• Closed • [Venora] The slave-girl, the lich and the Venoras....

15th of Saun 716

The seven Duchies of Central Rynmere and their respective baronies, cities, towns, villages, and landmarks each overseen by a Duke of one of the seven noble families and ultimately controlled by the King of Rynmere.
Faith Augustin Champion
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Fanatical Philanthropist
Renown: 2250
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

[Venora] The slave-girl, the lich and the Venoras....

15th Saun, 716
Twenty minutes past the middle of the night
It was a strange pair which had woken up Alistair just a few moments before. His cousin Tristan, of course, but also his cousin's slave. Faith had met Lord Venora previously. He had allowed her to sit in on one of his classes, which was fascinating for her. Whilst Master woke up Lord Venora, Faith had prepared some coffee in her usual quiet and meticulous fashion and she had handed one cup to Master and then offered the other to Lord Venora. Then, at Master's bidding, she had started to speak, telling the story. She had a split lip and a bruise on her face which was turning into what would become a beautiful black eye, but she was lucid and wide awake.

"The slaves have been talking about a noblewoman who is held captive. A number of them had whispered of it. They said her name is Elyna. The gazette says that Lady Elyna Burhan is to be wed to Marcus Krome, son of Malcolm Krome and that she is with child" Master held the parchment in his hands, a copy of the gazette. "I knew that I had to tell Master, so I purposely knocked over a bucket near one of the supervisors so that he would punish me" she waved a hand to in front of her face "He did, which included assigning me to night duties. But my lip would not stop bleeding where he beat me, so he sent me to cook. She had the gazette and did not believe I could read. I read that part of it to her to prove it and she said that they are to be wed in Krome, that it was a shame that the lady should be held like that." A much more succinct summary than she had given Master, but it was the general gist of it.

She glanced at Master then to make sure that she had included everything and then remembered the final thing "And it seems strange, but I dreamt of Malcolm.. I mean, Lord Krome and I believe his wife, Lady Burhan last night. She had an injury to her leg, her right leg was bleeding" she explained. "And... she dropped her wedding ring. Lord Krome was telling her that he loves her. Like there was trouble" she finished what she had to say and then she fell silent for a brief moment. She wanted to say more, she wanted to say that she wanted to help, that she could be useful. She was quite sure that she could be useful. She had found this out, after all, and she also knew that slaves were often overlooked. "If she is behing held captive, by a noble, then she will be allowed servants.. and slaves?" she said to Master, looking at him with clarity in her silver grey eyes. She wanted to help - and she could tell herself that it was only for Master as much as she liked, but Faith was too honest an individual to do anything other than know that she would help in this if she could anyhow. Because of Malcolm, of course. Many women might consider this to be an opportunity, but Faith was not at all like that. She was fierce and scrappy but at her core she was loyal and she would no more hurt Malcolm than she would deny her slavery. It just wasn't her way. But thankfully, Master seemed to be keen on trying to rescue Lady Burhan, so Faith was pleased to be able to serve him with this, or to offer to.
word count: 613
This PC is dead. See this thread for details.
Tristan Venora
Approved Character
Profession: Mad Scientist Socialite
Renown: 934
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

"I hope that Alistair is home", Tristan whispered to his slave as they ascended the stairs to the tower where his cousin slept. Upon Faith’s suggestion the young noble had put on a clean pair of pants and a shirt rather than visiting the future duke in a dressing gown and his underwear. "I don’t want to have to walk down all those steps again and look for him in the village. If he’s not at home, he’s usually working, and I don’t want to interrupt him when he’s up to his elbows in his patient’s entrails."

"It would be fun to see him bloody and sweaty when he’s usually so proper and dignified, but the patient might not appreciate our visit."
Realizing that it might be slightly inappropriate to talk about blood and entrails when Elyna’s life was in danger (when he had become so grown up and boring?) , he fell silent and simply walked in front of Faith. He needed to exercise more, he decided. His night time activities apparently weren’t enough.

