Greetings :)

Please stop in here and introduce yourself to the community! We'd love to get to know you!

Postby Kateel » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:12 pm

I'm new to the site and wanted to introduce myself and say hello! I use to write for a wonderful site way back in the day that eventually closed. I developed a lot of really great friendships and had a lot of laughs. I'm hoping to recreate the same dynamics and really hoping to expand on my writing skills. I loved to write and create stories as a child, but as an adult I've been finding that my creativity is really lacking. I'm hoping that through this experience I can reinvigorate my creativity and joy for writing once more.

One of my favorite characters was an elf shaper who utilized spells via plants. It was a very fun character to play and develop. I also created a gladiator type character and had fun navigating a more adult style of writing. Anyway, I've been browsing the website and I had a few character concepts in mind. I am very intrigued with the magic disciplines and have a few idea's I would like to explore.

I very much look forward to writing with you all and I'm hoping to expand on the quality of my writing. I am a tad nervous though. I've been reading a few of the stories and I hope that my writing is up to par.
Kateel

Race: Human
Renown: 0

Postby Jade » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:43 pm

Hey there!

Welcome to Standing Trials! Glad to see another new face joining the community here. We have a pretty active member base and we're growing everyday in numbers, so finding stories and people to get invested in shouldn't be too hard. The prophets (moderators) here are also very active in character stories which makes everything 10x better! If you pop into Discord, there is almost always a moderator around to help you with any questions or with whatever you need help with. If there isn't, we have a lot of friendly players who know a lot about the site that would be happy to help you too. Feel free to jump into our discord at any time, we're all very welcoming to new faces! There's also a lot of information on the site as well, so please don't feel in a rush to make a character sheet quickly. Take your time to absorb what you can and ask as many questions as you need to.

I hope you have a fun time here and if you need anything, feel free to PM me or one of the other staff members! Happy Writing!
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”J.R.R. Tolkien
Jade
Thank you for supporting me through my hardships.
Storyteller - Rank 3

Race: Prophet
Profession: Prophet
Office
Player Review
Personal Journal
Templates
Medals: 18
Contributor of the Month (1) Guest on Live Chat! (1) World Developer (1) Artíst (1)
Painting With Words (1) Vlogger Extraordinaire (1) Ambassador (1) Supporter (1)
Alpha Testing (1) One Arc Later... (1) Puppet Master (1) Survivor (1)
Lol Worthy (1) Storyteller (1) Holy Tax Accountant (1) Vhalar 716 (1)
Idalos Awards 2016 (1) Crush The Reviews! 717 (1)

Postby Muse » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:04 pm

Welcome to ST!

I also have very fond memories of my first PBP which is also now defunct, so I feel your pain! Standing Trials is a lot of fun, and if you have any questions about magic or character creation, like Jade said, please come visit us on Discord! While not all of our magic is yet-developed, there's a lot of good stuff available and more coming slowly but surely.

Illustrious acts high raptures do infuse,
And every conqueror creates a muse.

Edmund Waller
Muse
Your A-Muse-ment, Always

Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Medals: 2
Mentor (1) Developer (1)

Postby Rumour » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:43 pm

welcome!
Welcome to Standing Trials, Kateel! :D I'm really happy that you've discovered our community and have decided to make us your new home.

I completely agree about needing a creative outlet as an adult. This site has been excellent for stretching my creativity and giving me a hobby that really puts my imagination and desire to create to use. Hopefully it will be the same for you! As Jade & Muse mentioned, please don't hesitate to reach out if you have any questions while you're getting settled.

What are you considering for your character concept, and where are you thinking of starting off your character?

