• PM To Join • Cultural Antics

Kayleigh starts feeling a little out of place.

The capital city of the of Rynmere, here is seated the only King in Idalos.

Moderators: Plague, Khymarah, Muse

• PM To Join • Cultural Antics

Postby Kayleigh » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:51 am

Cylus 8 718, Mid

Thank Immortals that it had ended, albeit now much of Andaris spent time shoveling snow now. The constant snow fall that hit the country seemed to diminish spirits, as the people of Rynmere had begun to speak of it being one of the worst snowy season's they've experienced. But that had to be just talk though... right? Kayleigh certainly hoped so at least, as she grew tired of the cold rather fast. She'd arrived at this little cafe type restaurant she'd just discovered, a dainty little place that some of the locals praised so highly of when they passed. When she entered and had been greeted by one of the waiters, she offered them a faint but wholesome smile upon their greeting. The guy who welcomed her asked for her coat and, while hesitant, she obliged.

He then noticed her saber at her hip after he rested the coat on a rack, a curious look shot to her as he gestured for her to follow along. Was it unusual she carried a sword here? Were women not allowed that privilege? He never seemed to ask for her to remove it however, thus she kept it attached to her belt. "Thank you?" She murmured as she accepted the seat he provided for her, a little pamphlet like menu rested on the table before her. "Wow, this is... elaborate." She quietly noted to herself after he left her to decide what to order. From the looks of it today's special was a chicken and broth, with dumplings cooked in the broth for added flavor also.

She already knew what she'd be having then.

Now for drinks... She could do with some tea with that, preferably on the sweet side in fact. "Are you ready to place your order?" Kayleigh looked from the menu to the waiter, a soft grin on her face as she held it for him to take.

"Yes actually, might I try your special? With a tea on the side, sugar included please." She tried to sound as polite as possible, and somehow that made the waiter smile. With a quick nod he moved back towards the kitchen area, and left Kayleigh at the table she'd found herself sitting alone at. Andaris was so different from... everywhere she'd been. It seemed so uptight and very traditional compared to Rharne, and so far had a more in depth religious outlook compared to Ne'haer. She'd wagered none of them had even been to yet alone heard of Uthaldria, that place something else entirely different from the rest of the world. Full of Lotharro that liked to fight and...

Hang on. Why were the women here all wearing the same colors? It wasn't really that overwhelming but she'd noticed the color scheme going on, even some of the men wore blue colored material. She noticed several Rynmeren women had their hair in braids, her hand rather self consciously wrapped in her own. She twisted and nearly knotted a couple ends thinking about how much she didn't fit in, and suddenly it dawned on her that a lot of the locals might've been giving her weird looks. Well... technically it did explain why the waiter grinned at him. She sighed and blew a puff of air at her bangs, her anxious expression replaced when the waiter brought back the tea and sugar cups. "Oh thank you!"

"You're welcome miss, your food will be out in several Bits." He remarked with a modest bow, now her cheeks couldn't help but redden a little. She hadn't any clue of Rynmere's antics at all, Rharne was so very different in terms of culture that she must've stood out. Even her speech had to carry out differently, what with the way they articulated every other word in the book! She had to be overthinking things, that had to be the issue there. Determined to alleviate that doubt in her mind, she started to shovel spoons of sugar into her tea; the cup brought up to her lips so that she might sip it's contents.
Kayleigh
"Live fiercely, love passionately."

Race: Human
Profession: Singer, Wanderer
Renown: +49
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Medals: 3
Painting With Words (1) One Arc Later... (1) Legend In Waiting (1)

Cultural Antics

Postby Velaine Krome » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:12 pm

One of the more refreshing things about Andaris was that its citizens were unlikely to identify her face. The young woman could actually walk about the streets like she was any other girl. It reminded her a bit of her time in Ne’haer – where her title as nobility didn’t really matter. Unlike at home where eyes tend to follow her wherever she went. Even though Velaine had left Krome for a few arcs, her people was slowly recognizing her as a lady of Krome, heir to the barony.

Not that she was hard to miss either. The noblewoman had just finished a meeting with a wealthy merchant, discussing trade deals concerning Krome’s business in furs. And that meant Velaine had dressed impeccably, unrestrained in showing off her status as nobility. Her dark blue dress swept across the floor as she walked, made of the finest cloth. Its long sleeves were embroidered by silver threads, simple and plain.

