• Closed • You're The One That I Want (Virikai)

Stronghold of education and learning, this fortress is in one of the coldest areas of Idalos and home to many knowledge seekers in a variety of disciplines. However, unknown to most, below the city are those who suffer for the sake of science. While all are welcome, not everyone will be treated as they expect.

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Maebella
Race: Eídisi
Renown: 54
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

You're The One That I Want (Virikai)

85 Zi'da 717
Time and time again, Virkai had sought her out, obviously keeping tabs on her. Time and time again, he'd been the one to initiate contact between them, a fact that the medical student had pointed out. He'd used it as proof that she didn't put in any real effort herself when it came to social interaction. Not to mention that he saw it as proof that people were willing to seek her out, evidence for her own self-esteem that her company was worth something to others. Well, she'd decided that she'd do a little proving too, namely that she'd find him for a change and let him see that she was just as willing to go to effort as he.

It wasn't an idle whim though. The young woman intended to extract certain information from him. Over the course of a single season, fool that she was, she'd placed her trust in him, her feelings and opened herself up to pain again. More than that, she'd allowed deeper feelings access to her, giving them the chance to put down roots and began to set in. Yanking it out now would be agonising but it would be nowhere near as bad as if she left it and then had her heart broken later down the line. Either way, if there was going to be pain, it was better to get it out of the way sooner rather than later. Especially as she'd been unable to think of anything aside from the Talius scion since he'd kissed her on the Aranaz Estate, how his mouth had felt on hers, how his touch had tingled on her skin for quite some time afterwards. It wasn't something that could be readily dismissed from her memory and so she'd come seeking answers.

Maebella hadn't simply wandered into the Viridian Wing with the object of coming across the young man by chance but had researched his schedule. It wasn't the only research that she'd done. In fact, she'd taken the liberty of finding out his birthtrial too, finally affixing an accurate value to their age difference. He would turn 31 on the 16th day of Cylus. In truth, there was little between them in arcs but the number was a significant one. The next season in a little over 30 trials away, he would be a man while the female Eídisi would remain a girl. Worse, he would truly come into his own as the Talius heir and thus, she couldn't see how she would fit into his life then. The young woman had no desire to be used and tossed aside again; her heart was no play thing.

When the medical students filed out of class, the scholar had to stop herself from chewing on her fingernails, fearing that in spite of her double checking and triple checking that she'd somehow gotten it wrong. Perhaps Virikai wouldn't be here and it wouldn't be his last class of the trial as she'd thought and she would be left standing in the corridor like a fool with curious eyes upon her. She had those looks all the same, an unfamiliar face hovering close at hand in an attitude of evident expectation; the way her gaze darted back and forth over the students could leave them in little doubt that she sought someone specific.

As soon as her white orbs spotted the tall Eídisi, she sighed with relief, feeling something within her loosen and relax, even as some other part tightened in nervous anticipation. The young woman suddenly felt as if she lacked the mettle to do this but straightening her spine, she forced herself to take first one step towards him and then another, seating a soft smile on her features as she approached the aristocrat.

"Good trial, Lord Virikai. Imagine finding you here," she commented, bobbing a shallow curtsy, lightly spreading out the charcoal-grey skirt that she'd purchased solely for his benefit; the scholar had never been keen on either dresses or skirts but she'd made some effort for him. "I decided that I would come to you for a change. I wanted to talk to you actually, if you have the free time, of course."
Credit to Rose Greenwood
Last edited by Maebella on Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total. word count: 736
Virikai Talius
Approved Character
Profession: Researcher/Student
Renown: 154
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

You’re The One That I Want (Virikai)

The lecture had not bee unexciting, but Virikai also could not say that he had been enthralled by it. In truth, he had learnt nothing particularly new, as such. It only seemed to reaffirm what he already knew from the projects he was carrying out while working in the Facility of Retrospective Analysis. It was nice to reaffirm the other work, of course, but it was also a waste of time. “Do you have any ideas about how you want to divvy this up, then?” One of the students pushed past another to walk beside Virikai, dragging another along with him.

