Number every page in silver....

123rd of Vhalar 717

Here are all threads from before the Fall of Emea in 719 and all threads pertaining to the Fall. As of Ymiden 719 (1st June 2019), this forum is locked for new threads and is a repository for old content.

Moderator: Staff

Faith Augustin Champion
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Fanatical Philanthropist
Renown: 2250
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

123rd Vhalar, 717
"I need to write it, PB" Faith said and she smiled to her chalk bunny friend. He was sitting opposite her, both of them at Padraig's desk in the university, and they had piles of books around them. It wasn't the books around them that had Faith's attention though. They were in the area very clearly marked
The Past
The heavily pregnant young woman, for such she was in both the waking world and this particular dream, was looking, not at that pile of written books, nor the ones which stood, pristine and untouched, devoid of information and ready to be written in. Piled in the dogbasket was a strange place for them, Faith thought, but then Padraig was a sometimes strange man. Still, those books in the area demarcated as
The Future
Well, those would have to wait till later. No, it was this one, this tome which seemed so massive to her which was, of course, named by the words written on the spine and there, on the front of it. In beautiful, flowing, silver lettering this book was named.
The Book Wherein Faith Writes About her Right Now.
Faith frowned and shook her head, resting the cover down gently as she opened the book to it's first page. "I don't know, it seems like it didn't quite get named right you know. But still. We have to write it."

PB sighed and looked at her. He pushed his spectacles up his chalk-bunny nose and then, he spoke. "See, Faith, I'm not sure why yer doin' this. My little trout and toolbox, my little fluffball of love, wot-oh-wot are you stressin' about now?" Faith glared at him and looked down at the blank page. Her hand moved to her swollen stomach, where she felt the child moving in the waking world, causing her to mutter and shift in the strange built-up-fortress of pillows which kept her comfortable. In this dream, of course, she had no idea that she was dreaming, so she simply felt the baby kick and smiled.

"I'm afraid, PB," she said, quietly. "One trial, I'll have to tell them what I am, what I was." She looked down at the parchment and smiled slightly, "I was thinking that if I wrote it all down, then it might help, somehow."

"Well Famula's bouncy knockers, love, you're a special kind of stupid, you are." Faith looked up at him and shook her head, although she grinned. He was dreadful, yet she never (or rarely) got offended. There was no need or point to do so. "If yer gonna write all this down for your parasite, then yer showin' them the past too. Which one of these do you want them to read at bedtime, sweet cheeks?"

PB reached over and tapped various spines, his chalk eyes not leaving her as he read the words written there. "This one, it's about the time that you an' that other girl, Tasar, remember? When the two of you got whipped bloody. Remember that? Course you do. Spiffy bedtime story. I can jus' imagine ole Pad's gonna love tellin' that one. Or maybe this? When you spilled the wine? You idiot, woman, stop worryin' about the past an lets just focus on the future." Faith frowned and looked at the books PB was pointing to.

"You have a point," she conceded.It wasn't something that she'd thought of in such flowery or blunt terms, but he was right. "They're shackles in their own right." PB nodded eagerly and pointed to the book in front of them.

"An' while we're 'ere and because you're about as bright as a plank of wood, you spend all yer time writin' in here an' all you're gonna do is end up writing 'and then Faith wrote' which is just like, Stupid McStupid of the Clan McStupid, Queen of Stupid in the city of Stupidville an' in deference to the Gods of Stupid. Don't do it."

With serious gaze and yet a twinkle of mirth in her eyes, Faith asked him solemnly, "I'm sensing that you think this might not be a clever idea?" PB grinned.

"Come on you silly goose. Lets go to the meeting." PB jumped down from the table, as Faith frowned. Meeting, she wondered. What meeting did he mean? Still, she took his paw and they exited together. As the door closed behind them, there in the book appeared words, written in silver on the otherwise blank pages.
And so, it began....
Off Topic
FYI: I have 21 completed and graded dream threads. One other ongoing alongside this so this will be dream #23 for Faith. Thanks!
word count: 803
Life, Death and the In-Between .
Pash Raj'oriq
Approved Character
Race: Biqaj
Profession: Tankbard
Renown: 315
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Partner
Templates
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

To sleep, perchance to dream ...

