Helping Hands - slender blue ones (Volunteering)

Vounteering witht the Order of the Adunih

27th of Ashan 718

Once an isolated and dying township, an influx of academics, adventurers and thrill seekers have made Scalvoris Town their home. From scholars' tea shops to a new satellite campus for Viden Academy, this is an exciting place to visit or make your home!

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Hookor Crook
Approved Character
Race: Mixed Race
Profession: Student
Renown: 65
Character Sheet
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Milestones

Miscellaneous

27th Trial in the Season of Ashan - Arc 718

One, two, three, four.

Hookor stood by the entrance of the clinic, and counted the coat hooks that sat together adjacent to the front door. Professor Faith, as he knew her, had suggested he would introduce him to someone in the Order of the Adunih, and so he was here to be introduced, and hopefully, to begin helping out at the local clinic.

So he was here. So he was here.

One, two, three, four...

Still four hooks. All empty now, but it was early in the morning. Hookor looked down at his feet. He noticed, at that moment, how long his feet were. Compared to the feet of humans. He looked at his hands. Long and slender. Fingers all long and slender. Surgeon's hands, his father had said many times, usually in jest. Horace Crook, Hookor's father, was a simple man. Not of simple mind or wit, no he was adept in those regards, for sure. It was part of his charm. No, simple of need. Simple of intent. A simple approach to life. That was Horace.

Hookor was not his father.

Hookor was obsessed with all things medicine. Surgery, palliation, healing, medicinals, all of it. It was all knowledge that he craved. Volunteering as well, was a chance to gain knowledge. That was why he was here. Hookor did enjoy helping people, immensely, but that was not his driving catalyst. No, it was the desire to know things, all things, that drove the half breed.

A gift from his Eidisi mother, Sophora. Crook had little recollection of her, as she had abandoned him in his infancy. Too much shame to keep and raise him. That fell to Horace, who did a fine job. However, though never having direct input into who he was, the Eidisi woman had provided her legacy as a historian and academic...passed it down to her bastard son.

Hookor looked about. It was quiet. He heard some 'tinkling' of glassware out in the back room, located passed the chairs and stools of the waiting room where he now stood.

Stood waiting...
word count: 358
Rynata
Approved Character
Race: Biqaj
Profession: Merchant
Renown: 210
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Whoever was in charge of packing crates needed to be more considerate of those who would have to haul them around later. This particular piece of baggage had been giving her progressively more trouble the further she walked from her ship. Rynata was leaned backwards so that all the weight wouldn't fall directly on her arms but the edges of the wood still dug into them uncomfortably. What was more, she couldn't see very well in front because of the box. She was forced to twist around every few moments just to makes sure she wasn't headed for some ditch. Hopefully, any oncoming traffic would have the sense to move out of the way. Someone outside of her peripheral vision laughed and shouted.

"Lift with your knees!"

Giving a grimace of a grin, Rynata hoisted up the heavy delivery and glanced down at the crude map and address she had pinned onto it. Order of the Adunih, Scalvoris Town Clinic. Supplies for the clinic, she guessed was what the crate was. There was the tell tale tangy scent of herbs wafting from the box and she could also hear the light clink of glass whenever she shifted. A good reason for her not to drop the cargo, and a good reason why she needed to hurry to her destination. Any longer and her fingers would decide to take a break. She should be there soon, though. Turn over there at the main street and she shouldn't miss it. Ah, that must be it. A smart building with a welcoming sign and the hint of a garden peaking out from behind it.

Arriving at the front entrance, Rynata hesitated a little, realizing that her elbow wouldn't do the job of turning the knob. She could set the box down, but she had a feeling she wouldn't be able to haul it from the ground again. Besides her back might give out somewhere in between. Balancing on one foot, she used her knee to prop up the crate. With the extra weight, it was hard to lose her center once she had it, but any shift would spell a disaster. Leaving one hand to steady the box, Rynata quickly reached out and turned the knob, nudging the door open. Stumbling inside, she made a beeline for the nearest counter surface, finally ridding herself of the dead weight.

Hands propped against her knees, Rynata gave herself a brief moment to puff before pushing off and going to close the door which had been left swung open. Shaking out her numb hands, she shut the door, but as she did so, she spotted that she was not alone. A rather spindly man was also occupying the waiting room. His most notable feature was powder blue skin, rather striking against the rest of their surroundings.