Finally they stood in front of Alistair’s door. Tristan briefly considered asking Faith to knock and wake his cousin up so that he would scream at her instead, but then Alistair might decide to punish her, and they would lose valuable time. So he sighed in resignation and raised a hand. It was best to get the unpleasant part over with so that they could move on to the really important things.

"Thank you, Faith", he said as she handed him a cup of coffee and immediately drank half of it as he really needed it. He wasn’t sure if he would be able to get any more sleep that night. "As I told you, cousin, my slave here overheard a conversation while she was working in the palace. Being a good slave she immediately went to me of course and told me what she had heard. It’s about Lady Elyna Burhan. I thought that you might want to know about it. I remember that you were once somewhat close. Faith?"

He gestured for her to speak while he drank some more coffee. It would be better if she told the story as she had been the one to hear it.

"I was a guest at Elyna’s wedding to Malcolm", he interjected as Faith mentioned that Elyna was his wife as he wasn’t sure if Alistair was aware of that. Elyna and Malcolm hadn’t exactly announced their wedding in their Gazette. Truth to be told, he wasn’t sure if he should even be talking about it – the wedding had been a bit of a secret affair – but the story would probably not make a lot of sense without it. They wanted a noble to be present, and Elyna and I got along rather well when we first met back in Ymiden."

"They were in love, at least when I last saw them, and for that reason I believe that the rumor that Faith overheard is true. Marcus Krome abducted her because he is jealous of his father and wants to have Elyna for himself. If she is pregnant, it is likely that he raped her. I do not think that she is the kind of woman that would cheat on her husband with his son and run off to marry him instead. We need to help her. I don’t know if you still care about Elyna or ever really cared about her in the first place, but you cannot want an innocent woman to suffer and fear for her life."

"Faith wants to pretend to be Elyna's servant so that she can get close to her. What do you think of that?"
word count: 635
Alistair
Approved Character
Profession: Wanderer
Renown: 1000
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Letters
Point Bank Thread

The surgeon was not operating, nor was he asleep. Instead, he was embroiled in a conversation with Damien after the heated exchange that had occurred between himself and his sister, Zvezdana. As his cousin and the slave came knocking on his door, Alistair gestured for the Lich to leave the room in secrecy. The man nodded, pulling up his hood and stepping out onto the balcony. Alistair did not live at the top of the tower, and so the Lich was confident he could climb down halfway and make a jump that would not harm him, especially if he channeled Abrogation to reduce the impact damage of the fall.

He allowed Damien to disappear before he opened the door. He looked at Tristan for a brief moment, with absolute stoicism imbued into the contours of his face. After that brief moment of empty staring, his eyes moved to Faith. "Hello," he said to her, ironically before his cousin. But not for a good reason. "I was sent a letter by the University of Andaris informing me that if I act in such a manner as bringing a 'filthy slave' onto the campus again, I shall be fired." The man rolled his eyes. "Sod the bloody University."

. . .

Without much pause, the two were allowed into the room and had begun to explain information to him about the current situation of Lady Elyna Burhan, a woman he was once betrothed to in the past, in place of his current fiance Celeste. "Elyna," he repeated. Unique woman. Though he wouldn't say he was ever close to her. They were merely . . . passing acquaintances, who perhaps could have been more, if Alistair had ever possessed any desire for her and she for him. But he did not, and could not. So she was merely a face from the past. It had been some time since they had seen one another.

Her marriage to this Malcolm, who Alistair wasn't sure he'd even heard of, was interesting to say the least. "Is Malcolm a commoner?" he asked, plainly. If he was, then Elyna's reputation among the nobility was surely to be put down the drain. Unless the man was extremely rich, in which case the Venora supposed she wouldn't invoke too much ire among her peers.

What followed, near the end of his words, set Alistair off somewhat. He crossed his arms and shook his head, making his displeasure clear to Tristan. It was not because of all that he said, but rather some of what he said. We need to help her. I don’t know if you still care about Elyna or ever really cared about her in the first place, but you cannot want an innocent woman to suffer and fear for her life.

Hogwash.

