The Fortune Teller

A quick adventure for 2 pcs.

65th of Zi'da 717

Once an isolated and dying township, an influx of academics, adventurers and thrill seekers have made Scalvoris Town their home. From scholars' tea shops to a new satellite campus for Viden Academy, this is an exciting place to visit or make your home!

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Ronan
Approved Character
Race: Ithecal
Profession: Elements Troop/Gladiator
Renown: 22
Character Sheet
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Milestones

Miscellaneous

The Fortune Teller

She seemed to shift constantly between two people. One was the weird woman who saw without seeing, who drew cards and knew what was on them before either of them had turned it around, who seemed to know more about him than even he did. The other was just a girl who liked to play, who didn't seem to understand what was going on. Ronan watched her talk about playing around, smiling at him. He looked down at his card again and when he looked up she seemed to have matured again, telling him to keep the card as if it had always been his. He watched her, confusion on his face, as she explained what it was for but then stuck the card in his pocket. He had no idea what sort of game she was playing but, while confusing, it seemed fun enough.

Then he chose flame and he watched her set up a candle and he could smell something from it but the more the tried to focus on what it was the further away it got from him. His attention was pulled away from the smell as the fire was lite and the blind woman started to stare into the flickering flame. How it flickered there and remained alight when the cold Zi'da winds were cutting right through the streets of Scalvoris was a mystery to him. The confusion returned to his face when she spoke next. What had he lost? But she seemed to feel for his loss despite him not knowing what it was. More games then?

Her demeanor changed and she suddenly seemed to be distressed as she talked about cold and blood. His eyes widened in surprise as she mentioned the blood not stopping. How could she know? But then she continued and the blood wasn't him. Some woman, in whatever this blind lady saw, was bleeding and it wouldn't stop. It had nothing to do with him and his blood. She seemed to get very agitated at that, almost shouting at him that he needed to save whoever she saw in this flame of hers. Ronan quickly turned his head left and right to see if other people were watching how he'd upset this woman somehow. When he turned back, her hand almost slapped him as she tried to feel for him. Her eyes were normal, or at least, not washed over milky white anymore. Without thinking about it he softly grabbed her hand as he spoke. "I'm here, yes."

He felt her shiver in his hand, watched her as the little girl she was, lost and blind and obviously freezing. "Your mama? I err... Yeah, I can take you there." He began to stand up, the card still in his pocket, the candle still burning between them. "What about your things?" He waved at the cards and the candle, realizing that she couldn't see him do that. Or could she? "Your cards are still on the ground as is your candle..." It felt odd, having to explain to someone what was so obviously right in front of him. "Here, before you freeze to death." He took off his cloak and tossed it around the girl, wrapping her up in it. Giving his stature compared to the girl, it was multiple sizes too big for her, dragging behind her if she were to wear it. He quickly bent down and doused the candle with his fingers, simply squishing the flickering flame between thumb and index finger.
► Show Spoiler
word count: 611
Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Race: Prophet
Renown: 666
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread

The Fortune Teller

Arlo
The mother seemed to be remarkably unconcerned, Arlo was correct, about her blind daughter wandering around. It might be a scam, it might be real, who knew, but when he asked about the dice, Joelle beamed a smile at him and picked up a bag from the stall. It contained the strange shaped, beautiful and intricately carved dice, just like he'd seen her cast.

"a single nel, for you." Joelle said, although her mother's face darkened she didn't argue. And once the transaction was done, Arlo was free to carry on with his trial.
Off Topic
All done for you!
Ronan
She delivered her prophecy and then, as Ronan had observed, the girl changed into a young girl, shivering with cold and a little afraid of what was happening. Was she two people or one? It was impossible to tell, but his hand seemed to calm her. She turned her head to him as she listened to him ask her about her things and she shook her head. "Things? I .. I don't know what you mean. How did I get here?" As he wrapped his cloak around her, she was trembling from head to toe and she seemed more than a little disconcerted and afraid.

"Please, sir, I don't remember any cards or such," she said with a thoughtful expression on her face, "and I'm not allowed near candles, because I might burn myself and not know. Where are we?" She stumbled over his cloak and held on to him to stop herself falling over. "My mama is in the green warehouse on the docks, sir. She'll be worried frantic." There were, indeed, her things and there was her tripping over his cloak. What would Ronan do in terms of the girl? He had a number of options.
Off Topic
No worries! I'm glad you were victorious!! What Ronan does here will determine the final post of the thread. Glad to see you posting again!
[/align]
word count: 333
~~Red in hoof and claw... ~~

Family visiting. Send help!
Ronan
Approved Character
Race: Ithecal
Profession: Elements Troop/Gladiator
Renown: 22
Character Sheet

Milestones

Miscellaneous

The Fortune Teller

How odd. Ronan thought to himself. Was she playing with him? Was this all some act to get him to do something or go somewhere? The card was forgotten in his pocket as he got up from having squished the candle. Whether she was two people or not was a question far beyond Ronan's capabilities. So he allowed himself to look at things logically. Leaving things behind meant they would get stolen. "I'll quickly grab the things and then we'll go to this warehouse, alright?" He'd already bent to pick them up before she could answer. He put the rest of the cards in his pocket and grabbed the, now doused, candle in one hand.