They had been given a group assignment, because teamwork was so important to the medical profession. It was the wrath of Virikai’s existence, but he could not get out of it. “I’m thinking if Kai does the prep on looking into the medical symptoms, Joel, you look into patient care, and I could make a start on potential treatments?” Virikai nodded silently as they exited through the large double doors of the room. “Great, we have the next two breaks through - we could probably crack most of it now.

But Virikai was no longer listening, as his gaze fell upon a familiar face. Standing outside the lecture theatre, with her chin raised, Maebella looked like a woman on a mission. Dressed in a modest skirt, it was clear she had tried to make some effort with her appearance. The lordling held back a smile. She had a long way to go, but he was pleased with the effort.

Miss Arval,” he greeted quietly, reaching for her hand and raising it to his lips, where he placed a gentle kiss atop it. She continued, and Virikai ignored his watching teammates. Oh, she wanted to talk. If that wouldn’t spur the rumour mill further. “Yes, I can spare a break,” his expression was unreadable as he turned to the two students by his side, “I will meet you in the Atheneum later.

Understanding the dismissal for what it was, the two students nodded and left silently. Grateful for their discretion, Virikai watched them for a few moments as he hitched his back up further onto his shoulder and smiled politely at the younger woman. “May we talk over lunch?” Virikai rarely stayed in the Academy for lunch. He did not go home, either, instead, closing to waste his vast fortune on dining in Viden’s finest eateries.

Maebella had commented on his extravagance in the past, but this was no longer about impressing a young lady. Virikai had a routine and he was going to stick to it, even if people were going to turn up unannounced and infringe on his personal time without warning. But also, he liked the idea of taking Bella to eat the finest food Viden had to offer. If nothing else, he was keen to educate the girl on the aspects of life that it was worth spending money on… and food was one such delight.
The Ice Prince-
[/style2]
word count: 507
Maebella
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

The young woman could do nothing to prevent the blushing glow that came to her features as the scion greeted her, her skin taking on new hues of pleasure as she stood before him. It didn't matter that he had companions or that their gazes were curious as they watched the pair, she was just incredibly glad to be in his presence. The idea that he would refuse her hadn't occurred to her previously although now the possibility appeared briefly in her mind as she waited to see if he'd consent to speak with her in private. A break is enough, perhaps not as long as she would have liked, but certainly enough. The scholar could make use of that and so she smiled, gladly agreeing with a nod of her head.

Her hand reached up, the Eídisi brushing hair from her face to tuck it back behind her ears as she watched him, drinking the sight of him, committing his features to memory. Even if nothing else worked out, she could have this moment of perfection in her head, something that she could keep even if she ended up in a sea of pain.

"Of course. I wouldn't want you to be deprived. I know how busy you are after all and I wouldn't want to disrupt your schedule," she explained. She indicated that he should go first, intending to fall into step beside him as they went on their way. She was sure that he had a place in mind as well so she could only follow in his footsteps, dependant on him to guide her.

"Those young men... I assume that you have some manner of assignment to complete with them? As I've said, I don't want to disrupt things for you if I can help it. If you really can spare a break of your time then I'm grateful to you but if you have somewhere else to be then it can wait," Maebella explained, her tone exceptionally polite. The young woman was already ready to distance herself, to wrap herself away from him and shield herself a little from the pain that she felt must surely be coming. It seemed a slim chance that Virikai would truly wish to keep her but she wouldn't get her hopes up only to have them dashed. If that slim chance turned out to be the case then it would be easy to unravel that protection, to fully open herself to him but for now, she needed that distance.

She shot a furtive glance his way, taking a deep breath in order to calm herself. If she just focused on her breathing for a bit then she could use it to enter a light meditative state. She needed to be in control of herself, full control. Furthermore, she needed to come at this correctly rather than annoying the medical student. He appeared to get irritable with these sorts of questions and she wanted him to answer, not end up in a foul mood. She wasn't sure if she should come right out and say it now though, or wait. No doubt, he'd realise that she was on a mission and had some purpose. Perhaps he'd bring it up first but then again, perhaps not. Either way, the young woman wasn't going to rely on him to broach the subject. She could do this - she was certain.
Credit to Rose Greenwood
word count: 585
Virikai Talius
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Thank you,” he replied softly, smiling as he offered his arm to the woman - as always - and, once accepted, would guide Maebella towards the exit of the Academy proper. They would remain in the Fortress, moving slightly towards the Obsidian Prism, where all of Virikai’s favourite eateries were. “I know of a small place, with exquisite food. It’s quiet, too. I always prefer somewhere like this to the bustle of the White Fox Inn.