"Oh, hello!" she raised a hand in greeting and smiled a little sheepishly, embarrassed to have been caught in a less than graceful moment. She could feel some color in her cheeks but it was hard to tell if it was a genuine blush or from exercise. "Sorry, I didn't see you there. Do you know where this goes?" she said indicating the crate. "Can I leave it here? If you could sign this," she trailed off, going to retrieve a slip of paper from her vest pocket.
word count: 565
Hookor Crook
Approved Character
Character Sheet

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Oh my. Hookor put on his best smile, which wasn't much, and shook his head.

"I'm sorry I do not."
He said as he looked down at the young woman. Pointed ears, sun tanned skin, off handed demeanor. This girl was Biqaj. Hookor had met a few back in Rynmere, and had read on their culture while he lived there. A race one could perhaps best describe as...rowdy. No, perhaps boisterous was a better word.

"I'm actually waiting for someone, myself."
Hookor added, as he looked down at the crate. What was in it, he wondered.

One, two, three, four.

Four planks on bottom.

One, two, three, four, five, six.

Six planks nailed across the bottom four to make the palate. Nervous once more, the half Eidisi reverted to that which helped calm him...counting. At least that was how Hookor felt. His father, Horace Crook, said it was just part of the young man's obsessive personality. Be that as it might, counting did seem to allow Hookor to recenter. He looked back down at Rynata. She was blushing a little.

Good, I am not the only one a little uneasy
, he thought. This relieved him even a little more. The tinkling of the glass could be heard once again, and surely now both of them heard it.

"I think someone might be in the back room."
Hookor offered, as his gaze moved from the Biqaj woman, to the doorway at the other end of the room.
word count: 252
Faith Augustin Champion
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Fanatical Philanthropist
Renown: 2250
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

It was early in the morning and it was already turning into one of those trials. Faith had been here on an overnight shift, which always meant that she missed the children but it was the time that they slept the most, so she liked the fact that it allowed her to spend all trial with them. However, they had been inordinately busy last night and someone, someone had just not packed the store room up correctly. She was meeting Hookor and, if she was any judge of character he would be precise and on time, but they were expecting a delivery any minute and that had to take precedence, because the contents were very delicate. She was moving the boxes which contained some of the glassware, and Faith was getting more and more irritated with herself for being so short. It made doing things like this so much more difficult, but there it was. She couldn't stretch herself taller after all. Or, maybe, she thought but then shook her head and decided that there were much better uses of her time than working out how to elongate herself so that she could reach the shelves.

So, looking a little disheveled, Faith came in to the waiting room from the back room through the door in question. She was wearing a gold, hooded cloak with a trim on it, which revealed her as ready to go up to the next level, a white cloak. The Order of the Adunih denoted the seniority of its members by their cloaks and whether they had hoods or trims. Faith, the short human woman with pale skin and jet black hair, smiled and her pale silver eyes looked genuinely pleased to see the people there. "Hookor. It's nice to see you again," she said, and then she turned to the woman who was delivering. "Thank you so much, I really appreciate you bringing those. I don't suppose one or both of you would consider helping?"

The contents of the crate, Faith explained, were experimental new ingredients for the Raft. "It's a type of bandage," she explained. Although either of them with any medical knowledge or knowledge of her might know about it. "I'm trying to make it more efficient and have greater infection fighting capabilities. Also, it currently... yes, sorry. Here?"

She had cleared out the space for the crate and she smiled at Rynata and offered to help carry the crate between them. "I'm Faith, by the way. Nice to meet you," she said with a genuine smile.
word count: 431
This PC is dead. See this thread for details.
Rynata
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

“Oh, my mistake,” she replied pleasantly to the man’s admission and dropped her hand with the notice to her side. She supposed she could wait. After all, she didn’t have anymore pressing deliveries that needed her attention. More importantly perhaps, she’d earned herself a little break before getting back to business. As the stranger pointed out, however, there indeed were some signs of activity in the back room and before Rynata could make up her mind to go looking for someone, a figure stepped into the room.

The woman who walked in wore an elaborate cloak and a welcoming smile. She seemed overworked, though she must have somehow managed to keep her good humor intact. Rynata ran across many people during her day, but few could boast of that feat. The woman turned to address the stranger as “Hookor”, before thanking Rynata for the delivery.

