Magic + Desnind NPC question

Please note: Answers in this archive may be out of date / things may have changed. Do not take for granted anything older than 6 months old. If in doubt - better to ask again.

Moderators: Staff, Peer Reviewer, Wiki Worker

Sel'ma
Race: Mortal Born
Renown: 0
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

I'm putting this on the Q&A as it's related to another topic I have ongoing here. In short I'll need to make an NPC to use as
arcana teacher in the charcter history for Sel, or else think again. Now testing the NPC solution.

As Sel will not be in Desnind I think it could be better to make an NPC other people can use, not just one for myself.

This one could be used for learning wilderness survival, hunting, tracking, archery. This is just an idea. I can write more if it's useful.
a) Is it possible for Desnind ?
b) Is it possible from a magic pow ?
c) Any advice?

Again, short answers are fine. I quite like old Cai and I also figure it could be good with somebody dangerous in Desnind, so I wanted to make a try. But if this doesn't work I'll come up with some new idea instead, perhaps let her learn directly from some seeker.

Location idea : The Panther Hut

The panter hut is a simple hut in the fringes of the wilds near Desnind. It’s constructed by the hermit who lives there. Cowered with a thick layer of reeds and with layers of bark on top of that the hut gives a fairly good shelter from rain. It holds some simple cooking attire and other very basic things, like a mattress stuffed with dried grass to sleep on.
The hut is located in a spot that is hard to find. It’s also pretty dangerous to go there. The inhabitant has the soul of a panther with what this entails. But the risk can be worth the while for those who want to learn wilderness survival, hunting, tracking and archery from a master. Every arc there’s a few unfortunate young fools who return from the panther hut with wounds that will turn into remarkable scars. These are called “panther tattoos” and seen as honorable signs of courage.

NPC idea: Cai'meth Black Panther

Wilderness Survival
Hunting
Tracking
Weapon: Bow
Attunement 5
Abrogation 5
Cai’meth spent many arcs as slave in Athart. There he survived mentally by spending much time with his familiar black panther, which would later lead to the animal soul taking over. He learnt arcana from a seeker who had been captured in his sleep, lost his conduit and been made a slave too. The two of them escaped together and Cai’meth tried to join the Seekers for a while, but his talent for arcana was low. He gave up, went home to Desnind, tried to lead a normal life, got Selma, but ended up as unpredictable and dangerous panther soul hermit in the wilds. There he plays, preys and pounces, depending on what people and animals are doing.
word count: 470
Dementia
Prophet of Old
Race: Mixed Race
Profession: Versifier
Office

Contribution

Miscellaneous

a. Yes.
b. It -should- be, but I am still not entirely sure how Arcana works, so I'll defer to Tribute on this one.
c. I really like what you have so far and would love to see you elaborate.
word count: 41
Mythic
Prophet of Old
Race: Mer
Renown: 1000
Office

A) This is up to Dementia, but she said yes, so yay.
B and C) Having low skill level values in Arcana would mean that person has pretty much no idea how to use that arcana. A 5 or even 10 is considered by any sorcerer to be sub-par, so being removed from the Seekers makes sense if the NPC could never get better. However, this NPC would be completely unable to teach anyone given their skill value, as well.
word count: 81
Sel'ma
Character Sheet
Plot Notes

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Okay.

I'll elaborate a bit on the location regardless of the outcome of the magic discussion.

Now, the magic. I can change the reason for him to leave the seekers from low talent to just him longing home to Desnind. And increase the skillpoints.

How many points would be appropriate for him (as teacher)to have in attunement and abrogation ?
word count: 61
Jade
Prophet of Old
Race: Prophet
Profession: Prophet
Office
Personal Journal
Templates

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Staff

Miscellaneous

Events

Tribute can correct me if I'm wrong but attunement and any other magic go hand in hand. Based on the skill ranks, I would say that attunement would need to be expert at the very least with competent or expert skill rank in whatever magic the NPC intends to teach. Keep in mind that the NPC can only teach what he knows/what's within his skill rank.
word count: 69
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”J.R.R. Tolkien
Mythic
Prophet of Old
Office

Noooo, Attunement and other arcana are no longer mutually exclusive (this was an old idea and has since been discarded) so attunement can be at any level ^.^
word count: 27
Sel'ma
Character Sheet
Plot Notes

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

This idea is now in Desnind Submissions.

I put attunement and abrogation to expert, tentatively. I feel I don't know enough about the magic system to be able to deal with the exact points. I hope you guys will decide it, in case it goes on to be a location & NPC that is.

You can change the idea as you like. Replace pictures are alright. My text can need a makeover by somebody who has English as their first language, Whisper and Jeff has been through this ordeal before ;) Also sorry for the layout, just wanted to get something posted.
word count: 101
Mythic
Prophet of Old
Office

As of now, all magical NPC's that are created by PC's must be affiliated with one of the magical factions. The Seekers are up, and the other two will be shortly. The other two are the Fist of Arcanis and the Coven of Ellasin.
word count: 46
Locked Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Q&A Archive”