quest

Adventure!!!

Seated on the shores of Lake Lovalus, Rharne serves as the home of the Lighting Knights, the Thunder Priestesses, and the Merchant's guild. This beautiful trade city is filled with a happy and contented people who rarely need an excuse to party.

Moderators: Pig Boy , Basilisk Snek

Noth
Approved Character
Race: Mixed Race
Profession: Monster
Renown: -370
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Partner
Templates
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Captain's Quest

The answer to his question was quickly denied him by Augustis who revealed that the aforementioned perpetrator was a person unknown to his knowledge. That seemed reasonable enough; a single person could not know everyone, especially at such clandestine meetings where information was scarce and true identities were rarely revealed. The situation actually became far more complex, however, when it was revealed that there were several security systems in place to deter those who would attempt to barge in on the auctions, or who attempted to bypass any exterior guardians through use of subterfuge. He had expected Augustis to simply act as a guide to the underground area, but it was quickly revealed that he was far more than that. He was the person who determined whether or not someone was safe to enter, or whether they would be shanked quietly as they entered the establishment, and he mentally congratulated himself on not disposing of the fidgeting mess earlier.

It was well and good that he learned of such measures, because they brought him to another fascinating question.
“I imagine that you’re paid a commission for bringing new buyers to this place?” That seemed reasonable enough to the hybrid, because he couldn’t imagine that Augustis regularly made himself a target of more stress and anxiety unless he was getting something out of it. The alternative was that someone he cared about was being threatened under the knife, but then, he would likely have focused more upon solving that issue, or made mention of it before now in an attempt at gaining an ally. If he was correct in his assumption that Augustis was paid, then he would continue, “It stands to reason that there are others like you, who bring in customers. You know of all these, I would imagine.” People seldom didn’t know their rivals. “Would you be so kind as to ask them quickly if they know of him.”

And if they didn’t… that was fascinating, because it meant that no criminal had brought him here, and that he had instead found his own way. He had withheld a bid up until a specific person had appeared, and then offered all he had to gain her. That spoke of desire, a desire to have that young girl half of his age be with him… a daughter perhaps? That added up, because he could only imagine the desperation of a father whose child had been kidnapped.

He approached slowly, taking a seat besides the man, and uttering softly.
“I don’t believe I’ve seen you around here.” That was obvious enough, but if the man was new as Augustis had claimed, then he wouldn’t be able to tell a newcomer from a veteran.

word count: 460

Credit to Pegasus

As a note: Noth is a Grandmaster in Intimidation. That means that he's at least as scary as the Count from Sesame Street. Beware.

"The tyrant confuses those he can't convince, corrupts those he can't confuse, and crushes those he can't corrupt." - Anonymous
Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Race: Prophet
Renown: 666
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Captain's Quest

When Noth asked Augustis about a commission, his companion gave a cheeky grin. "Nah, I do this out of the love of the job. What else is there?" He was flippant, of course, and everything about him seemed to suggest that Noth was correct. But equally, he didn't confirm or deny. Why would he give information where he didn't need to, after all. However, when Noth asked for confirmation of a different fact, he got it. "I've already checked." Whatever method he used for doing so, it was quick and very subtle, must be said. "We don't know him."

So, Noth took things into his own hands. Of course, what Augustis did in that time, also, Noth didn't know but he didn't accompany the one-winged creature to speak to the man.

As soon as Noth sat next to him and spoke, maybe even before then, there were things that the avriel would notice. The man was determined, absolutely focused, not desperate. Maybe his focus was fuelled by desperation but that was a different thing. He glanced, once, at Noth, taking in the terrifying individual speaking to him and then replied. "I'm not a regular. I'm bidding on my daughter." He didn't lower his voice when he said that, gave no surreptitious glances around the place. In essence, he had the air of someone who had whatever permission he needed to be here.

