• Memory • Learning Together (Ellen'Wyn)

Here is the City in the Trees. Desnind, home of the Immortal Moseke and much more! All IC writings in Desnind go here.
Juniper
Approved Character
Race: Tunawa
Profession: Adventurer
Renown: 10
Character Sheet
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Learning Together (Ellen'Wyn)

15th Trial of Ymiden, of the 714th Arc
Bone was still getting used to flying, let alone flying with Juniper on her back, but the Tunawa wasn't giving up. Not on Bone, who was practically her child. She cared about Bone more than anything else in the world, that's why she wanted to be able to go on adventures WITH Bone. Not just when Bone was resting or taking care of herself. She wanted to share the journey's with her.

The problem was, that sometimes, people would try to shoot at them if they flew through the forest too much. She was afraid though, to take Bone any higher than the treetops. Sure, Bone was a predatory bird, but she was still childish in her ways. Everything Bone had learned, she'd learned by instinct or from Juniper herself. This sometimes caused worry for Juniper because what if she missed teaching her something? What if something happened to her and Bone couldn't make it on her own? She knew no one that would take the bird in.

Sighing, she whistled as loud as she could, signalling for Bone to set down. As soon as Bone started to the ground though, an arrow came flying past them and the squeal of a rabbit getting killed made Juniper jump and Bone flapped her wing as a grand display. Even though she'd been spooked, it seemed that she wanted to show herself big and proud. She squawked at the direction the arrow came from and Juniper gasp. "No girl! Hide! They won't see me on you! They'll hit you too!" But the bird was unresponsive to Juniper's plea's. What would happen next?
Last edited by Juniper on Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:21 pm, edited 2 times in total. word count: 288
Ellen'wyn
Approved Character
Race: Mixed Race
Profession: Huntress
Renown: 94
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Ellen drew an arrow from her quiver, tongue sticking out slightly from between her teeth. It was an expression she made she was concentrating. She was crouched in the dense brush at the edge of a small clearing. Patches of sunlight filtered through the wide reaching branches overhead, illuminating clumps of clover and dew-covered grass.

Some hares foraged here, alternating between searching through the ground cover and keeping a lookout for predators. They weren't easy to hunt, and she'd never been particularly good at sneaking up on them, but to-trial she seemed to be lucky. Ellen quietly nocked the arrow on her bow string, praying the luck would persist.

She drew the string back with her thumb, remaining in her crouched and prone position in the shadows, and anchored the arrow at the corner of her mouth. A deep inhale, brief hold, steady, and then her fingers released. The arrow slashed through leaves and arced across the clearing, burying itself into and straight through one hare's hip. It jumped reflexively, squealing in fright and pain. Ellen cursed and the rest of the cotton tails scattered into the brush. As the mixed-blood rose to go intercept the creature, a large raptor alighted down on the ground and suddenly flared its wings at her.

"Oh no you don't," the young huntress growled, slipping her bow over her shoulder and drawing the knife from her belt. "No free meals for yo--!" Ellen's steps faltered as she closed the distance with the interfering predator. It seemed it wasn't alone. A small Tunäwä clung to its back, shivering. Her knife hand dropped loosely to her side. "What are you doing?"

A twitch of brown out of the corner of her eye drew her attention suddenly back to her quarry. It writhed on the grass, in shock but still alive and trying to move away from the pain. A futile effort. Crouching down quickly, she took hold the hare's ears and pulled her blade across its throat. The knife bit through flesh clean and smooth, and it was dead. Ellen stroked its fur briefly. A silent apology for causing it unnecessary pain. Her accusatory eyes then turned back to the nearby intruders.

"Is there a reason you're interfering with my hunt?"
Last edited by Ellen'wyn on Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total. word count: 387
Juniper
Approved Character
Character Sheet

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Juniper's eyes widened. They were what?! They were just minding their own business, flying! Ooooh if she were bigger, she would have ripped the girl a new one in an one on one battle. But seeing as that weren't the case, she gave the woman before her a death glare.

"Excuse me, but shouldn't you be saying sorry for almost impaling me and my mount? We were just fine, and Bone's still new to flying! I have taught her everything myself! How to hunt for herself, how to fly, even how to bathe. So if you would be so KIND as to not ACCUSE her of STEALING your prey, that would be great. Seeing as she was just startled by your sudden appearance."

Juniper was practically hissing the words out at the woman before her. Eyes glaring as she continued to try to settle down Bone who was still screeching at Ellen'wyn. Flapping her wings. To the trained eye, one would see that the bird was scared and upset. To the untrained eye, it just seemed like an angry bird.

"Now.. if you MUST know. Bone has been having a rough time, I think our last run in with one of your kind sprained her wing, so we were stretching it out. She's better it seems, but I know to little. I wanted her to rest!"

She huffed and got out of the saddle and took the reins and tugged them down so that Bone would bend down. Her screeches quieted as Juniper started cooing at her softly. Soft whistles and nuzzles, it was obvious that Juniper had been taking care of this bird for a very long time.

"You just out here for the hunt? Or are you craving to bully me like most of the rest of the humanoids I've heard about or run into?"
Last edited by Juniper on Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total. word count: 322
Ellen'wyn
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Ellen was a young woman now, and she'd spent a long time trying to control and curb her quick temper. Most trials it was simple enough. Breathe in through the nose, out through the mouth. Disengage if you must--separate from the situation that is creating aggression. But for some reason, this Tunäwä and her bird struck a nerve. Perhaps it a combination of the two.

