[Soirée] Dear Brother

siblings time. (Xander)

49th of Zi'da 717

The seven Duchies of Central Rynmere and their respective baronies, cities, towns, villages, and landmarks each overseen by a Duke of one of the seven noble families and ultimately controlled by the King of Rynmere.
Velaine Krome
Approved Character
Race: Mixed Race
Renown: 100
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Wealth Tier: Tier 5

Featured

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

[Soirée] Dear Brother

Dear Brother

49th of Zi’da, Arc 717
After what felt like forever, Velaine finally succeeded in extracting herself from a group of gossiping young women. For some reason, they had decided that she could provide them with the juiciest stories. It wasn’t entirely bad, however. Conversing with women her age like this gave her plenty of new insights about the happenings of the nobility. It was probably something she should do a lot more – though admittedly troubles at home was more than enough to occupy her.

Still, the young woman played along and tried her best to offer no real information – especially when asked about her newly-made baron brother and her newest betrothal to one of the richest houses – while seemingly telling them a lot. It was one of the useful skills her mother had actually taught her. She even managed to maneuver their jabs about her relatively simple dress with a graceful smile.

While Velaine appreciated a bit of gossip for the sake of information, her betrothed got sick of it fast. At the first chance he got, the Endor excused himself to get more drinks. Now that she was done, Nathaniel was nowhere in sight. They had been separated for a while now, but she figured that he was probably delayed by fellow nobles. If there was one thing these people loved to do… it was talking.

For a brief moment, Velaine took a deep breath and let her mind still as she looked towards the crowd. Tangles surrounded the twirling bodies on the dance floor, shifting and twisting – mesmerizing and painful to watch at the same time. She thought of nothing but her own breathing. In. Out. In. Out. With so many people packed into the ballroom, the young woman had started to find her head assaulted with mild waves of pain. Her spark had greedily took in the various tangles that surrounded her, filling her vision with colors when she least expected it. Elrik had told her that mediating to block out unwanted

As she continued to scan the room, the young Krome suddenly spotted her brother’s lone figure. Surprisingly, he looked like a proper baron - Velaine had always known him as someone who wasn’t exactly comfortable in events like this. She didn’t see Celeste anywhere nearby, but the pregnant woman might just be resting. It must be exhausting to carry around the weight of her swollen stomach.

They haven’t got the chance to talk much earlier, with Oliver and Charlie there. And their respective partners. Velaine had been hearing stories, gossips, and small bits of information offered by her father’s people. Something she really wanted to talk to him about. This was perhaps her best opportunity, considering that they wouldn’t be seeing each other any time soon after this ball – especially if she decided to spend the rest of her Zi’da in Endor.

“Xander!” she called out as she neared. While her voice was just barely enough to get him to notice her, Velaine spotted more than a few curious heads slowly turning their way. Still, the young woman pretended to be oblivious and gave her brother a bright smile. “You seem awfully lonely without your wife by your side.”
word count: 545
Xander Andaris
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Single father | Duke of Andaris
Renown: 142
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Wealth Tier: Tier 6

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

[Soirée] Dear Brother

Xander was roused from his daydreaming by the sound of a faint voice, he could have been sure he heard his name and by following the turning heads and what he believed to be the origin he spotted her. His sister dressed as he would expect any Krome to, arguably militaristic. He liked the dress, much more than he liked his own clothes and especially the stupid hat which he had managed to leave behind with Celeste as she rested.

"Sister." He smiled and probably unexpectedly reached forward and hugged her. "They are watching." The wolf murmured as he gently embraced his younger sibling smiling happily for anyone who was looking for gossip of family problems or some other absurd idea. They were not the Venora's, at least not for the public. The truth when it came to their Father was much different.

He released his sister and stood opposite her, as had been the general look for the night he was without drink. He had completely given up the substance a few arcs earlier for reasons Velaine would have understood if she were not off in Ne'haer. Still he did not blame her, again it was their parents who had added to the growing void between him and Velaine since their childhood. "I hope you are enjoying the night, it is wonderful what people do for charity." Sincerity was in his voice as for once this was a party for none selfish reasons.

"I must add that you look awfully lonely without you 'husband-to-be'." The Baron's tone clearly showed he had been unimpressed by the Endor this evening. "Are you sure it is best to have left him alone this evening, from what I could tell a short leash may be necessary." He spoke quietly and lower than the sound of the crowd and music. Only Velaine was so close she would be able to hear it as he lead her away from prying ears, knowing how quickly things spread in places like this

Once they were away from the majority of the crowd, by a wall near the exit Xander became more relaxed. "I am happy to see you Velaine, it has been a while and I have missed you." He smiled, it seemed being with Celeste and soon to be a father had truly softened him, this was probably the least serious and professional she would have seen him but it quickly receded.

"How are things in Krome, any news? I have been very busy ans unfortunately unable to keep up with all going on there." The Baron began to fiddle with his cuff, still uncomfortable in the clothes of a rich man.
word count: 451
Velaine Krome
Approved Character
Race: Mixed Race
Renown: 100
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Wealth Tier: Tier 5

Featured

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

[Soirée] Dear Brother

Xander’s embrace was certainly unexpected. The young woman’s eyes widened and she waited a trill too long before finally returning his hug. She couldn’t remember the last time they had truly held each other, when it wasn’t for show. Imagining what life would be like had their relationship been better was no use, but it crossed her mind for the fraction of a trill. A glance at her brother’s fancy attire was a reminder for her not to be sentimental. He’s still an Andaris now and she was a Krome.

