[Soirée] A Gracious Host

The seven Duchies of Central Rynmere and their respective baronies, cities, towns, villages, and landmarks each overseen by a Duke of one of the seven noble families and ultimately controlled by the King of Rynmere.
Oliver Venora
Approved Character
Race: Mixed Race
Profession: Baron
Renown: 100
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates
Wealth Tier: Tier 4

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

[Soirée] A Gracious Host

49 Zi'da 717
As guests arrived, Oliver saw to it that each was met with and greeted personally. The first thing he'd learned about being a gracious host was to make oneself known immediately. The second was to supply wine or spirits immediately afterwards. Sauntering towards Nathaniel Endor as he entered, Velaine on his arm, Oliver smiled widely. He had not heard that they had been paired, but he was rather glad they had. The other Krome was wild and uncouth, and would likely make an appearance. But Velaine, she was something else... Simmering cunning under an exterior of polished ceramic. Or so he'd heard.

With a hearty red in hand for Nathaniel, and a bubbly white for Velaine, Oliver stopped in front of them both with a wide grin, stark white still pristine yet. Holding out first the glass for Velaine, then the other to Nathaniel, the host knew it would be ungracious of them to decline. The only one he expected to decline all evening, in fact, was Charlotte. He hoped that she and Darcyanna would be down at some point, though they might already have been. He'd been so busy watching as the guests entered that they could have slipped down behind him, stabbed him in the spine, and sailed to Rharne before he would have had time to consider his misfortune.

Bury the anxiety. It was his father's voice.

"Lord Endor, and Lady Krome. I must say that I am pleasantly surprised to see the two of you intertwined. And rumour has it that you have paid the Lady's entrance fee, Lord Endor. How gallant." Oliver's dark eyes cooled to a liquid teal, mercurial as the black threatened to return at a trill's notice. Straight teeth shown as his smile split wide his face, and he sipped the same brusque red he'd offered to Nathaniel.

"There was a time where it was whispered that I'd be betrothed to Lady Velaine. Such is my misfortune, evermore." Oliver smiled politely, acutely aware that Charlotte may be standing behind him. It was true, though. Manu and Kalani had discussed with the Kromes the thought of marrying Velaine to Oliver, and what a pairing that would have been. The consummate politician pairing with the gorgeous wolfchild. The pairing would have been one of tenacity and passion, that was for sure. Oliver would be lying if he'd said he had not thought of it on lonely nights a few arcs prior. Still, though, he was content where he was, though Velaine's striking figure in her dress did nothing to dull the ache of missing out on the opportunity when it had presented itself.

"But more than congratulations to you, Lord Endor. Here I was, thinking the most delectable item in the building would be the roasted goose Jirelle has prepared. I am pleasantly disappointed." He took and kissed Velaine's hand, standing back to smile at Nathaniel and Velaine.

"Should the two of you be hungry, though, my chef has prepared quite the spread. I ask desperately that you eat something. It seems none of the stuffed-shirts will, though the small-folk have no reason not to. The few who have shown up so far have been indulging like it's their last day on the solid ground." He chuckled, brushing a black speck off his shirt. Out of the corner of his eye, he spotted the dress that Charlie had chosen, and in it, the most exquisite figure he'd ever seen. Letting his eyes drift only for a moment, he took a mental still of Charlie standing in her dress before readdressing the couple in front of him.

"Or, if you're not hungry, I have plenty more wine and beer to go around. Please, make yourselves comfortable." He smiled again, but Charlie's curves in that dress clouded his mind like a darkening storm.
word count: 659
Velaine Krome
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Wealth Tier: Tier 5

Featured

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

[Soirée] A Gracious Host

“I suppose I shouldn’t be surprised that news traveled so swiftly in a party like this,” Velaine replied with a smile as their striking host, Oliver Venora, commented on Nathaniel’s earlier gesture. It seemed it had sent a message reverberating through the guests. She didn’t mind, really. Curiosity would draw attention to them and it could be played to her advantage, if needed. “But never mind about that. Thank you for the invitation, Lord Venora. I have to say, it is quite the event.”