"I'll take you to the docks. Just... here. Hold my hand." He grabbed her hand with his free one and started walking, candle in one hand, the girl in the other. They'd gone for two bits and he'd already gotten worried about her. She was freezing, walking around in his oversized cloak and unable to see, or could she, what was happening around her. He constantly had to slow himself down, his large, powerful strides too much for the little girl. He suddenly stopped and turned to her, which she probably couldn't see. "Here, hold this candle." He pushed it into her hand, giving her the choice to take it or drop it before simply picking her up from the ground, bridal style. Little effort was required from the gladiator to complete the action and, unless she was lying about the blindness, there would be little she could do to stop it.

"Let me just carry you there before your toes freeze of or something. I doubt your mother would like that." With the girl in his arms, Ronan was off, powerful strides held back by nothing more than his haste. They reached the docks quickly, spurred on by Ronan's worry for the little girl. If she was indeed two people in one then her parents would be able to handle her better than he could. He drew quite a few curious eyes while carrying the girl but he ignored them all, an easy feet for someone so used to having eyes on them. "Well, these are the docks. Where is this green warehouse of yours?" Ronan looked around while waiting for her answer. If she could direct him, he'd follow her directions, otherwise he'd simply wander around with the girl in his arms until he got lucky.
word count: 424
Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread

The Fortune Teller

[/googlefont][/align]
Ronan
She really did seem to be a totally different person in one way and Ronan had spotted it about her. But right now, she was a scared little girl who quite obviously could not see anything around her at all. She nestled into him when he lifted her up and she spoke in a soft voice, still showing her fear. "Thank you, you've very kind." He asked where it was and she gave him directions, but they were strange. If he thought about it, they were the kind of directions given by someone who had no sight. She spoke in terms of direction and distance, how they went forward until they came to a place where the curb was taller than anywhere else, that sort of thing.

But, the directions were all ones that were clear and he could follow them. And when he did, indeed, they came to a warehouse which was painted a faded, peeling green colour. There was quite a kerfuffle outside there, with people milling around and what seemed to be a search party being organised. However, as Ronan appeared around a corner, a tall biqaj woman with dark hair caught sight of him and, obviously, his cargo. "Joelle! Where have you been!? I've been going out of my mind!" She scooped the girl out of Ronan's arms and Joelle threw her arms around her.

After a few moments, the woman turned to Ronan. "Sir, I can't thank you enough. I've been so worried. I don't.. I don't know how to thank you. But thank you!" She moved forward and kissed him on the cheek, tears pouring down hers. "If there's anything that we can do, you have our gratitude. You'll.. we.. oh, thank you!"

And it seemed that Ronan had most certainly made a friend this trial.
Off Topic
Review Incoming Next!
[/align]
word count: 319

Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread

The Fortune Teller

The Review
Arlo

Overview

Hope you had fun with this! It was nice to see Arlo not completely buying into it, wondering where the angle was etc. You played him very true to form here and I enjoyed the inner dialogue enormously, thinking about what he believed, how he might be being taken as a mark etc. His thoughts on the card, too, were very cleverly written. Great stuff - great fun. Thanks for taking part!

XP: 15
Fame: +10 for taking part, +10 for your kindness. = +20

Loot

+1 Tarot Card: The Fool. This card remains with you. Like, you leave it at home? It's in your pocket. You go on holiday? It's right there beside you on the beach. You can't lose it. Even if you try. Weird! Oh, also - it never creases - it's always pristine.
+1 Set of Dice: A set of dice, different number of sides on each one and strange, mystical looking symbols on them. Beautiful things, used for Divination, and apparently some weird game known as "Apartments & Anteaters", but who knows?

OOC Reward: You gain a moderated thread at any point where the story will continue. You may cash this in at any point, with a pm to me!

Knowledge

Caregiving: Looking after a young, freezing, blind girl
Detection: Watching someone's movements to determine if they can see
Endurance: Wrapping up against the cold
Navigation: Following directions given in an unusual manner

Joelle: A fortune teller
Joelle: Blind, but not
Joelle: Lots of contradictions
Joelle: Her mother.
Ronan

Overview

I really enjoy how you're portraying Ronan - and how his mind works is intriguing. He's easily charming, yet I'm not sure that he knows it and you write him with an aura around him (for want of a better term) which is of self confidence and self assurance. I really enjoyed your part in this thread. Thank you for taking part!

XP: 15
Fame: +10 for taking part, +10 for your kindness. = +20

Loot

+1 Tarot Card: The Hanged Man. This card remains with you. Like, you leave it at home? It's in your pocket. You go on holiday? It's right there beside you on the beach. You can't lose it. Even if you try. Weird! Oh, also - it never creases - it's always pristine.

OOC Rewards:
You gain a moderated thread at any point where the story will continue. You may cash this in at any point, with a pm to me!
As Ronan was the one who, by the luck of the draw, dealt with the "real" Joelle, he gains a further reward.
► Show Spoiler
Of course, the question arises.... if she was the real one - who were the others talking to? Strange!

Knowledge

Caregiving: Looking after a young, freezing, blind girl
Detection: Watching someone's movements to determine if they can see
Endurance: Wrapping up against the cold
Navigation: Following directions given in an unusual manner

Joelle: A fortune teller
Joelle: Blind, but not
Joelle: Lots of contradictions
Joelle: Her mother.
word count: 528