“It was my pleasure,” she beamed back. Though the journey here was something she’d rather not repeat, it was truly nice to be appreciated. Most people assumed she would not simply make off with their precious supplies. Which she could if she wanted. Theoretically, of course.

“I wouldn’t mind helping,” Rynata volunteered herself before really thinking about it. Oh, well. She had always been weak to those gently worded requests. "What did you need?"

As the woman elaborated on "the Raft", Rynata saw a makeshift raft drift by in her mind's eye, bobbing along merrily on the current. She let it complete its short voyage before sweeping it out of her thoughts. It must be her seafaring roots. Clearly, the woman was a healer who was busy devising new methods of treatment.

"That's a rather impressive sounding invention," she said to the healer as she accepted help in moving the box. "Are you in charge of this clinic?" Gently setting down the crate, she straightened up and shot both Faith and Hookor a smile. "Rynata!" she introduced, indicating herself with a hand to the chest. "At your service."
word count: 340
Hookor Crook
Approved Character
Character Sheet

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Hookor nodded as Faith recognized him.

"Of course, professor."
he began. He was about to ask about the member of the Order she was going to introduce him to, when Crook noticed Faith's outfit. Are those vestments of the Order she is wearing? he questioned silently. Was his professor actually a member herself? Odd. Hookor began to open his mouth to speak, when the delivery woman began to converse with his mentor.

Patience Hookor, the young student cautioned himself. Hookor waited for a lull in the conversation, and then spoke up.

"The Raft, I am unfortunately not familiar with."
he said with mixed humility and self annoyance. He should have known it. It did, however, sound familiar in its purpose.

"In Norr Bay, I remember the local healer using something similar in function. I think she called it a...Popti...a Polness...No that's not it."
he stopped talking to avoid more stammering. What was that called? he wondered as he struggled to find the term.

"Sorry professor, the name escapes me, but it was a similar bandage used to draw out infection. I believe she said some of the elders used to put bread inside it in order to help aid in the drawing out of the infection. I am unsure if it helped."
he said with a soft smile. Hookor then waited patiently for this new woman, Rynata she called herself, to clue up, before pressing about meeting the Order member...if it was not Faith herself that he was to meet about volunteering.
word count: 258
Faith Augustin Champion
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

"It's a technique we use in cooking," Faith explained with a smile. "To make a very clear broth, you put a 'raft' over the top, it protects and covers the broth and draws out all the impurities. I had the notion from that but my husband is a chemist and alchemist, so he mostly made it a reality." In charge of the clinic? She shook her head. "No, far from it. Galena is the one in charge here, she's the resident white cloak. It's nice to meet you, Rynata. Thanks so much for helping." She absolutely meant it - many people would have just said that they were too busy, too harassed, too this, too that.

To Hookor, though, Faith smiled and asked, with a slightly raised eyebrow, "Poultice? If so, that performs half the function of the raft, yes. A poultice is used for exactly that, drawing out infection. However," Faith was, or had become, a teacher and she couldn't leave it at half an answer. "A poultice would be held in place by bandages, yes? The issue with bandages are that they stop you from seeing the wound, so changes can happen unnoticed, and they are a breeding ground for infection themselves. They do not protect against moisture or dirt. The raft is transparent, waterproof and can be used instead of stitches in wounds which would only require a few. Plus, it acts like a poultice." She grinned and then as though realising what she was doing, which she was, Faith looked a little shamefaced. "My apologies. I am very proud of it. Still, self praise is not a recommendation."

Faith turned to Rynata then and smiled. "There's some paperwork you need filling in, I imagine?" If there was one thing that Faith knew almost everything entailed, it was paperwork. "Hookor, I'll take you through and introduce you to everyone. I've told Galena about you and she's happy for you to join if you want to - so I'll give you the tour and we can take it from there?"
Off Topic
Hey guys, fancy helping out in a multi-casualty, we're short staffed, put pressure THERE! kind of medical emergency? Thought it might be fun but up to you!
word count: 379
Hookor Crook
Approved Character
Character Sheet

Milestones

Miscellaneous

"Remarkable." Hookor said in response to the information about this 'raft'. The young half Eidisi was amazed at the details of his professor's invention, and felt inspired.