The door opened to a well-lit hallway of smooth, black stone made warm by the glow of candlelight cast from decorative silver wall sconces. Upon closer inspection, the stones were rough and all of them were covered in layers of chalk dust and writing, as though someone had used the room to write and draw in with chalk of various colors. Some of the images and words were familiar, and Faith would see that they were familiar because much like the books, the words and images were her own: her life, her experiences, her thoughts.

The walk through the hallway felt far shorter than it should have, given its size, and as the pair began to reach the end of it, the sound of water tinkled from somewhere outside of their vision and the cracks in the wall had lovely, green growing life poking out of it here and there—grass, moss, a few tiny bright blue flowers. By the doorway, everything was covered in lush flora instead of chalk.
Above the sound of water, a few voices could be heard and if Faith opened the door at the end of the hall (the only door in the whole hallway), she was greeted by a lovely woodland scene—tall trees, rich undergrowth, and a clearing where the door spilled out. In the clearing was what could only be described as a picnic, complete with a quilt the size of a large banquet table and a rich assortment of very delicious looking food.

Only, instead of people sitting and eating and talking, the blanket was occupied by woodland creatures. A handful of rabbits, a badger, a mouse, a weasel, and two birds. They all looked up as the door opened and their conversation stopped,

"Oh! Finally!" The badger smiled warmly, as if such a creature could even smile, standing onto his hind legs and sweeping a stubby, clawed paw toward the blanket, "Please come and sit with us, Faith. And PB, sir."

Two rabbits brought a stool for the heavily pregnant dark-haired woman so that she could perhaps sit more comfortably than directly on the ground. All of the rabbits were eager to greet PB as if they'd known him forever and most of them were not at all normal colors.

One of the birds, a handsome yellow fellow, offered them both some tea. The mouse arrived with a basket of the tiniest biscuits with jam Faith had ever seen.

"I apologize that we have been discussing a few things without you, but they weren't important to this moment." The very formal, deep-voiced badger spoke up once Faith and PB were settled. All the other animals seemed to settle once he spoke, too, and the breeze that rustled the peaceful forest felt expectant, curious,

"Did you come with your song for the occasion?"
Off Topic
This is a guest-moderated Dreamwalking initiation thread! I have permission from Anomaly to enjoy initiating Faith into Dreamwalking. It should be fun!
word count: 506
Rakahi | Rakahi Pidgin | Common | Xanthean

Because of his Competency in Empathy magic, Pash exudes an aura of calm emotion that is always "on." While it's not strong enough to overcome extreme emotions and it also loses strength the more people he's around, it's still up to you how that affects your character in whatever situation we're in. PM with questions!
[/googlefont]
Faith Augustin Champion
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

The hallway was her, written on the walls and Faith wondered really why anyone would bother to write it down. Her life had been unremarkable before she met Padraig, but then that was what the sudden burst of life was she knew. The flowers and patches of moss and grass. They were her life now rather than her life then. It used to be just black and white, but now it was life and colour and Faith knew why. Then, there was the doorway and she opened it without hesitation.

The picnic there in front of her was beautiful and Faith beamed in delight. Then, she looked at PB as he seemed to be known by the creatures here. He bounded off to greet his friends and Faith moved forward. "Thank you so much," she said, to the rabbits and sat on the stool. "It's getting more difficult to get up and down, these trials." She thanked them for the tea and beamed in delight at the biscuits with jam. "Oh, these are wonderful! I might try and make some myself, they're so tiny and perfect. Thank you!"

Then the badger spoke and he seemed to be the One In Charge. Faith listened and raised an eyebrow. "A song? I'm.. well, I know songs, yes. But was I supposed to bring one especially?" She looked at PB and her expression was accusatory. "Dunt blame me, love, I didn't know. This lot, I mean, you know. You know 'ow it is. They're all.. you've got lots of songs, you'll be a'right."

