Domain Magic Q&A

It's finally here.

Here you can ask questions relating to the Standing Trials roleplay to everyone in the community. All members are welcome to assist here.

Domain Magic Q&A

Postby Plague » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:24 pm

You may do either, given your conditions of having it.

I always suggest a memory thread, makes the magic more real.
Plague
Developer - Rank 4
Developer - Rank 4

Race: Mer
Renown: +260
Office
Personal Journal
Templates
Medals: 14
Contributor of the Month (1) Guest on Live Chat! (1) Story of the Month (1) World Developer (1)
Painting With Words (1) Vlogger Extraordinaire (1) Mentor (1) Ambassador (1)
Alpha Testing (1) One Arc Later... (1) Right In The Feels (1) Scandalous (1)
Survivor (1) Developer (1)

Domain Magic Q&A

Postby Poppy » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:07 pm

Okay so for attunement, I have a question. Say my character is walking around in the woods and is using their compass ability to not get lost. She would be feeling those familiar frequencies because she is attuned to that area, right? However - if something new were to come into the area. Say another person was entering the woods, would she be able to notice that? I don't know if I explained that right or just made it more confusing....Magic isn't my forte.
Poppy
Pirate Mistress

Race: Biqaj
Profession: Pirate
Renown: -30
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Medals: 1
Artíst (1)

Domain Magic Q&A

Postby Sephira » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:18 pm

A Rupturing Question
It was mentioned in a previous answer that if a Rupturer were to try and take someone through a Blink that the other person would likely lose something limb-wise in the transition.
So my question is this, can portals be used to shear through chains or long objects the mage tossed partially through before closing the portal? If this is possible, what would be the limitations? Thanks!
Sephira
Dimensional Duelist

Race: Mixed Race
Profession: Flame Element Sorcerer
Renown: +100
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates
Medals: 4
Helper (1) Peer Reviewer (1) Artíst (1) Supporter (1)

Domain Magic Q&A

Postby Val'ystil » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:10 am

I have about eight months of questions I've been waiting to ask. Pardon the massive number of them.

Defiance

1) Is the bond to elements something unique to the nature of Defiance? Is it tapping in to the direct concept of Fire, Wind, Earth, and Water as if the character was themselves capable of manipulating that concept as an Anak, or is it different to them? In that same vein, do Anak of elements have a relationship with said elements insofar as manipulating these concepts?

2) In doing something that a Fire Anak would favor, would the Defiance element of fire itself also be appeased?

3) Ether is given to the elements to move, or can they move on their own without ether expenditure by the mage?

4) Is astronomy of any major significance to magic? The sun and the stars? I remember reading that stars are just pinpricks in the sky, gateways to Emea, but I can't find that information anymore to corroborate. Hopefully you have some fun with this question!

An example in using the sun for magic might be amplifying the suns rays to burn or blind through Defiance, if it were really a giant ball of flaming gas that you could have a relationship with.

Fractures

5) Do soul-fractures shrink when the Spark is removed? What happens to the soul-fracture when someone dies and they are not flayed?

6) Can a mage draw Ether from an Emea-hole/fracture? How close to the source do they need to be to do so, if so? I recall Vuda doing this.

7) Is it possible for a powerful mage, exerting lots of Ether along an Emean fault line, to coax into existence a small or major Fracture?

8) It would seem that the type of Well a Fracture might have within is tied to the concepts present nearby to said Fracture, with more complex ones available from larger Fractures. Does this mean that players can discover or find and research new Well types from new environments?

9) Can fracture chasms form in the air, or do they always form in solid substances such as the earth?

10) When a fracture disappears, does it leave behind visible land scarring such as the chasm/cave it created, or does this earth seal back up, burying the Wells?

Flaying

11) Can a flayed man become a ghost?
Val'ystil

Race: Sev'ryn
Profession: Dancer
Renown: 0
Character Sheet

Domain Magic Q&A

Postby Plague » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:41 pm

1. Anak manipulate elements naturally and to an untrained viewer, it may seem similar to Defiance. However Defiance uses ether to force these changes and manipulations, while the Spirit uses much more natural Ephemera and its nature.

2. Generally speaking, yes. It is more the mental understanding of both the Spark and the mage of what fire 'wants'

3. Must use ether for any magic

4. That's a very interesting concept. So far, no, but in the future? May be worth exploring. I appreciate the heads up. (unfortunately though, the sun would be much too far away to actually use Defiance on)

5. Most of the time Sparks are never removed, so there isn't much study on the practical effects. OOC, the soul fracture would remain partly wider than an ordinary person's

6. They can, and they just need to be within the range of the Foyer of a Fracture.

7. Possibly, but the trick would be what kind of magic would create the breach? Attunement to know where to press the resonance? Transmutation as the cornerstone of ether manipulation? Or Rupturing to cut between locations?

8. This is possible, although prophet approval will be needed and well type list updated for this kind of foray.

9. They can form in the air, but are generally rarer. It is not entirely clear as to why.

10. The Earth seals back up, burying the wells, although depending on the size of the breach, it may leave some other physical scarring.

11. No. A soul that is completely flayed ceases to be. They cannot come back. Possibly even with Immortal intervention.
Plague
Developer - Rank 4
Developer - Rank 4

Race: Mer
Renown: +260
Office
Personal Journal
Templates
Medals: 14
Contributor of the Month (1) Guest on Live Chat! (1) Story of the Month (1) World Developer (1)
Painting With Words (1) Vlogger Extraordinaire (1) Mentor (1) Ambassador (1)
Alpha Testing (1) One Arc Later... (1) Right In The Feels (1) Scandalous (1)
Survivor (1) Developer (1)

Previous

Return to Questions & Answers