While they walked deeper into the soiree, Velaine had took the time to appreciate the lavishness of the Venoran home. Someone had worked through all the intricate details to make sure the event looked flawless. Every bit of what anyone would expect from House Venora. She took in every inch of it, the wealth of a house that was slowly bleeding hers dry. There was no real malice in her thought, just the statement of facts – facts that she plan to change very soon.

She took a small sip from the glass in her hand. It was still early and she would have to pace herself. There was nothing amusing by being drunk before anyone even started eating. Distancing herself from any alcohol didn’t sound too bad. Perhaps it would save Nathaniel from having to deal with a drunken woman on his arms.

The young woman laughed lightly at Oliver’s comment, as her eyes wandered to her betrothed. Now that she was actually promised to someone, it was difficult to imagine anyone could have taken Nathaniel’s place. “I’ve heard. I think my mother had mentioned you several times.” Sophia had brought up the Venoran’s name more than a few times back when she was still driven to find a suitor for her daughter. A beneficial match, she had said. Krome was indebted to Venora and dependent on them, seemed like a practical choice to join their houses. At least until the Endors swooped in.

Probably not the best line of conversation to have in front of Nathaniel, but the Krome was curious as to how he would react. While they had spent a lot of time together during his stay in her home, she hadn’t seen him interacting to anyone outside his or her family. There was still much she could learn about the Endor.

“Don’t worry, Lord Oliver,” the young woman assured. Perhaps unlike most women here, Velaine was used to hearty meals. After all, Krome throws all the best feasts. “I am quite determined to at least get a taste of everything here.”
word count: 439
Nathaniel Endor
Approved Character
Race: Ithecal
Renown: 0
Character Sheet
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

[Soirée] A Gracious Host

His betrothed had not been that far behind him. It seemed that the man at the door had managed to keep good notes on who paid what when and where. She had managed to get in unhindered. Nathaniel smiled warmly to her as she made a joke of his floppy hat. He blew the feather back up as it was flicked about his face so that it would stay in place. "It is my pleasure, Lady Krome. This is a charity gala. Just use your nel to do what you can to make Krome look as good as you do tonight."

He offered his arm as they had practice before, half a season ago before things had gone terribly awry. With her arm safely tucked under his, he guided her through the ball, nodding politely but avoiding all conversation until his target was achieved. Of course, some aristocrat had waylaid them long enough for Oliver to beat him to the punch. Their gracious host had found them first, but it was welcomed none-the-less. He bowed deeply to their host as he arrived, taking the offered wine happily. Finally, something that was useful to ease the tension. This may be a party after all. "I see your ears are everywhere Lord Venora. Although your loss is my gain, I am certain you will find great happiness elsewhere. There is plenty of fine ladies about the Kingdom. I, however, would not trade Velaine for any of them."

As Oliver went in for the kiss on Velaine's hand, Nathaniel felt himself stiffening. He knew this was common etiquette within the Kingdom. It was a sign of respect; yet, he found it hard to accept another man's lips on her in any form. Nathaniel stuffed the feelings away, filing it as a thing that needed to be addressed in his own mind.

"We shall have to taste Jirelle's delicacies. I am sure they are the finest, given that Venora provides the Kingdom with much of their supply. I am sure the common folk appreciate your generosity Lord Venora, as do all the nobility and aristocracy in attendance," Nathaniel smoothly stated, somewhat impressed with himself. Those were some very big words to use so early in the night. His mother would have been proud. He took another sip of his wine, hoping to make this polished side of him go away as quickly as possible. "Is there a woman here that you intend to claim as your own? There must be a few eligible bachelorettes among us still."

He had caught the faintest drift of their host's eyes but did not dare look behind them to see what skirt he was looking at. It certainly would have been rude and his question was well poised to get the information he desired. As much as tonight was about those of lesser fortune, it was certainly full of political players with desire to establish themselves for the good of their houses. His parents had wanted him to get out there and make a name for himself - for them. He was mostly here for the memories, Venoran wine, and good old fashioned fun.
word count: 531
Charlie Warrick
Approved Character
Race: Human
Renown: 87
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

[Soirée] A Gracious Host

Charlotte Warrick
Charlie nodded at whatever they were saying, the Burhan and Endor before her. She had been introduced to them, had joined their group for something to discuss, but now she couldn't remember either's name nor what they were talking about. Charlie didn't mind balls - she did not mind the obligation to her house to be a gracious lady at these events, but this time, Charlie was distracted thoroughly.

