• Graded • The Exchange

(Gangui) Toan manages to arrange a meeting with his previous employer.

With the escalation of hostilities between Etzos and Rhakros, a series of small walled towns is being established as a network of early warnings and defenses against Rhakros' reprisals. Only the very bravest and most formidable of characters should risk themselves on the Witches' Wilds frontier.

Moderator: Basilisk Snek

Toan
Race: Human
Profession: Mercenary
Renown: 51
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Wealth Tier: Tier 5

Milestones

Miscellaneous

The Exchange

Zi'da 4th 717, Noon

It had honestly been a little too long since Toan had spent his time here within Foster's Landing, as he'd noticed there had been credible changes to the place itself. For one there were patrols throughout the city that resembled Black Guards, which he definitely tried to avoid since his little stunt at the Citadel last season. That and... there were a lot more mercenaries gathering in another part of the town. Something big was going down apparently, a lousy expedition to unearth fallen ruins somewhere or so he heard. Street ears didn't really know much either, other than quite a number of men were being recruited for the trip. Treasure seemed to be their angle apparently, Toan on the other hand already had just the right valuables he needed today. "You." He grabbed the shoulder of an urchin that passed by, her curled hair and dirty cheeks easily gave away her current lifestyle.

"What's gone on lately? Why the increase in guard patrol?" As he asked this he brought up a gold nel between a finger and thumb, and held it just shy of her reach until she would answer him.

"Guards are helpin' out a new gang, dunno who it is though as I've never really seen him." She eagerly answered with her hand held for the coin.

"No name to go by? Surely you've caught a glimpse of him at least once."

"Well..." She seemed to withdraw the hand and contemplate for a couple of Trills. "I know he has a flower on his helmet often."

"Flower? He wouldn't happened to be a mustached twat now would he?" Toan inquired with a raised eyebrow.

"Maaaybe."

"Hm..." Toan rubbed his chin for a moment as the girl grappled his wrist almost weakly. "Fair enough," he gave in and allowed her to take the gold piece, "but there's more where that came from girl." At the sound of that her eyes shot from the single gold nel she held, up to him with a glint that suggested opportunity on her behalf. "How would you like to find him for me? Give him a message and I'll pay you for the effort."

"How much?" She inquired with a childish curtsy of her form.

"Three gold nel this time." He offered with a smirk cast down to her, a chuckle to follow as her eyes went up to the sky in thought.

"Okay, what's the message?"

"Tell him these exact words; the mustached twat can find a gift waiting for him at the Goldmine. Can you remember that?" He checked as he fished out the other three gold pieces.

"The mustached t-wat can find a gift waiting for him... at the Goldmine!"

"Good girl, now on with you." He encouraged as he held the pieces out for her to take, with a fast hand the little girl headed off to find him with a giddy step in her run. It was only a matter of time now before Toan would finally be rid of these jewels in his pocket, as he was ready to sell them off for a profit once the proper one had been identified. When he noticed a guard had turned onto his street, Toan quickly turned away and walked onward to dunk around a corner. Quite eagerly he moved along to an alley he could use for a shortcut, and kept onward in the direction of the place for their little rendezvous.
word count: 595
"Now see me, now you don't..."

NPCs Renown Rolls Timeline Influences Pantheons Trove Property Workshop Rambles Vlogs
Gangui
Approved Character
Race: Mixed Race
Profession: Faction Leader
Renown: 196
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

The Exchange

Instead of wearing the bright Turkey insignia and the feathery helmet that was signature to his style, Gangui choose to wear his black cape today. Clumpsidly he wore the hood up to help cover his face and mustache. Despite his terrible attempt to look inconspicuous, they were still able to keep their identities hidden.

However, their motives where plain as day. Creeping into the entrance of the Gold Mine, Gangui and his retainer were too big and healthy looking to be part of the under class. The citizen of the nefarious Sunnyslope barely survived nipping at the heels of Foster’s Landing wealth.

Quickly the two large unmarked warriors approached Toan’s table. Way too quick for comfort. Before the thief was able to take another breath, they were upon him and getting straight to the point. “Toan,” Gangui said flatly, “Where is it?”

