• Closed • [Hall Of Power]Walks With Wolves

Kali visits Kura as advised by Karem

34th of Saun 717

Once an isolated and dying township, an influx of academics, adventurers and thrill seekers have made Scalvoris Town their home. From scholars' tea shops to a new satellite campus for Viden Academy, this is an exciting place to visit or make your home!

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Kali'rial
Approved Character
Race: Sev'ryn
Profession: Hunter for Cally's (Expert)
Renown: 167
Character Sheet
Partner
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

[Hall Of Power]Walks With Wolves

34th Saun, 717, Morning

It wasn't difficult to find Kura, at least not with Sarkis leading the way. The Sev'ryn had to almost jog to keep up with him as they moved through the streets of Scalvoris Town. The large grey wolf could sense her Velduris mark and was clearly following a very defined path through the township, taking them towards the Element Halls and nearly quite literally into the Hall Of Power. Following quickly, the brunette huntress hissed at the canine in her mind.

"Slow down Sarkis! We can't just barge in here unannounced or uninvited." Pausing, he looked back at her with bright orange eyes and a tilt to his head.

"Why not? You wish to see Kura and she is here. Simple enough to me. Wolves aren't constricted by your curious customs. Besides, her own companion has probably known we've been coming since we started." Tongue hanging out of his jaw with a silent lupine laugh, the wolf disappeared through the doors, leaving Kali'rial standing outside with a muttering of Xanthean curses.

Taking the steps to the building, the young southerner approached the reception desk and nodded respectfully to the person there.

"Greetings and good trial to you. I have been advised I need to speak with a Kura Mareth? This was the place I was told I could find her?" Glancing around the room, she made a slight face of humble shame.

"Apologies, there was a..er...wolf that passed through here as well. Do you know where he may have...never mind." Sending her thoughts out to Sarkis, the huntress was greeted by his panting tongue and soft furred head rubbing up against her leg. He promptly sat at her feet, as though waiting for something.

What that was, she was not being told. Paitence was the hunters virtue, and so she simply waited.

Either way, the brunette was at the mercy of the receptionist or the wolf. Hopefully the people here weren't too put out by sudden visits of the canine kind, or random barefoot Sev'ryn in their offices.

What would she even say to this Kura when she met her. Hi, Karem blessed me yesterday, oh and by the way she also dropped your name to help me figure this all out. Yeah...that was going to come out as weirdly from her mouth as it sounded in her head. Perhaps it would be best just to start with hello and go from there.
Last edited by Kali'rial on Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:00 am, edited 3 times in total. word count: 419
Common | Xanthean
[album]10861[/album]
Kura Wolfsdotter
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Council Member
Renown: 765
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Walks With Wolves

Kura growled at her paperwork. King Cassander of Rynmere was getting married, there hadn't been time for a message from Rharne to get back to her, and she wasn't certain that Viden or Desnind had even gotten her letters. She really needed some staff, but for right now, she was trying to put Scalvoris on the world map on her own. Thus it was that it was with a mixture of annoyance and relief that she greeted Phelan's news that another wolf-walker was headed there way. "And I think they're new to the pack." he said, his tone cheerful. She disliked being distracted from her work, but she couldn't deny that a change of focus would be a welcome reprieve. She waited until Phelan told that they had arrived, then left her office and headed out to meet her guests.

The receptionist, having met Phelan before when the wolf had decided he needed to introduce himself, was trying to figure out if she should disturb Kura or not with this random visitor. She was saved, much to her apparent gratitude, by the appearance of the Mortalborn. "Hello there. I'm Kura Mareth." she said, grinning and holding out her hand to Kali as a greeting, before she paused and took a closer look at her. "Weren't you out there on the docks when those creatures attacked the harbor? You did fine work that day. Velduris suits you." she said, grinning at her fellow wolf-walker. Turning, she led Kali to her office where Phelan was laying in front of the fireplace.

The big grey wolf looked up as the new pack members arrived and nodded his head at Kali and Sarkis. "Oh, it's the one from the beach. Nice to see a sort-of familiar face." his voice sounded cheerful in Kura's head. Then he turned to look at Sarkis. "So how's it feel being bound to one of the Blessed? It's a good feeling, isn't it?" he said cheerfully in full canine speak.