He did not give any more information, simply sat and waited. His daughter was one of the lots on the floor but was not yet on the selling block. He sat, hands crossed in his lap and immobile.Then, he glanced at Noth again. "Why?" he asked. Were it not for Noth's naturally intimidating nature, he would not have worried about that. It gave Noth an opening, certainly. The man asked him, obviously a little concerned now that he was so close to his goal. "What do you want?"
word count: 332
~~Red in hoof and claw... ~~

Family visiting. Send help!
Noth
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Partner
Templates

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Captain's Quest

The hybrid simply nodded to himself at the indication from Augustis that he was correct about his method of payment. It had seemed to be the most reasonable form of payment for someone of his caliber and job. Supplying someone with a steady paycheck meant that the most effective worker would be receiving the same amount of pay as the least, and that couldn’t help but stifle any productivity in those who were doing the job solely for the money. No, the commission per customer brought method seemed far more likely to create a competitive and efficient environment between those whose work brought new lifeblood to the underground market.

It seemed clear to him that Augustis had performed his role in its entirety, and whilst the hybrid was unsure as to whether or not he would receive payment unless the hybrid actually purchased something, he was altogether unconcerned with it. Surely they wouldn’t fault him for not buying anything throughout the evening, because that was entirely illogical. How could a person pay when they were only just now introduced to the currency of a market? How could someone expect an economy to flourish if they were constantly punishing newcomers? Violence and intimidation held their place, certainly, but they were better restrained at times.

The Avriel paid close attention to the lone man, observing him in the same way that an artist observes a painting that they find particularly suspicious, as if though he were unsure as to whether or not the man was a counterfeit. Of course, he had already come to some conclusions about him, but the determined look upon his face and his upfront answer as to his purpose neatly verified his hypothesis. It seemed strange that he would be so unworried about the implications of that, but… in reality there wasn’t much reason for him to be, the hybrid supposed. As he had reasoned earlier, violence and intimidation had their place, but if they kidnapped the man trying to purchase his daughter, then who would buy him?

In truth, the reality of slavery was one of disgust, and whilst the hybrid could absolutely understand the economic reasons behind it, that didn’t make it morally correct. If it were entirely up to him, he probably would have freed the slaves, but he recognized that even pursuing that line of thought was as much a death sentence as any legally binding one. He didn’t bother mincing words, nor even attempt to conceive a form of deception, instead, he was direct.

“That item you have there.” He gestured to ensure he knew which one. “It is similar to one which was stolen from a ship in the harbor. I was hired to return it to its owner. Tell me, is that the one I am seeking?” It was a command, one amplified by his dreadful visage.

word count: 481

Credit to Pegasus

As a note: Noth is a Grandmaster in Intimidation. That means that he's at least as scary as the Count from Sesame Street. Beware.

"The tyrant confuses those he can't convince, corrupts those he can't confuse, and crushes those he can't corrupt." - Anonymous
Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Captain's Quest

Noth was a terrifying individual, there was no doubting it. To say that he was intimidating was a gross understatement. While his focus remained on what he was doing, how he was doing it and the retrieval of the item (or not, as the case may be ~ other people watched him. He was physically unusual, psychologically awe-inspiring and as such, he was noted. Noth might not be aware of this, of course, but there were a number of people who noticed him that trial. Noticed what he did, how he did it.

But then - that was to be expected, was it not?

The man in question was nervous, afraid, there was no doubting it. But when Noth explained why he was here, what it was that he wanted, the man looked at him in defiant terror. So close, he was so close to what he needed to do and then, here, there was this creature. How could that be? It wasn't right or fair. It wasn't. All of this had been so difficult to get to and for just a moment he looked like he was going to run, bolt out of there in terror. Or, maybe, attack. The whole flight or fight response waged an internal war in the man standing in front of Noth, evident in his eyes.

And then, after a half-bit of silence, he answered. "It was stolen from me. In the raid where they took my daughter, five arcs ago. I got it back so that I can get her back." He looked at Noth then and his face was surprisingly calm. Like, he'd stopped being afraid (he hadn't, not at all) and instead he was just resigned (he was).

"You want this? After the auction, it'll be available." He seemed to be clear, he wasn't letting it go. Then, though, he looked at Noth and he spoke again. "I don't know you. You don't know me. But if you have ever loved someone, then don't stop me helping her. If I have to, I'll tear this place down stone by stone, but then," his lips lifted in an ironic expression and when he spoke it was quiet.

"For reasons I can't fathom, it would hurt her to watch me die." It wouldn't hurt him, not at all. Right at this moment, he had all of his hopes, dreams and aspirations focused on the young woman.

