• Memory • Culture Shock

A young Navyri arrives in Desnind after being lost at sea.

Here is the City in the Trees. Desnind, home of the Immortal Moseke and much more! All IC writings in Desnind go here.
Navyri
Approved Character
Race: Naerikk
Profession: Thief
Renown: 348
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Partner
Templates
Letters
Wealth Tier: Tier 7

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Culture Shock

Desnind, The Medicine House
50th of Vhalar, 679

The Sev’ryn had not paid much attention to her after her journey, nor did Navyri want them to. She had arrived in the city of trees with no knowledge of Desnind, and everything about it was a cultural shock. People bartered and traded, worshiping an Immortal named Moseke. Most curious, there was no slavery, and Navyri found herself sitting at the treehouse window, losing breaks at a time to people watching.

When she had arrived, on the brink of death, her boat had slowed to a gentle stop and with the last bits of strength, she had thrown the anchor and crawled over the side. The water shocked her, and she contemplated allowing it to claim her as it did her father. Dark skinned fishermen in strangely shaped boats (dugout canoes, she would later discover) sailed and plucked her from the shallow waves, clucking in a language that sounded far away as she faded in and out of consciousness.

Between the dark faces and shadow of unconsciousness that wavered at the edge of her vision, the shrieking of strange creatures resounded. They sounded far off; singers announcing her landing. The color green - Navyri had never seen so much of it and tried to focus on the treetops as she was wrapped upon a gurney made of branches and twine, crying out when they touched her scorched skin. Beady eyes peered down at her from the canopy, feathered necks craning and bobbing in interest and then - Navyri’s whimpered in pain, her head rolled to the side, unable to meet their scrutinous gaze.

Tears rolled down her cheeks, streaking her skin; blurry flashes of Curio flying overhead reassured her. She had only just met the avian days before, but she wanted him close. Each jostling of the gurney set a blazing pain across her arms and shoulders and she could hold out no longer. Her eyes closed and allowed sleep to take her.

word count: 331
"At last. It has been too long since I have walked the face of this world. Too long have I been locked there, awaiting my champion to release me. My champion... This is you, daughter of Audrae. You have, whether knowingly or not, released me from my self imprisonment, and are here to fulfill the destiny I have seen written in the tapestry of nature. You, daughter of Audrae's daughter, will be my foothold in this world." - Belaera to The Nightingale, after the 600 arc imprisonment
Navyri
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Partner
Templates
Letters

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Culture Shock

50th of Vhalar, 679

When she finally woke, bandages lined the areas that had been tainted by sun exposure, her body smelling like sweet honey and aloe vera. Besides her bed was wooden bowl filled with water, vibrant rose petals swirling in the clear liquid and a sharp knock drew her eyes to the door. A very old woman stood in the frame, and she gave a wizened smile, “Nyärä tä anou olọravu slosneppe.”

The words were unlike any the Naer had heard and she tried to twist in bed, “I don't,-” she swallowed, her dry throat cracking as it begged for water, “I don't understand.” Navyri gapped openly, her reply indicating more than just her ignorance on the language, but the woman before her. She was… old. Wrinkles we're deep set in her skin - so many that they were impossible to count and her eyes drooped from age. The tattoos on her arms were the only familiar thing, but they had long since bleed and faded that determining the original picture was impossible. And her hair- it was white. What woman had she ever known to have such worn features?

The woman nodded and moved further inside, “You do not speak Xanthean. Do you know where you are?”

Navyri looked up, really taking in the room. It was open and structured differently than what she had ever known, all the colors brighter than she remembered. Outside, branches with waxy leaves rustled from the breeze and the white cotton curtains billowed gently. Unlike the caves of Augiery, there was so much nature - even her bedside table held a fresh bouquet of flowers she had never seen and she stared at it for a moment before slowly shaking her head. What was this place?

“You are in the city of life, child. Desnind, creation of the Immortal Moseke,” the old woman
pandered in to sit on the edge of the bed, and gave a sigh of relief when she did so, “I am Tey’droa, one of the medicine women here. What is your name?”

Desnind? Moseke? “Who… who is Moseke?”

The old woman’s eyes widened and she turned to face the Naer fully, allowing Navyri to see that one of her eyes was a milky white. Blind. It unsettled her and she shied away, suddenly uncomfortable with the intense inspection, “Where are you from, child?”

“A-Augiery.”

The Sevir sat quietly, thoughtful and then pushed off from where she sat, “You are young.”

“Sixteen,” the girl muttered, “My name is Navyri.”

“Where is your mother?” Tey’droa retrieved a pitcher and poured a glass of drinking water, offering it to the Naer, “Did she come with you?”

“No.” Heartbreak began to twist in her chest, the horrid memories of being lost at sea creeping from the recesses of her mind. The glaring sun, the endless ocean… The loneliness. Navyri began to cry before she could stop herself, images of her father’s terrified face when he fell overboard playing in her mind.. It was the last time she would ever see him. Her words were choked and filled with pain, “I am alone.”

word count: 533
"At last. It has been too long since I have walked the face of this world. Too long have I been locked there, awaiting my champion to release me. My champion... This is you, daughter of Audrae. You have, whether knowingly or not, released me from my self imprisonment, and are here to fulfill the destiny I have seen written in the tapestry of nature. You, daughter of Audrae's daughter, will be my foothold in this world." - Belaera to The Nightingale, after the 600 arc imprisonment
Navyri
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Partner
Templates
Letters

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Culture Shock

50th of Vhalar, 679

A new figure materialized by the door and Navyri began to rapidly wipe away her tears, turning her head in hopes that he would not notice her weakness. In his mid thirties, he did not look like Tey’droa at all. He was pale with thin wire spectacles balanced on the end of his nose. He poked his head in with a soft knock and looked between the two females, “Everything going well in here?” Even his common was clear and precise, less accented than the healer’s.