The servers in Elyari’s Hope did not miss that either, rushing and bowing at her entrance. A young woman came in front of her, a bright smile on her face. “My lady, what an honor that you chose to dine in our humble café.” She glanced at the silver brooch that pinned her cloak together – intricately carved into the head of a wolf. “Let me properly welcome you to Elyari’s Hope.”

With pursed lips, her ever-shifting blue eyes scanned the restaurant. Every table was clearly taken and none of them seemed like they were close to finishing their meal. “It seems like your place is already full.”

“We can get you the best seat, my lady. I’m sure the people would not mind giving their place for a lady of your status.”

She shook her head. While she knew nobles who would accept the offer happily – perhaps even demanded for such treatment, Velaine had spent enough time as a commoner in Ne’haer to not expect special treatments. “No, no. Let everyone have meal in peace. I’m sure I could find a seat somewhere.”

It was then that she spotted a young woman with dark hair and a sword strapped to her hip. Not a lot of Rynmerian woman would visibly carry around a weapon, especially to public establishments like this. After all, most of them wanted to look graceful and delicate. No doubt the woman didn’t come from around here.

As much as she didn’t mind waiting, Velaine had promised her betrothed to return as soon as possible with food. Also, her stomach was grumbling from the hunger. She would rather have a proper meal as soon as possible. With that in mind, the Krome walked past the servant and walked directly toward the brown-haired woman’s table.

Velaine cleared her throat to get the woman’s attention and gave her a warm smile. “Excuse me, may I join you?”

Perhaps to the stranger, Velaine would look no that much different from most of the woman gathered there, with her blue dress and braided hair. If she was able to choose, the Krome would have preferred to let her hair loose, but having elaborate braids were the only to keep her hair in line for formal occasions.

“I do not mean to disturb you, but you seem like the only one sitting alone and a better choice than him.” At last word, Velaine grinned and gestured at an old man with a pot belly on another table, sitting alone and sipping on his coffee while eyeing the female servants greedily.
Velaine Krome
freedom becomes her.

Race: Mixed Race
Renown: +85
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Medals: 1
First Kiss (1)

Cultural Antics

Postby Kayleigh » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:19 pm

Kayleigh more or less just watched the people in the restaurant a little anxiously, unsure as to how out of place she must've really appeared there. She certainly felt unusual in comparison to many of the women there, given she'd taken to self consciously braid the ends of her hair. They were poorly made braids too, probably resulted tangles and knots in spots of her hair while she waited. Then someone cleared her throat as she approached her table, with the request to share her table as well since all others were occupied.

"Oh, sure!" She encouraged with a soft smile cast to the woman, a hand gestured to one of the empty chairs there. She was a pretty woman in her own exquisite blue dress, her hair also in a braid like many of he women found within the establishment. What was with the braids? It had to be a fashion statement around here apparently. Something Kayleigh wasn't fully keen on as she welcomed the company all the same. The stranger seemed fairly nice after all, since she could've very well just have requested Kayleigh to leave or find another table. When the lady remarked at her being the better choice in company, Kayleigh followed her gestured look towards the other indicated option available.

A better choice indeed. Kayleigh turned back to face her acquaintance once more and stifled a chuckle, her lips upturned into a genuine smile as she relaxed a little more. "It's good to know I'm more pleasant company." She complimented though still tried to avoid giggling about it. "Certainly he isn't all bad though, maybe just a little rough at the edges." The tease was led on with another glance over her shoulder to the sap, as she watched him eye another waitress walking by. It was too much then, she had to stifle another short laugh. "It's a pleasure to have company in all seriousness," She finally remarked to the lady, "you're in better spirits here I promise."

Kay then held a warm smile to the lady as she folded her fingers together, unsure what sort of etiquette was required in addressing a lady of Andaris. "My name's Kayleigh miss, I'm honored to be your table companion on this chilly Trial." She thought about waving down a waiter for the woman, since she might likely want to order something as well. "I'd already ordered the special for the Trial, if you'd like the same thing or?..." She trailed off a little quietly, curious whether or not this lady wanted something in particular or just warm beverages.
Kayleigh
"Live fiercely, love passionately."

Race: Human
Profession: Singer, Wanderer
Renown: +49
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Medals: 3
Painting With Words (1) One Arc Later... (1) Legend In Waiting (1)

Return to Andaris