• Graded • Tales of Misfortune.

With the escalation of hostilities between Etzos and Rhakros, a series of small walled towns is being established as a network of early warnings and defenses against Rhakros' reprisals. Only the very bravest and most formidable of characters should risk themselves on the Witches' Wilds frontier.

Moderator: Basilisk Snek

Gangui
Approved Character
Race: Mixed Race
Profession: Faction Leader
Renown: 196
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Tales of Misfortune.

Finn blinked at the slouching miscreant. Gangui’s heavy hands stained his tunic with splatters of blood while he tried to make sense of what the barbarous man was saying. A trill passed before he answered with a tightening in his right shoulder, shooting down his veins and into his wrist where his hand clutched the dagger until his knuckles were white-hot with vengeance. “You’re right. If we let him go he’ll just attack the next passerby”

“No, no I won’t!” Gutter sputtered. “I swear, I’ll leave this place and I’ll never come back and-”

One foot planted itself in front of the other, and the bandit was silenced once more as Finn closed the distance between with slow, deliberate steps. He turned and shot a questioning look over his shoulder. “Why can’t you do it?”

“I’ve killed the other two already Finn,” Gangui said curtly, “I am trying to teach you how to survive in Etzos and be a good person. No one else will. They are evil. And the way you are acting is not the way that is true Etzori liberty is. This man wants to imitate Immortals, because they can’t handle being good.”

A frown shot across Finn’s face. Gangui made simple things sound complicated yet mesmerizing, but it was true that he’d already slain the majority of the raiders. When he turned his head toward Gutter’s puffy, scratched face however, his resolve faltered. This was not a cruel bandit who dragged women off their horses and into the wilderness, this was merely a very large sack of meat, bawling and stuttering and making other feeble noises that Finn had never heard before. How could he take the life a man-sized baby? It wasn’t right.

“Immortals have m-m-mercy…” the blabbering sound came as the man gave up on any mortal’s change of heart, casting his eyes toward the heavens instead.

“This man doesn’t look like it now,” Gangui pointed at the man’s face, “But he is Faldrun. He is Lissira. He is Raskalorn. Everything that the Immortals are he follows, but not consciously. He was mentally inoculated by these Immortals to live lawlessly. The Immortals arn’t the real creators of the universe, but merely servants of this beautiful creation, so they made us their slaves, because they are evil. And this man,” Gangui spit, “Is so weak he choose to follow that same line of thinking, to make people like YOU their slaves. To steal your money and your life. And they’ll never stop. I want you to choose the good path, Finn, I want you to see these people for who they truly are: Leeches on the back of the free market!

The last words the barbarian spoke were full of the hot iron that was his determined will.

The rough cotton of his tunic wiped across his mouth before Finn gave a curt nod. He’d heard, and he’d understood.

“Immortals have mercy! immortals have mercy. . .I’m a good soul I have offered to you all I could spare, I have given you what you wanted now save a humble live!” the man didn’t even look at them anymore, his eyes had closed and he muttered the names of the immortals he’d prayed to throughout his lifetime. “Sintra. Aelig. Lissira. Faldrun.

Finn sneered at their names. The air didn’t rumble with Immortal vengeance, and no divine creature stepped from between the trees to save this useless pawn. It proved how wicked the immortals truly were and how little they cared for their mortal pets. He raised the dagger to Gutter’s throat and the silvery tip trembled in a vale ray of sunlight breaking through the overcast.

Steely fingers clamped the boy’s hand and slowly forced the blade against the man’s throat. The trembling man did not move. Finn stared at the squishy flesh was pricked with the edge of destiny’s razor. A single drop of blood seeped onto the blade and trickled onto Finn’s cold finger.

Gangui stopped, “Finn, we will do this together, I got your back,” His voice was firm and ominously slow.

The muscle in his arms bunched. One hand shot out to seize the man’s face while the other clutched the knife and yanked the blade across.

Gurgling erupted into a stream of blood, briefly spraying the boy in the chest as the life drained out of his eyes. The body thumped onto the floor almost as quickly as he died. Blood splattered on Finn’s feet as he stared into the dark red pool that was slowly surrounding him.