Wide eyed at his approach Toan scoffed and couldn’t help but grin. “I might have it. Depending on what ‘it’ is and what it looks like.” The thief mused with hands folded in front of his lips. “What’s with the outfit by the way? Finally too embarrassed to show your face? Not surprising given the mustache.”

The warrior sighed at the fool’s jest, but he was used to such type of people by now. It was a common thing the behold in the Etzori state. Sitting down across from Toan, the turkey retainer remained on guard behind him in case any bad business would transpire. “In case you hadn’t heard, I am the new sheriff in town, I can’t be seen here with you.” It was obvious he didn’t want to make this take longer than it should, “Show me the pendant.”

“Alright, alright. Just relax.” Toan murmured with a sigh as he appeared to dip his hand below the table, from underneath he pulled not one but three pieces of jewelry. All amulets or pendants when you looked at them, each placed in front of Gangui separately to look at. “Had a bit of a mixup when I got in, so I had to grab and go before the Black Guard caught me.” He murmured with a nervous look over Gangui’s shoulder, the motion implied the thief to actually be a bit paranoid.

Taking note of Toan’s lack of comfort, he nodded curtly over his shoulder and sent the retainer a couple tables away to sit guard. “The excitement made me forget,” he apologized, wanting to keep a good relationship with the service provider.

The thief chuckled and shrugged with eyes back down to the pieces of jewelry. “Wasn’t easy setting up a way inside, and I damn near got caught trying to get out. Like I said though I could manage, only thing now is for you to determine which pendant is the one you were after.” He opened his palms willingly, waiting for Gangui to decide.

The warrior mused over the three pendants for only a bit before a gauntleted finger shot down quickly onto the Moseke amulet, the same one that Ellen’wyn had shown him on the pier, “This is it.” He picked it up and stared at it closely, holding it up in front of him.

The retainer behind him coughed, which suddenly brought the warrior back to business. Putting the pendant down, he wondered if any prying eyes saw him brazenly hold the iconoclast.

“You took too long, I can’t pay you the full amount.”
word count: 586
Toan
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates

Milestones

Miscellaneous

The Exchange

Toan’s eyes narrowed as he believed his ears to deceive him. “I’m sorry… I think I just misheard you there.” He chimed with his finger tips drummed across the table speculatively. “Sounded like you just said… You can’t cover the full amount we agreed upon.” He checked with a wry but almost aggravated grin.

“You didn’t complete your end of the deal,” He said with a grave voice, “It’s already Zi’Da, you’ve been gone a whole season nearly.”

The thief merely stared in silence as he cursed Gangui, physically he wanted to… to… stab him! What an asshole! An incompetent, utter buffoon! What… what… what a twat!! He nearly broke into a rage but kept it contained, a few heavy sighs exhaled through his nostrils to help the venting process. “Well…” He cleared his throat with a lean forward. “In my defense… I was being hunted down, for being the criminal I am in getting a pendant that… you were willing to pay so dearly for.”

When he said this he did so with careful articulation, almost as though Toan now had incentive to blackmail. As he spoke, the warrior set the pendant down and put his hands out of view and under the table. Maybe on a weapon. Was he about to get fucked? “Calm down.” He commanded in a calm, yet authoritative tone that echoed despite it’s low volume, “I’ve brought you an even better deal for your efforts,”

Looking over his shoulder ever slowly not to startle Toan, he nodded at the retainer, who dropped a small lock box in between Toan and Gangui. “Go on, open it…”

Curiously Toan’s eyes narrowed first on the box then on Gangui, the coloration in his cheeks dulled from their reddened state. What was this? Some sick joke? The thief hesitated but then reached out, hands on the box as he cracked the lid slightly open. What was inside…. Made his eyes widen as the corners of his lips curved widely. Jewels! Glorious little gems that probably sparkled and gleamed in the light! Oh how Toan’s heart felt ready to sing praises of this man, even if he turned out to be a total nutter. “Well well… Looks like you came through after all.” He mused with his eyes back on Gangui shortly afterwards.