It would probably take them longer than a break - places like this restaurant did not like to rush their patrons when eating, but he did not tell Maebella that, knowing she would likely over-think it to assume it was her fault to keep him so long from his work. The students he was working with would not be upset if he did it show up anyway; Virikai had an exemplary record for completing work. He was known to be reliable and if the work wasn’t done today, it would be completed before he ey with them next. And he was right to hold back his thoughts. The scion released a frustrated sigh.

Stopping, he turned and directed Maebella’s chin upwards with slender fingers. It was such a familiar action between the pair now, the girl would not be unaware as to what was coming next. “That’s enough, Bella.” Virikai interrupted quietly. His gaze was not unkind, but he was unreservedly done with the other’s poor attitude towards her own worth. What was worse: had already agreed to go with her, and to listen to her second-guess his decision and try to backtrack on her request was infuriating. It was as if she did not respect his astounding capability to make decisions about his own life.

I have agreed to spend time with you right now. Is that not enough for you, or are you incapable of taking my words at face value?” Virikai shook his his head, though his eyes, impassive as ever, never left Maebella’s. “Is it that you refuse to trust me? Or are you rethinking your wanting to talk to me about something?

He released his hold, not only on the woman’s chin, but on her arm as well, removing all contact. He allowed disappointment to spread across his features. Why would Maebella never learn? What did she expect from him? Did she want him to turn her away, thus revalidating her belief that she was unworthy of attention from him (or anyone)? “I have told you many times how abhorrent I find this incessant behaviour of yours. It is not cute, it is not endearing. This has crossed well beyond the line of modesty and into the territory of revilement. Decide now: do you want to have lunch with me, or are you going to insist that you are beneath my time?” His tone suggested that he was talking about more than just lunch.
The Ice Prince-
[/style2]
word count: 496
Maebella
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

She should have known that her attempt at proper etiquette would end in disaster; it seemed inevitable. When he halted and reached for her chin, she gazed at him with a mixture of bewilderment and despair. What had she done wrong now? He was going to chastise her although she couldn't imagine why, her white gaze growing mournful as she imagined herself going done in his estimation of her. She bit her lip to stop it from trembling, looking to him expectantly.

As soon as it began, she shrank from him a little, moisture collecting in her eyes to give them a surface sheen. Maebella had meant well, truly she had, but once more, she'd managed to fuck up. Trying to explain it seemed like a losing battle, something that was more likely to worsen the situation than improve it. Not to mention of course that she felt certain that if she tried to speak her voice would crack around the lump that had formed in her throat. She was afraid to attempt swallowing around it, sure that he'd feel the action of her throat and realise the full depths of her emotion. The Eídisi had tried to construct walls to protect herself but it had failed miserably. They hadn't even approached the crux of the matter yet and she was ready to go to pieces before him.

He released her and her failure felt absolute. It was such a powerful sign of rejection that the young woman was left ready to break in two. It also made it all too clear that no matter how she'd tried to delude herself, no matter how she'd tried to sugarcoat it, her feelings for the Talius heir were potent and inescapable. Logically, it didn't make sense, it was too brief a time, too short an acquaintanceship and yet she couldn't deny the depth of her affections for him. Deny it all she liked, the damage had already been done so it didn't matter if he broke her heart now or later because the result would be the same. Still, she felt ready to walk into the Tundra for his sake, simply because he wished it. Maebella didn't know how or why she'd allowed it to happen but there was no avoiding it now.

She closed her eyes as he continued berating her, carefully controlling her breathing as she listened to it, felt it, allowed the uniformity of it to go some of the way towards stilling the turmoil within her. She inhaled. One Eídisi, two Eídisi, she counted silently before releasing the air slowly and repeating it. Her shoulders rose and fell as her lungs filled and emptied, and as she felt the calm seep through her, she focused on the feeling of the ground beneath her feet and its solidity. She tried to draw strength from the surface beneath her.

