New character questions

Here you can ask questions relating to the Standing Trials roleplay to everyone in the community. All members are welcome to assist here.

New character questions

Postby Ellinor » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:02 am

Hello!

I’m in the process of making my CS, and I have a few questions:

• I’m currently trying to decide on Ellinor’s skills. I want her to be a thief, but I don’t want her to pick pockets. I want her to break into houses and pick locks. According to the Wiki the “Thief” profession requires Stealth and Pick Pocketing though. Can I exchange Pick Pocketing for Lock Picking or simply use the “Locksmith” profession as a base and claim that Ellinor uses her skills for nefarious purposes?
  • I’m also trying to decide whether I want a blessing. Do the Immortals ever give their blessing to somebody against their will?
  • Is there a limit to how many NPCs you can control? I eventually plan on writing up all the members of Ellinor’s former gang as well as a few other important NPCs.
Ellinor

Race: Human
Profession: Thief
Renown: +10
Character Sheet

New character questions

Postby Jade » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:22 pm

Hey there, welcome to the site!

I’m currently trying to decide on Ellinor’s skills. I want her to be a thief, but I don’t want her to pick pockets. I want her to break into houses and pick locks. According to the Wiki the “Thief” profession requires Stealth and Pick Pocketing though. Can I exchange Pick Pocketing for Lock Picking or simply use the “Locksmith” profession as a base and claim that Ellinor uses her skills for nefarious purposes?

The listed skills on the professions page are what is assumed to be the most likely skills for that profession, but there are a lot of things that can be interchangeable with what skills a profession might use. I don't see a problem with this being the case, because you're still investing a likely skill into that profession. So yeah, exchange Pick Pocketing for Lock Picking and you'll be square. :)

I’m also trying to decide whether I want a blessing. Do the Immortals ever give their blessing to somebody against their will?
Honestly, I'm inclined to say no or this is a very rare thing to have happen. Most of the time when an Immortal bestows a blessing, the individual has worked to earn that Immortal's favor in some capacity. Now, curses are a different story and as long as it's agreed on, those can be forcible given.

Is there a limit to how many NPCs you can control? I eventually plan on writing up all the members of Ellinor’s former gang as well as a few other important NPCs.

Nope, the only thing we ask is that you don't make the story about the NPC as it makes it harder for you to earn experience for what you do in threads.

Hope this helps!
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”J.R.R. Tolkien
Jade
Thank you for supporting me through my hardships.
Storyteller - Rank 3

Race: Prophet
Profession: Prophet
Renown: 0
Office
Player Review
Personal Journal
Templates
Medals: 18
Contributor of the Month (1) Guest on Live Chat! (1) World Developer (1) Artíst (1)
Painting With Words (1) Vlogger Extraordinaire (1) Ambassador (1) Supporter (1)
Alpha Testing (1) One Arc Later... (1) Puppet Master (1) Survivor (1)
Lol Worthy (1) Storyteller (1) Holy Tax Accountant (1) Vhalar 716 (1)
Idalos Awards 2016 (1) Crush The Reviews! 717 (1)

New character questions

Postby Muse » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:46 pm

Welcome to ST!

Definitely choose the skill that sounds best for your character! I agree with Jade here—if Lock Picking works better for you, then go for it. We are always open to a suggestion for new skills, but we are trying to finish writing up existing skills before we expand into new ones. Thieves here in ST aren't all Pick Pockets, it's true.

Some Immortals do what they want—the Favored mark is more or less a way for that Immortal to keep watch over who they give it to. Sometimes, this is because that Immortal desires a relationship with that PC and sometimes it's because they want to be a part of that PC's situation, as opposed to Cursing them. Devotion is not always required to garner the attention of an Immortal—some Immortals notice your PC long before your PC would ever notice them. This can be good or bad, but the encounter tends to leave the PC forever changed. It's once a PC moves into the Adored mark that they are a willing participant in the goals and schemes of the Immortal that Blessed them.

As a player, my PC was somewhat Blessed against his will, but it was perhaps because he was under duress. He said yes to Syora's Blessing because if he had said no, more people would have died. He had a moment of lustful willingness because that was the affect the Immortal had on him, but, at the end of the day, he said yes because he wanted all of the dying to stop.

My suggestion here would be to ask for the Blessing IRP instead of starting with it. While it's convenient to have those abilities ready to go, it's also kind of fun to get the full experience through a thread instead. If you have a very clear story as to how your PC will be Blessed—willing or not—you're welcome to run it through the Profit Support Forum and/or hit us up on Discord/PM to work it out. :)

You can have as many NPCs as you can afford. Remember, Memory NPCs are a one-time 10gn purchase and Present/Active NPCs are 10gn per season. So, keep that in mind when making a bunch of NPCs—you have to pay for them! City NPCs can be played with, and you're welcome to create some for the city you choose to settle in.

Illustrious acts high raptures do infuse,
And every conqueror creates a muse.

Edmund Waller
Muse
Your A-Muse-ment, Always

Race: Prophet
Renown: 0
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Medals: 2
Mentor (1) Developer (1)