"I don't care about Elyna. I never did. You're correct to lay on that assumption." He was, as always, very blunt. "As for innocent women suffering and fearing for their lives, it happens every day. Innocent men, women and children dying on the streets is as the blowing of the wind in this world. As a doctor, I do what I can to fight against that. Being away from my patients is likely to cause more suffering than the great, prestigious Lady Burhan being held prisoner by her own foolishness. Did she not secretly marry some old tyke rather than a proper noble husband?" He shook his head. Malcolm. He swore he'd heard that name before, but if he was the father of Marcus Krome, then surely many could understand the trouble of this predicament.

That meant he was either an illegitimate father, or he had somehow divorced Marcus' mother, which was illegal in Rynmere. How in the world did the daughter of Burhan get herself into such a bloody mess?

The man turned to the balcony and stared outside into the distance, looking over Sabaissant at night, the city painted with lights as a festival roared in the streets. His answer was clear . . . but with some words, he could be swayed. "What is Elyna's position on this rebellion? And Marcus?"
word count: 691
Tristan Venora
Approved Character
Profession: Mad Scientist Socialite
Renown: 934
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

"I’m pretty sure that Malcolm is not a commoner", Tristan replied. "At least not a common commoner, if you know what I mean. His name is Malcolm Krome. He was married to Vanessa Krome before she temporarily died." He took a sip from his cup. If the situation weren’t so dire, he would have smirked. He could practically feel Alistair’s disapproval of what Malcolm and Elyna had done. To Tristan though, the whole story was wonderfully exciting, and he was already thinking about how he could incorporate it into his next play, 'Return from the Dead – Revenge of the Ex-wife' or something like that …

"Still the same cold and overly rational man, I see", he remarked as Alistair informed him that he didn’t care about Elyna. "But I love you anyway. It’s true that innocent women suffer every day – but not innocent women that you know which would make a difference for most people. They wouldn't care about her relationship problems either. Malcolm’s not an old tyke by the way. He looks to be in his late thirties which makes his whole marriage to Vanessa Krome even stranger. Maybe he discovered the secret of eternal youth?"

He shrugged his shoulders, deciding that that was a riddle that he would solve another trial and furrowed his brow as he wondered how he could convince Alistair to help Elyna. Most people would have been horrified at Elyna’s fate, but his cousin didn’t even bat an eyelid. Sometimes he wondered what was wrong with him – with both of them. Had one of them gotten too many emotions and the other one too few?

"I’m certain that Elyna is against the rebellion. She’s a reasonable woman. Marcus on the other hand most likely supports Veljorn." He smiled slyly before he continued, "If you don’t care about a poor woman being tortured and raped, how about this? Think about the political consequences that your rescue of Elyna could have. Burhan’s reputation is tarnished right now, but Veljorn will not be there forever, and when he is gone, Burhan will still be an influential noble house."

"Elyna’s rescue could strengthen the ties between our families. We could gain an ally. You, my dear Alistair, could become much more powerful. Don’t you want that?"

Please say, ‚Of course I want that! he thought. Be a stereotypical cold, unfeeling, power-hungry noble lord! I really don’t want to have to rescue Elyna by myself. In fact I’d rather let other people do the rescuing. I really want to keep on living a little while longer!
word count: 445
Faith Augustin Champion
Approved Character
Profession: Fanatical Philanthropist
Renown: 2250
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

15th Saun, 716
Twenty minutes past the middle of the night
When Tristan had finished Faith spoke quietly "Master, Lord Venora, forgive me but I met Malcolm when I was still under the ownership of my last owner. He is a knight captain and a Professor at the University" she said looking at them both. "He told me that he teaches history, the religion of Rynmere, about the Immortals, that sort of thing. He had been wounded and so had been away from work as a knight captain for some time, I do not know how long" she kept quiet then whilst they continued to speak, standing quietly and not adding any more information on what they said.

Malcolm was, of course, to her a lot more than they were discussing, but she kept her counsel on that. Faith was very aware that her opinion was not sought here, and that between the cousins she should just quiet. She wanted to defend Malcolm, to yell at the two of them and tell them that, Malcolm needed them to get themselves in gear. But she considered back to what she had been reading in her attempts to become a better slave to Master, in order that she might learn about nobility and noble families.