Tey’dora patted Navyri’s leg in comfort and walked towards the entrance, “Ke’u ailewu mänyän sngä’ï naerikk?”

His eyes widened and he shook his head, “There was mention….” his voice faded and he glanced with unsure eyes at Navyri before walking forward, “Excuse me,” Navyri frowned, a pit of worry in her stomach when he spoke, “Do you know how long you’d been sailing before coming here?”

“It was…” How long had it been? Navyri chewed her lip, “The sixteenth.”

“Of Saun?”

“Yes.” Navyri tried to sit up, wincing at the shocking pain, “What day is it?”

“The 50th of Vhalar…” So much time had passed and yet not enough. It had felt like years as she laid baking on the sloop. The man seemed almost as stunned as she was. It was a miracle such a young girl - a babe by Naerikk standards - had been floating upon the sea so long and was still capable of life, “You’ve been stranded all this time?”

“Yes. I was dying and then-” Piercing blue eyes “Delroth,” she said suddenly, “Delroth came.” She lifted her arms, the sheet falling away and exposing the mark that lined the length of her arms. It was as if the sunburn that had been there had been healed, stopping at her shoulders. Navyri knew that had not been the case - She had been burned there the most.. Whatever this was... it was the result of whatever magic he had done, “He filled my sails. He brought me here.” He had kept his promise. “H-he saved me. I-I have to go!”

The young woman was getting frantic, and it seemed both Tey’droa and the man sensed this. He crouched before the bed but not before muttering to himself, “Stranded… Near death… The isolation alone…” the man placed a hand on Navyri’s bed which she instinctively wanted to slap away, “My name is Ivan Sigmun…I am a psychologist and you’ve been through an extraordinary difficulty and need to rest. Please… We want to help you but I need to ask a few questions…”
word count: 452
Navyri
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Partner
Templates
Letters

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Culture Shock

50th of Vhalar, 679

The next breaks were long and difficult, each inquiry tormenting the Naer. She wanted it to all be over; to be left alone to process everything that had happened. The staff at the medicine house whispered about her in their strange tongue- she could tell by their glances, how they turned away when she met their eye. It was frustrating, and she wanted to ask more, but they continued to avoid her questioning, more intent on having their own answered. Ivan was particularly good at this, capable of doing verbal acrobatics that could leave her more confused than before.

It wasn’t until the evening when they finally acquiesced, “Who is Moseke?” she asked again, this time answered with polite enthusiasm. The Immortal of Earth, Stone, Nature, Life. The last detail was particularly curious to Navyri - After all, if such was the case, how had Audrae created the Naerikk? Did she not breathe and sleep like the humanoids also? Navyri looked down at her hands, reminding herself of the illusion. She did not have a body like the… What were they called again?

(Sev’ryn)

Navyri, as tired as she was, wanted to move from the bed and explore this curious new place. So many sounds she had never heard before - mostly the chirping of foreign bugs and birds, but now and again, something haunting bellowed in the distance, and she wanted to know what it was coming from. No matter how much salve the healers put on her, or the amount of rest she indulged in, Ivan was weary to let her go roaming, and adamant she not take on too much stimuli at once. Her mind was in quite the “delicate state”.

(I want out of this room!) she lamented after being denied and left alone, feeling more like a prisoner than a patient. (I want to go home!)

An image flashed through her mind just as Curio flew and landed on the window’s edge. It was of her father’s sloop, dark wood and white sails. Home. Her new home? Pressing the back of head into her pillow, reality mocked her. This was her journey; her curse.

Would she ever belong?

Last edited by Navyri on Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total. word count: 373
Zip
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Professional Scowler
Renown: 0
Character Sheet
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 6

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Culture Shock

Overview

“Delroth came.” Teehee.

You seem a tad dissatisfied with the end product of this particular solo. You shouldn't be. I think you captured the experience of a tiny baby shadow slaver chick who had just escaped from a near-death experience in a foreign, alien world real well.
@silmshadey

XP: 10/10

Loot/Injuries/Overstepping

A nice tan and a -10 to fame for being outed as a shadow slaver chick.

Knowledge

Skill Knowledge
Detection: You Can Learn A Lot By Simply Watching
Detection: How to Tell When You’re Being Whispered About
Discipline: Taking Stressful News in Stride
Discipline: Following Orders You Don’t Want To
Linguistics: Some Words Can’t be Translated
Endurance: The Aftermath of Sunburn

Other Knowledge:
Olọravu Slosneppe: Tey'droa
Olọravu Slosneppe: Ivan Sigmun
Desnind: Incorporates Nature Everywhere
Desnind: The Women Age, The Men are Free
Desnind: Filled with Treehouses
Desnind: The Native Language is Xanthea
Moseke: Earth, Stone, Nature, Life
Moseke: Mother of Sev'ryn
Language: Xanthea
Please make sure your review request is marked as complete and put a review stamp on it!

Your review request is: here
word count: 196
ImageImageImage
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Desnind”