Her eyes kept glancing around the room, only coming back to settle on the two women with a brief smile to ensure her attention, before looking around again. Every so often, Charlie's fingers came up to twiddle at her silver wing pinned to her dress. Here, she was Charlotte Warrick, but she would never let anyone forget that she was a Sergeant, too. It was part of her identity, and Charlie couldn't leave the wings behind. As she nervously played with the pin, Charlie kept glancing around, when a waiter approached with champagne for the group of ladies.

"Oh, not for me, thank you," she declined. The two women looked at her surprised, both of them reaching in for a glass, and it was only as the waiter moved on that Charlie found who she was looking for: Oliver Venora. He was kissing the hand of a woman she did not know - a Krome, she thought - and was surprised by the twist of discomfort it the image brought her. All her attention was now on the three across the room, Oliver, the woman, and a handsome brooding man. The two women beside her kept talking amongst themselves, something about a new designer in Andaris, but now Charlie had abandoned all pretence of listening. Her attention was enraptured by the man across the room.

Their eyes met for a moment; his a blue teal, contrasting against the white of his suit, and Charlie felt a shock run through her at the intensity in his gaze. "Excuse me," Charlie said abruptly to the two others, leaving without a curtsy and striding determinedly across the room. The two women looked at her shocked, but Charlie was not waylaid from her goal. Her heart thudded, but she moved as elegantly as she could in the form fitting red dress, and approached the group.

"My lord Venora," she murmured, curtsying slightly with her eyes downturned. As she rose, their eyes met again, and Charlie nearly gasped. Seven, she wanted him again - that one time had not been enough, and seeing him like this, in his element, made her mouth dry with desire. Quickly, she smiled, bringing herself back to focus, before turning to the others. "Excuse me for my interruption," Charlie said, smiling goodnaturedly. "I am Sergeant Charlotte Warrick. I don't believe I've had the pleasure of your acquaintance." Charlie smiled brightly at the other two, but she was so aware of the warmth of Oliver's body beside her.
word count: 492
Oliver Venora
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

[Soirée] A Gracious Host

49 Zi'da 717
Oliver's eyes calmed to a liquid midnight, settling into the coolness of the end of the trial. He observed first Velaine, his eyes flashing as she spoke, before turning to Nathaniel. He was not surprised by Velaine's impeccable etiquette, nor Nathaniel's lack of it. There were jokes around the kingdom that the Bears and Wolves were kept outside for a reason, though few exceptions remained. Velaine was a trained wolf, one who knew how to eat the sheep around her before they realized she had teeth. Oliver remembered admiring that about her, and wondering if she would ever turn that seductive and quick blade towards him. Time would only tell.

"Indeed, my Lord Endor, my loss. Though, I must say, the two of you make quite the handsome couple. Your children will rival the beauty of those in Venora, I have no doubts," he complimented, allowing the words to hang in the air for a moment. Another mental flash of Charlotte exploded into his mind, dampening his vision while he saw Charlie sashaying her way towards him in the crevices of his mind. Shaking his head, he returned just as Nathaniel asked if he was going to make one of the women there his.

"Mine? Lord Endor, I doubt very much any woman in this room would allow herself to be anyone's, your date included. The thing about being raised with everything is that you tend to pick up a sense of self-importance, and some of us more than others, eh?" He asked, smiling at Nathaniel. There was a glinting edge in his eye, but he was only teasing. He opened his mouth to reply, but Charlotte appeared at his elbow, and Oliver smirked.

"Wow, Nathaniel. Are you a summoner?" He asked, turning to admire Charlie's exquisite makeup and hair. His heart pounded, and he let his eyes stay a few trills longer than they should have before he turned back to the couple. "Were I to be lucky enough to be claimed, this young lady here would be the one. Charlotte Warrick, Lady Velaine Krome and Lord Nathaniel Endor. Lord Endor, Lady Velaine, this is Charlotte Warrick." He kissed Charlie's cheek, briefly, but was sure that it was seen by at least a few. Smiling, he knew the rumour mill would begin shortly.

"Lady Velaine, I am told that since your brother's marriage to Celeste Andaris, you are now the next-in-line should your parents abdicate," he smiled, his mind considering it too garish to mention their deaths. He tilted his head, cool black eyes shifting to a deep blue as he looked at Nathaniel.