The mustachio finally released his grip. “It is done.”

A heavy breath escaped him as the dagger slipped from his grasp and fell uselessly to his side. He stared at the convulsing body for a moment, thinking that perhaps the man was still alive, but after a few trills the movements stopped and all was still except for his racing heart. Scrunching up his nose he looked down at his clothes in disgust and felt the warmth of the bandit’s blood seep through the cotton. He opened and closed his mouth a few times, like a fish washed ashore before he finally mustered the will to speak again. “I never killed someone before,” he muttered. “I didn’t think it’d be so messy.” Still crouched before the slain bandit his eyes turned to Gangui, hungry for approval, a word of encouragement perhaps.
Last edited by Gangui on Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total. word count: 936
Finnegan O'Connor
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: The Moglin
Renown: 146
Character Sheet
Plot Notes

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Hook, line and sinker

Finn O'Connor
:: 96th Ashan, 717
Heavy iron gauntlets sounded as the armored man walked away from Finn. A gust of wind blew rustling the leaves of the trees around them. Suddenly the sunlight grew dim as clouds passed by. The life around them became dense and somber. The wheel of the flipped wagon creaking as it still turned until it stopped, leaving the forest silent. The birds stopped chirping and even the insects ceased scurrying around.

Turning back around he looked at the motionless child with sorrow in his eyes. He pushed back the emotions that was the sadness of truth. Finn was finally understand the fight he had on his hands and about to embark on the glory that which was the path of justice.

A single steel finger pointed at the corpse, “When these people are forced to show accountability for their actions,” There was a lot he had to tell Finn now that the deed was done, “They do this disgusting thing that you just witnessed Finn. Think of their attitude when they were mere moments from killing you! Remember it!” He didn’t yell loudly, but the bass in his voice cut through the silence.

“They act all effeminate. Wait, no,” He wiped his face, “I apologize, that is an insult to women. It’s more like a perversion. It is this thing, where they grovel at your feet and lick your boots pretending to show servitude. They put on sweet innocent faces - as you saw- but they arn’t. They are grown men, running around impeding on your life.” Gangui’s eyes lit up as he pointed at the sky, “But when you get them in their actual position on this earth: worms on the ground- they act different. They will play with your emotions and squeeze everything they can from you, even your soul!

For all intents and purposes, Finn might as well have been the one slain for he remained just as motionless as the heavy corpse. When he stirred it was only because his shoulders sunk a little further while Gangui raged against the cowards that roamed the land. A few trills after the moustachio had barked all the birds out of the trees, Finn raised himself and scurried over to the bandit, and closed the man’s eyes before picking up the dagger and turning towards Gangui. His face was red, redder even than Gangui’s had been when they’d first met, and something burned in his eyes, though he tried very hard to keep it at bay. “What. . . what do we do now?”

“Not only is this going on, this two face bullshit,” The warrior collected his thoughts and tried to explain to Finn what they would do now, “They are… jelly faced slackers who are no better than a fried egg on a chair.” Gangui moved his hands as he tried to describe them in terms a child would understand.

The boy responded with some strange mixture of a snort and a laugh. “Fried egg on a chair?” He hadn’t come much closer to smiling than this in all of the bells he’d worked under Gangui, but his glee faded as soon as it appeared.

“That is the culture of this, this, the worship of the Immortals that will eventually kill them. But,” Gangui emphasized, “But you got to remember that these hordes of people do not know they have been sabotaged. They are not aware of what they do most of the time. Finn do you understand? You can ask me any questions.”

He nodded, but whether he did so out of self-preservation or because he truly understood what Gangui was trying to teach him remained a mystery. “So we can just kill them?” There was a slight venom in his voice now, some disbelief that would take more than a few trials of hard labour to stamp out.