“These jewels came from a raid we did on a cult of evil baby consumers and child rapist.” Gangui whispered as he closed the box on Toan’s face, “It is easier for me to give you this then nel. All things considering…”

“So I see.” Toan muttered as he couldn’t help but look dearly upon that box. “I trust…” A pause came as he mulled over Gangui’s words. “I trust that you put an end to them?” Not that he outright cared, but somehow Toan wanted peace in mind.

“Alas, they still breath,” he waved to the barmaid to bring over drinks, a noticeable ease on his shoulders lifted when he put the pendant inside his surcoat pocket, “We only stamped out one of their bases, unfortunately this is a real problem,” Gangui said gravely and softly, his demeanor representative of inner strife in the form of a growling grimace.

“Well that’s too bad.” Toan’s face became that of a displeased frown as he looked back down to the box. As much as he despised defilers and abusers of children… He really didn’t have any place to serve in regards to aiding the man, Gangui was officially a justicier of the people now and Toan… Well he definitely served another calling in life. “Good work Gangui. For someone I considered an idiot and a twat… you’re proving to be more useful than you let on.” He complimented with his face still sullen as he reached for the box.
word count: 650

NPCs Renown Rolls Timeline Influences Pantheons Trove Property Workshop Rambles Vlogs
Gangui
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

The Exchange

The warrior shot a sideways glare at Toan and whispered, “Well that’s too bad?” His demeanor began to shift from introspection toward the moment at hand, “Well that’s too bad?” He raised his voice in slight crescendo, “Your... reaction… to a secret cult of pedophiles and cannibals is… ‘Well, that’s too bad?’”

“Yes,” Toan interjected with a serious glare, “It is too bad because I would’ve revelled in the thought of them dead. Disposed. Bastards like them don’t even deserve the grace of death Famula has for them, even if she cares to do whatever the bloody hell she desires.” The thief spat out nearly venomously, almost like he spoke from a more personal experience. “While it’s too bad they still live, I’m hopeful that your efforts will permanently stamp them out. For good.”

The dark turgid drinks clattered on the table in the ensuing silence after Toan’s vehement statements of moral disgust at the situation. Gangui was happy to hear support for his cause, even if it was from the dishonorable representative of the underclass. Creaking his head, he realized that this was not all true with Toan. He had kept up his end of the bargain, completing his terms almost flawlessly. He toasted, “I regret not being able to do more.”

Together they downed the spirits, thus marking the end of their contract. The uneasy silence afterwards was suddenly broken as the liquor finally settled in the warrior’s empty belly, “I have a new proposition for you,” Gangui said.

With little regard for the words though Toan reached across the table, determined to pull the box of jewels closer to him. Gangui however pulled it just a little further out of reach, and with a crack of a smile with a chuckle the thief sank back into his seat. “What kind of proposition? Am I stealing another trinket for you to woo said fair maiden with?”

“Help me defeat the pedophile cults in the area.” He said curtly and with command in his voice, pressing down all his righteous into his words. He stared into his eyes with the extreme fierceness of a natural born leader. At the notion of being given the proposition however Toan stared blankly. Hard. For a good Bit he remained that way, until finally he couldn’t help but burst into a brief fit of laughter.

“Help you? Sorry chap, but you don’t know me very well.” The thief informed him with a look to the side.

Immediately, Gangui had a response for this. He knew ahead of time what would be the bait to persuade the man’s loyalty, but he didn’t conceptualize it until instinct dictated, “If you prove yourself in honor, I will pardon your criminal history and allow you to purchase property within the city walls. You’ll have my endorsement.” He was willing to bet that Toan would accept a free pass, to allow for him and his progeny to move up in Etzori society a little.

Subtly the thief leaned to the side with fingers pressed into his temple, his lower lip bitten as he appeared to consider the offer. Why deny it? A clean slate? Surely that would tempt anybody in the gutter such as Toan, however the thief rested his hand back down on the table with not but one word. “Pass.” He said this with a widened smirk.

