• Solo • There and Back Again

Rynata’s job thread

Almund is a thriving township with a dark side. With houses made from the wooden bodies of decommissioned ships, there are many opportunities here, coupled with many dangers.

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Rynata
Approved Character
Race: Biqaj
Profession: Merchant
Renown: 210
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

There and Back Again

Arc 718, 4th of Cylus

The lantern at the prow of The Gilded Siren cast a golden glow that illuminated the otherwise dark waters. Its radius of light shifted ever so slightly with each rock of the ship as Rynata carefully steered the craft through the icy sea. She had been contracted to deliver a shipment to the island of Faldrass. No doubt they survived well enough on their own, but they still seemed to want for some items as the crates on the ship suggested. However, navigating the waters in these conditions was difficult enough and the young sailor hoped the nels would be well worth it. As it was, the ship had to move at a snail’s pace to avoid collision or entrapment in the maze of ice. Rynata was pretty sure that other fishing ships had broken through the ice before her, but with the ever shifting waves, it was hard to determine the best path to take.

"Ah, bogs..." she muttered to herself, as an oncoming chunk of ice glinted in the lantern light.

With limited manuvering space, the piece of ice was too large to dodge but seemed movable enough. Not wanting to risk damage to her beloved ship, Rynata jumped down from her pace maintaining the sails and ran along the deck, grabing a plank of wood along the way. Bracing her foot against the gunwale, she held onto one end of the plank while letting the other snag onto a notch in the ice. As the ship slid by, she put her weight behind the makeshift pole and gave a good shove, sending the obstacle slowly spiraling off to the side. Checking the limited horizon to get an idea of the course, she hurried back to the sails.

Glancing over to the map weighed down by her compass, she verified the ship's direction. Satisfied with the course, Rynata reached out to tug on the riggings, hauling the sails in more tightly. With constant adjustments such as these, the ship finally came into view of a landmass that must be Faldrass. It loomed darker than the murky sky and blocked off the horizon. Small pinpricks of light suggested that the island was quite lively even in this bad weather. Brighter lights closer to the shore line had to be the port, guiding any ships out at sea safely back to land. As The Gilded Siren neared the volcanic island, ice became less and less of a problem. Floating pieces steadily became smaller and smaller until there were only snowflakes being swallowed up by the seawater. This allowed her to make full use of the sails. Finally, she could let them fill up with more wind. Gliding across the remaining distance, captain and ship finally made it to port.

Securing the ship at the dock, Rynata stepped ashore to find the waiting merchants responsible for the cargo from this point on. However, seeing as there were no likely people moving about outside, she supposed she would have to consult someone managing the place. Some casting about revealed a building that must serve as the dock house. It was a well maintained structure situated in an optimum location for overseeing the harbour. Fishing out the supply notice from the inner pocket of her vest, she pushed open the building's front door into a warmly lit office.

As she entered, the man sitting next to the fireplace hurriedly removed his legs from where it had been kicked up onto the desk. No doubt the season ensured there would be little reason to expect much traffic. Gruffly clearing his throat, the man greeted his new guest in a polite but slightly ruffled manner.

"Yes, yes. How can I help you?"

Rynata walked over to the table and slid the harbour master the notice. "I'm here to deliver these. Would you happen to know if there's anyone expecting me?"

Grabbing the paper, the man held it up to his eyes, squinting. A look of recognition quickly crossed his face and he pointed to another door leading further into the building.

"Ah. They're waiting over in that room there," he said, pointing at a door leading further into the building. He turned to squint at Rynata in favor of the notice, and she couldn't help but feel a measure of acusation behind them. "They said you were running late."

"Better late than never!" she chirruped back, plucking the notice out of his hands and hurrying over to the back room to meet up with her clients.
word count: 763
Rynata
Approved Character
Race: Biqaj
Profession: Merchant
Renown: 210
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

There and Back Again

Thankfully, the next few minutes yielded minimum grumbling from the merchants. Most of them were just pleased to get their wares. Accompanying them to The Gilded Siren, Rynata helped oversee the unloading of the cargo and confirmed the delivery to all contracts. Now with a lighter ship, she was ready to head back to Almund. However, she could see the figure of the harbour master approaching the ship with another figure trailing behind him.

"Heading back to Almund? Got a passenger for you," he said nodding at a young woman clutching tightly at her coat.

