• Memory • Àìdá Sädudä

Translation: Love Sick

Known as the City in the Trees, Desnind is a town bustling in its own way. The locals follow odd customs, and the visitors are never quite sure if they're visiting the same city as they were last time. It's home to the Immortal of Life, Moseke, as well as most of the Sev'ryn.

Moderators: Nymph, Ent

• Memory • Àìdá Sädudä

Postby Ellen'wyn » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:43 pm

Ymiden 69, Arc 711

"Mama! Please! That's enough!" Ellen's voice pleaded, but was largely ignored.

Her mother continued to fret over her hair--the final piece of the puzzle they had put together. She combed, yanked, and twisted mercilessly, sculpting the red curls into a masterful display of braids that just barely tamed the wild locks. Ellen groaned and winced, nearly pulled out of her stool by the force of it. When her hair was finally laying out of her face, her mother held up a mirror. The mixed-blood glanced at the reflection nervously.

"This isn't going to work," she said miserably, overwhelmed by nerves and the persistent whisper of doubt.

"Hush now with that! You are beautiful." Her mother cupped Ellen's round cheeks and smiled with all the pride of a doting parent.

Sighing, defeated once again by the sheer positivity that exuded the older Sev'ryn, she scrutinized her reflection again. Her mother had worked a miracle, really. Her braids were plaited just right, and the rest of her loose hair tumbled over her shoulders, swept back behind the ears. Her skin had been scrubbed clean and freshened with the oils of flowers. Even her fingers and toes gleamed.

The creamy knitted dress she wore helped her red hair stand out more, and fell just above her knees. Her mother had even convinced her to let her help groom her wings. Each feather was smoothed and tucked into place, and the pair shone in the afternoon light spilling through their treehouse windows. Ellen mumbled under her breath, rising out of her seat and handing the mirror back.

"What was that?" her mother asked, following her daughter's retreat into the bedroom.

"I said... it looks nice. Thank you." Ellen was blushing from nerves and embarrassment. She rarely dressed up or looked so exceptionally presentable.

"Well it's not every day your only daughter goes to court a young man for Aìdá Adugbo."

"I don't even know if he likes me. We've only spoke a few times, and I know a lot of the other girls are hoping to get his attention today."

"But you're going to be the one who takes charge. That's the important thing. Strong young men like strong young women, and you're the strongest I know," she gushed, wrapping Ellen in a tight hug.

"Mama! Stop! You're going to wrinkle my feathers," the mixed-blood exclaimed, straining to pull away from the embrace. Her mother chuckled and released her, then smoothed a few stray hairs back behind her ears.

"You look perfect, and all the other girls are going to be jealous of you."

"Thank you," she mumbled, too embarrassed to meet her mother's loving gaze.

"Okay," the older Sev'ryn finally relented. "You get going. And don't forget the flowers!"
Ellen'wyn
Little bird, big attitude.

Race: Mixed Race
Profession: Huntress
Fame: +14
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Medals: 2
Peer Reviewer (1) First Kiss (1)

Àìdá Sädudä

Postby Niv » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:34 pm

Image“Aren’t mothers supposed to be doing this?” Niv questioned her father as they walked along the forest floor on the outskirts of Desnind.

“Usually yes… but well… your mama isn’t that kind of mama.” Papa Pippo responded hesitantly as he thought of his wife Maroo, who only enjoyed cooking because she got to crush bugs with her bare hands. Instead of wearing make up or decorating ones hair, Maroo wore a bird skull helmet and armour made of a hairy spider carcass. Pippo was certain his daughter would be the same but here he was taking her out to look for berries and leaves to use as make up.

“Will this berry work?” Niv pointed out a bundle of small dark orange berries hanging from a bush up ahead.

Pippo shook his head “No no, too dry.”

“What about this?” Niv picked up an abandoned snail shell.

“I thought we were making colourful paste?” Pippo responded with a raised brow and pursed lips of confusion.

“I just thought it would look nice in my hair.” Niv picked up the shell and placed it in her tangled vines to give her father a better idea of what she was getting at.

“It looks nice..” Pippo avoided eye contact and gave a weak smile “But lets keep looking.”

The pair walked deeper through the forest as Niv continued to think of how to adorn the snail shell in her hair, The purple flowers sprouting from her scalp made it a little difficult however.

“I think I see blueberries,” The older tunawa tapped on his daughters shoulder and pointed to the bush just past a thick mossy tree. “You can make great purple paint with them, or in this case face paint.”

“I’ll go see.” Niv smiled as she ran ahead to the blue berry bush. “It is! It is!” The hyperactive tunawa child exclaimed as she jumped up and down in joy.

“Okay calm down its just a berry,” Her father chuckled as he caught up to his daughter. “I’ll get it for you sweetie.”

Pippo climbed up the base of the bush and soon fell to the ground with a massive bunch of blueberries in one of his hands.

“Okay so now what we need is bird droppings.” Pippa remarked casually as he continued onward.

“Bird droppings?” the younger tunawa repeated to see if she had heard correctly.

“Yup, it’s what we need to make the paste.” Pippo nodded.

“Well there’s plenty of birds in these woods, we’ll find some Papa then you can teach me to pretty my face up.” Niv clapped her hands happily at the idea.