Kura glanced at the wolves with a grin, then turned her attention to Kali. "So, we didn't get properly introduced at the harbor. You know my name, but I'm afraid I haven't been told yours. I gather Karem told you to come find me?" she said, her tone curious.
word count: 398
Please send all PM's to my Basilisk account.
Kali'rial
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Partner

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

34th Saun, 717

Kali'rial turned as a woman entered the room, offering a nod and shaking her hand. As Kura introduced herself, the Sev'ryn smiled a little as she scanned the brunette's familiar face. Her eyes were a piercing blue, and were clearly wolfish. Definitely the right person.

"Well met Kura Mareth. Indeed, I was at the harbour. I remember you too. Very handy with an axe and a bow." At the mention of her mark, Kali couldn't help but grin in return.

"Thank you. Admittedly I wasn't even aware there was such a mark. My Immortal knowledge is mostly limited to Moseke and Lisirra. I mean, I'd heard of Karem, but only in passing. To have her notice me..." The huntress shook her head in amazement, following the blue eyed Kura into her office. Immediately Kali noticed the wolf by the fireplace, nodding back at him even as Sarkis brushed past her to stretch deeply before sitting beside his pack-mate.

"It's a fantastic feeling my friend. I feel like we will only grow stronger together. However.." Laying down with a huff, chin on his paws, the fiery eyed canine stared at the Sev'ryn.

"She lives on a boat. A boat." His tone spoke volumes of confusion, as if to say 'who lives in a boat? Honestly'.

The southerner turned back to her fellow wolf-walker with a small bow of respect.

"Kali'rial, daughter of Desnind. And yes, she did. We were...somewhere beautiful and amazing with a great wolf and a golden stag, something I will never forget the sight of. After she marked me, Karem suggested I seek you out to understand this Velduris more. To understand it all." Kali smiled again, amber eyes bright with the memory.

"I can sense prey creatures, and those who are weak in combat or can be easily intimidated. Prey...people...I suppose? And of course, I have Sarkis." She nodded at the wolf with a warm grin, before turning back to Kura with a small frown.

"What I don't understand is...what now? Karem suggested I must hunt out evil, and I know what this means, but where do I begin? What does my mark do? Is there more to it than what has already been gifted?" Pausing, the brunette shook her head.

"Sorry, that's a lot of questions in one go. I'm still just getting used to it all. Even just having a wolf in my head, it's amazing and exciting but also so strange and new." Looking at the wolves, Kali'rial smiled again.

"Have you been marked long?" It must have been longer than herself for Karem to suggest the woman by name, but the brunette couldn't help but ask.
word count: 467
Common | Xanthean
[album]10861[/album]
Kura Wolfsdotter
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Kura smiled at Kali's compliment on her weapon skills, but otherwise didn't comment on it. "Traditional Sev'ryn upbringing, I'd guess. Karem isn't too well known in Southern Idalos, I don't think. Cierel's daughters, one or the other, dominate that region, and so other Immortals aren't as well known." she said, her tone introspective. In truth, she believed that such a lack of education was part of the reason for the rampant zealotry that many Immortals inspired in their followers. Of course, she couldn't exactly complain about zealots, being on herself, so she didn't air that particular thought. "Skilled hunters, especially ones that hunt evil, always come to her notice." was all she said.

Phelan tilted his head to the side at Sarkis's comment about the boat. "Who lives on a boat? I mean, those sink, yeah?" he said, before letting out a sigh. "I've come to the conclusion that Wolf-Walkers are just weird in general. Mine spends as much time hunting thoughts and ideas as she does something I can sink my teeth into, at least outside of when she's hunting for food." he said, his tongue hanging out in a canine laugh. "Still though, could be worse. At least her house doesn't leak."

At Kali's explanation of her marking, Kura nodded. "The Spectral Forest. It's her home, or at leas it's part of it. I've never seen it's like on Idalos, though I've seen one that comes close." she said, smiling at the memory. Then she listened quietly as Kali'rial explained her questions and curiosities about her new Blessing. "It is exciting to first be brought into the Pack, I'll agree. That feeling of...belonging is hard to explain, but it's amazing. As for how long I've been a Wolf-Walker, closing in on about two years now. More to the point, however, I was raised among Wolf-Walkers of every level, so there's very little about the Blessing I don't know." she said, grinning slightly.

