• Solo • The Price of Knowledge

Talius Lords have a frank conversation...

Stronghold of education and learning, this fortress is in one of the coldest areas of Idalos and home to many knowledge seekers in a variety of disciplines. However, unknown to most, below the city are those who suffer for the sake of science. While all are welcome, not everyone will be treated as they expect.

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Virikai Talius
Approved Character
Race: Eídisi
Profession: Researcher/Student
Renown: 154
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

The Price of Knowledge

38th Day of Zi'da
717th Arc

The door to Virikai’s room opened noiselessly, and the young scion glanced up from his notes from his most recent lecture in Medicine and turned to face his father. He hid his surprise well; the man never ventured into his room, much less with two mugs of tea in his hands. “Good morning, father,” the young scion greeted civilly.

The other offered him a smile, a cold, deadly one that gave no illusion of comfort, “Good morning, Virikai.” The son turned his gaze away, tense. He shifted himself on his chair as his father entered the room and, placing both mugs on his desk, sat down on the plush chair perpendicular to his. He wondered if Verity was liable to verbally attacking him again, like he had done every time the two had come into contact with each other in the past arc or so. “I have some more questions for you.

Joy,” Virikai muttered bitterly, if slightly childishly. “Why don’t you just read my mind?” He didn’t really have the time or the patience for whatever insulting conversation his father now wanted to engage in.

We can do it that way if you would prefer,” Verity responded, arching his eyebrows on an otherwise unreadable expression. He indicated to the mug closest to Virikai, “Drink, you did not come down for breakfast. One of the slaves is making up lunch for us, she will be bringing it up soon. You must be starving.” Virikai did not take it, not knowing the price on it, and unwilling to accept anything from his father for the last few cycles. Verity’s eyes narrowed, “Drink.

Why is it that you decided to align yourself with Linika Amarinthine?” Verity asked, keeping his gaze fixed on his son. Virikai paused, considering the worth of answering the question. He saw no harm in it, as he was ultimately incapable of it. “I don’t know…

You don’t know a lot, do you?” The Lord replied. Virikai glared, rearing instantly, though Verity only seemed amused, though danger lurked, ever present, in the dancing gleam of the other’s eyes. “If I were you, I would have tried to learn more about the naer before entering into this bizarre relationship with her. What on Idalos have you been spending your time on? Certainly not bettering yourself. You seem to have forgotten the point of being the heir to a Lord. It is not simply good enough to frivolously waste your intelligence at the Academy. You will be undertaking work with me… an apprenticeship, if you will.
word count: 439
Virikai Talius
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

The Price of Knowledge

The slave knocked, invited in by Verity. The Lords were silent as the slave quickly placed the two bowls of soup and a plate of buttered bread on the table and left with a deep bow. “Eat, whilst we go over the rules of this arrangement,” Verity said with a pointed look, also indicating to the untouched tea. The scion acquiesced, taking a sip of the tea before taking a slice of the thickly cut bread and ripping it in half and dunking it in his soup. It was hardly the polite way to eat it, but that’s how Virikai liked to eat his soup and bread.

Ah, this was it, he was about to be granted all the freedoms he had once had. “So, what you’re saying is that I get to live in a gilded cage, as opposed to a proper one so long as I follow your rules? Perhaps it would be easier to keep me locked up,” he said costs, “I’ll still be your prisoner. No amount of nice clothes or allowing me my rooms will change that. I am someone without you; you have nothing I would want.

Careful, Virikai, you wouldn’t say that if I did treat you as a prisoner.” Verity tutted, his gaze had now turned visibly icy. “You have worked for the Facility of Retrospective Analysis, I thought you would know better than that. But I don’t think you do. You seem to be working under the misconception that food, clothing and other material deprivations are what would make you a prisoner.” The man took a sip of his tea, “let me correct you on that.

The scion blinked at the dangerous gleam in his father’s eyes. He worked hard to nonchalantly continue eating his lunch, as if Verity’s expression did not set him on edge. “Being held captive is not about whether or not your cage is gilded or roughly hewn from iron. It is not about rags and bland food. It is about your complete lack of rights in this situation.” The Lord Talius smiled, as if he was finding some sort of twisted amusement from the conversation. “You have all of these material comforts because I allow you to. You are not in control here, child. I am.

While I understand that your defiant attempts to pretend you still have some powers out in Videnese society, and the illusion of control, it is a delusion, understand that… and it is only a delusion that I allow you to have, yet again. Everything you do is subject to the whims of my mood and approval. Bars, chains, even keeping you seculded from society and deprivation only curly emphasise this base fact, and make it easier to sit on your moral high ground. You want a real prison… because then you would not have to feel indebted to me, you would be free to curse and hate me.