"Will you be making Lord Endor here Duke Krome? What a gain indeed, eh, my lord?" He smiled sharply at Nathaniel again, once again teasing him. Turning back to Charlie, Oliver's impishness did not fade.

"I was once told I would be married to Lady Velaine, Charlotte. Mother and Father had hoped that one of us would take to the other, but the Fates just weren't on our side. Instead, we are here, and ostensibly happier, no?" He smiled and offered an elbow for Charlie to hold on to, turning back to the two before them.
word count: 547
Velaine Krome
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Wealth Tier: Tier 5

Featured

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

[Soirée] A Gracious Host

“I see your ears are everywhere Lord Venora. Although your loss is my gain, I am certain you will find great happiness elsewhere. There is plenty of fine ladies about the Kingdom. I, however, would not trade Velaine for any of them.”

Nathaniel’s words made her heart pump just a little bit faster and drew her gaze to him. She could not tell if he truly meant it, but it seemed like her mind did not care. When she had pondered about the possibility of being betrothed to a stranger, Velaine had never considered that said stranger could make her feel so… unbalanced. The young woman had always took pride in her ability to manage her emotions, compartmentalize them if needed be. Unfortunately, that particular skill often faltered when it was related to Nathaniel Endor.

Fortunately, Oliver’s compliment was enough to distract her for the moment. “You’re too kind, Lord Venora,” Velaine replied airily, stealing a brief glance at her betrothed. Children… She hadn’t really thought of it since her betrothal with Nathaniel became official. She would be expected to bear the Endor’s children in the future. Their children. It wasn’t something she needed to worry about for now, right? They were not even married. Unbidden, the image of Celeste Andaris being pregnant in her wedding dress came to Velaine. The turmoil was locked inside her mind though, the cheery expression on her face unfaltering.

Velaine caught the mild jab when Oliver teased about Nathaniel’s choice of words. It was flawlessly smoothed out by his teasing tone – a man who knew how to wield words. Only then did Velaine recalled her mother mentioning that Oliver Venora was an astute politician.

At the corner of her eyes, the Krome noticed a young woman making her way to them, beautifully clad in a fitting red dress. Her eyes unmistakably gravitated toward the Venora. It gave her enough hint as to what their relationship might be. Sure enough, she stopped right beside Oliver.

“Sergeant Warrick, a delight to meet you,” Velaine greeted with a small curtsy of her own. Sergeant… she wasn’t very knowledgeable about military ranks in Rynmere and sometimes asking couldn’t hurt. Her experience taught her that simple questions can make one seem much more approachable. “Does that mean you are a Skyrider, if you don’t mind me asking?”

At the question regarding her line of succession, the Krome laughed lightly and her reply was playful. “If you put it that way, I suppose so, yes. Though I doubt it’ll happen any time soon. The Duke and my parents are still very much healthy and kicking, after all. And well… if Nathaniel is planning to marry me, it seems like he won’t have much choice.” Some parts of her words were not strictly true, of course – Andre and Emma Krome had not been well enough enough to attend the King’s wedding last Saun and her father was nearly a madman. But that was family business.

Velaine turned to look the Endor, awaiting to see if he should respond. They had never talked about it, not truly – not even when they had sat down with their parents and discussed the terms of their betrothal. Should they be married, it was a very real possibility that Nathaniel would have to leave his name behind to take his place beside her.

“I was once told I would be married to Lady Velaine, Charlotte. Mother and Father had hoped that one of us would take to the other, but the Fates just weren't on our side. Instead, we are here, and ostensibly happier, no?”

As she looked between them, Velaine could not help comparing the two. They seemed like two very different men. Externally, at least – it’s difficult to know the true depth of someone’s personality. Oliver with his charming smile and silvery tongue. Nathaniel with his stoic demeanor and steady green eyes, his words rarely embellished. And when he did adorned his manner of speaking, she could help noting that she very much preferred him when he was speaking candidly. But that, she knew, was only possible when they were in private.