"But yes, Pack Bond and Sense of Prey. That's what the the bond between you and Sarkis, and that ability to detect prey, are called. You'll also likely notice a slight boost in one of your hunting or animal-based abilities. And yes, there is...so much more to Velduris than what you have right now. As you progress, you'll be able to tell when your prey is aware of you, or be able to mark prey with your bite so that you can hunt them across continents. You'll be able to survive more difficult conditions easier, and if Karem should deem you worthy of more advanced powers, you'll be able to gain lupine forms of your own."

Then Kura gave her a long look at the question about how to start hunting evil. "As for how to start, that's not something I can tell you. That's not something anyone can tell you. For the answer to that question, think about when you hunt. How do you begin any hunt?" she said, her tone calm, but intent. It was much the same tone Karem used when asking those "deeper meaning" questions.
word count: 552
Kali'rial
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Partner

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

34th Saun, 717

Sarkis lifted his head to join Phelan's laughter, delighted the other wolf could appreciate the point of view he had on said boat.

"This one hunts beasts for the most part, but she does hunt something else too. A...familiar. The other half of her soul, a spirit too. I'm not sure, but I can sense it within her. A pull, away from Scalvoris, but no clear path." Yawning, the wolf looked at his bonded and panted happily.

"I am excited for the hunt, but not for the journey."

As Kura named the Spectral Forest, the Sev'ryn couldn't help but smile with the shared memory. Indeed, Kali'rial had never seen anything in her travels, it made sense that Karem made her home there. Given half the chance the huntress would as well. The blue eyed woman's comment about her time as a wolf-walker had the brunette intrigued.

"You lived in a pack then, of wolf-walkers? That must be amazing. Surrounded by people who truly understand the bond and can guide your learnings. And the hunting must be fantastic." She said with a gleam in her eye. The idea of a group that were that close both in spiritual connection and basic ideology, it was truly a pack situation.

Nodding as Kura explained her current abilities, the newly minted wolf-walker frowned.

"How do I progress, as you say? Is it similar to say, learning how to shoot a bow? Do I practice with my abilities, or is it more like being marked. Hunting, tracking, proving to The Great Huntress that I'm worthy of progression?" The idea that she could do even more with this mark was a welcome concept, imagine being able to shift into lupine form. Sarkis already surpassed any skill she had just by being, his nature and background a natural boost. To run like him, have his sense of smell or hearing...it was a wonderful daydream. Coming back to the conversation, Kali noticed the look Kura gave her, and the carefully worded question.

Not unlike Karem's way of speaking.

Meeting the woman's gaze, the huntress gave it a moment of thought.

"I look for tracks, marks. Signs that prey is nearby or even if it exists at all. I ask the locals about the area, and the game. I look for rumors and tales, for sometimes the one that got away isn't always just a tall tale." As she spoke, Kali slowly smiled, realising that everything she just said was her own answer.

"Okay, I see. Perhaps I thought there was something I might be missing. But, everything I do now can be applied to this. The tracks and marks might not be physical. They may be stories or myths, maybe text in books too. It really is, quite literally, a hunt." The Sev'ryn seemed more relaxed, more connected now within herself. It was like a personal barrier she'd perceived was gone. It felt...well it felt right.
word count: 509
Common | Xanthean
[album]10861[/album]
Kura Wolfsdotter
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Phelan looked over his shoulder at Kura when Sarkis mentioned Kali's familiar, then turned back to the other wolf. "Kura hunts for her familiar as well, but doesn't seem to have a directional pull. Thing is, she seems to directly hate her familiar. I'm somewhat worried about what will happen if she does find it." he said, before shaking his head, making his ears flap. "Well, at least it won't be boring. Never is with her, really. Ghosts, Immortals, murderers, thieves, she always finds something to keep the days lively." he said, his own panting mirroring Sarkis.

Kura grinned slightly as Kali asked if she had lived in a pack of Wolf-Walkers. "Not exactly. My parents were both Wolf-Walkers, yes, but they both worked out of the palace in Korlasir. Serial killers, traitors, spies, they hunted prey that threatened a great many people at once. Karem is Empress Raskalarn's closest ally and friend though, so there's a lot of Wolf-Walkers in the Eternal Empire. But it wasn't just them, there were soldiers, politicians, doctors, all manner of people. But they did all share the same goal, making sure that the people of the empire could live their lives without fear that someone would come and destroy everythin' they loved and worked for." she said, before her grin widened. "But yes, the huntin' was amazing." she said with a grin.

