Building my Eídisi PC character

Academy-trained aspiring mage

The Workshop provides a space for players to discuss and develop new character concepts with community input, repair and overlook characters who have met with circumstances that make their gameplay difficult by receiving feedback from fellow players, or honor and wrap up the story lines of characters who have met their ends and resolve the loose ends left behind by their untimely departure from the game.

Postby Vaelis » Fri May 11, 2018 9:04 am

Hey all,

Just in the process of building my first character Vaelis. Summed up, he is Videnese Eídisi, an Academy progeny who has been in education there from entry level onwards as a boarder while his parents (Academy sociologists) are in Desnind working on a study there.

I want to give him a solid foundational level in subjects that the Academy would train students in during their primary and secondary education so I thought for skills he would have:

Mathematics (5)
Chemistry (5)
Physics (5)
Politics (5)
Etiquette (5) - not sure about this one... might shift it to an additional 5 points in Writing or Linguistics
Writing (15)
Research (25 racial bonus)
Linguistics (5)

...and then I want him to grow into becoming a very traditionally-trained purist mage in the "Pure Disciplines" of, first, Attunement and then Transmutation, who ventures out into the world to continue his studies. Of course he will need to find a suitable master to initiate and educate him in these fields first, I figured I would just give him Ensorcelling (5) for now to reflect his fascination with Arcana and his initial steps into tertiary education at the Griseous Wing of the Academy.

I'm trying to figure out a few things from there:
  • How easy would it be for an Academy student to pick up Ensorcelling in his theoretical studies at the Institute of Arcana? I was thinking of just keeping this character in the Academy for now focusing on his studies (reflected in developing skills in Research, Writing, Meditation, Ensorcelling and maybe Linguistics if some arcane theory texts need to be translated) and hoping to be noticed by a mage and picked up as an apprentice for his first initiation in Attunement.
  • Have I spread my skill points a little too thin or does that seem like a reasonable distribution for an educated Academy brat's starting off point?
  • Is an Academy-educated character more or less likely to be taken on as an apprentice by a mage? I figured a master might have some hesitations as Domain Magic is ultimately a spiritual practice so a rigidly educated mind might be too cerebral to understand concepts of the soul. But then mages seem to be fairly academic and half the students in the Griseous Wing seem to be mages themselves?
  • Am I wasting my time starting the character at an early pre-mage stage? Should I start him off post-initiation as a starting mage to save time trying to find a mentor? I just thought as a starting character it would be easier for me to start him off with a wide spread of base skills and build him from there.

If someone can ease my mind about any of the above worries, it would be appreciated!
Vaelis

Race: Eídisi
Renown: 0

Postby Banshee » Fri May 11, 2018 12:09 pm

Hi Vaelis, I'm Banshee, one of the mods in Viden.

Firstly, I'll address the matter of skill point distribution. You're obviously entitled to do whatever you see fit with your skill points but you should bear in mind that skills don't typically reflect the entirety of a character's history. While a character may have had an education in maths and sciences, they don't have to have the skills to reflect that. However, if you wanted to do something that involved maths or physics, for instance, then it makes sense to place points into that skill. If you have no intention of using a skill then there's little benefit in spending points on it. If you want a solid foundation then it's best to consider what you want to do with your character. If he's going to be involved in languages then things like Linguistics and Writing are relevant. Does that make sense?

However, if you truly want to cover everything that the Academy teaches at primary and secondary level then chances are that not only would your points be spread thinly but you also probably wouldn't have enough overall. It would depend on your PC's past interests in some ways but you could expect Chemistry, Linguistics, Mathematics, Physics, Politics, Psychology, Research, Rhetoric, Sociology and Writing and maybe Business Management, Investigation, Leadership, Logistics, Medicine and more. It's a pretty broad education although it would be narrowed more as a child aged and progressed through different levels of education.

Tying into skill points, we have the matter of magic and magic-related things. Given that Ensorcelling hasn't been released yet, you can put 5 points into it but you can't progress in the skill or use it in any threads. However, as a practice rather than a discipline, it's a lot easier to pick up than magic and doesn't require as much from its user. That being said, if he enrolled himself in the Institute of Arcana (I'm sure his parents would vouch for him) then he would be in a good position to learn more magical related things. Additionally, he'd be in contact with mages. If he took a job in the Academy as a research assistant and started to work with mages then they might pay him further attention, consider him for initiation into a magic, etc.

There are mages working, teaching and studying in the Academy so I wouldn't say that magic and academia are at odds with each other. What's more something like Attunement would appeal to an analytical mind, I'm sure so it's quite fitting. I don't imagine that there'd be difficulties.

And no, you certainly aren't wasting your time starting the PC at pre-mage. Not everything is about skills and skill points and it can be all the more interesting if you have to work towards something IC. So I'd say, go for it! Embrace the challenges that it presents you with, is what I say!

I hope that this helped but if not, don't hesitate to PM me to ask for clarification or ask Whisper (Viden's other mod) about what you should do!

All the best,

Banshee
Banshee
Storyteller - Rank 1
Storyteller - Rank 1

Race: Prophet
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Medals: 1
Storyteller (1)

Postby Vaelis » Sat May 12, 2018 11:36 am

Thanks Banshee! Makes a lot more sense now. Think that clears up enough for me to submit a sheet. I appreciate the advice!
Vaelis

Race: Eídisi

Postby Banshee » Sat May 12, 2018 11:46 am

No worries, Vaelis. If you have any further queries, don't hesitate to contact either myself or Whisper. Good luck and remember to have fun!
Banshee
Storyteller - Rank 1
Storyteller - Rank 1

Race: Prophet
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Medals: 1
Storyteller (1)

Return to The Character Workshop