In the world they lived in, you can’t always get what you want.
word count: 718
Xander Andaris
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Single father | Duke of Andaris
Renown: 142
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Wealth Tier: Tier 6

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

[Soirée] A Gracious Host

Xander's eyes scanned over the crowds of people, nobles and commoners alike. It was a healthy mix, something that Xander approved of. Still it did not change the fact that he did not enjoy these events at all, while they were the perfect place to arrange meetings with new potential allies they were just so loud and busy.

The young Baron could already feel himself beginning to sweat a little, the many bodies in the room heating it up. Perhaps he'd be able to take a step outside in the not too distant future. Through all this discomfort Xander kept a content outward appearance, a warm welcoming smile and tall stance. He did not slouch and ignored the urge to tug at his collar and loosen off his doublet.

No. Instead the young Baron finally spotted who he'd been looking for, his sister and brother-in-law to be. Nathaniel managed to look quite out of place among the party goers, maybe it was his rigidity he could not tell. Either way, he got the feeling the man would rather be off in his mine as Xander would prefer to be about doing his own things too.

Gently leading Celeste he spoke. "Let me see my sister and what I believe may be our host, I can offload the donation to him." The box was still tucked safely under his arm as they made their way across the dancefloor. "Nathaniel is there too, I do not believe you've met him yet, I wish I knew him better already." He could see the discomfort in Celeste's and so he stopped and looked for a chair.

They eventually managed to maneuver their way across the room, stopping first at the chair Xander helped his heavily pregnant wife to sit before kissing her forehead. "I won't be long my love, rest get yourself some water, I will be back soon." He waved a servant over to get anything Celeste needed before departing for the group he had spotted previously, dodging around the conversing groups between them.

Finally he made it, arriving only to catch the tail end of the conversation. Trying his best not to interrupt he allowed the last comment to finish before joining them. He could not say that he believed the conversation fully harmless, talk of a betrothal that did not take place. It was hardly completely friendly chatter, it was in fact quite a sharp conversation one Xander would avoid getting skewered on.

"Goodevening my Lords and Ladies. Please do forgive my interruption, however, I could not pass by without stopping to greet my sister. And of course our host, Lord Oliver Venora." Xander inclined his head towards the Venoran Lord and the noble Lady who he did not know beside her. Smiling pleasantly at the both of them. "Baron Xander Andaris, it is a pleasure." He introduced himself just to make sure he was not mistaken for someone else, although who that would be he had no clue.

He also bowed his head to Nathaniel before smiling at his sister. "You look wonderful sister, I hope your companion is taking good care of you." Xander had already heard murmurs about the Endor paying for Velaine's entry. "Myself and my wife, Celeste, were certainly most honoured and humbled by the invitation and we," he looked across the gap to Celeste and wished she was there before holding out the box, "have our own contribution to make to the donations of the night."
Donation
A smallish wooden box containing 2000 Gold Nel, 1000 from Xander and 1000 from Celeste.
Last edited by Xander Andaris on Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:02 pm, edited 2 times in total. word count: 605
Nathaniel Endor
Approved Character
Race: Ithecal
Renown: 0
Character Sheet

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

[Soirée] A Gracious Host

"I suppose I use the term with less concern as to the effect that it might have. In Endor, there is plenty that a woman might be protecting from, my men included. Velaine may not need me to fight her battles, but may betrothal to her gives me the duty to do the best that I can for her on all fronts. Being raised with everything does not mean that you know or have everything. I sometimes find those that are poor have more than those that are rich. Happiness is priceless." It was not eloquent like the silver-tongued Venora, but he felt that it was honest. It was only then that there are party got just a little bit bigger.

Before he could really press Oliver for more information on what he was staring at and what clearly had most of his attention, he found a rather sultry woman sneaking up from behind him to place herself firmly at Oliver's side. The pair of them looked quite stunning. It took everything in his being to prevent him from appreciatively taking a good look from top to bottom. With Velaine so close, he felt it absolutely necessary to ensure that he was one hundred percent loyal to his own interest. Together, they looked far more professional and hawkish. With Velaine's conservative garb and his own branded dress, they appeared to be here out of commitment to their families. They did not reflect socialite behavior by any means; even if they could pull it off decently with words. Taking lessons from Oliver, Nathaniel reached for Charlie's hand and bowed enough to place a light kiss upon it.

It was a kiss for a kiss in his mind. "Sergeant Warrick. A pleasure. Do not place weight on Oliver's words of magic. I am certainly no summoner. This day in age would have me thrown into a cell or worse for breaking the new laws."

