• Mature • In Time

12th of Ymiden 716

The capital city of the of Rynmere, here is seated the only King in Idalos.
Elyna
Approved Character
Race: Naerikk
Profession: Official Troublemaker
Renown: 231
Character Sheet
Partner
Letters
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

In Time

12th Ymiden 716
The Skyrider had arrived back from Burhan, late on the 10th and fallen, grateful, into her bed. The next trials had been filled with standard training practices in the grounds and then a night flight above the city. However, although the flight had ended in the early breaks of day and she had only just returned to her rooms, Elyna found that she hesitated at the door of the barracks. Restless she stood at the entrance, wondering whether or not she would kick off her boots, or leave them on.

The door opened to her right and her Wingmate peered out, “Burhan, you’re back?” She smiled and edged out to lean on the frame.
Elyna returned the smile and edged back into the corridor, “bit of a late flight, but yeah, back safe Em’”

Her friend rolled brown eyes, “I mean from home, I’ve not seen you since…” she counted the days on her fingers before shrugging and giving up, “I don’t know. Not seen you much since that man was banging on your door?” She raised a hopeful eyebrow and waited for Elyna to share any valuable gossip.

Frowning, Elyna tried to work out who’d visited before she shrugged, “I don’t know,” she admitted, “but I’ve been absent I suppose. Busy…”

“With your engagement?”

The words still hit like a hammer but the Skyrider gave a small nod in response. Of course, her engagement to Marcus Krome. He was a Sailor, she was a Skyrider and they were both from noble families. No matter how strictly private and confidential the arrangement between their families, news spread. Maybe it spread even faster, given the fact that their parents would rather it be a quieter affair. Why, Elyna wasn’t sure but then she hadn’t been paying much attention to the arrangements put in place. The noblewoman would simply do what she was told. Why resist?

She realised too late that her silence had left Emily standing, waiting and she shrugged again “I’m just going to get some work done…I’ll see you later?”

“I’ll be here, Burhan…just let me know if you want to get breakfast or something this week? It’d be good to catch up.”

Touched by her wingmate’s concern, Elyna found that she gave a genuine smile, “I’ve got some sewing to do…we would sit together if you wanted?” It would be good to see Emily, to speak to her and to get back to normal.
Last edited by Elyna on Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total. word count: 426
Elyna
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Partner
Letters

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

In Time

Her friend paused before nodding in response. Both women vanished into their rooms and collected the gear they needed. It was a companionable silence that followed them through the barracks to the green outside. Elyna settled on the grass with her sewing bag perched between crossed legs, fishing for the deep brown square of material her Mother had provided her with.

“What’s that for?” Emily sat with her back against a tree, short blonde hair tucked behind her ears. The woman had an elfin face, with a deep scar running beneath her left eye. A scratch left by an infantile Volarean she’d been trying to help. It had taken seasons to heal but at least it was no longer red and angry.

“My Mother wanted me to make a present for…Baroness Warrick, she’s getting married,” Elyna explained. She stretched the fabric out across her knee. The chalk outline of a lioness rampant was already etched on the fabric.

“Seems like a lot of weddings are taking place,” Emily ducked her head, quick to study the blank notebook in front of her, ignoring the glare shot by the Burhan.

Unable to argue, Elyna pulled out the deep yellow thread, edged with strands of gold and concentrated on threading her needle. Licking the end of the thread and twisting it, so that it didn’t burr or catch on the steel instrument. Thread in place she started on the outline, following her sketch of the Warrick crest and unable to stop her mind from wandering.

“What man?” She glanced across as her needle bobbed slowly in and out in a running stitch, mapping out the broad strokes of the work.

“When?”

Elyna groaned, “I don’t have that many men visiting me!” She protested.

“Ashan…towards the end?”

The outline complete, Elyna paused and looked up. It wasn’t a hot day, so close to Ashan, not yet. Clouds were thick over the training grounds and they threatened a light rain. The ground smelt of fresh cut grass as well and the promise of advancing summer. Still, she had no idea who would have visited her. Privacy was usually expected, with so many soldiers and Skyriders keeping odd hours for their patrols.
word count: 374
Elyna
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Partner
Letters

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

In Time

Back to her work she started to weave the thread back and forth in deliberate strokes, filling in the centre of the Lion. Pausing every so often to pull back from the work and squint at it, then hold it away and study it from a distance. Sometimes, the thread caught more gold in the light, and sometimes it caught more of the yellow against the brown. The woman frowned as the centre was diligently filled and set the work aside, pausing to stand and stretch her legs and aching back.

Emily’s pencil etched over the notebook, pages falling prey to details sketches of the barracks and their fellow Skyriders as they came and went. A few doodles of faces in the corners of pages. Elyna found herself leaning over her friend to watch before the blonde looked up, brow raised.

“You’re in my light,” she complained.

Grinning Elyna returned to her own work and settled back down again.