Faith considered what PB said and she had to admit that it was fair. He didn't know, so he couldn't tell her about the need for a song. "I.. I'm sorry, Mr Badger, but I wasn't aware that I needed to bring a song. I have a few I could choose from, but I wonder if you could tell me." Faith's gaze was her usual earnest and serious one. She hoped that this question was acceptable and so she asked it with a quiet and respectful tone.

"What's the occassion?"
word count: 364
Pash Raj'oriq
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Partner
Templates

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

The woodland creatures all seemed very empathetic as Faith explained how challenging it was to sit and stand now that she was heavy with child, giggling and chiming in with their own various experiences and apologies. The mouse may have even blushed about the biscuits, should a creature with fur on its cheeks be able to really do so. Just here, perhaps.

The Badger was, indeed, the One in Charge, although he may not have actually admitted that in the presence of all the other animals that sat at his feet and at the feet of Faith,

"The occasion? It's my birth trial, of course." He laughed, which was a sound that was more like very heavy snorting than actual human laughter. His dark eyes looked to PB with an amused sort of expression for a moment, but then the barrel-chested creature shrugged and waved a clawed hand at the dark-haired woman, "But if you didn't bring a song, it doesn't matter. If you catch onto the lyrics someone else brings to the party, we can all sing together instead. To trial, my presents are for you anyway. You and the one that grows within you, already loved and much long-awaited for."

A few more birds flitted down from the trees and a fox slipped from the undergrowth to curl at Faith's feet with a smile. It was like some folktale, some children's story, so full of talking, happy animals and a sunny, forest picnic. A breeze tickled her hair and ruffled fur, making the trees dance and flowers bow. The badger cleared his throat and sang an opening address of sorts. The tone of his song felt more lighthearted than the lyrics:

"Immortal's Favors, seasons fair,
Be kind to us this trial,
Let no beast here whom we hold dear,
Fall prey to some beast vile.
May the strong defend the weak,
Protect those who take part,
Grant victory to the true and right,
To those who are faithful of heart.
And when new seasons fall,
Leave not an empty space of grief,
Amongst us who hear this call!"

The other gathered creatures agreed to the encouraging welcome, following it with a few shouts of happy birth trial. One of the birds sang next, a sweet song without words, and then several of the rabbits. Their songs were very bawdy and everyone had a good laugh. The deer told a story. The fox and the field mouse sang a duet.

While they were supposedly all there for the badger, most of the animals chose to address Faith, which the One in Charge didn't seem to mind in the slightest.

It was as more refreshments were being passed around that the yellow-breasted young bird found himself at the dark-haired healer's feet, "Did you want a song? You can have mine. It's quite short and easy to remember."
word count: 496

Because of his Competency in Empathy magic, Pash exudes an aura of calm emotion that is always "on." While it's not strong enough to overcome extreme emotions and it also loses strength the more people he's around, it's still up to you how that affects your character in whatever situation we're in. PM with questions!
[/googlefont]
Faith Augustin Champion
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

"Oh, happy birth trial!" Faith said to the Badger and she smiled in genuine delight to him. "It's very nice having one of those. I never used to, you know. Then Padraig found me and I was free. So, I learned how old I am and then he gave me all my birthtrials all at once. They are?" Faith looked a little surprised when he said that his presents were for her, but she accepted it as how it was in the way that dreamers so often did. After all, her sleeping mind made sure that it just made sense.

"I am very sorry. I did not know or I would have brought one." Faith assured the Badger most earnestly, as she tended to do almost everything. But it was quite lovely here and she was very pleased to meet all of the animals. She loved animals and always had, although that too was something she didn't really discover until her freedom, and if it was down to her she'd have a house full. Thankfully, Padraig had very good sense, logical arguments about how they both worked and how an animal would be left in the house for breaks at a time. She knew it was right, but it didn't change any of the facts for her.