And again, it seemed, Noth was faced with a choice.
word count: 425

Noth
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Partner
Templates

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Captain's Quest

The twilight hybrid was always aware that there were people watching, observing, taking mental notes and quick calculations about his nature. In truth, that had occurred in some form or another since he was only a small child, being studied by his fellow children as they meandered to and fro playing their innocent and cruel games. Eventually, however, Noth had come to reconcile that portion of himself, and the intimidating demeanor that he had adopted did well to prevent any potential troublemakers from actively associating with him. That was what mattered in the end: Whether or not someone decided that the oddity was worth interfering with for some ulterior purpose or ill-perceived goal, and typically persons were logical enough to note the armor, the wicked talons that capped his toes, the subtle glances of predatory eyes that dared others to take the chance so that he might rend them to pieces, and that was enough to keep them away.

The fear and anxiety that roiled across the skin of the man before him was very nearly to the point where the hybrid began to question whether or not he might give him a heart attack should he suddenly lurch. That would be a fantastically handy talent, especially when one needed to eliminate a target without necessarily laying hands upon them, and he made a choice to look into the physiological and psychological properties that were behind a heart attack. He could see the internal dialogue boiling within his elder skull as his eyes flittered to and fro, towards him, and then off again to some distant place, or perhaps over to the girl he sought to free.

Finally, the man answered, stating that the item in question had been stolen from him in the midst of a raid. That was interesting, because the Captain did not seem like the sort to take up bloody arms for anything short of an extreme scenario. Noth had actually assumed that he was likely a smuggler, and that was the reason that he was so pointedly despised by the local law enforcement forces, though, he supposed that being an ex-raider would likely allow for some punishment by the guard.

He offered that the item would be available again at the end of the auction, and the Avriel slowly nodded in response to that, accepting that he was in little rush, and to eliminate a fellow customer in the midst of an auction, even one run by criminals was likely considered to be a terrible behavior by those who ran the show. The man attempted to further convince him by way of an emotional plea, a request that if he had ever loved someone that he would understand the position he was in, and that he would not make a move to stop the man.

The Avriel could care less about the reasons behind the raid, or its initial purpose, or the relationship between the father and his daughter; it sounded rather strained though, and instead simply began a series of risk assessments in relation to the area before finally allowing a simple phrase to cross his lips.

“Very well.”

And he sat, and waited. Eyes locked upon the item as the proceedings carried on, attempting to discern where it would go.

word count: 549

Credit to Pegasus

Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Captain's Quest

Two words exited Noth's mouth and the man breathed out. He looked at Noth with gratitude in his eyes. "Thank you, really. I owe you a debt, and I will repay it. Thank you." It seemed that he at least meant it, meant what he said in terms of pay back. What that might be, of course, was a different thing and Noth had no idea at all. But the man stood and he was calm and he waited as the auction continued.

The woman came on to the block and the man Noth was standing near tensed and then bid. It was tense for a few moments as there was another bidding on her. However, Noth had watched the proceedings and the man who was bidding against the father was bidding on quite a few women, and he grew quickly bored. The same thing happened here and by the end of it, the father and his daughter were once again reunited. The statue was forgotten, at least by him, as he hugged his daughter, but then it came time to pay and the man showed the statue, as his means of entrance and then he paid over an amount of money. Which was odd but there it was.

Then, after speaking to the auctioneer, the man handed over one of the other items and moved back to give Noth the statue. "I promised you, so I've paid for this." He looked at Noth and his daughter who he held on to, arm wrapped tight around her, whimpered at the terrifying visage of the Prince of Eternal Mercies.

"It's all right. Shh. I owe you a debt. You could have made things more difficult, you did not. Thank you." He was a shoemaker he said, without an ironic glance at Noth's feet. But then he added that he might, potentially, have contacts Noth could find useful if he ever needed help. "I have many friends. Most of them here, but all over the world. If it helps." Was all he'd say and when Augustis came forward, he shut up even about that.

"So!" his original companion said, looking at Noth's new friend suspiciously, "Are we done here? Is there anything else I can do for you?" Noth still had lots of things to find out, of course, potentially - if he wanted to. Equally, he had the statue, which was all he'd come here for. What would he do?
word count: 415

Noth
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Partner
Templates

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Captain's Quest

The twilight hybrid could not quite understand the man’s behavior, but he supposed that that was simply because he had never been in a situation quite like his own. Instead of attempting to summon any additional assistance from the locals, or even simply maneuvering himself to a public and visible place amidst the crowd where he could not readily be harmed, the man had agreed to owe the Avriel a debt, and had spoken quickly of paying it. A debt for what? Not harming someone didn’t mean that they were entitled to you, did it? It was a fascinating thought, and he quickly began to consider assorted racketeering schemes that might follow off of that basic principle, fully intent on using them when he returned to his home nation.