His question had her gaze snapping back to his, an intense conviction in her eyes that he wouldn't have seen before. He didn't sound like he was just asking about lunch but she didn't know what more he was enquiring about. However, regardless of the exact meaning of his question, the answer would be the same. Surprising herself, she closed distance between them and did something that seemed strangely taboo. The young man always took it for granted that he could touch her but there was something almost... wrong about touching him in a similar manner. Regardless, she stretched a hand up to cradle the side of his jaw, her own head cocked slightly to the side as she tried to burn her gaze into his.

"Yes, I want to," she breathed, letting fingertips trail as she drew her hand away. "I want you, Kai."

There it was out, it had been said and what was more, she must have broken a series of spoken and unspoken rules: touching him, calling him Kai, saying what she had. Either she'd destroyed everything or...

She stood frozen, poised expectantly, unsure whether she awaited a blow, a kiss or something else.
Credit to Rose Greenwood
word count: 699
Virikai Talius
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

A myriad of emotions flickered across Maebella’s expression, though her eyes. Too many. They were all too fast and too fleeting for Virikai, sociopath that he was, to truly discern any of them. Instead of trying to understand, he silently waited, watching for them to pass and for his companion to regain control over herself. It would not do to continue conversation with someone hysterical, after all. And then she said it. Four words that explained everything.

It was not what Virikai has been expecting, if he was honest with himself. He could not have determined the subject matter at all, but whatever it was, he had not considered this eventuality. Drawing on the strong reserves of discipline he had learnt as a child, Virikai managed to maintain his expression of neutrality as he processed the girl’s words. He barely even reacted to her gentle touch.

He was exceedingly glad that no one was around now to see this gratuitous display of emotion; it was definitely something he had never experienced before. The rules of etiquette and courtship were what upheld the upper classes. Even though Maebella was partially of the blood herself, she had clearly never been provided an education on this type of thing. Immortals, he half expected her to break away to search for peanut shells next.

Let’s go to lunch.” Was all he said in response. It wasn’t an outright rejection, and he offered her his arm once more to indicate it before continuing on to the restaurant. Where did he go from here? His father would have an aneurysm if he knew Virikai was even entertaining the idea of courting Maebella formally.

The Old Jubilee was the restaurant in question. From the entrance way, it looked like nothing special, but inside it had a unique charm. Not extravagant like other eateries in the area, the owners had decided to spend more money on the employees and food than decor, and it paid off. It was expensive, but worth every nel, in Virikai’s eyes, serving food specifically from cities from all over the Western Region of Idalos. “Two, if you would be so kind.

The waitress led them over to a quiet table in the corner of the room, knowing of Virikai’s preference - not that it mattered, as all the tables had a considerable distance between them, allowing all patrons their privacy. The Talius heir selected a wine for the table without bothering to look at the menu: a light white, somewhat sweet but dry enough, remembering Maebella’s preference for the sort. “Have you ever sampled Western Idalosian foods before?” He asked as they were left with meal cards, from which they could select an array of meals.

When the waitress left them to make their choices, Virikai finally addressed Maebella’s earlier admission of desire. “Bella…” the name lingered on his tongue, as if testing it out in this new context. For all his experience with women, he had never accommodated the idea of romantic involvement. “What do you want from me?
The Ice Prince-
[/style2]
word count: 518
Maebella
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

It had been a mistake to say it, she knew that. In four simple words, she'd exposed herself, left herself utterly vulnerable and yet she didn't regret it. She was sick of dancing around the point, too frightened to say anything near the subject for fear that he'd simply brush it aside. When he'd bought her a dress, she'd tried to broach the subject and been brushed off. She'd had enough and she wasn't going to continue hanging on his arm indefinitely while he played with her feelings. Maebella needed him to face the fact that she had a heart and that it was unbelievably cruel to have him toss it wantonly about. Of course, he wasn't aware of her history, of her previous heartbreak and she wasn't sure that she would tell him, even though it explained why she was more sensitive than she might have been if this was her first encounter with such matters.