Velaine nodded faintly, a silent answer to her brother’s warning. The young woman had learned early in life that someone was always watching – she had been the watcher more than few times. Her brother’s awareness made her wonder if he was slowly turning into a politican. Perhaps courtesy to Celeste. She couldn’t decide if it was a bad thing or a good thing.

“Perhaps you mean what people do to gain themselves some good reputation?” the Krome replied lightly, softly. She had always been the cynic when it comes to people’s motivations, especially nobles. Very rarely did anyone do anything without some motive to benefit themselves. There was no judgment in her voice, though. It was a good move for the Venoras, especially in light of their family scandal. “But, it’s been quite a fun night nonetheless. Even with rumors buzzing around Nate and I.”

At Xander’s comment, the young woman grinned with amusement. To everyone else, it might seem like they had shared a rather good joke. She certainly didn’t miss the disapproval underneath his words. “That’s rather mean of you, Xander. It seems like you don’t like him already.” She wasn’t at all surprised. Both her brother and Nathaniel had… strong personalities. To be honest, they even reminded her of each other sometimes – an opinion she probably needed to keep to herself. Did Celeste have to keep the new Andaris in a short leash? “He’s not so bad, really. What is it that irks you about him?”

She let herself be led into a more secluded area of the ballroom, a bit of reprieve from the circling hawks. “It is certainly always a pleasure seeing you, brother. You don’t visit as often as you should.” This part she said loudly, the start of a completely mundane conversation between a brother and a siter. Of course when in reality, the baron immediately brought up Krome in their conversation. It was the one thing they actually could agree on, that something must be done to heal their house.

“Father has been getting worse and worse,” Velaine murmured, making sure that her words were solely for him. She kept her expression light though. While people might not hear what was being said, seeing grim faces would no doubt make them start cooking up stories on their own. “I don’t think he’ll ever get better. Our people aren’t so pleased about his antics, either. I’ve been doing what I can, but I am afraid he’ll drag down our family name to the mud with him. He’s an awful enough ruler when sane, now… Well, it’s rather difficult to perfectly describe.”

Velaine played with the ring on her little finger, twisting and turning it. She carefully chose her next words, hoping to get a reaction out of him. “So, how’s life as a member of the more flourishing house? People have been saying you’re climbing up the ranks of the dragons with your wife.”
word count: 608
Xander Andaris
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Single father | Duke of Andaris
Renown: 142
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Wealth Tier: Tier 6

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

[Soirée] Dear Brother

"Perhaps, maybe being in the South has made me optimistic about people, still the money goes to charity whether they did it for good or not." He shrugged slightly thinking of those the nel would help, it was a just cause for certain. He was yet to be certain of the Venoran host's intentions though, he hoped they were pure yet the family had a bad reputation these days. "At least we can sleep soundly with the fact our motivations were pure." He assumed Velaine had similar feelings to him, they were not so different after all, something they would both deny no doubt.

The grin on her face confused him slightly he had expected her to take offence at the insult to her fiancée, he was pleasantly surprised she had not. Still the issue felt serious to Xander and while the irony of a brother not liking his siblings suitor was clear, the real danger Xander felt from the man was not. "I am not completely sure, perhaps its the rumours or the way he spoke earlier, he was clearly not pleased with something I did and he didn't try hard to hide it." Even Xander did a better job of keeping his emotions back. "He worries me, that is all I know."

Xander wished he didn't feel that way about his future brother in law but the encounter earlier had left him sour. Maybe time would change it but that would have to be seen. As she spoke of his father and the madness that beseeched him Xander struggled to fight his frustration. He had hoped someone might have murdered him by now, the seven knew he was not good for the family or the people of Krome. If only he had not failed himself, the memory of his father laying there like a fish out of water lingered in his minds eye. The Baron had been sure it would be enough but as it seemed it had not been the case.

The older wolf nodded and tried to keep a more casual look on his face, crowds had a tenancy to spread rumours and he was not in the mood for any this trial. "I long for the day he departs this world, the entire duchy will rejoice." Xander tapped a beam in the decorative wall of the hall, a gentle drumming coming form the contact. "As for life as an Andaris, well it is not so different from a Krome except the fancy clothes and heavier work load." He chuckled but his eyes took on a more frustrated appearance, as if something else bothered him these days.

"Climbing? Falling, stumbling or being pushed?" He scratched his chin and forced a smile. "Things are complicated down here, in ways unlike they are in Krome. Sometimes I am not sure if it is me or another talking." The Baron cleared his throat as a couple of ladies walked by. "Of course not sister I am very happy for you and Lord Endor..." His voice trailed off as they carried on by, making sure to leave a good impression if they had prying ears.

The wolf turned dragon looked at his sister, there was certainly something of him in her but it was twisted in a different way perhaps. "Come Ashan there is something I wish to tell you, I would like to tell you now but it is simply not the right time." The Baron smiled and placed a hand on his sister's upper arm. "Anyway, do you plan to visit when the baby is born?" The smile was genuine now as he looked for the soon to be Aunts response.
word count: 618
Locked Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Duchies”