“Well I’ll try..” Pippo raised his shoulders hesitantly to his eager daughter.

“Oh I think I just saw a really big bird lets follow it.” Niv pointed ahead.

Art credit to koyamori
Niv
Lemon Tree Freeloader

Race: Tunawa
Profession: Tiny Sage
Fame: +101
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Medals: 17
Reviewer's Choice (1) Helper (1) Peer Reviewer (1) Artíst (1)
Painting With Words (1) Vlogger Extraordinaire (1) Guild Master (1) Beta Bot (1)
One Arc Later... (1) Pioneer (2) ...ow. (1) Lol Worthy (1)
Idalos Awards 2016 (1) Holiday Event 2016 (1) Crush The Reviews! 717 (1) Event Medal (1)

Àìdá Sädudä

Postby Ellen'wyn » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:58 pm

Rushing out the door with her bouquet of wildflowers clutched close to her chest, she took pause at the ladder leading to the ground below. After a moment's hesitation, she decided on the fastest route--driven just a little by her eager excitement. Hopping onto the porch's railing, she dropped down and spread her wings. Air filled their bellies as she fell, and with one large flap close to the ground, she landed on her feet, knees bending to absorb the shock. Channeling that energy, she bounced off into a brisk jog, folding the auburn and blue-gray appendages neatly behind her.

Desnind was bustling with activity today. There was love in the air, and the Tunäwä were also celebrating their own special holiday. The positive energy helped give her courage. Ellen sniffed her bouquet experimentally and was satisfied by the sweet aroma. She smiled to herself, enamored by the image of Sharan fixed firmly in her mind. He was a magnificent young man--already an excellent hunter and craftsman, with long black hair and gloomy eyes. She stumbled momentarily, distracted by her thoughts and tripping over the tangled roots of a tree.

"Gah!"

The mixed-blood paused and stooped to examine her foot. They were bare, and she'd rolled a toe across the gnarled bark. It oozed a little blood, but nothing could be done at the moment. It stung at worst and was superficial. Many of the Sevir congregated closer to Magani to share in the Tunawa's revelries, so she continued her pursuit in the direction of the Ojọgbọn. She just hoped he was there too.

But after a few swift strides Ellen stumbled again to a halt, almost running over the top of two Tunäwä and nearly dropping her bouquet. With a small gasp she double-checked the bit of twine tying the bundle together and took a moment to straighten the bow, then looked at the small folk near her toes. They seemed visibly unharmed at least. Crushing a Tunäwä was easily one of her worst fears.

"I'm so sorry. I wasn't watching my steps. Are you both alright?"
Ellen'wyn
Little bird, big attitude.

Race: Mixed Race
Profession: Huntress
Fame: +14
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Medals: 2
Peer Reviewer (1) First Kiss (1)

Àìdá Sädudä

Postby Niv » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:20 pm

ImageThe bird landed just up ahead of the tunawa pair and they rushed to meet it. What they didn’t anticipate was that their target would nearly trample them not soon after as it moved in their direction. Pippo panicked as his eyes caught the sight of a silhouette in the sky and pushed his daughter out of the way as it stomped down in front of them.
“Ow.” Niv grumbled as she picked herself off the ground. “That hurt.”
“I’m so sorry dear” Pippo’s face was full of concern as he offered his daughter a helping hand.
“It’s okay papa.” Niv nodded to her father before looking up at Ellen “Don’t worry its not your fault, A good tunawa is always aware of their surroundings.” She turned back to Pippo. “Right Papa.”

“Thats right Dear” Pippo nodded his head in acknowledgement before side eyeing and whispering. “…you might want to heed that advice more often”

“I did! you just didn’t trust my judgement.” Niv snapped back with a prominent pout and her fists held firmly on her hips. “Bad papa.”

“We’ll talk about this later.” Pippo glared at his daughter. "Anyway..”

“Oh yes we have a mission!” Niv sprang up suddenly and pointed with a wiggling finger to Ellen. “We need your droppings!” the tiny Tunawa demanded.

“Okay.. First we need bird droppings.” The eldest tunawa corrected as he gestured his hands to Ellen. “does she look like a bird?”

“-she has wings like a bird.” Niv interrupted and pointed to the red and brown wings sticking out form the woman's back.

“Niv you’re being very rude.” Pippo said firmly with a stern look at his daughter. “I’m so very sorry for my daughter, she doesn’t mean to be rude. She just hasn’t seen a sev’ryn with wings before.”

“Sorry…” Niv looked down in embarrassment. “You are a very pretty bird.”

“Dear…She’s not a bird.” Pippa massaged his temples and sighed.

Art credit to koyamori
Niv
Lemon Tree Freeloader

Race: Tunawa
Profession: Tiny Sage
Fame: +101
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Medals: 17
Reviewer's Choice (1) Helper (1) Peer Reviewer (1) Artíst (1)
Painting With Words (1) Vlogger Extraordinaire (1) Guild Master (1) Beta Bot (1)
One Arc Later... (1) Pioneer (2) ...ow. (1) Lol Worthy (1)
Idalos Awards 2016 (1) Holiday Event 2016 (1) Crush The Reviews! 717 (1) Event Medal (1)

Return to Desnind