Eventually, the auction began to come to a close, or, at least the part that the Avriel cared about; the other items did not necessarily interest him, and even if they did, he would have no means of acquiring them. The twilight hybrid observed as the man went to speak to the auctioneer, and he visibly tensed, certain that he had gone to inform him of the disruptive intruder in his midst, but a few trills later he returned and planted the desired statue into his hand.

He went on to explain that he was a shoemaker by trade, and that the reason he had decided to pay the ‘debt’ was that Noth could have made the scenario much more difficult, but that he had instead chosen to be peaceable. It seemed far more reasonable to the hybrid that he attempt to avoid conflict wherever he could, especially when the end result was much the same was conflict would bring, but with far less cost in terms of energy and time, as well as a lessened chance of danger.

“Ah. I shall keep that in mind. I don’t suppose you know of any in Etzos?” He questioned the shoemaker a trill before the arrival of Augustis silenced the conversation. “Please, grant me a moment, and we shall continue.” He beget of the elder before taking a step away so that he could converse with Augustis. In truth, he had been considering what more could be gained from the area the instant that the statue had touched his fingertips, and finally he had come to a grandiose conclusion. Though much of his smuggling attempts had seemingly fallen short, now seemed as good a time as any, and an excellent place to remark upon his aspirations.

“Perhaps, Augustis.” He spoke, crimson eyes glaring directly into those of the excitable man. “Within the coming seasons, I may very well be shipping along some items that I will have… procured. This seems like an excellent market for such business. If you could facilitate the transfer of said items to this market, then I would be certain that you were regarded as the one who brought our business so that your commission could be… intensified.” If the man was interested, he would continue on with the details of the business arrangement, including how he would reach Augustis to inform him of the arrival of a new shipment. After that had concluded, he would return to the older man if he were still present, and renew his conversation, hoping to discover if there were any of his friends to be found in his native land where they could be most useful to him.
word count: 579

Credit to Pegasus

Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Captain's Quest

It had been a long, strange journey to get here, to this moment and it appeared that, in this moment, Noth had made the correct decisions. He'd certainly made a connection and possibly a much more useful one than might have seemed to be evident in the immediate situation. A shoemaker, yes.

Augustis, however, needed to be talked to and he raised an eyebrow at Noth's idea. For a very brief trill he seemed concerned, but then his face split into a grin and he nodded. "I'd say we're going to be very fine partners. You have a deal." The contents of that deal were details, business details which were considered small, minutiae by many. But men like Noth and Augustis knew - it was in those details that the devil lived and so the two of them had quite a bit to work out.

Once they had finished, though, the older man who purported to be a shoemaker, was keen to get his daughter home. She had, after all, been through a lot. What he did, though, was write down some details for Noth and a letter to go alongside them. A contact, he said, that he hoped Noth would find useful. He thought he would.

Then, all that was left was for Noth to finalize anything here and finally, to return (or not) the statue to the captain. It seemed that, at the end of the night, his job was done. He had made a useful contact in Augustis, although his worth would be determined in the seasons and arcs to come. The Shoemaker was more of an unknown quantity and there was his payment for the statue too. He'd also got to learn about the Rharnian underground and, as they say....

Knowledge is power.
Off Topic
Ok so phew! One last post from you with what Noth does with the statue and any other details here and then I'll review. There will be definite consequences from this both in terms of Augustis and the Shoemaker. Malt and I are in discussion! All will become clear in the review! I hope you enjoyed this thread and my apologies for the delay at two points. It was, as always, a pleasure writing with you.
word count: 379

Noth
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Partner
Templates

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Captain's Quest

Wherever Noth went, he always ran across people who had become convinced of the power of money. They treated it as if it was the most valuable thing, as if though the simple fact that it could grant them material goods meant that it somehow possessed an extraordinary power, and that it was meant to be revered above those goods themselves. Some people went so far as to effectively worship money, putting it in a position of prominence instead of the Immortals or any of the other faltering and strange religions that dominated the Idalosian landscape. They spoke of how if they only had a bit more money, how they would quickly discover happiness where it had been concealed away from them, or how they would enact their own forms of peace and prosperity were they able to find only a single golden nel that others had missed in their travels.