She sat, entranced, at the Badger's song and she smiled delightedly. Having greeted every animal and endeavored to make them all comfortable if she could, be that on her lap or feet or over there. More than happy to do so, Faith joined in with the cheers of happy birth trial for Badger and then a small yellow-breasted bird spoke to her and Faith looked down at him and smiled. "That is such a kind thing. But I could not take your song. Maybe you and I could sing together? If you wouldn't mind teaching me, I would like that very much." With a serious gaze in her earnest silver eyes, she admitted, "I was so worried that I would never sing to my baby, but I think I will, you know."

Looking around she observed the scene and Faith felt quite content. It was idyllic here, very beautiful and there were Good People here. It made her very happy to know that there were Good People in the world, but she put her hand on her stomach and thought of the child growing within her. Badger was right, she considered. Much loved, already, very considered and thought about, discussed and planned. She smiled at the yellow-breasted bird and said, very seriously, "Sometimes, you know, I feel like I'm so lucky my life must be a dream. Do you ever feel like that?"
word count: 459
Pash Raj'oriq
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Partner
Templates

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

"A grand celebration that must have been." The Badger laughed at the thought of cramming all of his unknown years of birth trials into a single moment, nodding at her surprise,

"I apologize that the invitation didn't arrive in time for you to prepare, Faith. Please, we are a free, feral collection of creatures. Don't at all feel guilty. There's plenty of song to go around should you choose not to participate." The powerful, short creature waved a clawed paw about their picnic as if to indicate the variety of animals and their potential voices represented.

If the yellow bird was capable of grinning, it certainly was doing so, fluffing himself up and chittering with delight to sing together, "My song has no words, but if you can harmonize, you would make a very lovely bird." The little fellow twitched his tail feathers and cocked his tiny head at her thoughts on singing to her child, "Hatchlings change you in ways you can't predict until you see them. Sometimes you don't have the right words to say, so your voice finds how to express it best."

The bird twittered and paused to preen a moment, wings flapping to resettle at Faith's feet,

"Life is both. Where dreams and reality meet is a special place that few see clearly and even fewer tread in knowing." The yellow-breasted creature was suddenly rather serious for a bird, and he blinked his dark eyes. The picnic had grown quiet, but it was still going on beyond Faith sitting on her stool. Animals still chattered and ate, lounging at her feet and in the clearing,

"Before it's our turn to sing, may I show you what I mean?" The creature tilted his body to glance at the Badger as he stood in the center of the animals and cleared his throat as if he was preparing to sing, "His songs are very long anyway. He won't notice."

Winking, the yellow bird fluttered upward, his movement an invitation for Faith to stand. She would find that it wasn't as difficult as she'd expected it to be this time, despite her advanced pregnancy. Like a hummingbird, though it obviously wasn't at all shaped like one, her dark-eyed, bright-breasted friend hovered while flapping his wings, and then began to flap away from the clearing and the picnic. A fox followed them, turning first to look at PB in invitation. A rabbit came, too. And a tiny shrew behind him. One of the deer looked up, nodding, but made the choice to remain.

If Faith followed, the yellow bird led her into the undergrowth, past the low-growing ferns and tall grasses that seemed to curl and part at her walking. Trees swayed in the breeze and the baritone singing of the Badger faded from hearing far quicker than she would have otherwise expected. The fox slipped past her, green eyes glancing at her briefly, before it slunk ahead into the lush green that grew around them. The shrew and the rabbit continued, keeping in pace with everyone.

"Do you remember your first dream, Faith? Or is there a particular dream that you hold most dear?" The bird asked, pausing on a branch ahead of her so that his shiny black eyes could regard her carefully. Far more carefully than any bird she'd probably found herself in the presence of before, "My song is mine."