“Was it during the day?” She asked finally, “that the man visited?” Elyna could only think it had been Malcolm, the day he’d convinced her to return to his patrol. But Emily shook her head.

“Evening, I think you’d gone out for dinner?”

Dinner with Malcolm. That had been a disaster. Elyna felt the heat rising down the back of her neck and collected the red embroidery thread. It was with deft fingers she re-threaded the needle and started attacking the rest of the fabric, determined to hide the brown beneath the bolder, brighter colour of Warrick.
word count: 261
Elyna
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Partner
Letters

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

In Time

It was a good break of time that slipped away in quiet as both Skyriders sat, working on separate projects content in each other’s company. Emily explained that she’d started seeing one of the Moseke Knights, a young man called Jeremy. They giggled together as she explained how he’d ended up climbing out of the window, at the change of the season wearing only a pair of breaches. It had left Emily to sneak the rest of his clothes, and boots into his collection of working gear, kept beside the training grounds.
Elyna’s needle flashed in the growing sunshine. She had a faint memory of Lazuli Warrick and tried to picture the young woman as she bent thread to her craft. Painstaking stitches edged around the shape of the golden lioness. Detailing the paws and mane and trying to highlight the golden hues against a vivid scarlet backdrop. It was hard to put aside her continued guilt from Ashan and the death of Bjorn. But the warmth of the day, the bright light and gentle easy companionship helped. She still had no idea who could have visited her that night.
It had been too long since she’d spent time with her Wingmate, and the tension in her heart eased. It was with a determined effort that she put aside any regrets regarding the Moseke Captain, and any thoughts about the future her Mother was weaving on her behalf. When she thought about the engagement, her heart started racing, with panic and the air seemed too thin. She concentrated on the stiches instead, hoping the Baroness felt more positively about her own engagement. Strange, that she and Lazuli would soon be cousins by marriage. The family grew bigger by extension. A lump rose in her throat and she craned over the final stitches of the border. The original coarse brown fabric almost entirely covered in delicate woven thread. Elyna traced a finger lightly over the surface.
“Have you met him?”
Lost and determined to push her thoughts aside, it took ELyna a moment to realise Emily had spoken and blinking she looked up. Her friend closed the sketchbook and laid it across folded knees. The Noblewoman considered her project and final pulled out the golden thread from her kit. The image needed a border.
“Elyna,” Emily insisted, “have you met your husband?”
The noblewoman nodded and concentrated on threading the needle once more.
“I did…I…rather…I made a few mistakes though.”
Emily grinned, “what, didn’t you curtsey enough for the Baroness?”
The heat that had risen in her neck spread across her throat and Elyna looked up, watching the dandelion seeds pushed around on the wind, drifting across emerald grass.
“I slept with him,” she admitted softly and was rewarded by her friends’ laughter.
“Surely that’s a good thing? Get off on the right foot? At least you’ll know what to expect!”
Elyna shook her head, “I didn’t know it was him!” She explained, and the embarrassment grew. Although it was good to get it off her chest and share the burning secret. She put needle to canvas with renewed energy as she spoke.
“I…just…it was a mistake. I was upset, alone and he was a handsome sailor, he is…he is a handsome man,” she admitted; and he had called her beautiful. He’d told her all the things that Malcolm had never put into words. Malcolm, his father. It made her feel more than a bit queasy to think of Marcus and Malcolm in the same breath.
“So…”
“So what?” Elyna glanced at her friend, wary.
“So how was it?”
The Noblewoman returned to her work. She’d run a stitch in a circle around the scarlet background and started to weave the thread back and forth to thicken it. Though she was content to laugh and share gossip with her friend, and she trusted Emily, the Skyrider was cautious of how much of her life she shared. After all, Emily didn’t know anything about Malcolm, and just how twisted her engagement to Marcus was.
“Fine,” she said eventually, unwilling to leave the question hanging. The needle slipped into her forefinger and cursing like a sailor she pressed the digit against her mouth to soothe the hurt and stem the drop of blood, “it was fine.”
Emily rolled her eyes, leaning forward to wrap arms around long legs, “nevermind eh, it’s only the rest of your life.”
word count: 753
Kingdom
Prophet of Old
Race: Mer
Renown: -1000
Office
Personal Journal
Templates

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Staff

Miscellaneous

Events

In Time

Elyna

Knowledge:
Basic
Emily: Wingmate
Emily: Has a facial scar
Emily: An artist
Jeremy: A friend of Emily’s
Marcus Krome: Sailor
Marcus: Handsome
Malcolm: Doesn’t talk about his feelings
Specific
Sewing: Crests
Sewing: Following an outline

Loot: n/a
Injuries: n/a
Fame: n/a

Story: 5/5
Collaboration: 0/5
Structure: 5/5

Comment: I really liked this story. I think I read it once before but had forgotten and the second time around it was just as good, so kudos! Scandal, scandal, all the scandal.
word count: 89
A N D I T' S A L L J U S T S M A L L S T U F F, B A B Y.
Locked Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Andaris”