Noth had never been so fascinated with money. He understood it’s use, certainly, and he recognized that he would need a fair amount of it to fund and operate his assorted schemes, but money was a way to get things that he wanted, not the thing that he desired. For all of the value that could be compressed into an engraved copper or silver piece, there was far more value in other things: knowledge, information, martial prowess, conversational ability.

The Avriel had set out on his journey in attempt at discovering a statue for what now seemed to be a fairly paltry sum, though it would be enough to cover most of the costs of his trip to Rharne. Now, he would be leaving with far more. He had conversed with the old man for a brief instant, and had been supplied with a note and a letter that would serve to detail the Avriel on how he might make contact with those that the shoemaker knew. Such details would certainly prove to be far more valuable than any pathetic coin, and he carefully stored the letter away, intent on keeping it safe for future review.

Of other importance, he had managed to secure a conversation with Augustis after the ordeal had been finished, and after discussing the exact details of their business arrangement, and determining how he would send word for the delivery of supplies, had managed to convince the man to accept the agreement. He would be paid an additional commission for his support of the arrangement, and the hybrid would have a man on the inside who would be able to take his smugglers to the criminal markets without fear of needing to relocate them themselves. Of course, eventually he would need to expand beyond just the services of Augustis for the sake of having a contingency plan in the event of his untimely demise, but for now a single assistant on Rharnian soil would be quite suitable.

With far more value gained upon his venture than he had originally intended, the twilight hybrid bid the man farewell, and promptly began to return himself to the ship so that he might deliver the statue to the captain.

After all, it might not be the most valuable thing in the world, but he did still want to get paid.

word count: 543

Credit to Pegasus

Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Captain's Quest

Noth

Overview

I had so much fun writing this with you! I know there were some delays on both our parts, mine far more than yours, but it was great fun! I wanted to give you something a bit outside of the usual "do this job, retrieve that and then get paid" and I hope you enjoyed it! Just like I hope you enjoy your very well deserved loots below! If you feel I've missed anything, please please PM me.

XP: 20 (so deserved!)

Fame: -30

Loot

+150gn payment
Noth has made 3 significant contacts:

1. Augustis: Thanks to your dealings with Augustis, your calm and appropriate dealings with the auction and how well you managed things for the ship's captain, Noth has made some valuable contact in Rharne. He will be able to "move" stolen / illegal / illicit goods much easier because of this and will get an extra 10% on revenue via this route.

2. The Shoemaker's Friend: The name given to Noth by the Shoemaker is a middle-of-the-road political figure in Etzos. He will grant Noth 1 favour as a result of this letter. Obviously, he will not kill himself, etc - it must be reasonable. Maltruism has approved this - and you are required to write up this NPC. You may then, of course, continue to build up your relationship with him and he will be positively inclined towards Noth.

3. The Shoemaker: He is a shadowy figure but, should Noth contact him again, he will be VERY positively inclined to help him. He has a lot of information.

Knowledge

Business Management: Consider the goods on offer carefully
Business Management: Many types of business can exist in one place
Business Management: Supply and demand
Business Management: Items and services
Business Management: Underground slave auctions need a lot of planning
Business Management: The usefulness of secret ways in
Deception: Giving signals to imaginary companions
Detection: Listening to sounds above deck
Detection: Looking for hidden signals
Detection: Looking for individual's habits
Endurance: Stormy waters
Interrogation: Ask questions in a sharp series.
Interrogation: Be explicit, when appropriate
Interrogation: Be subtle, when appropriate
Interrogation: Decisive questioning
Investigation: Be clear of your parameters before you begin
Investigation: How to find a criminal organisation
Investigation: Consider all angles in terms of your actions.
Investigation: Observe habits to determine personality
Investigation: Approach people for information
Investigation: Question the way that an organisation works.
Tactics: Keep yourself safe
Tactics: Reveal as little as possible

NPC: Augustis
NPC: Augustis: Nefarious
word count: 423

Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Rharne”