Just A Bit of Light Reading

The capital city of the of Rynmere, here is seated the only King in Idalos.
Seth
Race: Human
Profession: Philosopher
Renown: 30
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Vhalar 72 717; 14th Break

It'd been a long day spent doing nothing but reading at his favorite place in the city, as he'd always done ever since he'd moved here with his own mother. Though she'd always wanted him to help out with the peddling business, Seth had found his interests too invested in books to want any involvement in business. Sure he could've learned how to be a worthy investor much like she was in her time, but too much existed out in the world for one to pass up learning these days. At his table were a stack of books all completely random and disorganized, three or four books found in a pile while two stacks seemed to rest on his right. To the left he only had one or two books stacked, tomes that he'd managed to clear through in just several Breaks. One was more or less just a generalized history of Rynmere in general along with some folklore, he found the stuff on Jacadon and their capacity to be ridden in another as well. Volareon's were just as majestic if not more common among the fabled skyriders of course.

Now he'd been caught up in the machinations of another curiosity, a book on the antics of Rynmere's cultures and the differences in others. There'd been some brief sermons written as well as the lifestyle differences found in neighboring cities, to the south in a place called Rharne they were well known for their rambunctious partying and excessive drinking. It was because Ilaren had been their patron deity since the founding of the city, therefore drinking seemed to be a constant thing the locals there praised. Compared to Andaris that seemed wild and eccentric, given the differences in laws and beliefs found here. A bit of a repetitive thump could be heard as someone seemed to lose their stack of books, one of the scribes had nearly slipped and dropped all their books in the process. The poor clumsy fool wound up being chastised by one of the bookkeepers of the library here, all in hushed whispers why everyone else seemed to return to their own book. Seth included.

It'd been a little mishap and nothing more, no reason to think it so disruptive on his reading time. Interesting. He figured when he read more about the fact Rharne allowed multiple marriages between individuals, something like that definitely seemed rather frowned upon in the region of Rynmere. Well. Now I know where to go to learn more about polygamy. He mused with a gentle shut of the tome as he placed the green book down in front of him, with a glance over to his unread stack he exhaled a sigh through his nostrils. He loved to read. Nothing better to do than just that! Of course he realized how long he'd gone without munching on anything, thus he quietly pulled out a package of loafed bread baked by his mother. With a piece torn from the loaf he nibbled on it casually and rested an cheek on his fist, curious about the other choices he'd managed to grab earlier. He'd already forgotten what exactly they all were, since he'd been caught up in his other books all day.

Guess I'll just have to worry about it when I finish this one. He concluded with a shrug as he tore off another piece of bread, the bit shoved into his mouth as he simply flipped back open to the page where he left off.
Last edited by Seth on Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total. word count: 609
Caius Gawyne
Approved Character
Race: Mixed Race
Profession: Arbitrary Lord
Renown: 164
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Partner
Templates
Letters

Featured

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

"—I think you’re far too eager to find an excuse to reprint books than you are to simply rebind them. Admittedly, both processes are a lot of work, but you clearly prefer ink to glue." The red-headed woman chided him almost coyly, her hushed voice furtive as she leaned casually against Alana’s desk, the Librarian clearly walking the stacks with a visitor else the pair would have found themselves under her scrutinous gaze. If Caius at all noticed the color that teased under the freckles on her cheeks, the young Gawyne was enjoying playing ignorant far too much for his own good,

"No. You can only rebind a book so many times, no matter how talented you claim your sewing may be." She was staring—was there ink on his face again? There was probably ink on his face. He smirked, "Parchment may hold up for a few decades of regular use, but the wear of the seasons’ turning over the cycles eventually makes it brittle while waxed string stays strong."

"Is that so—oh! Bogs!" Penelope jumped at the sound of someone dropping a far too many books, raising a hand as if to put it on Caius’ arm in surprise, only she refrained. Standing, the restoration expert smoothed her dress with both hands instead, "I should go assess the damages." She grinned wryly, nodding to the books the blond noble had in his stained hands, "I’ll leave you to your studies, then, Caius."

Penelope refused to refer to him with the expected terms of respect, aware of his last name, and it was probably because he talked shop with her like a commoner. Or it was because she was aware he didn’t care. He flashed her a smile and watched her retreat toward the stacks where someone had either dropped an entire armful of books or tipped the contents of a shelf onto the floor. Either, of course, was a pain in the arse the young Gawyne was thankful he didn’t have to deal with.

The library was far warmer than was comfortable, Vhalar still too young to be refreshing and cool. The young Gawyne felt the lingering heat of Saun’s passing when outdoors, and inside with the still, dusty air of the library was no better. The northerner looked forward to the shifting of seasons, warm blooded and eager to welcome the chill of the cold cycle, especially now that he’d tasted Viden’s frozen temperatures. With an impatient sigh, Caius realized he’d come to actually do some work for class and not just discuss the finer details of when to rebind a book and when to reprint one.