His silence didn't necessarily tell her a great deal, nor did his rather impassive expression. She felt that she'd surprised him though, either with her directness or the sentiment that she'd revealed. Perhaps he'd honestly had no idea that she felt for him. Perhaps that was an indication that he didn't return the feeling. She went back to grounding herself, seeking to push those thoughts aside, knowing that "overthinking," as the scion called it, wasn't doing her any favours. As she took his arm once more, she focused on each step, developing an awareness of every little move she had to make in order to move forward, using that repetitive motion of walking to calm her mind a little. It certainly wasn't something that she excelled at but the scholar felt that she was improving in inducing these meditative states, slowly but surely.

He led her to a restaurant with which she was unfamiliar, the young woman pursing her lips together slightly as they crossed the threshold and took in the decor. Another expensive place, another extravagance but she wasn't going to argue with him about spending ridiculous amounts of money on her; it would be frustrating and pointless. He'd told her that sooner or later, he got exactly what he wanted and thus, she knew better than to try to resist his will at this point.

They were seated, the Eídisi woman taking care that her skirt didn't ruffle up in some unfortunate manner as she sat down, brushing the material down lightly as she settled herself. She busied herself with taking in her surroundings although she didn't really see them, her mind already anticipating the conversation that had to come. She was already pondering what she would say, how she would articulate herself as her companion chose wine and they were left to choose their meal. She'd never before had food from Western Idalos and so the menu presented her with something of a conundrum, brows pulling together in deep lines.

"I haven't, no. I'm not sure I know where to begin," she responded softly as her eyes skimmed the unfamiliar dishes and their ingredients. However, when he spoke again, she knew by his tone that they weren't going to be talking about food any longer and so with a deep breath, she set the card down carefully and raised her gaze to his face. She smiled at him, the expression sad rather than a display of joy as she searched his face.

"What I want from you is something that you probably can't give me, Virikai. You're an adult next season, I know that your parents will expect you t-to take steps t-to... secure a wife. I know those marriages are more political than anything else. I know that you need to court appropriate women, I know that, I really do," she explained, somehow managing to keep her voice level despite the twisting sensation that was occurring around her heart. "You've treated me with nothing but the utmost respect and I appreciate that. I did worry that you wanted me for a specific purpose and to be honest, I probably could have made more sense of that. I don't know what you want from me, Virikai, and I haven't all season. I don't know what you've been trying to do with me. Maybe you've only seen me as some sort of project, I honestly haven't a clue but I can't do this. You aren't going to court me, you can't because I'm not suitable and I won't be anything less respectable." Not again, she added silently.

Her gaze dropped temporarily, eyelids fluttering closed as she tried to stop herself from crying. She swallowed audibly, biting down on her lip so hard that she actually tasted blood as a minute stream trickled into her mouth. Her hands had dropped to her lap and she clutched the material of the skirt tightly in her hands as she pronounced words that hurt her through every syllable that she uttered.

"I told myself that I wouldn't allow any sort of sentiment to develop and I can't simply wish it away but if you could just tell me that you don't want me, that you've no romantic interest in me then it'll be easier for me and less unnecessarily painful for me in the long run," she explained softly. "And then afterwards, it would be kinder to me if you didn't... if you didn't see me again."
Credit to Rose Greenwood
word count: 954
Virikai Talius
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Was this what it was like to have someone pour her heart out to him? To not only have the emotional capacity to feel these things, but also to have the choice to even entertain these ideas? Virikai was… well he wouldn’t go as far as to admit that he felt jealousy for the other, but he began to wonder what it would be like to indulge in doing something he wanted to do for once.

And why not?

He couldn’t say that he shared Maebella’s sentiments. There was no feeling so deep that it hurt him like it seemed to be causing Maebella pain, as he guessed from the tone of her voice. But he could not deny that he enjoyed her company… even after only knowing her for some eighty trials. He would even say he was looking forward to next seeing her as soon as they parted ways. For him, that was enough for him to want to humour her. It would be more than adequate to know that he was responsible for every blush and smile Maebella couldn’t control… for the rest of her life.

