Question about Mixed-Race Biqaj and naming

Please note: Answers in this archive may be out of date / things may have changed. Do not take for granted anything older than 6 months old. If in doubt - better to ask again.

Moderators: Staff, Peer Reviewer, Wiki Worker

Amalia Ki'hadi
Race: Ithecal
Renown: 10
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

After looking over all the races, I think I want my first character to be a mixed race of Biqaj and Human.

My idea was to have her mother be Biqaj who became enamored with a human in Etzos who was of a more well-to-do type of family and who desired a more down to earth lifestyle for the family. The mother would drop her last name when they were married and my character would have a more "human" name. As she gets older, it is clear she much more favors her Biqaj heritage in personality and when she is ready to strike out on her on, she wants to reconnect with her Biqaj roots.

In the Biqaj race lore it says that when they reach about 20 arcs they undergo a rite of passage where they may begin a new clan of their on and may start addressing themselves by a new name.

So my questions are

1) How would that rite of passage be addressed in a mixed breed who, up until a few years ago, had little to no experience on the ocean?

2) Is that something that would play out better IC or a hefty focus in her bio? Though that is really more an opinion, I'd really like to get some feedback on that.

3) Would she be able to reclaim her mother's clan name or would she have to create a new clan name?

4) Would she be allowed to take on a new first name and shift her given name to a middle name?

5) And regardless of the above, how would this be addressed in her actual naming on the character sheet?

Thankee muchly!
word count: 286
Pash Raj'oriq
Approved Character
Race: Biqaj
Profession: Tankbard
Renown: 315
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Partner
Templates

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

1) How would that rite of passage be addressed in a mixed breed who, up until a few years ago, had little to no experience on the ocean?
Resident Biqaj here. There are only a few of us ... so ... Hello! Welcome to ST and I love your character concept. According to the lore, I suppose it would depend on if your character is aware of the rite of passage. Biqaj come up with their own names—it's their choice to stick with their given name or to change it to something else. If your character is familiar with the Rakahi language and naming conventions, it's conceivable she could decide to rename themselves closer to the heritage they feel more connected with.

The Biqaj as a people are welcoming of mixed bloods so long as they prove themselves capable. So, if your character has enthusiasm and passion for a seafaring lifestyle, then she would probably be given a chance regardless of her experience level.
2) Is that something that would play out better IC or a hefty focus in her bio? Though that is really more an opinion, I'd really like to get some feedback on that.
Honestly? This could be a bit of both. I am somewhat of an addict when it comes to developing character history through memory threads (hey, wanna be friends once your CS is ready? hit me up. see ... done), but I also like a well-grounded CS history (see to the right). Having a basic idea of where your PC came from and then building from there to begin to see her opinions as they age is a lot of fun. If you think it's something that would work best taking time to unfold, definitely make it a memory thread goal.
3) Would she be able to reclaim her mother's clan name or would she have to create a new clan name?
What a great character goal—finding her mother's clan and joining or claiming her name! I think that's awesome. In my case, Pash has changed his name in-game on the Biqaj new year (Saun 40 of this arc, 717). He has made the decision to leave his clan name and forge his own. So, I am sure the reverse is also true. She may claim the name but may also need to prove herself to her mother's clan in order for her to be recognized by them!
4) Would she be allowed to take on a new first name and shift her given name to a middle name?
Biqaj seem very fluid with names in general. At least that is my interpretation from the lore. They recognize that they define themselves by their names and so tend to make their own choices in that department. It seems that their families/clans are accepting of this so long as they are still members.
5) And regardless of the above, how would this be addressed in her actual naming on the character sheet?
I have listed Pash's birth name and his new name. He has not changed his first name, but that is also something that happens among Biqaj I'm sure. You can list her current name and then either make references in her history or under her name of past names and the dates of their changing.
word count: 564
Rakahi | Rakahi Pidgin | Common | Xanthean

Because of his Competency in Empathy magic, Pash exudes an aura of calm emotion that is always "on." While it's not strong enough to overcome extreme emotions and it also loses strength the more people he's around, it's still up to you how that affects your character in whatever situation we're in. PM with questions!
[/googlefont]
Amalia Ki'hadi
Race: Ithecal
Renown: 10
Plot Notes
Personal Journal

Thanks so much for the quick reply. To be honest, I've looked at your CS a lot for some guidance and jumping off points. I hadn't given much thought to having some of the heftier parts of her background done through memory threads but it is actually a great idea that I will probably do.
word count: 57
Vega
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Hat-Wearer
Renown: 1739
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

And resident Biqaj mixed-race here - so with a slightly different take on it.
Well, although my Vega here is a half-breed, she was raised by her biqaj family. She voted to leave the trial before her 20th birthday so she didn't have to go through the ceremony. Her father (the biqaj) changed their family name to be a sort-of-almost of her (died in childbirth) mother. My perception is that it's the clan that's important, and if she shows herself as competent and wanting to be part of it, then she could have a rite of passage. I think they're each probably very different, clan to clan, too, so you've got some poetic license there.

Whether in memory thread or starting from there, I'd always say write it IC. Just a personal opinion, but there we go. Now, don't get me wrong, I think it should all tie in with a well written, detailed CS - but yeah. I'd say both, but don't let the CS be the beginning and end - just the beginning!
That will very much depend on the clan, the NPCs within it etc. My pc's clan are a bunch of bigots who are willing to trade with humans / sev'ryn etc, but don't like them in the mix. Vega has had a lot of pressure to meet a nice biqaj boy who will forgive her "mongrel" status. But that's that clan, those people - and there's a reason for it that I haven't explored IC yet, though I will. One day :) I think pursue it, write it, see how it goes. It's possible, certainly!
As Pash said - biqaj are really flexible about names. Vega's real name is Eva, only her father calls her that - it's all.. yeah, I don't see why not. :)
Well, check out my CS (over there on the right) - it lists her real name, Eva, but Vega is all that anyone knows her as.

And hey - always happy to do a thread if you'd like some mixed-race chatter! Vega is largely obnoxious, bad tempered and grouchy - but she's lots of fun too :) Welcome to ST!
word count: 498

Vega's skin has a reflective metallic sheen with a red glow. Her eyes still swirl biqaj colours, but one colour is always bright red which glows like fire. She has a bright red glow in her chest, situated directly under the mark of a heart (Daia mark) in the middle of a glowing silver dragon on her chest (Xiur). She's unnaturally warm to the touch
Locked Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Q&A Archive”