Alighting again, the bird began a song, still leading Faith as he flew and sang. The undergrowth became taller, thicker, cloying at her ankles instead of parting so easily. The trees became older, taller, and heavier with branches and shadow. The bird's light song was consuming, and it almost looked as though all the lush life around them swayed with his sound. His tune was simple enough to catch onto, however, should Faith choose to sing along without words.

The clearing was no longer in view, and just as the yellow fellow's twittering song faded, the fox returned. In his mouth was a box, which he laid at Faith's feet.

The forest seemed to press tighter around them now, expectant and reaching for all of them. Two particularly thick trees were before them, having grown together in such away as to form an oval arch between their trunks and entwined branches. The shrew wandered through the natural space, pausing on a tree root to clean its whiskers and watch.
word count: 758

[/googlefont]
Faith Augustin Champion
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Faith smiled down at the little yellow bird when he said that she would make a lovely bird, "My husband calls me his hummingbird," she said with obvious pleasure. The notion that her child would change her in ways as yet inconceivable to her was not in any doubt in Faith's mind. She couldn't wait to find out, in truth.

The bird, then, so serious as it was, spoke to her of dreams and reality and Faith listened with interest. "Oh, I'd like that, yes, please!" Was her immediate response to being shown something. She stood, easier than usual and she made her way with her new friend. PB meanwhile nodded at the fox and then moved to walk next to the rabbit "'Ello gorgeous. 'as anyone ever told you that you is the most beautiful rabbit in all the world? Cos, you know, they should 'ave and if they 'aven't, well ole PB is tellin' you now."

Faith shook her head slightly and whispered to the bird, "I hope your friends don't mind him. He's lovely, really he is." If PB heard, he made no comment, but instead simply enjoyed the walk. Faith watched the fox and smiled at it as it slunk into the undergrowth, but then the bird asked her a question and Faith smiled. "I remember every dream I've ever had," she said. It was true, because of the mark of Vri she had a perfect memory of her past. Not always a blessing, of course, but always a lesson to be learned. "Before I could remember them all, I used to remember one, most vividly. I was barefoot and free and playing games with the other children. Even a slave is allowed dreams of freedom, there's nothing that can be done to stop them." She smiled though, and said with total honesty. "But my most cherished dream was one I shared with my husband."

It had brought them back to them, that dream. It had symbolised so many things and it had brought them back to who they were, before Aelig.

And then, the bird sang his dream. It was beautiful, echoing and heartfelt and Faith lifted her own voice in harmony. Her singing wasn't bad and it was something she was developing, in service to Moseke, and in preparation for her baby, but in this moment of the dream, she sang because it was what she had to do. There were no words, but she felt a soaring emotion as they sang together and she smiled in beaming delight. The fox, however, brought a box and put it at her feet. Faith bent and picked it up, looking at it in interest. "What's this?" she asked, opening it.
word count: 464
Pash Raj'oriq
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Partner
Templates

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

"Hummingbird. A fair appraisal." The yellow-breasted creature chirped his approval, even as the giggle of a rabbit interrupted further conversation. It was clear that no one minded PB for once.

The small bird listened carefully to Faith describe her favorite dream moments, head cocked to the side in that very bird-like, curious fashion that would have been unnerving had he not been a cute little bird. Blinking dark eyes, he seemed to genuinely imagine what she described, ruffling his feathers and giving a little flick of his tail when she was finished, bobbing his entire body as if that was the only way he could nod,

"In dreams, true freedom is indeed a possibility. Would you believe me if I told you that even those dreams you remember are just wading in the shallows?" She played in the surf of what was beyond normal consciousness, the surface realm of Emea the only landscape she could explore, and even then, the bird didn't quite make anything obvious yet about whether she was awake or dreaming, even then, she'd never walked as far as she could travel.

But she felt it for a moment, a trill or two, as the unlikely duo sang together, her voice perhaps unexpectedly complimentary to the tiny creature who talked so boldly. The touch of something else, as if they stood on the threshold, between being inside and being out in the open.

The fox brought a box to her and sat back on his lithe haunches, bright eyes watching with the bird, tongue lolling out of the side of his mouth as he appeared to smile in his own way.