As for the progression question, Kura could only shrug. "Progression comes differently to each person. There's no clear path to progression, so all I can advise is hunt evil to the best of your ability." she said, giving a wry smile. She waited quietly while Kali'rial worked out the answer to her own question, then smiled at her. "Self-discovery of a concept is the surest path to mastery of it." she said, her tone once again mirroring Karem. Then she grinned again. "You figured it out faster than I did, I had a tendency to over complicate things when I was younger."

After a moment, Kura seemed to ponder something then nodded to herself. "Here's something to consider, on your hunts. Understandin' this will make you that much more effective of a hunter." she said, her tone intent, but again mirroring Karem's own tone. "What is it that makes us hunters what we are? What makes us different than most?" she said, before looking at Sarkis. "Don't you be givin' her the answer." fixing the wolf with her icy gaze. Phelan let his tongue hang out in another wolfish laugh.
word count: 435
Kali'rial
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Partner

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

34th Saun, 717

Lifting his head with ears perked high and a look of confusion, Sarkis glanced at the other wolf-walker for a moment, before looking back at Phelan.

“I’m no expert on this familiar business, but I think it’s dreadfully important they find them. I think it’s actually a matter of life and death. You might be worth talking to her about it, or getting her to talk to Kali’rial about it.” Making a small bark of surprise in the back of his throat, the tawny eyed wolf shook his head.

“Ghosts? Suppose bonded come in all shapes and sizes then!”

Kali’rial nodded as she listened to Kura explain the Empire, fascinated to learn more about the Immortal that had chosen her. It was something she wanted to do more of, to understand the Great Huntress better and live her life in Her name. As the blue eyed wolf-walker cryptically acknowledged her own self-assessment, the brunette couldn’t help but feel that same sense of reading between the lines that she felt with Karem. It dew her attention and made her listen to the next words carefully.

What is it that makes us hunters what we are? What makes us different than most?

Sarkis cocked his head at Kura with a look that almost seemed feigned shock that she would even suggest such a thing, before joining his pack-mates laughter and watching Kali as she turned her gold eyes on him.

“Gee thanks.” She said with a chuckle, before taking a moment to ponder the question.

“I don’t know if this is right, but I feel like it’s our dedication to the hunt. Our devotion to the trial and the tracks. Our focus to push aside distractions and follow the target till the very end. A hunter would be no good if they gave up at the first hurdle, so we push on. We pay attention to the smallest details and remain on point till the finale. We also respect our game, or rather, respect their abilities. Study and understand them. If you don’t respect the oh-deer and his armoured skin, then you are more likely to end up in the end of his antlers.” The brunette looked at Kura with a sort of smirk.

“It’s funny, you sound like Her with these comments.” It must be something those who had served Karem for a while all picked up - at least that’s what Kali could only assume.
word count: 423
Common | Xanthean
[album]10861[/album]
Kura Wolfsdotter
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Phelan blew air through his nose when Sarkis suggested that Kura speak to Kali'rial about her familiar. "She's already talked to at least one other Sev'ryn about it. Not sure if it changed her mind about anything, though we came to Scalvoris pretty shortly afterward. That was mostly down to Faith's wedding, though." he said, before grinning at Sarkis's comment about ghosts. "Oh, they do indeed. Some more than others." he said, laughing as he said it.

Kura wasn't paying much attention to the wolves, her attention instead focused entirely on Kali. The young huntress was giving her question the attention and focus it deserved, and when the answer came, Kura smiled slightly. "Not a bad answer. There's more to it, however, more that makes us different. A skilled soldier or bounty hunter is as able to push aside distractions and focus entirely on their goals as well as we can. Skilled thieves and assassins respect and study their prey, for their very lives depend on it. These are all important pieces of what makes a hunter, but they aren't the core of what makes us different." she said, before pausing when Kali said she sounded like Karem.

Phelan perked up at that as well, his tongue lolling out in a grin. Kura gave the wolf a steady look and he just continued to grin at her, but didn't say anything. "Long association, perhaps. I'm older than I appear, and it has benefits." she said, not wanting to out herself as a mortalborn in the middle of the council building. "I appreciate the compliment, though." she said, smiling. "Here's somethin' that may help you reach the core, and don't worry if you can't answer immediately. Took me a fair bit myself to come up with the answer. But consider why you choose to follow the path of the hunter? What keeps you on the trail when there's so many easier ways to live." she said, her tone intent, but lacking the deeper meaning of her earlier questions. It appeared she was being utterly straight this time.
word count: 360
Kali'rial
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Partner

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

34th Saun, 717

Kali'rial contemplated Kura's comment. Older than she appeared? Curious thing that. The huntress didn't often think on things like someones age compared to their looks, but the more she thought about it, the more it made her think.

