[Isonomia] Relief Effort 6: Feeding

Once an isolated and dying township, an influx of academics, adventurers and thrill seekers have made Scalvoris Town their home. From scholars' tea shops to a new satellite campus for Viden Academy, this is an exciting place to visit or make your home!

Moderators: Aegis, Pegasus

Postby Faith » Thu May 10, 2018 9:34 pm

1st Ashan, 718

People were hungry and they were getting everything ready. Faith had called in the people, supplies and equipment from the food kitchen and that was immediately relieving the situation. They had to get these people fed, the volunteers and the survivors. Thankfully, the large pot which she had would allow that to happen, ensuring that everyone would have a good, hot stew inside them. However, in order to do that she needed to get the ingredients sorted, and so she made her way to the kitchen area. They had time for her to make bread, but she was pleased to see that she didn't need to. Joqet, from Cally's, had been busy and had made onion bread, tomato bread, individual rolls and long batons of bacon and cheese bread. When she got in there, Faith saw them working there and she smiled, emotion overwhelming her as she did. They were here, they were helping and as much as she'd known they would, it still delighted her that they were.

"This smells good," she said, walking in and getting an apron. She'd already been at work for breaks at this point, had pulled corpses and survivors out of the rubble and had made decisions she'd rather not have to make. Yet. Somehow, things were happening and so, she went to wash her hands before she cooked. "I'm going to make some croutons. Have you made them?" Faith asked her sous chef and Joqet shook her head.

"They're made with bread, but unlike the usual small ones, we're going to make large ones and bake them. We do it with already baked bread, so the bread is twice baked." Faith was moving as she spoke and, as she always was when in a kitchen, she seemed relaxed, happy and somehow like the cares and concerns she had were gone from her.

"So, lets get some bread. What we're going to do here is just pop it in the oven for a little while, so the bread is warm when we're working with it, alright?" She did that, putting four loaves in to the oven. It would only be a few bits before she took them out again, but in that time Faith got some garlic and onions ready, crushing and slicing. By the time she'd done that, she pulled the bread out and then, quickly sliced it into large cubes. "So, we're going to roast these cubes with the onion, but first I'm going to rub some garlic on them and then, once they're in the tray, just a slight drizzle of oil." She did that, then covered them with sliced onions and put them back in the oven. "Alright then," Faith said, with a smile to Joqet. "Shall we start on the soup?"

Joqet nodded, keen to see if it was correct, what she had heard. "So this pot?" Faith grinned at her and nodded. "Yes. It will feed a lot of people. Which is good. We have a lot of people here. But I still want to make sure that we're ready for more if needs be." This was, in fairness, the first time that the cooking pot was likely to get used to it's extreme, so she knew that they'd have to be prepared because Faith wasn't entirely sure what the extent of it was. She knew that it fed more than three hundred people but, other than that, she didn't have a clue, because she'd not pushed it this far. Would this give her more answers, she wondered. Maybe, was the conclusion.

594 words
Baking: Twice cooked bread
Baking: Extra large croutons
"To be free is not merely to cast off one's chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others."
Ashan 718: Relief Effort!
Cally's Restaurant & Charity | Isonomia Faction|Luna's Dream (Orphanage)
Beacon Village~Scalvoris Soup Kitchen
Faith
Life, Death & The In-Between

Race: Human
Profession: Chef / Professor
Renown: +1000
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Partner
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Medals: 52
Character of the Month (1) Contributor of the Month (1) Story of the Month (1) World Developer (1)
Helper (1) Peer Reviewer (1) Artíst (1) Painting With Words (1)
Guild Master (1) Shop Keeper (1) Mentor (1) Ambassador (1)
Supporter (1) Beta Bot (1) Review Master (1) One Arc Later... (1)
Living Legend (1) Ascension (1) Hallowed (1) Pioneer (4)
Hoarder (1) ...ow. (1) First Love (1) Bow Chicka Wow Wow (1)
Right In The Feels (2) True Love (1) Married (1) Changed (1)
Starting A Family (1) Shopaholic (1) Scandalous (1) Immortal Lover (1)
Dreamer (1) Party Animal (1) Pen Pal (1) Mailman (1)

Postby Faith » Tue May 15, 2018 2:01 pm

1st Ashan, 718
So, she set to work on the soup which the bread was going to be served with. She wanted to get as much nutrition in there as she could and so she was going to pack it with fresh vegetables, herbs and spices. The taste had to be just so and she wanted and needed to make sure that the dish was filled with goodness and packed with energy. So, Faith worked hard at the stove for the next break, chopping, slicing and crafting a deep, rich and hearty soup. Long after Trudi would have declared it "good enough" Faith continued to work until she knew that she'd reached the best she could do with the meal. In terms of content and what it would do for the people here, and in terms of taste. It would need to be both and besides, these people needed the best she could give them.