Opening the box, a tiny key was inside. The key looked more like several hands clasped together, twisting and grasping, with the actual part that would probably be inserted into a lock looking somewhat out of place in the grip of so many well-carved hands.

"You've strived to help so many since you've found your own freedom." The voice of a child spoke from behind her, a little girl in a bright yellow dress with auburn braids and brilliant green eyes smiled at her as she emerged from the undergrowth. The yellow bird immediately flew to her, settling in her outstretched hand that she held out to him, "That key opens the door to a new kind of freedom for you—something special. Unexpected, perhaps."

The girl held out her other hand, expectant, revealing a gap-toothed smile and dimples, "Let me take you so you can come play, too."

The girl in the yellow dress and her bird led thee way through the undergrowth, which seemed to bow and bend away as they walked, making a path instead of getting in their way. The fox followed behind with the rabbit and PB, the undergrowth not simply coming back together behind them but growing thicker and taller the further away they walked from the clearing. The voices of the picnic and the singing faded until only the breeze rustling through the leaves of the towering, verdant trees could be heard.

After walking through the beautiful forest for what felt like quite some time, the girl stopped at a particularly broad tree, or two trees actually, which had twisted together in such a way as to form an archway. Between the trunks was an actual door, yellow like the girl's dress, and yet beyond the door stretched the rest of the forest as if it was nothing at all, nothing but decoration.

"I can bring you, but you must use the key." The little girl spoke quietly, glancing around into the woods as if she was expecting someone or something, "If you want to, that is, you can come with me."

Her smile was curious, waiting, and the little yellow bird flew to rest in a branch above the door. In the stillness as the breeze died down, the sounds of laughter and giggles could be heard, drifting through the yellow wood. It sounded achingly familiar and yet entirely new.

She'd promised a different kind of freedom.

What did that even mean?
word count: 699

[/googlefont]
Faith Augustin Champion
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Even the dreams she remembered were just wading in the shallows? Faith considered it and nodded her head. "I've met people from my dreams. That must mean there's more." She felt strongly that, if people could share dreams, there must be more to it than simply dreaming, but she didn't know how or what. Did it mean that everyone she dreamed with was real, she had often wondered. "So, yes, I'd believe you completely."

But as they sang, Faith felt it. Like she was teetering on the edge, right on the edge of something much bigger. Much more. Something beautiful, Faith was sure. Then, a girl spoke and the pregnant woman turned around and looked at her. "This key?" It had been in the box and it looked like a very unusual, very beautiful key. The key unlocked a new kind of freedom? Well, that was interesting, She liked that idea and the dreaming young woman didn't hesitate to stand and walk over, taking the little girl's hand. PB, meanwhile, watched but said nothing for a moment.

And there, in front of her, was a tree. Faith looked at it and how strange it was. It looked like a tree and a barrier, a beginning and an end, she thought. It was a door, but like so many of those things, she didn't know whether it kept things safe or locked them away. Were they even different things? Faith smiled at the little girl and considered. Just for a trill, she considered. It didn't take longer because Faith's philosophy had always been the same. She suddenly remembered a vivid moment. Still a slave and lost in the woods outside Andaris with Padraig, they'd been forced to spend the night sleeping on the forest floor after he had chosen to jump into a fast flowing river to save them both, rather than allow the group of bandits to take her. They were soaked, bedraggled and hungry and her high heeled shoes were gone, her beautiful and fashionable clothes utterly ruined and her hair a mess. She'd slept in his arms that night and had slept better than she ever did. But the following morning he'd asked her - if she could go back and not have all the learning, not grow more and more convinced that she could do more good free than a slave - what would her choice be?

Then, as now, her answer was simple.

Whatever was true, was true regardless of her knowing it or not. Ignorance might be blissful, but it was a lie and Faith was far, far too honest a woman to seek out or accept ignorance. The truth was what it was and she would never, had never, regretted knowing something. There were many things which she regretted that they were but knowing? Learning? Never once.