"Alright. Welcome aboard, Miss," Rynata said, smiling encouragingly at the woman and extending a hand toward her so that she could safely make it across the gangplank.

With her passenger safely middeck, Rynata allowed the wind to carry them away from the port and back across the dark channel. Keeping a careful eye on her companion lest she somehow fall overboard, it came to her attention that the woman continued to clutch at her coat and was simply milling about in the pool of light on deck. Anyone could see that she was uncomfortable from the way she shifted about nervously.

Concerned, Rynata spoke up even as she continued to guide the ship. "You can go down inside if you like," she said, indicating below deck. "There's no warm fire but there won't be any wind."

The ride would only get more treacherous as they sailed further away from Faldrass and it would be ideal if the only person steering the ship wasn't preoccupied rescuing ducklings. Besides, as captain of the ship, it was a matter of pride that everyone on board be well looked after.

In response, the woman looked grateful and uttered thanks. "Oh, of course. Yes. Thank you."

She made it as far as the hatch before redoubling her look of anxiety and backing away from the entrance. "On s-second thought, I'll stay up here, if that's alright."

Confused, Rynata craned her neck and peered at the darkened hatch from her position. Well, she personally thought she kept her quarters clean and tidy. She certainly couldn't imagine anything horrific down there. Unless.

"Does the dark bother you?" she asked, tilting her head at the young woman.

Her answer was an extremely sheepish look that spoke volumes.

"Ah, tricksy fates. I knew I should have bought some more candles. In any case, you can stay up here. I'll get us to Almund soon enough."

Nodding jerkily, the woman plodded back to her original place afore of the mast.

Once Rynata confirmed a course that would hold for some time, she ducked below deck to grab a chair, hauling it back the steps and onto the deck for her passenger.

"It's kind of a bad season for travel isn't it? Is anyone expecting you on the island proper?" Rynata made conversation as she offered the seat. Partly curiosity and partly to drive away the dark.

The woman grimaced and nodded in agreement. "Ugh, Cylus is such a terrible time of year. Especially for me. But yes, my family lives in Almund. I was supposed to be back before the year even ended. But work ran on forever, and well, I think you can imagine."

"What's Faldrass like?" Rynata piped up from the stern as she maneuvered around that blasted piece of ice. She could almost swear it was the same one that had given her trouble before.

"It's beautiful that's for certain. But that dreadful volcano. The not knowing when it may become dangerous always made me anxious. I was there for working at the resort but I had the chance to tour the island and if you ever go, you must visit Serenity Garden. It has the most amazing view."

"Serenity Garden? Sounds serene," Rynata chuckled to herself. “But a resort sounds nice. Someone’s going to have to unfreeze me in a spa after this season’s over.” It really was too cold, and with the ice, it was no fun sailing either.

Faldrass is famous for its hot springs, you know,” the woman continued. Going on to explain the different qualities of the different springs and what services one could hope to get at each of them. Must be force of habit, Rynata thought. As an employee, these facts were probably burned into everyone’s minds. Perhaps this return home would be a well deserved break for the woman.

"Well, if I had the money, I might consider hibernating there. Anyway, here we are!

The Gilded Siren rocked past the worst of the ice and neared the docks of Almund. Moving rapidly to ensure a safe arrival, Rynata dropped anchor at one of the more well maintained piers. She passed the gangplank from the ship once more and helped the woman down from the deck.

Thank you!” she said as she passed Rynata the fare and hurried over to a group that must have been waiting close by. She gave a final quick wave as they departed, leaving the captain to secure the sails and check over the ship.
1592 words
word count: 863
Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Race: Prophet
Renown: 666
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread

There and Back Again

Rynata

Overview

I really enjoyed this thread and getting to know Rynata a little bit. She seems like a really fun pc and I am very much looking forward to seeing more of her! I loved the chipper, cheeky "Better late than never!" she gave to the harbormaster. Nicely done! PM me if I missed anything

XP: 10

Renown:10 (2 x 5: getting a job, being seen around and getting the job done)

Loot

None.

Knowledge

Navigation: Navigating icy waters
Seafaring: Setting a cautious pace
Seafaring: Hauling in the sails
Strength: Putting weight behind an exerted force
Etiquette: Showing concern for someone's comfort
Detection: Recognizing unease

Non-Skill Knowledge:
word count: 117
~~Red in hoof and claw... ~~