• Closed • Plucking the Strings

Faith.

Once an isolated and dying township, an influx of academics, adventurers and thrill seekers have made Scalvoris Town their home. From scholars' tea shops to a new satellite campus for Viden Academy, this is an exciting place to visit or make your home!

Moderators: Aegis, Pegasus

• Closed • Plucking the Strings

Postby Devin » Thu May 17, 2018 1:53 am

25th of Ashan, Arc 718
On the 25th of Ashan, Devin Thorn, thief, false fortune teller and self-proclaimed member of one of the Eastern Settlement’s richest families decided to visit Cally’s. He was looking for another source of income besides swindling people. He couldn’t swindle people every trial lest the guards got wind of his activities. Cally’s seemed like the best place to start his second career due to the fact that he had met the owner and hadn’t managed to alienate her (yet). Besides, he had heard that they regularly hired.

The restaurant was a little more exclusive than the places that he usually frequented, but he didn’t care, and he didn’t particularly feel out of place either. He had more than enough confidence for ten noble lords, and he was dressed the part as well, in black pants, a black coat and a fine red shirt, with a hat with a bright red feather on his head and his beloved lute slung across his back. He walked in with a swagger in his step, sat down at an empty table and placed his lute on his lap in order to tune it while he waited for a waitress to arrive.

He did so carefully so that the strings wouldn’t break. His lute was an old lute, with eight pairs of strings rather than the six pairs that his neighbour’s lute that he had learned to play on had had, and it was a bit fickle as far as lutes went. He plucked each string and turned the peg in small increments until he got close to what he thought was the correct pitch.

He was just about to start playing a fast-paced little melody, the kind that people commonly loved to dance to, when a woman with red hair and bright blue eyes walked over to him, a menu in her hand, and said to him in a tone that that seemed quite flirtatious to him, “I’m Trudi, and I’ll be your waitress to-trial. May I take your order?”

“I’d like a mug of ale”,
he proclaimed, smirked and added, “Oh, and Faith. I’d also like Faith. Can you tell her that Devin, the lutist is here, and that he wants to inquire about a job? She knows me”, he informed her, wisely keeping the fact that they had only met once to himself. As he said that, he dropped a golden nel into her palm so that she wouldn’t forget to inform Faith of his arrival and hopefully also take her to him faster.
Devin
Approved Character

Race: Human
Profession: Thief
Renown: +30
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates
Medals: 1
Lol Worthy (1)

Plucking the Strings

Postby Faith » Sat May 19, 2018 5:51 pm

25th Ashan 718
Cally's

"Well," Trudi said as she walked into the kitchen and looked at Faith with a raised eyebrow. "I've had a lot of men order a lot of things since we opened. But not a one of them has added 'and Faith. I'd like Faith' at the end of their menu choices. Should I be warning Padraig about the handsome young man ordering Faith on a plate?" Faith looked at Trudi with a complete lack of comprehension on her face and the biqaj waitress sighed. "Faith. There's a customer who'd like to see you. His name is Devin and he'd like a job. Says you know him." Understanding and comprehension dawned on Faith's face and she shook her head at Trudi, as she considered that the woman was completely irrepressible.

"Thank you Trudi. I'll pop out and see him. I met him during the relief effort," she explained and Trudi nodded. "Course you did. All that dark and dust. Two pairs of eyes met over the rubble and Padraig just became available." Faith snorted and shook her head. "You only want him so much because he is so very unavailable, you know." Trudi smiled enigmatically and Faith left the kitchen to go and speak to Devin.

Before Trudi had gone to get Faith, she'd brought Devin his drink and so, as Faith moved out to go and speak to him, she spotted him there and she smiled. He was well presented, sitting and waiting and she moved over to speak to him. "Good trial again, Devin. It's nice to see you in better circumstances," she said with a smile. Pulling out a chair and sitting down, she asked him politely. "So, how have you been?"