The two books his ink-stained hands held were interesting enough: required reading for the season’s classes. Blue eyes scanned the various tables occupied by others studying and visiting the library, and the noble printmaker chose a table without children, occupied only by another young man with a stack of books and a snack. Some bread.

The horror.

Had he never been in a library before?

And he was still touching the pages!

Caius gently but obviously thumped his two relatively smaller books down for emphasis on his impending presence, sliding into one of the leathery seats and leaning bony elbows on the table as he leaned forward. For a moment, it seemed as though the young Gawyne was about to share a prophetic secret, so serious was his pale, aquiline expression,

"If Alana the librarian catches you eating in here, she’s liable to revoke your privileges." Caius’ delivery was deadpan, his tone so flat it was hard to tell whether he was teasing or telling the truth, but then his eyes warmed to appear near green, his mixed heritage obvious, and the slightest hint of a lopsided smile creased its way onto his face, "You’d best tuck that away before someone sits here just with the hopes of sharing an entire meal with you instead of reading a book."

Caius was not that someone.
word count: 679
Seth
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates

Milestones

Miscellaneous

He read up on the fact that unlike many of the other major settlements and their own cultures, Rynmere had managed to not only worship the Sacred Seven which had to have been the originals; but it had also been successful in creating it's own practice called Rynlism down the line. "Interesting." He quietly figured as he focused more on the paragraph he'd read over. It is a practice many within Rynmere follow based on what is referred to as the Creed of Silence, based out of commemorating the founding fathers of Rynmere itself.

"Seems like a practical foundation built out of their religion to me." He mused as another seemed to make their presence subtly known. It had been some other guy that looked around his age, a thin and bony sort of man with his hands all inked over. He had to be one of the scribes here perhaps, unless he just so happen to be a writer on the lookout for inspiration? Seth looked from his snack over to Alana, his expression changed to one of surprise. Clearly he hadn't thought of that. He'd been so caught up in his reading that he completely spaced on where he was, and the proper kind of etiquette that would've been expected here.

"Holy cricket you're right." He murmured as he turned the book over to rest face down, his hands awkwardly fumbled with the cloth his bread had been wrapped within. "I-I totally forgot where this was, to think I'd blatantly disregarded the fact this was a public library!" He admitted quietly with disbelief, aware of the fact he'd totally spaced out on such manners. "Thank you, for bringing that up." He flashed a bit of an awkward grin to the boy across from him, before he flipped his book back over and rested it in front of him. The wrapped bread had been tucked within his coat safe and sound, no longer a risky liability to his reading privileges.

"Y-you work here then? I noticed your hands a moment ago... which is why I thought to ask." Seth subtly pointed to the guy's hands and sheepishly scratched the surface of his neck. "Sorry, probably should've introduced myself. My name's Sethein Albertson, but I typically go be Seth." He lowly chimed in with an awkward wave, a soft smile pressed on his lips for 'friendly appearances'.
word count: 410
Caius Gawyne
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Partner
Templates
Letters

Featured

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Caius laughed, louder than was polite at the library, the wry grin on his face revealing he might have enjoyed putting the other young man in an awkward spot, "Sarding hell, I'm mostly just messing with you. Alana may be pissed, but I don't work here, no—" He lowered his voice in a conspiratory with a lopsided, mischievous sort of grin, "—I'm just here for the books and to make Penelope blush, if I'm honest."

The young Gawyne rolled his narrow shoulders in a shrug, always enjoying his conversations with the woman whose job it was to restore books, for he respected her superior skill in the book arts with only a small streak of envy. His bookbinding talents were still very much in the works, having found more of his passion in printmaking than the tedious work of actually binding printed materials into books. Their common interests and skills made her easy to talk to, however, and the fact that he could make her giggle stupidly over the most mundane of subjects kept him entertained on dull, long days when he'd slept far too little and read far too much.

"My hands? Bogs." Caius' now amber gaze strayed from the other man's face to the black ink under his finger nails and he smirked, "I'm a printmaker at the Rynmere Gazette and a student of the Arts and Religion both at the University—" He glanced at the book the man had before he returned Seth's smile at his somewhat shy introduction, hoping his explanation of what he did would in turn explain why it was a daily challenge to live a life without some stray smudge of ink or grease somewhere on his person,

"—Caius Gawyne. No hard feelings, right?" He offered his name in exchange, not putting his title as Lord in front of it, however. He didn't sarding care to use it and it wasn't as though his House name went unrecognized across Rynmere. Gawyne wasn't the name of a Commoner, after all. It was clear he wasn't at all awkward or shy, though truth be told, he wouldn't have defined himself as comfortably social either. Not that he was judging the other young man yet, but the northern noble found himself curiously weighing his worth based on whatever he was reading, "I'm here for some research today. I've found the Religion section of the Andaris Library to be a little less, uh, biased by Rynlism than the University's, but it could be I'm the one whose biased."

