• Open • The Meat of the Problem

Join the meat market protest!

The capital city of the of Rynmere, here is seated the only King in Idalos.

Moderators: Basilisk, Pegasus, Plague

The Meat of the Problem

Postby Val Valencia » Tue May 08, 2018 7:15 pm

*Common*
Laying in the rain Val thought at least her face was clean and the rain smeared her tears enough to force her to wipe her eyes as she struggled to sit up. Her head spun with tiredness, nerves, and the sudden loss of adrenaline that made everything slow down quite suddenly. Keeping her hands over her face Val managed to at least keep herself still for the moment. It gave her mind a chance to catch up with all the words and sounds floating around her.

“No—no” The dancer blubbered out, “it doesn’t.”

And it didn’t. The last thing she wanted was trouble with the guards, people to remember her face for anything other than dance. The very thought nearly made her ill, memories she’d rather pretend never happened skimming the surface of her mind.

“We should leave, they won’t remember us.” Val said stupidly, uncaring of the consequences so long as she could leave, “I doubt she’ll even come back anytime soon. I mean, look at that!”

The dancer had gestured behind them at the disaster of guards and people, all melding like a terrible water painting in Vals eyes. The only good part of this is that the fire is out form where she can see, either puttered out in the rain or put out by the guards. But it seems almost worse now because she can hear the people screaming, guards shouting, clanks of steel that make her turn her head away because the dancer does not want to see the blood that will undoubtedly be spilled.

“We didn’t do anything. We don’t have to stay—I—I can’t stay.” She looks at her companion pleading her case, willing him to finish their escape from the fray. Val wouldn’t leave him after he’d done so much to help her but if she stayed she was going to pass out. All the energy from the fight, all the panic, the exhaustion left her blurry eyed, her legs shook under her but she stubbornly forced herself to her feet with a tremble of her lips. “Lets just go…please, she’ll never even see us.”

The dancer was right, it was unlikely the guard would see them unless the fray ended within the next few bits. But it was just as likely the guard would keep an eye on them to see what they would do. Those thoughts kept Val from making any true decision, trying to subconsciously pawn off any blame and decision making on the kind man helping her.
Val Valencia
Approved Character

Race: Human
Profession: Dancer
Renown: +30
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes

The Meat of the Problem

Postby Doran Cooney » Wed May 09, 2018 1:37 am

No longer engaged as they had been, Doran found he had at some point begun to shiver. The rain was wet, and though the weather had since warmed from the start of the season, a breeze had begun to blow through the streets, catching at the rain and carrying it down from the sky in angled sheets. The noise of the conflict had grown, enough that even the dampening effect of the raindrops beating steadily upon the wet earth and stone wasn't enough to conceal the shouting and screaming, the clash of metal and stamping of feet.

Close as the woman was, her weak voice carried well enough. It seemed she was passably cognizant, able to answer his questions; a good sign. While he hadn't imagined the departure of the guard would instill much confidence in the frantic, dark haired woman, Doran still found her lack of comfort a pity. She was quite clearly distraught, and any small alleviation to her anxious hysteria would have been a welcome improvement for them both. "I see." His own voice was soft and gentle, gaze breaking from the turmoil to settle on his charge.

It was clear the woman was worried about what would happen when the guard returned, and Doran shared her in her apprehension in his own way. Though he was nowhere near as frantic as his companion, he couldn't help but regard their situation with unease. The city itself had been ailing, seen clearly by the burnings and accusations and fear that had grown throughout its populace. While and she were well aware they had played no part in the turmoil that raged just beyond the heavy curtain of rain, Doran wasn't certain what the guard might decide. She hadn't seemed particularly open to debate before she'd left, and no doubt when she returned, if at all, she would be in even less a mood for it.

His focus followed at the behest of the woman's pleading words, and he nodded slowly at what she said. From where he stood, the figures were obscured by the curtain of rain between them, their bodies little more than grey shadows in the distance. Though the sounds of conflict rang out, they were deadened some by the steady beat of water upon the earth and stone of the street. She wasn't completely wrong, but Doran doubted they would be able to avoid consequences altogether if they were ever recognized. Fortunately, downpours had a way of making one appear different from what one might normally expect to see. Offering the woman a hand, he helped her to his feet, his knees bending some to help support her weight, arms and body much stronger than they seemed.