Nothing if not polite. When he had answered, because really she didn't understand small talk and didn't do it particularly well, she looked at him and smiled. "So, Trudi tells me you want a job? Playing the lute? That sounds interesting and we do have an opening for a bard." Sitting back she looked at him and motioned over to where there was a chair, by the window and with a small table next to it. Pash's chair. "Would you like to play a little? Or discuss terms before you decide if you're still interested in working here?" She was calm, friendly and polite as she always was. It was strange - on the one hand she was much more relaxed than she had been in the rubble - in another way, though, she was exactly the same and her serious silver eyes watched him, to see what he would rather do.
"To be free is not merely to cast off one's chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others."
Ashan 718: Relief Effort!
Cally's Restaurant & Charity | Isonomia Faction|Luna's Dream (Orphanage)
Beacon Village~Scalvoris Soup Kitchen
Faith
Life, Death & The In-Between

Profession: Chef / Professor
Renown: +1000
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Partner
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Medals: 52
Character of the Month (1) Contributor of the Month (1) Story of the Month (1) World Developer (1)
Helper (1) Peer Reviewer (1) Artíst (1) Painting With Words (1)
Guild Master (1) Shop Keeper (1) Mentor (1) Ambassador (1)
Supporter (1) Beta Bot (1) Review Master (1) One Arc Later... (1)
Living Legend (1) Ascension (1) Hallowed (1) Pioneer (4)
Hoarder (1) ...ow. (1) First Love (1) Bow Chicka Wow Wow (1)
Right In The Feels (2) True Love (1) Married (1) Changed (1)
Starting A Family (1) Shopaholic (1) Scandalous (1) Immortal Lover (1)
Dreamer (1) Party Animal (1) Pen Pal (1) Mailman (1)

Plucking the Strings

Postby Devin » Mon May 21, 2018 9:52 am

The thief took a large gulp from his ale because he was quite thirsty, and it tasted good, and then he raised his arm in order to simply wipe his mouth with the back of his sleeve before he remembered that he was in an upscale restaurant and playing the part of a gentleman. For that reason, he took a napkin and daintily dabbed at the corners of his mouth with it as he imagined a noble lord would, grinning because he found the gesture quite amusing. It was just then that the second part of his order arrived, and he immediately sat up straighter because he really wanted to make a good impression on her.

“Hello, Faith!” he greeted her cheerfully as he tried to remember what exactly he had told her when they had last met. Unlike her, he didn’t have a perfect memory (and truth to be told, he didn’t want to have one either – because there were a few things that he really wanted to forget). “I’ve been good. Busy, but good! I helped a lot of people, and I even reunited a parrot that had escaped after the collapse with his owner”, he informed her, hoping that hearing about his partially non-existent good deeds would make her more likely to hire him – because he really wanted more money and get rich faster.

“And you?” he asked because she seemed like the kind of woman that had a lot of interesting stories to tell. “What have you been up to?”

“Anyway, Trudi’s right. I’ve come to ask you for a job”,
he said and briefly looked over to Pash’s chair before he turned to face her again. “I don’t mind playing something for you first. It wouldn’t be right if we talked about payment before you know if I’m any good”, he said because it seemed to him as if that was what she wanted to hear. “Although I’m quite good, I assure you”, he continued, smiling confidently. In truth, he was far from the best lutist, but if he played the right melodies she would never know!

“So what do you want to hear? Shall I play something fast that makes people forget their troubles for a while?” he asked and played a few more notes of the little dance melody that he had been playing when he had first come in. “Or something sad and slow in order to remember all the unfortunate people that lost their lives recently?” He moved his hands slightly and coaxed a few short, mournful notes out of his instrument.

“What happened to your old bard, by the way?” he asked as he looked up from his instrument again. “Did he die?”
Devin
Approved Character

Profession: Thief
Renown: +30
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates
Medals: 1
Lol Worthy (1)

Return to Scalvoris Town