He chuckled, shifting in his seat to rest his hands on his two books, long-limbed self making ready to stand in case he'd interrupted Seth in his studies, "I'm mostly just an arsehat, though, so keep those books clean, ser. I'm going to venture you're a student as well?"
word count: 492
Seth
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates

Milestones

Miscellaneous

At the laughing of his newly acquainted bookworm, Seth's expression dropped to a somberly awkward demeanor as he just watched the guy. So... he was just joking? "Oh." So then what was he suppose to say in return? Did other's find jokes like this funny? He pretended a short laugh just a little, the corner of his lip turned into a grin as he feigned humor. "Right. Funny man you are." The guy definitely had an unusual sense of humor to say the least, if he enjoyed picking random fun at others in such a way.

Here for the books and making 'Penelope' blush he says, certainly sounded like the motive of a joker to Seth anyways. "Oh I gotcha, here to flirt around some while you browse books." The reiteration of the man's business was nothing more than affirmation of his vacant observations, as Seth found himself grossly entangled with his book as well as this man's humor. "Oh..." Seth tried hard not to let his face flush red then. "So you work with the writer's then." He had to admit both guesses seemed pretty plausible before, but being a printmaker was also something he didn't even consider.

"Nice to meet you." With his lip tucked into a friendly smirk once more, Seth managed to avoid adding in the words 'I guess' at the end of that sentence. It would've probably sounded rude anyways therefore unnecessary, since Caius seemed like the 'friendly' sort of person. "Research huh? I've been doing some of that myself. Haven't really studied in Rynmere's University that much though, kinda hard when it doesn't compare to Viden's own library." Now that he thought about what Caius's research topic was Seth looked back at his book, as well as the few others that he had lying around him. "Hmm. Huh?" His train of thought seemed interrupted by Caius again and the man's own observations.

"Oh no, I mean- Sorta am but not here in Andaris. My father's a philosopher in Viden but I'm visiting my mother right now, been trying to help her out since she's wanting to run her own bakery." Seth had to remind himself to remain calm and breathe, not to get so flustered about the details like he usually did. "Speaking of which this is actually some of her bread she baked this morning. That is, if you wanted to try a little." He offered as he slipped the wrapped cloth out of his pocket and placed it on the table. Since Caius was here and all Seth didn't see the harm in him having a little.

"Y'know, I've been reading up on Rynmere and it's antics actually. So far the culture seems heavily set upon the system it's founders developed, but I'm starting to enjoy the principles they built upon it." Was that his way of offering a hand maybe? "Not sure if it's what you're lookin' for but maybe this is the book you need?"
word count: 520
Caius Gawyne
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Partner
Templates
Letters

Featured

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Well, this was sarding awkward. Caius did his level best not to squirm in the seat he'd taken without asking, made uncomfortable by Seth's overly serious nature or perhaps by how the other young man wasn't entirely thrilled by his presence. He'd interrupted, and while it was true he didn't really approve of the consumption of food around old tomes, he'd been guilty more than once in his life, too,

"The writers at the Gazette? Sort of. I just run the press. I don't do any of the writing. It's probably for the best, that—" His sense of humor was obviously not a universally funny one, more sarcasm and bile than anything worth actually laughing at.

Finally, something in sarding common:

"Viden!" The young Gawyne hissed excitedly, attempting to keep his voice at a volume that was at least somewhat respectable within the library proper, "I spent an arc there studying at the Academy before I decided to continue my studies here in Rynmere. There's no library that compares, except for the library of my House, the Gawynes." He couldn't help it, the shameless plug of his birthright, though the tone of his voice wasn't really as boastful as his words could be construed, the knowledge-hungry noble stating a fact that in his mind all people should simply recognize as truth. Second to the Eídisi, to Yvithia's own children, the Gawynes held the collective wisdom and history of Rynmere with the most meticulous of care,

"Sarding mild weather here, then, for you." He smirked, remembering how cold even he'd been despite his northern home. Seth was offering him some bread, perhaps as a gesture of kindness, and Caius gave a gallant attempt at being low key about it, nodding his thanks, "Is your father a professor at the Academy? Philosophy is a worthy path, though these trials wisdom isn't always appreciated as it should be."

That was the Gawyne talking again, and the young man smiled, his blue eyes warming into more of a green. He eyed the book Seth was showing him, "Rynmere's antics? That's a decent summary in there, and while I, too was raised alongside Rynlism, my family is proof that Immortals are real ... in a way. I'm actually working on some research about Treid and your homeland this season for my assistant position, although my professor is always keen on pointing out the more negative influences of Immortals on mortal society. I'm hoping to give him some good bits to chew on the opposite."