It was the unavoidable truth of what Verity said that had Virikai bristling. He could not ignore his father’s arguments, nor the truth of his statements. “Control is not the same as ownership,” he tried anyway, refusing to back down so easily. “You don’t own me.

Verity’s head marginally tilted to the side, scrutinising his son, as if working out how far he could push before shattering the boy. “You know what I am. You know I am Yvithia’s Champion, her Right Hand. Xypha can give me full access to your thoughts, your feelings, your actions… control over them, even.

You can control me through force all you want, father. But everything would still belong to me, because you cannot truly own anything I do not give willingly. Rest assured, none of it would be willing.

But you will give me what I want, child, and willingly.” Verity replied quietly, gaze searing into his son. “Because your judgement is based upon the fundamental error that I don’t have anything you want. I do: freedom.
word count: 674
Virikai Talius
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

The Price of Knowledge

I’m doing this for your own benefit, you know,” Verity continued as he watched his son’s face twist into something ugly as he snorted with disbelief. “It will do you good to learn how to bend that neck of yours when you have to. Knowing when to concede and when to fight is part of politics, part of life.” Verity smiled, altogether too pleasantly. It sent shivers up his spine. As If Virikai didn’t already know that.

You like to pretend like you are better than me, father. But you have just as little sense of empathy for others, and you rarely feel remorse or guilt for your actions. You are powerful, highly intelligent and, one way or another, you always get what you want. You’re just as… evil.” Virikai did not look entertained, a certain coldness entering his gaze. How would that make Verity any more special than Virikai?

Good and evil are stereotypes put in place by society in order to get people to behave in a manner they want people to. To control them. We created morality to constrain everything they’re scared of,” Virikai replied carelessly as he sipped his tea. “You work in the Facility for Retrospective Analysis. If people know about what we were working towards down there, they would see it as inherently wrong, yes?

Virikai nodded reluctantly, aware of the abuse of general rights that occurred in Viden’s secret laboratories. “Yes, were the violence to happen in the city, the perpetrator would be lynched. What’s your point?

So we’re committing the same acts. The same for killing. Sometimes it is ‘wrong’, a crime, murder. But others, in the act of war, society lets it slide. It it was truly, objectively wrong, surely it would be wrong in all circumstances, not just when it doesn’t suit the eyes of society? Morality is a subjective construct. They don’t exist outside of mortal-made labels… it is an emotional response to an act. The vast majority of the population of Idalos, and even Viden, is too emotional to be able to handle what we are trying to achieve. They would not see that the ends justifies the means.

The scion frowned; when had this become a lecture on morality? “Why are you telling me this? I have never once questioned the work we do within the Facility. It still exists, though. You were once human, father. You were on the other side of the bars.

I hardly find that worthy of celebration,” the Lord drawled, leaning back in his chair. “Humans are pitiful creatures. There are weaknesses and flaws within the natural human condition, imperfections, that we have evolved to be free of. We are better off without such psychological limitations.” Verity stood as he finished his tea, a signal that he was done with this conversation, deciding that he had won. Virikai did not even realise this had been one of their battles. “first lesson for you to understand it why we must maintain Viden as it is. We are a peaceful nation because of our secrets. You are born of privilege, and that means you have a responsibility to protect this city. You come of age next season, it is time for you to step up.
word count: 552
Sephira
Approved Character
Race: Mixed Race
Profession: Element
Renown: 415
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Wealth Tier: Tier 5

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

The Price of Knowledge

Virikai

Overview

What a beautifully written thread! Everything about Virikai feels so measured and detailed. He reflects carefully on his thoughts before speaking and is mindful of choosing his battles. I look forward to reading more about him in the future.

XP: 10 This may NOT be used for Magic

Fame

Fame: +2 For standing his ground against his father

Loot

None

Knowledge

Negotiation: Knowing When to Fight or Concede
Politics: Control Through Force
Politics: Control Through Respect
Politics: Morality is an Emotional Response
Politics: Morality is a Subjective Construct
Politics: The Value of Secrets Non-Skill Knowledge
FRA: Must be Kept a Secret
Immortal: Yvithia
Race: Naer
Naer: Enemies of Viden and Eídisi
Verity Talius: Yvithia’s Champion
Xypha: Yvithia’s Blessing
Xypha: The Power to Control
Xypha: The Power to Read Minds
Yvithia: Immortal of Intelligence, Language and Communication
Sephira Blackwood
Now that your review is complete please place this code into your review request: here

Code: Select all

[center][img]/gallery/image.php?album_id=39&image_id=7932[/img][font size=70]Sephira Blackwood[/font][/center]
word count: 181
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “City of Viden”