Was Oliver making jabs at him? He knew fully well the weight that the betrothal between him and Velaine. Nathaniel evidently had a hard time with sarcasm and teasing, having never had the privilege of growing up with siblings. He missed a lot of cues that a sibling might have taught him. Instead of teasing, he took the sharp smile as a poke to his intentions. Velaine was also correct. He did not have much of a choice. "If the duchy were to fall to Lady Krome, then I would certainly support her claim to it; however, do not think that it was my intention to wed for title. My mother saw to excel her position through me. As you said yourself, Lord Venora; we are ostensibly happier for the choices made."

Nathaniel couldn't tell if he was being coarse with his words. He had not intended to, but everything was beginning to get confusing. Politics confused him in such a large room with so many moving parts. One minute, he could be praised for paying for a moment and the next he could be berated for talking with another woman. If that were to happy, he would begin to see into the very soul of Rynmere's nobility. Seeing it for the monster that it was. While he took a sip of his wine, another couple approached their group. His eyes flitted to the two registering one as Velaine's older brother, Xander. They had met briefly, but Nathaniel would not lie; he did not know the wolf turned dragon.

"Baron Andaris," Nathaniel said crisply, having not received a more formal greeting aside from the acknowledging head nod. It was not surprising that he placed all his focus on Velaine, but Nathaniel found himself tensing at the dismissive word he was using. Companion? Nathaniel had spent a great deal of time in the brothels of Andaris. Caius would know. Companions were partners, assistants, and potentially attendants. He considered Marshall his companion. He did not consider Velaine as his companion. She was his betrothed and thus elevated above a level a companion might be. He eyes darkened as the thoughts raced through his head. He could hear Marshall's deep chested laugh in his ears; a figment of his imagination that would have been reality if the manservant was not sleeping upstairs. "Do not fear Xander. As her husband-to-be, I will take good care of her and House Krome."

There was significant undertones in the last part of his statement. Xander was now an Andaris. How would he take to seeing a "companion" sit upon the Duchy's seat of his home. He said little else to Xander but his thoughts about the whole interaction were acidic.

Someone was going to have to start cleaning up his messes or he was going to have to remove himself before he caused too much trouble. To keep himself occupied, he eye the chest of nel that had been offered as a donation. When he could get Velaine alone, they would have to discuss their donation. He vaguely wondered how much House Andaris was donating. Raising his glass to take another sip, he found only disappointment when he realized that it was empty. Apparently his anger had caused him to drink faster than he had realized.

Sard...
word count: 884
Oliver Venora
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

[Soirée] A Gracious Host

49 Zi'da 717
A flash of lightning white sparkled through his eyes at Nathaniel's words, mirth splitting his face like a young maple sapling under the axe. He reached out a manicured hand and squeezed the bigger man's shoulder, offering nothing but comradery in his tone and demeanor. The smile on his face was borne of true good-naturedness, and he harboured no ill will towards Nathaniel for his fortunate betrothal.

"My lord Endor, please take no offense to my words. The Rose is prone to having barbs, but it never means to sting for long. I am sure Lady Velaine is far more content to spend her life with you than she would have been to spend it with me. I was merely musing on the propensity life has for inserting unsuspecting circumstances into our routines."

Looking down, Oliver noticed the man's drink, but Bria was already on her way with the wine. From across the room, the host nodded in thanks, Bria's face lighting up. She was stopped by a man from Burhan, but would soon again be on her way. Holding up his own glass, he angled it towards Lady Velaine, a secret smile dancing upon his lips.

"And to their continued health, but insistence on early retirement, then." He smiled and lifted his glass to his lips, the smoky whisky passing through to wet his tongue, sending fire through his system. Smiling, he looked to Charlotte, whose talk about being a Skyrider gave him another polite reason to scan the crowd. Everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves, and he spotted Darcyanna and Caius from across the room.

Darcyanna's laughter tinkled to his ear even through the crowd, though later inspection offered the possibility that Oliver contrived it. The gala was certainly something Venora needed, but he and Darcy also needed it. Their shared history gave special importance to the public events, where the two of them had made their appearances together. They were often lauded by each and every politician as polite and stately, always. To share that again, especially after the early half of the season, was something special. When he turned back to the conversation, though, Lord Andaris had appeared.