And Maebella Arval, granddaughter of the Lord Voren, was not a poor match, no matter what Maebella thought. Virikai was an elitist, there was no denying that… but it had nothing to do with blood. He would sooner free and marry a slave than a noble girl if he believed the it would have most successful outcome. Admittedly, Virikai also felt a small thrill at the idea of how much it would anger his father.

Are you telling me what I can and cannot do?” Virikai asked in a low voice as his eyebrow lifted. It was meant as chastisement, but something about his smile indicated that he was finding the situation amusing. He said no more as the waitress returned, pouring wine for the pair and placing the bottle on the table. She asked if they were ready to order and the young scion, who had not even looked at the menu, spoke to order for the pair, not even considering if Maebella had found something she liked the look of. “A small plate of everything, thank you.” If he was going to do this, he wasn’t going to do it by half. He wanted to give his Bella the opportunity to sample all, so that next time she would be better informed to make a decision.

If the waitress thought this was a strange request, she did not show it, merely nodding and turning away. When alone again, Virikai continued, “What I would like from you, Maebella, is to come to me when you need help.” It wasn’t quite what she meant when she asked what he wanted from her, and he didn’t expect her to understand why he said what he said. Virikai knew how hard a request that would be for Maebella to obey, for she was not naturally prone to accepting that someone might take personal interest in her wellbeing… and even less likely to accept her own weaknesses.

But if she were to concede this on a subconscious level… some day far in the future no doubt… Virikai would know he had her, mind, body and soul.

The way she hunched over, now refusing to meet his unwavering gaze, it was like she felt naked. And not the I’m-about-to-get-some-action naked. The rip-out-your-heart-and-piss-on-your-soul kind.

Ordinarily, Virikai would not ask it of her. But if Maebella was going to give the elephant such power that it became corporeal and pushed him into a corner, he would need to take control again. “I am pleased that you feel comfortable enough to be so honest with me. It must be difficult to extend this live of trust.” His tone was surprisingly soft, even to him… especially considering that his words could not be sincere when he could not empathise on this level. But he was confident that his voice would not give that away.

He sipped the wine, examining the girl who seemed so small, so innocent, so vulnerable. “I would be honoured to introduce you to the world as the Lady you deserve to be.
The Ice Prince-
[/style2]
word count: 722
Maebella
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

His first words had her wincing. She'd never tell the scion what to do, of course she wouldn't but she could see how it might have sounded, how it could have been interpreted. Obviously, he was a person who could make his own decisions but he had certain constraints placed upon him. She highly doubted that he wanted to give up the sort of life that he was living and that meant that they couldn't be... an item. Society as a whole might be all right with it but she didn't think that his father would be. The son of a Delegate courting or even, Yvithia forbid, marrying some common girl with a weak claim to aristocratic blood... She couldn't imagine that that would be particularly pleasing to Verity Talius.

"I'm not telling you anything, Virikai. I'm simply highlighting that due to certain constraints..." she trailed off, afraid that she'd say more than she meant to do. The Eídisi had already allowed her emotions far too much reign and she had no idea how they'd burst from her and twisted so far out of her control. Food was hardly on her list of concerns right now and the sight of the wine did nothing to soothe her nervous stomach. At this rate, she wouldn't be able to touch a bite and the notion of disappointing her companion was painful, although she tried to tell herself that she couldn't allow those things to bother her anymore. She couldn't allow her emotions to be so affected by his own.

His response to what he wanted from her seemed quizzical, eliciting a frown from the young woman but also a small measure of hope that she tried to quash rapidly. If he said that then it sounded as if he cared, at least enough, but not necessarily in a romantic way, she told herself. Maebella knew that she couldn't be his friend, knew that it wasn't an arrangement that she could survive and so it was no use if he wanted her to come to him - as a friend. Her gaze dropped again, her mind returning to the turmoil it had previously been in. He hadn't said anything to contradict what she'd said so it was fair to say that he wasn't interested in her like that. The scholar had expected as much but that did nothing to quell the waves of hurt that were rippling through her, his implicit rejection beginning to work on her.