"There is only one thing in the world worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about."
Office | Rharne | Rharne Lore | Lightning Knights | Thunder Priestesses | Merchants Guild
Rumour
Patron saint to gossipmongers.
Developer - Rank 3

Plot Notes
Office
Personal Journal
Templates
Medals: 15
Contributor of the Month (1) Guest on Live Chat! (1) World Developer (1) Artíst (1)
Mentor (1) Ambassador (1) Supporter (1) Alpha Testing (1)
Review Master (1) One Arc Later... (1) Puppet Master (1) Lol Worthy (1)
Developer (1) Idalos Awards 2016 (1) Crush The Reviews! 717 (1)

Postby Djinn » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:06 pm

Welcome to He---althy writing!

Oh hello! Welcome to Standing Trials. We are a pretty cool community of hip nerds. Not those geeks you see on television, but real cool cats with awesome leather jackets and switchblades.

Wait, wrong movie?

Alright, fine. Welcome, and if you have any questions, I am always around in Discord.
Djinn
Dreams are cheap, wishes are reality.

Profession: Genie
Renown: -1000
Office
Templates
Medals: 17
Contributor of the Month (1) Guest on Live Chat! (1) World Developer (1) Helper (1)
Artíst (1) Vlogger Extraordinaire (1) Mentor (1) Supporter (1)
Review Master (1) One Arc Later... (1) Pioneer (1) Puppet Master (1)
Survivor (1) Lol Worthy (1) Developer (1) Vhalar 716 (1)
Crush The Reviews! 717 (1)

Postby Kateel » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:10 pm

Thank you all so very much for the warm welcome. I have a concept in mind that could be a lot of fun for both myself and other players. Domain Magic really intrigued me when I read about it. I definitely want to explore that with with my character. I'm a little confused regarding the initiation process for domain magic. I'll continue to read the lore, but I do have a question regarding Abrogation. In the write up it briefly mentioned that the student typically will have knowledge of two other disciplines due to the inherent nature of the initiation. Before writing my background I wanted to double check.

I'm debating on either starting in Rynmere or Rharne. I've always been interested in trying to write about political court intrigue. I also really liked the what I saw regarding the Seekers. I'm also very interested in writing about a novice acolyte and some of her trials in becoming a priest. The Thunder Priestess really appealed to me when I read the lore. I have a concept in mind for it, but I'm not entirely sure if it fits. Anyway, thank you all again so much for the warm welcome.:)
Kateel

Race: Human

Postby Muse » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:25 pm

Kateel wrote:Domain Magic really intrigued me when I read about it. I definitely want to explore that with with my character. I'm a little confused regarding the initiation process for domain magic. I'll continue to read the lore, but I do have a question regarding Abrogation. In the write up it briefly mentioned that the student typically will have knowledge of two other disciplines due to the inherent nature of the initiation. Before writing my background I wanted to double check.

You can gain knowledge about any magic you choose, even as a non-mage, but you cannot practice said magic unless given the Spark through Initiation by another mage. The process of being Initiated into Abrogation basically requires you to defend yourself against the two other disciplines, but that process does not Initiate you into those two other domains. This is my rough answer—Plague and Djinn are the magic masters. I am but a lowly acolyte. Hopefully, that at least helps clarify.

Kateel wrote:I'm debating on either starting in Rynmere or Rharne. I've always been interested in trying to write about political court intrigue. I also really liked the what I saw regarding the Seekers. I'm also very interested in writing about a novice acolyte and some of her trials in becoming a priest. The Thunder Priestess really appealed to me when I read the lore. I have a concept in mind for it, but I'm not entirely sure if it fits. Anyway, thank you all again so much for the warm welcome.:)

As a fair warning, I feel it is my duty to warn you that magic is currently illegal in Rynmere. You're welcome to come and play there, of course (we have a lot of PC mages currently, so don't be shy), but the Seekers are laying low and/or not reachable in the present time period, following the King's decree that made magic punishable by death (public execution!) in the Kingdom of Rynmere. Again, you're not barred from playing there, you just should accept the risks.

Also, Rharne could always use more Thunder Priestess love!

Both regions are fabulous, so don't think you have a wrong answer there ... you don't!
Muse
Your A-Muse-ment, Always

Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Medals: 2
Mentor (1) Developer (1)

Return to The Welcome Wagon