While the little creature tore into her, shouting and ranting at the top of her little lungs, the bird hissed and screeched, obviously defensive. It was worse than any sort of barn owl nest she'd stumbled on, with the chicks screaming and bobbing their heads like angry snakes. The half-breed was immediately angry. Not to mention some of the Tunäwä's very unwise choice of words. Ellen's feathers bristled and her lips peeled back to expose gritted teeth.

"I didn't almost impale you," the redhead growled, wings flaring open, casting a shadow over the two of them. "You came down at the wrong time, not watching your surroundings. That will get you killed! Foolish!"

Her face was getting red now, and she took a step closer, bloody knife in hand. She clicked her teeth at the bird, giving her wings one heavy flap, cutting off its shriek with an angry snarl. It seemed it had some manner of survival instinct after all. Its feathers sucked in tight and it froze as she loomed over them.

"What do you mean--my kind? Huh?" Ellen shifted her wings for emphasis. "Why would I waste my time stalking Tunäwä, tormenting them?"

What could this Tunäwä know about Avriel? Was there one in the area she didn't know about? Her mother kept track of such things, and Ellen had been the only one around for some time. That was the way they preferred it.
word count: 316
Juniper
Approved Character
Character Sheet

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Re: Learning Together (Ellen'Wyn)

"Did you not hear me!? We're new fliers! Just started a couple trials ago!"

Juniper was bristleing and so was Bone. All Juniper did though was have Bone back up, petting her head and whispering to her to try and keep her nice and calm. That was when Juniper became confused. She looked up at the woman before her, but she wasn't just a human. She was... something else entirely. She frowned, and looked at her, really looked at her to try and figure out what she was.

"I... I'm sorry miss... I... You aren't human... but.. you are a humanoid... What... are you. Y.. Your wings, they are so beautiful. I.. I'm sorry again... I .. we just have to be really careful. I have heard about a lot of seedlings getting stolen across the Big Waters. I... I'm to much of a fighter to allow that to happen to me."

Juniper looked at the back of Bones head and hugged herself. She shook in the saddle and Bone screeched with concern. Juniper leaned forward in the saddle and kissed her feathers.

"We... want to travel, not yet, not til Bone is stronger, but I, want to be able to say that I can protect her. Though it might be her protecting me more often than not. She was just a chick when I found her abandoned. I was the one that had to figure out how to teach her how to fly."

She cleared her throat and looked back up to the woman.

"I... Am Juniper.. R.. Really I'm sorry I... it's better to be cautious than to be foolhardy and overly trusting. Might... I ask your name?"
Last edited by Juniper on Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total. word count: 295
Ellen'wyn
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

The redhead regarded the pair darkly. Though her temper was flaring high, what could they really do to her? She immediately thought of Niv, and her features softened just a bit. It seemed a character trait that the Tunäwä found themselves in strange or dangerous situations unintentionally. Ellen folded her arms, knife and blood momentarily forgotten.

"If you want to protect her you need to be more aware of your surroundings. You're both small and anything could happen." Her face softened a little more, but there was still a small glower wrinkling her brows and twisting her mouth. "I think it would be safer for you to land in trees than on the ground. I don't see raptors on the ground unless they've come down for a kill. It's too exposing. They don't move well down here."

There a heavy silence then. Ellen regarded the Tunäwä critically, again thinking of Niv. Both curious. She could relate to that at least. Finally she sighed through flared nostrils.

"I'm part Avriel." Her voice was flat and dull. "My mother is Sev'ryn, and that's how I was raised."

Thankfully there was an opening for a change of topic, and she latched on immediately, even though it meant silly pleasantries that she wasn't in the mood for. The redhead stooped to wipe her knife off in the grass, slipped it back into its usual place, then grabbed the dead rabbit. She tied it carefully by its hind legs to her belt, and when she rose back to her feet it hung limp, dipping blood at her feet.

"My name is Ellen'wyn." She turned then, back the way she'd come. "Good luck with your flying." Her wings ruffled quietly as if with a mind of their own, and then she was gone again into the trees.
word count: 314
Kasoria
Peer Reviewer
Peer Reviewer
Race: Human
Renown: 1245
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Wealth Tier: Tier 5

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Review Rewards

Flying She-Cupid (Eh, Don't Know Many Archer Goddesses...)

Points awarded: 15XP

Knowledge:
Stealth: Hiding in the bushes
Hunting: Hares can be found around edge habitats
Hunting: Utilizing cover to sneak up on prey
Shortbow: Shooting through bushes
Shortbow: Shooting from a crouch
Shortbow: Leaves can interfere with aim
Shortbow: Don't rush the shot
Intimidation: Looming over someone smaller than you

Notes:
Damn shame this didn't go anywhere, but you did a good job with what you had to work with. I'm liking Ellen more and more, to be honest! Very brassy and independent but also introspective and has a... unusual moral compass. Please come back to Etzos soon!

Your review request is here. Also, please indicate on your request thread that this has been reviewed by using the button below (just add my name at the end). Thanks!

Code: Select all

[center][img]/gallery/image.php?album_id=39&image_id=7932[/img][/center]
If you have any questions, comments or concerns in regards to this review, feel free to PM.
word count: 178
Common Speech | Thoughts | Ith'ession Speech | Speech of Others
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Desnind”