Gangui’s fist curled up in annoyance, but he had one final ace in his sleeve, “You’d turn down all that, plus your share of the treasure? Look at the gems I just gave you. That’s just one of their hideouts...”

“Indeed.” Toan remarked with a sigh. “I’d pass up on that. All of it. My reasons don’t align with your interests anyhow, as much of a promising offer that you’re making I simply refuse.” He waved a finger to Gangui with a point towards the box, ready to accept his form of payment and maybe even clear out.
word count: 679
Toan
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates

Milestones

Miscellaneous

The Exchange

The steely hand of his client pulled the box back towards his chest, “What is your price? What you want?”

Apparently Toan was worth something all of a sudden. Not just a scumbag of Sunnyslope anymore? The idea of it intrigued him somehow, and yet even so he felt it incredibly awful to indulge in the idea.

“Price?” He inquired at first with an aggravated look to Gangui. “My price has been met already, I stole your trinket and that right there is what I’m here for.” He wanted to keep it simple, to avoid the idea of being an ally to this… nutcase.

“Look to the future Toan,” Gangui pleaded, “You will undoubtedly spend all this money within the fortnight, but when the whores and booze is gone, you’ll need more funding. I know how it is. I started off as a common sellsword,”

“So you know what it’s like then?” He remarked nearly venomously once more. “To live with a life of no purpose? To grow into the man you see now, with little care nor worry as to what petty-”

“There is nothing petty about what’s at stake here,” he rumbled in quick retort, his eyes still piercing, “Pedophiles, Toan, pedophiles, don’t you understand what that--”

“Maybe not for you,” Toan muttered as he feigned disinterest, “But for me I couldn’t care less. Those cultists would die well under your scrutiny, since I hold no mercy for men who defile innoc-”

“Look Toan, I might sound crazy, but mark my words,” Gangui interjected with rumbling passion, “Your soul has been inoculated by the Immortals. The normal reaction to this is anger, not cowardice. If we let them take root, our society is doomed and you would sit here and let your family get consumed by this!

Gangui’s rhetoric brought yet another brief chuckle, as Toan couldn’t deny the man definitely came off crazy. “Cowardice. You’re a simple minded idiot Gangui, unable to see things for what they are.” He sighed and then looked coldly to the man, his eyes darkened as they narrowed on Gangui. “I’m not the sort of guy who goes out of his way to save people. Never have, and never will. You on the other hand-”

“Leave the “saving” to the healthy individuals,” He raise his hands in air quotes, “Your role would be different,” Gangui pressed on with his argument, “By using your subterfuge for good. Using your talents to help with victory.”

The idea behind the notion seemed more fitting for Toan, more his style as he did have ways with subterfuge. Shadows and secrets were allies to the thief, there would be no denying this of course. Yet… “Sorry Gangui.” He shook his head with a sigh as he rose out of his chair. “But it’s not me. I’d only be more of a hindrance on your cause.” He held the hand out one last time, determined to part with the jewels. “Now… The payment?”

After quickly mulling it over, Gangui pushed the lockbox over to Toan in much disappointment, “When your money runs out, know there is more work for you if you decide to take a journey on the path of honor.” With the finality of his statement, the warrior stood up and motioned for his retainer.

With the lockbox in his possession now Toan stared hard down at it, almost bitterly as his victory somehow stung in this argument. He watched as Gangui and his watchdog marched out together, his frown turned to that of a soft smile. “Sorry pal…” He muttered to himself as he held the box close. “But I’ve greater ambitions in store.” The thief mused as he looked to one of the upper exits into the Underground. While he would’ve considered actually taking the man up on his offer, Toan felt it beyond himself to accept such generosity.

He was scum after all.. Destined to remain such until he proved otherwise, and he’d do it by making that name for himself… by himself.
word count: 685

Gangui
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

The Exchange

]
Exiting the dank tunnels of the Landing’s criminal district, Gangui did not feel totally defeated in the exchange he just experienced with Toan the Thief. It was a risky move indeed, that was, going into the literal lair of evil in order to recruit for his most righteous cause. A risky move indeed, however it was something that was needed.