Just how old was the woman?

The question caught the Sev'ryn off guard for a moment, and she took her time to reply, thinking for a long while.

"To start with, it wasn't my choice. My grandparents raised me as a hide trader, but I believe Poppa saw quickly that I was more skilled with the bow than I was with the tanning racks. He...encouraged my skill in the weapon, and in turn I became our hunter. Granted, at first it might have been a requirement of the lifestyle, but then...it was more than that. Hunting gave me freedom, away from the unrelenting and unwavering rules they had set. It let me run free in the wild with my own thoughts and feelings. I felt, I feel free when I hunt, as though nothing could hold me back. I also feel closer to Moseke when I am on the trail, there's so many things you have to consider. The ground under your feet, the foilage around your body, the wind carrying your scent...you have to use all your senses." Pausing, she smiled, glancing at the wolves as they spoke together on wolfish things.

"It's true, there are easier ways to live, but nothing good is ever easy." She echoed the words that the Biqaj had spoken to her seasons ago, before turning her amber gaze back to the older woman.

"How could I walk away from something that has given my very life purpose? Something that makes my blood pump and my heart race? I couldn't stop if I tried." The southerner narrowed her eyes a little as she thought.

"What drives you, if I might ask? What keeps you on the trial?" Kura didn't come across as a hunter of the forests, but more of the political and military state of affairs. The idea intruiged the huntress, giving her food for thought so to speak.
word count: 369
Common | Xanthean
[album]10861[/album]
Kura Wolfsdotter
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Kura leaned back in her chair, listening to Kali'rial's explanation of why she was a hunter and not some other profession, smiling slightly at the end. "You've touched on the core of what makes us different from others, there. And it's a good reason to hunt besides." she said with a laugh. Kali's question, however, while unexpected was not unwelcome and she laughed slightly. "Yes, I suppose I don't look much like a traditional hunter, sitting on a rulin' council and workin' at managin' foreign affairs. You wouldn't be the first to be curious about it." she said, grinning slightly.

Then her expression turned somber. "But just huntin' on our own, or even in packs, our effectiveness is limited. We can hunt evil itself, limit and tie it down, but we cannot remove it. That requires something more." she said, before shrugging. "I hunt an impossible dream, in a way. A world made safe, where no one has to worry about bandits, thieves, kidnappers, where people can go to bed knowing they'll have enough food to live on, where children don't have to grow up in chains." she said, before giving a sort of melancholy sigh. "Impossible to truly achieve though. Crime will always exist, there will always be underground slavery rings. There will always be evil, those who seek to profit off the suffering of others, those who hurt others because they enjoy it." she said, clearly thinking on old memories.

Then she shook herself and looked back at Kali'rial and smiled. "But while I can't erradicate evil completely, I can make it a whole lot trickier to be evil. Make the job easier on police, soldiers, hunters, who then have to track the blackguards down." she said, before picking up a piece of paper off her desk. "From here in my office, I can tell what's happenin' all across the island. This, for instance, reports there's been some trouble with one of the logging companies up in Darbyton. Something about a quality drop. Could be as simple as a change in management, but could also be someone deliberately trying to ruin the company to line their own pockets. Granted, I can't react to it myself, but if it looks to be enough of a threat, I can have someone with more freedom to move about, like yourself or even Phelan, go to see if it's a threat to the people of Darbyton, or even Scalvoris as a whole."

Kura set the paper back down and shrugged. "I don't get the visceral thrill from hunting in person that way, though I still do my own huntin' in my free time, but I can hunt evil and it's practitioners on a much larger scale than I could otherwise. Foreign alliances extend my range even further. Once those are in place, I could learn of evil being done as far away as Rharne, Ne'haer, or Desnind. And once proper contacts for it are set up, I can have it dealt with as well." she said, shrugging. "And by huntin'[ in this way, I get closer to my impossible goal than I ever could by stayin' on the front lines." she said, grinning slightly again.
word count: 551
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Scalvoris Town”