"I suppose if they really need us, they'll reach out at a later date." His words were entirely casual as he smiled over at the other woman. "I've been feeling a bit partial towards the right after all this. If you wouldn't mind?"
Doran Cooney
Approved Character

Profession: Performer
Renown: +25
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates

The Meat of the Problem

Postby Val Valencia » Tue May 15, 2018 2:32 pm

*Common*
“Lets hope they don’t.” The dancer muttered, a little more bitterly than intended then leaned into her companion, surprised at how tired she felt. Her body weighed, as if she’d run too much, the words of the riot ringing in her ears. It wasn’t possible for her to be homesick, just sick at the thought of home but she wondered if she could bare to stay in a city like this. At the very least she wanted back to the quieter hills of Venora. “Whats to the right? I can never find my way here.”

Val pulled deep breaths, telling herself to count slowly, calm her breathing till she could at least form a coherent thought process. In her near half season of being Rynmere she’d seen strange things but to-trials had been the strangest for the dancer, “Is it always like this? The people? Are they always so angry with how things are, its the same almost everywhere. Theres no point to all—“ she cut herself off with a shuddering inhale, hand flailing behind her, “that. They’ve destroyed what little they wanted, its stupid and wasteful.”

The words were slurred, as if she were drunk. Clarity bringing exhaustion and embarrassment, tinting her cheeks a muddied color of sick and redness that crept to her ears. The child in her wished to demand a piggy-back ride, so often demanded in the past, so she could sleep. The adult in her wished to no be so burdensome.

“I’m sorry you had to take care of me.” Val said quietly, reaching for her companions hand to give it a thankful squeeze and giving him a weak smile tinged with a furrow of her brows in confusion, “But thank you. I think I remember you?”

Val couldn’t be sure, it was often she met people but was often too drunk to remember them or faces that blurred in the the people she danced for until she decided it never mattered. And it didn’t matter to her now, her relief at not being alone and getting farther and farther from the chaos relaxing her enough to stop the shaking.
Val Valencia
Approved Character

Profession: Dancer
Renown: +30
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes

The Meat of the Problem

Postby Doran Cooney » Wed May 16, 2018 6:15 am

Surprised that the woman was able to stand, let alone slowly make her own way down the path Doran had suggested, he took care to walk beside her, not bothering to glance over his shoulder. If the guard were to see them leaving, it would matter little if he saw he coming or not. After all, he wouldn't leave the unsteady woman behind. It would be far too cruel.

Instead, he listened, her subdued and sickly voice muffled by the rain and requiring his full attention. Unfortunately, the woman's guess was as good as Doran's. "Our swift egress, I hope." He'd been lost in the city so many times that it was more of a state of being than a quantifiable amount to be remembered in hundreds or thousands of times. To their luck - the first of the day so far -, it was not an immediate dead end.

Gently, Doran shook his head, though his calm smile had since faced to a thin line that just half boarded on sadness. "I've never seen so many Ryn this... riotous." Tensions had seemed to rise with each passing trial; the burnings had hardly helped with the moral of the people. The food shortages, it seemed, had been the last straw for many of the people who still screamed and fought within the market. Doran let out a heavy sigh, and nodded his agreement with the woman's helpless statement. "That it is, but more so... I believe it is lamentable. They are fearful and suspicious of everyone and thing. It is... a troubling state they find themselves in."

Her apology and thanks in kind were received with a soft smile, his eyes returning from their distance to glimmer warm as he regarded her. The rain still beat down upon the narrow path they thread, the mud and water pooling in the shallow footsteps they left behind. Ahead and behind, there was nothing but the cold, grey curtain of the rainfall, little more than the heavy stone walls of the alleyway on either side of them making up any discernible surrounding. "Please, don't fret over your own state. I imagine were it not you, it would be I in your place."

He gripped her hand in reply, letting her use him to support her own weight and draw what warmth from him he could offer. "Have we met?" In their utterly soaked states, he couldn't exactly recall any women he had met who shared his dark haired companion's features, but the exchange between them, in that moment, did seem peculiarly familiar. "Well, let's find our way out of the rain, for the time being."

Player's Note: If you would like, we can end the thread there and start another one detailing them getting dry and reacquainted? If you'd rather reply, of course, please feel free to do so! I leave it up to you. :)
Doran Cooney
Approved Character

Profession: Performer
Renown: +25
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates

Previous

Return to Andaris