"It seems likely" she added "That this might be a significant issue for House Krome, also, if it is father and son both. They might also be pleased to have the situation handled in a more careful and delicate manner than the Gazette seems to suggest. It does no harm for them to owe House Venora a favour" but she said no more than that, as it was up to the two of them and she would go where she needed to go and do what she needed to do.
word count: 302
This PC is dead. See this thread for details.
Alistair
Approved Character
Profession: Wanderer
Renown: 1000
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Letters
Point Bank Thread

The mage sighed. There were many things they mentioned that interested him. Malcolm's alleged eternal youth, and the idea of protecting Elyna not because she was 'another woman' but rather a noblewoman, and thus could weigh much greater influence on the world. Alistair nodded, a complex frown covering his lips. Indeed, coming to the rescue of Lady Burhan would do well for his own reputation as well as that of Venora's. It could bring about the renewal of the family's cracked pride after all that Zvezdana had done to smear them.

"Fine," he said.

House Krome - he doubted they would enjoy this, especially if Krome were the house imprisoning Elyna. But the Venoras had never been the most beloved of Krome. An enemy - or at least a tense acquaintance - falling further into the realm of distaste mattered little. The Venora had been close to the Burhan for a long time, something that Alistair wished to maintain. If he was to oppose Veljorn, which he would, this could amount to tensity between House Venora and House Burhan, something he could amend with the influence of Elyna, the beloved granddaughter of the Duke.

Alistair was indeed convinced. He looked to the city below. For Sabaissant, sacrifices needed to be made. To maintain Venora's serene perfection, its leaders would sometimes have to place their lives out in the fray and on the line.

"Let me correct you, however," he turned to Tristan. The man's look was serious as always - but with a glimmer of irritation. Something his young cousin had experienced only a few times, due to the Lord's lack of closeness to him. "I don't care about becoming more powerful. My goals have naught to do with power, but rather with prosperity. We are privileged to be born into this Duchy, a place where many from far off lands would surrender all that they own to dwell in. Our dignity has been preserved throughout lifetimes of our ancestors. To deviate from the way Venora has always been - loyal, delightful, peaceful... to do as my sister has done is to besmirch our ancestors, from Cyrene to Nora to Wolsingham. We are loyal to Andaris, and beloved by Burhan. That will not change by intimidation and fear. We will remind the other houses why we are the rose - because we have thorns."

He gestured for Faith to help him prepare. They would leave tonight.
word count: 407
Kingdom
Prophet of Old
Race: Mer
Renown: -1000
Office
Personal Journal
Templates
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Staff

Miscellaneous

Events

Faith

Knowledge:
Tactics: Getting in trouble purposely to speak to the higher ups
Malcolm: Loves Elyna
Alistair: Kind only if the act benefits him
Vanessa Krome: Not dead?
Persuasion: Make it worth their while

Loot: n/a
Injuries: n/a
Fame: +2

Story: 4/5
Collaboration: 3/5
Structure: 5/5

Tristan

Knowledge:
Alistair: A workaholic
Leadership: Giving credit where credit is due
Elyna: Married to Marcus’ father
Alistair: Kind only if the act benefits him
Politics: Using a man’s weakness against him
Malcolm: Professor at the university
Alistair: Doesn’t care about power.

Fame: +2

Just a little space that shouldn't be there boring?) , he fell

Alistair

Knowledge:
Rynmere University: Has warned you
Rynmere University: Doesn’t allow slaves
Elyna: Married to Malcolm
Malcolm: Only late thirties?

Fame: n/a

Comment: Short and sweet. Story wasn’t the most thrilling in the world but I did enjoy that it covered something that sets you up for more writing later down the line and it was kinda funny to see Faith use her persuasive powers, naughty slave. Alistair not caring about power made me laugh out loud, so says the guy ready to kill his parents next season! I tisk at both your faces, young man.
word count: 246
A N D I T' S A L L J U S T S M A L L S T U F F, B A B Y.
Locked Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Duchies”