The more he spoke, the more he seemed to confirm it and she gave a bitter laugh at his mention of trust. She'd made the mistake of trusting someone else like this before and it had also turned very sour indeed. At least this time, the damage wasn't quite as extensive, or so she hoped. It was difficult to tell because the way she felt about Virikai was quite different to how she'd ever felt about Caius. There was a different texture to the feeling and it seemed to run deeper and with greater potency. Perhaps things hadn't progressed physically but emotionally...

She picked up her glass, idly swilling the alcohol around as she peered into it, watching the yellowish liquid slosh back and forth as she tried to ignore the aching sensation around her heart. It nearly slipped from her grasp at his next words, the Eídisi barely catching it before its contents spilled out. A drop or two had managed to escape over the rim but she set it down, blotting at the moisture as she tried to process his words. Her pulse had skyrocketed, so rapid that it seemed ready to burst her arteries. She could hear it roaring in her ears, so hard it left her feeling off-balance. Maebella eyed him uncertainly, tentative hope on her face.

"Are you saying... are you saying that you want... that you will... court me?" she breathed, her tongue feeling ungainly as she struggled to shape the words, especially 'court', which was highly unfamiliar to her. Her face warmed, a feeling of faintness growing within her. Her heart was beating too fast, she was too hot, her stomach felt like it might be about to take flight. She leaned a hand against the side of her face, cool fingers on her temples as she tried to calm herself. She grappled for the meditation knowledge that she held, trying to restore some equilibrium to her overwhelmed system. If he was entertaining the idea of courting her then he could be entertaining the idea of more than that. That wasn't a possibility that she could even consider just yet.

One step at a time, Mae, she told herself, forcing herself to focus on the here and now. Focus on the air that filtered in and out of her, forcing herself to fill her lungs rather than panting. She could be calm. She was calm. She wasn't going to faint or something at the table.
Credit to Rose Greenwood
word count: 855
Virikai Talius
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

There were two ways blood could rush to Maebella’s cheeks, causing her cerulean skin to flush purple. The first was beautiful, the colour of shame when it overwhelmed her. The second was even more lovely, and something Virikai was glad to see across her cheeks. It was a blush of embarrassed pleasure, as if she couldn’t quite accept the situation. It was worth it for that reason alone. “No, Miss Arval.” Some courtships ended, ignoring the very definition of the word. If they did this, Maebella and he would have to be on the same page. “I am asking for your hand.

Silence fell. It was obvious to the aristocrat that his companion was struggling with pulling herself together, and he allowed her time to compose herself. Virikai was not one to fill silences with needless words anyway, and there seemed to be nothing left to say. They had come to a verbal agreement, and if it were a business or political arrangement, he would shake hands with his partner and politely bit him a good trial.

Somehow, that did not feel like an appropriate option in this situation.

The first of the small plates arrived, with two additional, empty plates. Using a serving spoon, Virikai reached over to place a selection of each onto Maebella’s plate before filling his own with the leftovers. The used plates would be removed and replaced with new delicacies, he expected. He took a few bites, and would explain the dishes to Maebella if she asked about them. Some would be familiar, others would hopefully be completely novel to her.

You are surprised that this conversation has gone your way,” he continued when he saw that Maebella had calmed down enough. “You barely dared hope… in fact you did not even hope. You approached me to address your feelings and came dangerously close to daring me to end this acquaintanceship. You walked into this expecting a negative result, once again refusing to indulge me, not allowing the chance to prove you wrong. I do not pretend to be an expert in relationships of a more intimate nature, but I know enough to expect loyalty and trust from the person who comes to me professing feelings beyond mere friendship. To not be questioned or tainted with an unfounded opinion based on very little data.

Virikai still had yet to smile properly, though his gaze could still be described as warm, as he addressed his concerns. If Maebella wanted fluffy and light-hearted, she already knew that she had come to the wrong place. She had at least already accepted him for who he was, but was that really enough for her? Had she really thought this through? Because Virikai knew that Maebella Arval was not the type of person to enter into marriage for the sake of personal betterment. This was about love. “Why is that? How far do I have to go before you no longer doubt me?
The Ice Prince-
[/style2]
word count: 501
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “City of Viden”