So, after the soup was made and she'd shown them what she wanted in terms of serving it, Faith did another quick circuit of the area to make sure that everything was alright. When she knew that it was, that the relief effort was going ahead the best it could, it that moment, Faith moved to spend a little time giving out food. Alissa stepped forward to speak to her. "Faith you should rest. If you have ten bits, you should rest." Faith sighed and a genuine flash of irritation hit her, though she did not show it. The fact that she felt it showed that she was tired, emotional and concerned. "Alissa, we are going to argue for as many trials as we need to for me to know I have done everything I could or you are going to stop trying to tell me what I should or should not do." Faith looked at the woman who was her bodyguard, her friend and she smiled at her, softly.

"I understand that you are concerned for me and I am grateful. But I am an adult and I am making a choice. Please, allow me to do that without arguing with me, because I'm going to do it anyway." Alissa looked at her and smiled, an apology about to exit from her mouth and Faith shook her head and put her hand on Alissa's arm. "It's fine, don't worry."

She worked for a break, serving soup and bread. Then, Skeet came in and Faith looked up. "The stuff from Ishallr's here, Faith!" Skeet said and Faith beamed. "Excellent! Thank you!" The supplies from the ice caves would be invaluable. It hadn't been her idea but the Element who was helping. Faith made her way out to the area where resources and such were brought in and she was delighted at what she saw.

There were crates of equipment. Things usually used for climbing, for holding up walls in the ice caves, masks and cold weather gear. Water flasks, small biscuits and dried beef which would keep people alive, although tasted awful. Faith could cry with delight as she saw that. There were icecrystals, which would be very helpful in the morgue and there was a lot of equipment with the specific aim of keeping people warm. Medical supplies too and Faith spent the next half a break making sure that everything was catalogued, listed and ordered.

559 words
Leadership: Standing up for yourself
Persuasion: Not arguing, just standing your ground.
"To be free is not merely to cast off one's chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others."
Faith

Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Partner
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Character of the Month (1) Contributor of the Month (1) Story of the Month (1) World Developer (1)

Postby Faith » Tue May 15, 2018 3:08 pm

1st Ashan, 718
By the time she had finished, the sun was starting to sink into the Hollow Sea once more and Faith looked at it with a strange range of emotions flooding through her. The trial had been a long one and they'd pulled a lot of people out of the rubble. She was tired, emotionally drained and more than that, she knew what was ahead of her. Of them. But yet, the dawn of this trial had seen them a lot further behind. During the trial, she'd pulled the man who was her very first owner out of the rubble and she'd forgiven him. Had it been the right thing? Faith couldn't doubt it.

She wasn't the person she'd been then. Because of others, because of her life she was different, so completely different. She had to afford him the option and possibility that he was, too. Here, in this place where many people saw simply death, Faith saw more than that. Life. Life and death and all that was in between the two, those were the Domains of the Immortals she worshipped and she would be doing them an incredible disservice if she did not allow for the idea that people in that life could change. This place, this place was death, yes there was no doubt. But it was life, too - it was people helping others, putting down selfishness and helping their fellow mortal.

There were those who had committed this atrocity, but the people who would stand and help, those who would donate time and resources and money? They outweighed it all. So, turning her back on the impending darkness and she made her way to write up her first daily report to Sidhe'nn Fraear, the Accountant.

To: Sidhe'nn Fraear. Accountant and Council Member of Scalvoris Council.

Report: 1st Ashan 718.

After the first trial of the relief effort, I am pleased to report that we have rescued a number of citizens (please see attached lists which will be updated up to the moment this leaves the area). I have received support from the Elements and the expedition in the Ice Caves of Ishallr. Support has also been given from the Docks workers and I will be requesting a specific commendation for the Harbourmaster, who has been incredibly helpful

We have secured the use of an office, warehouses and other spaces and now have a field hospital, a place for volunteers to sleep, a morgue and a kitchen. The citizens of Scalvoris have been very generous with their time and money. Donations have been made and loans have also been forthcoming. That has meant that, thus far, the spending has been less than one thousand gold nel (attached document showing most up to date expenditure).

What I now need is for a more visible council presence. I would request that you speak to the Alberach and ask that all council members take turns to come to this place for at least one half-trial each. It is vital that we are not simply providing support, but also that we are seen to. Not to do this would, I believe, be very detrimental to the perception of the Council.

I have maintained a list of those who have given of their time. We have a duty to thank the people here. Also, we need to organise the lists of the dead. I am currently unable to spare the time to do so, but I would suggest that the undertakers of Scalvoris prepare for an influx. It might be beneficial to organise this - the coffins will need to be built, the wood brought in and so on.

It is very much my hope that I see you and all our fellow council members in the next few trials. I genuinely believe that it is vital for our continued existence as a group.

I hope you are well,

Best regards

Faith.

Off Topic
Progress Tracker

658 words
Writing: Clear statement of facts.
Writing: Expressing emotions through the written word.
[/googlefont]
Faith

Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Partner
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters

Postby Aegis » Thu May 17, 2018 1:47 pm

Your Thread Review is Here!

I enjoyed this solo. It was particularly enjoyable to see Faith surprised by the assistance from the Ice Caves Expedition, as well her musing on her own growth. Self reflection is often a hard thing to write, and I found it refreshing.

Aegis
Storyteller - Rank 1
Storyteller - Rank 1

Race: Mer
Renown: 0
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Medals: 2
Contributor of the Month (1) Storyteller (1)

Return to Scalvoris Town