This would be no different.

So, Faith used the key with the full intention of opening the door and walking through.
word count: 504
Pash Raj'oriq
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Partner
Templates

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

The auburn-haired girl watched Faith's face intently, her curiosity far beyond what was normal for a child, even in her rosy-cheeked expression. The yellow bird twitched his tail and warbled excitedly as the dark-haired woman made her decision, turning with the key and placing her hand on the handle calmly, determined as always.

The voices and laughter faded for a moment, the quiet suddenly tangible and heavy. The little girl in the yellow dress grinned and stepped forward as the door swung open, inviting Faith inside.

Where there should have been more forest between the trees that made the doorway, there was instead a beautifully manicured garden stretching as far as could be seen through the threshold—sculpted shrubbery, beautiful flowers, and curious sculptures that appeared to be more like playthings: children of all ages were running and laughing and playing. Some played tag. Some picked flowers. Some were throwing a ball around. Some were climbing. Some were playing hide and seek. It was a glorious scene of free play.

The little girl waved her hand for her dark-haired companion to go before her, letting the pregnant Faith step into the garden while the yellow bird that had been on the green-eyed girl's shoulder took off and fluttered into the garden, singing the song they had sung together over the children, much to their delight. The fox stayed with them, walking between their feet but never tripping them, and the rabbit seemed very, very keen to keep up with PB.

Once through the door, it closed audibly behind them and then was gone, a shrub wall behind them where the trees had once been.

The little girl sighed with a warm smile, turning her rosy-cheeked face up to Faith with enthusiasm and joy, "And now I can tell you a secret—you are dreaming."

It wasn't entirely a surprise, something about the girl's words made sudden sense and didn't at all distort the feeling of reality that Faith found herself in. If anything, colors around her became more vivid and thee laughter and joy became more intense, but she didn't sit up in her bed awake because of the announcement,

"You have met people from your dreams because we all come together in Emea somehow—we are all connected here. It's random for most: chance encounters and strange occurrences. But for the chosen few, you can decide where you go and what you do here. I'm here to Escort you, to welcome you to walk dreams, a place of freedom and expression that has comforted you for so long. This place, this is my dream, but we must travel a little further. Do you want to come with me?"

The little girl said much at once, her green eyes eager and her smile inviting. She offered her small hand to Faith, and if the woman took it, the girl would tug her past the laughing children, many of whom stopped what they were doing to follow. Once of them picked up PB. Another pet the fox. All of them wandered behind the girl in the yellow dress as she led them through the garden, through beautiful flowers and odd statues, and into a hedge maze.

While the path was strange and confusing, eventually leaving Faith feeling as though they'd gone in circles at least twice, the little girl assured them. The yellow bird could be seen once or twice along the path, waiting on top of the hedges, his song guiding them. At the end of the maze was another door, though it was the girl who opened it, and it opened in a swirl of color, the strange feeling of vertigo washing over the pregnant Faith like that not-too-distant nausea of the first trimester. It was brief, but strong. Disorienting.

And yet it brought a focus to what lay beyond the hedge door, some of the children spilling through with them. The one holding PB set him down gently,

"When you leave your dream or someone else's, you enter The Veil. This place is a barrier, a road, a hallway, a passage." The girl in the yellow dress squeezed Faith's hand gently, assuringly, and the meadow they found themselves in waved with iridescent flowers and strange, multicolored sky, "There is more beyond here, of course, but from here as you learn and grow, you can look into other's dreams as I have looked into so many of yours. It's not all safe, however. The Immortals walk Emea. There are monsters beyond, too. Terrible Nightmares. Even the Veil isn't always safe, but it is far safer than what lies beyond—now that you've been here once, you will always be able to walk out of your dream and come here."

The girl with auburn hair smiled again, releasing the pregnant woman's hand and waving her own small fingers, "Welcome, Faith. Please allow me to be your guide if you need me."
word count: 850

[/googlefont]
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “The Fall & Before”