[Minstrel's Office: Griffin] The Truth

Tea?

Have a matter that needs to be addressed by a Prophet? Come find their office here! Please note that all private issues should be kept to PMs or the Help Desk.

Postby Griffin » Wed May 11, 2016 9:57 am

Welcome, come in, come in!

There's not much here at the moment, but I'm sure it'll be all shiny soon.
Griffin
Prophet of Old

Race: Mer
Renown: 0
Medals: 5
Guest on Live Chat! (1) Painting With Words (1) Alpha Testing (1) Review Master (1)
Puppet Master (1)

Postby Griffin » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:26 pm

Moderated Threads

Events

No Tomb so Proud as his - Ymiden 716 / Complete
For Andaris! Saun City Attack - Open
Too high and too fast! Aeon/Rita/Zvez - Saun City Attack
Who is watching? - Sabine/Aelius/Gray - Saun City Attack
Wyrd vs Byrd - Zvez & Peake - Saun City Attack

PC Threads

Saving Grace 12th Saun -Lei'lira / Complete
Broken Wings 15th Saun -Lei'lira
Onward -TBC - Lei'lira
Griffin
Prophet of Old

Guest on Live Chat! (1) Painting With Words (1) Alpha Testing (1) Review Master (1)
Puppet Master (1)

Postby Griffin » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:27 pm

Working on:

Reviewed:Too high and too fast
Moderated Thread - Posted: Onward
Reviewing: Who is watching?
Griffin
Prophet of Old

Puppet Master (1)

Postby Griffin » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:46 pm

Welcome to the Griffiny Office, all those who have ventured in…

Now we have all flocked around the internet and found ourselves a safe haven for writing. The inspiration and beautiful base that is Standing Trials. We’re all here for various reasons and I’ll be honest about my own nefarious attraction to the site. I’m a graduate with a degree in literature and writing, and a master’s degree in writing. I’ve written a manuscript and I’m currently in the process of submitting to agents in the hope that someone will start paying me for the words! (Maybe one day!) For me, Standing Trials offers a distraction from the current edit of my manuscript. (This has to be the final one!) I’m a moderator who loves reviewing and I come from a background of supportive workshopping with other writers. I love writing moderated threads as they give me a narrative challenge – I’m forced out of the comfort zone of my own characters to consider the world of Idalos through different eyes.

Sometimes though, it’s hard to find that voice or know really what we’re doing in a post. We lose the story arc, or pad text with internal thoughts, we lose the texture and details of the world we’re trying to construct in words. Sometimes, we just plain get writers block.
What I would like to do here, in my cosy little office, is to provide a ‘weekly write.’ I’ll provide a prompt or a technique to battle the dreaded ‘block and then what happens is entirely up to you! If you want to try out the prompt then feel free to post below and join in the thread. There won’t be a point reward or medal for words submitted, but maybe we can all learn something new from each other and trip into next week as slightly better writers?

We won’t be workshopping or reviewing each other’s work, but if there is something awesome in the writing above yours please feel free to say! We’re all a bit vulnerable out here and positivity is key.

I’m happy to take suggestions for a writing prompt by PM if you want to submit one!

Heck, no one might be interested in this at all – but it’s worth a go.

Prompt one:
We all have our characters, and hopefully with a few posts we’re able to develop a feel for them. Their thoughts, feelings and the way they look at the world. However, my challenge for this week is to write between 100 – 300 words of your character visiting a new place. It could be the library, the dockyard, a prison cell – anywhere they’ve not yet been. Put aside the reason that they’re visiting, make it something innocuous and simple. Delivering a book, visiting a friend...the important part of this challenge is the description of the place they’re visiting. Bring us the sounds, the smell, the feel of the room in hot or cold, tepid, inferno, and the taste of the air on their tongue. Above all else – try and limit your visual depictions. Better yet, can you avoid them entirely?

Again, please remember there is no reward for this, other than personal development!

One of my favourite places on the internet is thesaurus.com :)

Post in your own time and a new prompt will appear next Friday! Happy writing!
Griffin
Prophet of Old

Puppet Master (1)

Postby Griffin » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:20 am

Now this has taken a lot longer than I thought it would to go up – I might aim for a monthly prompt instead ahah and see how we go with that…

Prompt two: - Dialogue…

Two of the most interesting classes I’ve attended were actually for writing plays and the tips I took from them have been invaluable. Personally, I hate writing dialogue and so I avoid it at all costs. If you know who my PC’s are, and you probably do, you might realise that I tend to stick very close to the mind of my characters, but with still with that third person omniscience. Doing this, you get to hear the character’s thoughts and know what they’re feeling. Most of all though, it means I get to avoid dialogue. It also has a tendency to make my characters seem shy, or introverted but hopefully still enjoyable to read, as even if they don’t express their thoughts, you still know what they are.

Now, I’ve gone sideways on a tangent and I’ll try crawling back to my point, and the prompt…

Two pointers for dialogue to start with :)

1. We don’t tend to ever say exactly what we’re thinking. It’s a rare trait. I might say, ‘would anyone like a coffee?’ when I’m at work. What I’m thinking is ‘I’m thirsty, I’m going to make a coffee, and I don’t mind making a drink for you as well.’ Now I could write the equivalent for my character but it’s far less believable as speech.
2. Everyone wants something. All of the time. Really good dialogue happens when two people want something, and neither of them are overtly saying what it is they want! The NPC in in your PC’s life might simply just want to go to the toilet, but if your character is having a long chat with them, then there’s going to be tension there. Dramatic conflict can be subtle, but it’s important to keep interest and drive story.

The challenge is to write between 200-300 words of a conversation between your character and an NPC. They both have to want something and neither of them are allowed to say what they want.

Again, please remember there is no reward for this, other than personal development! Hopefully it might be interesting! Happy Writing!
Griffin
Prophet of Old

Puppet Master (1)

Return to Prophets' Offices