A twinge of disappointment stung Oliver's stomach at having missed his arrival, and especially that of his wife. He made a point to remember to greet Celeste later, but took the opportunity to paste a dazzling smile onto his own face at the greetings of Xander. His eyes melted back to their usual shark-black, and Oliver reached out and took his hand in a firm shake. Catching the brief look of confusion on his face at Charlotte's presence, Oliver dropped the hand and grasped Charlotte's, catching Xander with a pointed look, though the smile never wavered.

"My Great Lord Andaris, I am far more humbled by your appearance than you should be at my invitation. I hoped you would come, but resigned myself to the idea that you'd be too busy. I hope Baroness Andaris is doing well. She must be close to delivery, no?" He smiled, having heard recently that Celeste was with child. "And this, my Lord, is Lady Charlotte Warrick, Sergeant of the Skyriders." He made sure to pointedly emphasize the 'Skyriders', as they were Rynmere's most effective military force.

He gripped her hand tightly, ensuring that she understood the message. Hoping that she would follow his lead, Oliver waited patiently for her to greet Xander, and smiled when she did so. So far, so good.

"Do you know if you will have a son or daughter, my Lord?" Oliver asked, genuinely interested. The fetus growing inside Celeste would one day be Duke of Andaris, and Oliver thought it prudent to know his dignitaries. Even the future ones.

Especially the future ones.
word count: 643
Charlie Warrick
Approved Character
Race: Human
Renown: 87
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

[Soirée] A Gracious Host

Charlotte Warrick
Charlie flushed pleasantly at Oliver's words. For all their agreement on discretion, here he was, claiming her in all but those words. "A pleasure," Charlie murmured, beaming happily around at the group. Again, she hesitated, but found she could not resist taking Oliver's arm. It felt right, slotting her arm into his. She knew the two women she had left would be watching, and she straightened, standing tall and proud. "Happier, yes," she agreed, smiling up at Oliver, glad it was her and not Velaine on his arm, before reluctantly returning to the conversation that swirled around them.

"Yes, my lady Krome," she said, smiling pleasantly at Velaine. "I'm one of the Kingdom's Skyriders. I have not yet earnt my Volareon, but I hope to make it to that stage soon enough." Charlie bit her tongue, eager to brag about how she was on track to make Major in only a few seasons, but it would not do to come off as arrogant. Instead, Charlie kept her excitement inside, smiling beatifically. She smiled as Nathaniel took her hand and kissed it, but with a swift glance to Oliver, she did not linger, taking her hand and placing it demurely back by her side.

"I had no suspicions that you were, my lord," she said with a laugh, assuring him. "With all the Kingdom is doing to find mages, I have doubts that one in such a noble family would go unnoticed." But the inference of mages made her nervous as she stole a glance around the room. Magic did not fit with the natural order of things, and for a moment, Charlie wished she had her weapons with her, instead of up in her room where she left them. But this was a ball, and there was no place for such things.

Bria arrived then, with wine for the others, and Charlie glanced at Oliver before she spoke to the woman. "Bria, would you be a gem and bring me some of the amber ale that Lord Venora purchased? It's delicious." Bria curtsied. "Certainly, my Lady." As Bria turned away, she sent a smile to the group. "I never had the taste for wine," she explained, chuckling slightly. "And the Skyriders do prefer a good brew."

Then the Baron Andaris appeared. She had heard of him, knew he was once a Krome, but the way he seemed to completely ignore her appearance merely to talk to everyone else twisted at her guts. Yes, she was not first in line, but she was a Sergeant, and a Skyrider, and even if he was a Baron, she deserved his attention too. Charlie smiled gratefully at Oliver as he took her hand, pointedly looking to the Andaris. Later, she would thank him, but for now she simply smiled, bowing into a slight curtsy. "My Great Lord Andaris, a pleasure," she murmured after Oliver introduced her. "It is an honour to finally meet you."

Now, she thought, she would wait to see if he would greet her again. For all he was a Baron, it seemed that Oliver was far more lordly than Xander Andaris. Bria returned then with the ale, and Charlie thanked her, taking a deep draught eagerly. Fates, but sometimes politics was exhausting.
word count: 549
Locked Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Duchies”