Despite seemingly failing, it was the seed he needed to plant into the minds of the most wretched in the city. The little light that was the human spirit would begin to get strong and stronger until Toan succumbed to what Gangui believe was the good in all people. Even those crippled by the darkness that was the world could reach their full potential.

Eventually even the darkness itself would push Toan towards his movement. When all of the jewels were spent on consumables and other things the uneducated bought, he would surely be pushed into a position of desperation in which he would seek out a strong and glorious rock to rebuild his life on.

And of course. If Toan ever entered the game as player on the map, he would undoubtedly have a high regard with Gangui if business were to be conducted again.

Confidence in his step, he returned under the cover of night, not spotted by a single soul as he returned to the Sons of Justice Encampment.

Looking at the amulet that was now in his possession, Gangui forgot about the potential in Toan and instead his thoughts went to Ellen'wyn and the look on her face when she saw he had retrieved her pendant.
word count: 272
Maebella
Race: Eídisi
Renown: 54
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

The Exchange

Grading Checklist
Thread List Up to Date?Yes
Skill Point Ledger Up to Date?Yes
Money Ledger Up to Date?Yes
Fame Ledger Up to Date?Yes
Solo or Collab?Collab
1500 words or more?Yes
Number of Posts3
No. of Skill Knowledges Due8
[/color]
Rewards
Gangui

Skill Points:15

Knowledges:
  • Skill
    • Negotiation: Necessary Formalities
    • Negotiation: Making clients comfortable.
    • Negotiation: Using leverage
    • Persuasion: Questioning motives
    • Persuasion: Offering them something money can’t buy
    • Persuasion: An appeal to greed
    • Leadership: Commanding Glare
    • Leadership: Motivating Speech
  • Non-Skill
    • Toan: Reliable
    • Toan: Not susceptible to the truth.
Loot: No.

Injuries/Overstepping: No.

Fame: No.

Magic EXP: No.
Grading Checklist
Thread List Up to Date?Yes
Skill Point Ledger Up to Date?Yes
Money Ledger Up to Date?Yes
Fame Ledger Up to Date?Yes
Solo or Collab?Collab
1500 words or more?Yes
Number of Posts3
No. of Skill Knowledges Due8
[/color]
Rewards
Toan

Skill Points: 15

Knowledges:
  • Skill
    • Intelligence: Children Can Carry Messages
    • Intelligence: Keeping Tabs On Politics
    • Persuasion: Coin Carries More Weight Than Words
    • Discipline: Keeping Composure In Heated Discussions
    • Discipline: Denying Yourself A Tempting Deal
    • Discipline: Showing Restraint From Stabbing Someone
    • Negotiation: Blackmailing To Get Your Way
    • Negotiation: Measuring Value in Bargains
  • Non-Skill
    • Gangui: The New “Sheriff” In Town
    • Gangui: Has Appearances To Maintain
    • Gangui: Talks Crazy But Makes Sense
    • Gangui: A Completely, Utterly, Insane Buffoon
    • Personal: Worthless Scum… Or Am I?
Loot:Lockbox of gems worth a maximum of 1800GN. Nice!

Injuries/Overstepping: No.

Fame: No.

Magic EXP: No.

Well, that was certainly something! There was an interesting sense of morality and honour in these two and there was a clear sense that while both are willing to cross some lines, they still have a very clear sense of a moral code.

I would say that in future, if you intend to collaborate in this way that you make it quite clear for a reader, especially for a grader. It has hallmarks of godmodding despite the fact that responses and actions have obviously been discussed in an OOC manner. Call me a traditionalist when it comes to PbP but it does feel a bit... off.

That being said, I did enjoy their interaction and I'm both impressed and disgusted by Gangui's play here. Having a girl's pendant stolen just so you can "retrieve" it and return it to her? Dude, no, don't be like that. Poor manipulated Ellen! As for Toan... ah, business is business I guess.
Don't forget to edit your request as having been graded, here and mark it with this stamp!

Code: Select all

[center][img]/gallery/image.php?album_id=500&image_id=13217[/img][/center]
word count: 445
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Outlying Cities”