"I could only hope that with your teaching and guidance, I could one day create something as useful." he added. Most might think his words, and his approach, the equivalent of 'sucking up', but that was not the case here. Hookor, always a sponge for knowledge, and constantly pushing himself to improve, looked at what Faith had created, as a challenge to himself.

"The poultice is changed regularly, never left on as a healing agent, but purely to draw out infection." he stated. He thought on it for a moment, before adding, "Indeed, one of its disadvantages is that if left on to long, it will dry, and hence remove any healing tissue that has formed when it is taken off." he finished. Hookor tried not to interrupt while Faith and Rynata spoke. When they were done, and Faith's attention could be taken once more, the blue skinned student spoke once more.

"I am ready when you are."
he said, waiting as patiently as he could, for his professor and mentor to take him on a tour, and to meet Galena.
Off Topic
I would love to, but Hookor met Faith for the first time in a thread stamped 20th Trial of Ashan, which is 10 Trials after the end of the volunteering in the thread for volunteering by the docks, if that is the thread you are referring to.
word count: 258
Rynata
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Rynata listened curiously to Faith's description of the raft. One thing was abundantly clear. In one of the most crucial aspects of medicine, which was fighting infections, the raft seemed to have combined all the beneficial traits of other forms of treatment. It was a lifesaving creation helped along by people of multiple talents and disciplines. She glanced at Hookor and smiled a bit. His earnest reaction to Faith's detailed explanations showed that he was an eager student. Perhaps overeager, but then again, it was better to have future healers passionate about their work.

"Well, I'm all for humility," Rynata said kindly, slightly amused at the other woman's modest claims, "but I'm sure none of your patients would mind if you chose to lecture them on the technique that just saved their life." After all, she certainly wouldn't. Rynata had little knowledge of medicine outside the treatment of mundane scrapes and bruises, so it was interesting to gain a little insight.

As Faith reminded her, Rynata held up the thin slip of paper. "Oh, yes, of course," she said. "If you could just sign here to confirm a safe delivery." Turning to Hookor in the meantime, she asked conversationally, "Are you training under the clinic?"

Off Topic
Yes, I'm all for the emergency. Let the chaos begin!
word count: 223
Faith Augustin Champion
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

When Hookor spoke about creating something as useful, Faith shook her head. "I hope you create something better by a tenfold or more. At least." Looking around she grinned and shrugged slightly. "Maybe, one trial, there'll be no more doctors because there is no more illness. Maybe." That was her job, as far as she saw it. Hers and every medic worth their salt - to take steps towards a trial where there was no disease, where everything was curable. Could it ever happen? Faith didn't know but in the same way that she didn't know if the world could be free of slavery and poverty by the time her children grew, she knew that if people didn't try, then it would never happen.

Sometimes, she thought, she even sounded like a madwoman to herself. But it was how it was and that was that.

Taking the parchment, Faith bent her head down to it and got signing where she needed to. She heard the two of them conversing and she handed the parchment, all signed and correct, back to Rynata and she spoke. "Thank you, both, truly. So, a tour of the facilities, Hookor?" With a glance at Rynata, Faith made the offer, of course. "You are more than welcome to join us, if you'd like." Either way, the first stop on the tour was the main reception and that was the way that Rynata would take to leave if she chose to.

As they walked down towards it, though, suddenly the doors at the end of the corridor burst open and people literally piled through. Holding each other up, some carrying others, Faith's eyes widened. "We have a situation!" She called and she immediately, instinctively, moved forward. As she did that, her eyes were gazing at the people coming in. "What's happened?" There were burn victims. Many, most of them had burns.

There'd been a fire, one of them confirmed. At one of the warehouses and there were a lot of injured. Faith glanced around and knew that there weren't enough people. Not enough staff. Alright, well, they'd have to do their best. "Hookor, take six of these people into that ward. Moderate burns, the kits are in the middle drawers. I'll be right there. Rynata, would you be prepared to help with carrying people, please? If so, help Hookor?" Faith then scooped up someone who was about to fall over in shock, she thought, as the reality started to seep in. "I'll be right there, if you can manage on your own for a moment."

By Moseke, please let them be able to manage.
Off Topic
There you go - you two have six injured folks, equipment and just you. Enjoy! :) Faith'll join them in a moment!
word count: 470
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Scalvoris Town”