His grin was defiant as if he truly believed he had something worth proving to his professor with his careful research, aware that he'd glazed over without explaining what, exactly, made his family proof that Immortals weren't just stories,

"As for Rynlism, well, I don't think it should be a sarding religion—every one of the Seven were mostly mortal. Mostly" Warren Gawyne was a mortalborn, however, which was about as close as anyone got,

"Your mom's a decent baker. Where's her shop? I'm a sarding terrible cook and walk through mid-town for work, so I'm always open for places to visit." Caius admitted with a roll of his narrow shoulders, attempting to make all that was awkward less. He didn't really have anywhere to go other than to wander the stacks in search of one more book, and was more than happy to make small talk with the somewhat awkward other man unless he had better things to do. Words would eventually run their course, either way.

word count: 615
Seth
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates

Milestones

Miscellaneous

"Press work, gotcha." Seth duly noted as he seemed to pay closer attention, so far this Caius guy seemed well engaged in his own sort of confidence. Maybe he was just naturally in his element here, happily able to crack somewhat funny jokes when they hardly seemed fitting for the right moment. Or was that just Seth failing to register when to laugh? He definitely needed to show a bit more reciprocation, which is why he deemed it necessary to make an effort. Thankfully Viden seemed an easy topic to discuss, albeit partly involved with the story of his father more or less.

"Yeah? I'd like to see that." Seth admitted with a soft smile that seemed a little more natural this time, he did after all enjoy the aspect of reading in libraries of grandeur. Books just seemed to be the perfect getaway for him, they offered so much if one was willing to spend time reading them. "Y-yeah I guess." He actually chuckled a bit with the remark to the weather comment. "Viden's always cold so winter's don't seem that big of a deal here." Then there it was, the question about his father. A topic he should've been able to answer directly, while instead he seemed a little puzzled at the query. "Oh no. I wouldn't quite say professor, although he could probably teach a few courses."

"Far as I know," He quietly drummed a couple fingers atop the surface of his current page, "He's heavily into research for the Academy. One of the more ambitious scholars I'd like to think." Yet Seth didn't really elaborate all too well, seeing as how his father likely intended to become a professor there. No. Seth knew his father had plans greater than just teaching, he wanted to be an ambassador for the Academy. Wanted to be a smarter than the lot which attended the place, and also wanted his own son to be just as smart one day as well. "Tue words there," He commented with another soft grin, "I think people don't take some of the lessons found in books as serious as they should. Some of this stuff can actually be useful to know later on actually!" Was he trying to hard now? There was enthusiasm to say the least, maybe he was off to a good start with that.

"Well I've not read up on Immortals that much, but there are some fundamentals flaws to Rynlism. Compared to Immortals the Founders were merely 'saints' of a sort to Rynmere, more or less portrayed to resemble ideals that the individual houses embodied in their traditions." He surmised with a shrug, his eyes more focused on the book than on Caius when he spoke. "They don't go as far back as the Immortals do, so validation of their origin can lead up to a decent start in any argument." Or so he thought to be the case anyways, quite honestly he would've preferred to read up more on that to be sure.

"My mom? Oh. She doesn't run a shop just yet, right now she's only small time with her baking. Been saving up though to hopefully get a start, I only sometimes help her when she needs a delivery or some shopping done though." Seth almost felt sheepish again, not sure how his mother seemed an interesting topic to discuss. "She's pretty good at it yeah, just hasn't opened her own bakery is all." It would be interesting to think of his mother running her own bakery, but when he thought about how busy he'd probably be then the interest fell quickly. "Besides I'm too caught up in reading all the time, trying to become a scholar or maybe even a researcher as well." He admitted with a wry smile, unaware that the subject would now become his own personal interests.
word count: 664
Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Race: Prophet
Renown: 666
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Pending!
word count: 1
~~Red in hoof and claw... ~~

Family visiting. Send help!
Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Race: Prophet
Renown: 666
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Caius

Overview

OMG - he was eating a sandwich in a library? I could so feel Caius' pain as he saw it. And the thought of someone joining him for a meal there? Ergh. Shame the thread was abandoned, it was an interesting interaction of what seemed to be two very different characters.

XP: 15

Fame: None

Loot

None

Knowledge

Bookbinding: Limitations of rebinding
Bookbinding: Knowing when to reprint or when to rebind
Bookbinding: Glue becomes brittle over time
Intimidation: Referencing a higher authority
Intimidation: A dry sense of humor is often misinterpreted
Seduction: Finding a common interest
Rhetoric: Casual small talk with strangers
Rhetoric: Self-deprecating apologies

Non-Skill Knowledge:
NPC: Penelope
PC: Seth Albertson
Seth: When you are ready / want to, put your part of this up for review and we'll get to it in turn!
word count: 138
~~Red in hoof and claw... ~~

Family visiting. Send help!
Locked Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Andaris”