“They are like adults in diapers!” He said again and waved his hands, he hadn’t the right words maybe, “That’s how their evil souls are anyways,” He shook his head and stared off into the distant imagining these scumbags, “But that’s another subject Finn.” Hopefully the kid understood, he had to continue, “We can’t just kill them, that’s what I am trying to explain so you could understand,”

He stepped in front of Finn, “On the surface they are nice and happy people asking for you to do things in a way they make you want to listen to them”, He mocked them by moving around in a funny weird way that was not normal to human behavior, moving his arms in shoulders, “On the surface they are like this: ‘I’m so poor. I’m so helpless. I’m so noble. Gonna kill you. Gonna kill you. Gonna kill you.” His imitation had the shrieking voice of a large man trying to act like a tiny rodent.

Suddenly he stepped forward into Finn, his entire demeanor changing and his voice returning to a much louder version of the gravely hollering Finn had heard earlier, “But inside their heads they are really like this,” Gangui clenched his fists at his waist and looked up to the sky with anger, “WE ARE THE IMMORTAL INVASION FORCE!” He made a wordless growl that sounded like a demon, “TAKE THEIR MONEY, FONDLE THEIR WIVES, AND PENETRATE THEIR CHILDREN!”

Gangui released his impersonation and paced a couple steps, “I’m not joking Finn.”
word count: 920
Gangui
Approved Character
Race: Mixed Race
Profession: Faction Leader
Renown: 196
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Tales of Misfortune.

He might have laughed if Gangui hadn’t stood so frighteningly close and hadn’t bellowed so disturbingly loudly. Instead, he reeled and retreated a pace from the armoured barbarian. The eyes of the patriot were deadly serious and Finn almost longed back to working for Caltweld. The ex-sailor was a harsh man, but at least he wasn’t prone to fits of barking madness at moment’s notice. He swallowed and answered with a feeble voice, devoid of sincerity. “As you say.”

The large man knelt down and got on Finn’s level again, “Finn we can’t just kill these people until they reveal their true selves to you and commit an actual crime. Their intentions might be horrendous, but intentions and temptations are not crimes. You can only kill them if they took action. If they reveal the fact they are in league with the Immortals. Understand? It’s okay to kill the servants of Immortals. The tricky part is. Sometimes they don’t know they are under the grasp of the tyrants. Do you see how difficult this is to understand at least? How hard it is to gauge and judge people’s souls?”

Softness fueled the rebellious mind. “I can certainly judge you,” Finn bit back harshly as he stomped around Gangui and approached the edge of the road, glancing down the incline to where the cart had broken on a tree. Part of him wished Gangui would’ve fallen with the cart and would’ve broken his bones on a tree. He had not chosen to work for the raging patriot, nor did he get anything but food and lodgings out of the whole endeavour, and that was only if he was lucky. In the span of just a trial, Gangui had made all his muscles ache from hard labour and turned him into a murderer too. Gangui’s world was a nightmare from which there was no escape. He scowled at the barbarian. “Don’t think you’re any better. You’re full of crap. . .”

Steely fists shot out and grabbed the boy by his collar and shook, violently but not hard enough to hurt him, “You’re not supposed to like me boy!” Pulling the boy’s collar down towards the floor, as quick as lightning Finn was getting whooped again like that one day in that tavern in Etzos, “You. Don’t. Understand.” He spoke between each strike. “What. I. Am. Telling. You. About.” He stopped, “What I am explaining is the reality of Etzos. You just think you know it all. You think you were prepared for what happened today? What if I wasn’t here?”

Finn squirmed the same as before, clawing at Gangui, kicking at his abdomen and against the man’s armoured shins. “Let me go!” At least he was spared the embarrassment of an audience this time. “I don’t need you! I AM HERE BECAUSE OF YOU! THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT!”

“Huh?” He wouldn’t let Finn up until he understood, “I can’t hear you!”

Gangui was lucky to wear to gauntlets, or else Finn would’ve bitten down into the man’s arm. Instead he clenched his jaw and jabbed his elbow towards the man’s chest. He didn’t care that he’d hurt himself more against the plate armour, he only cared that he resisted until his last breath. It was the Etzori way.

“This. Is. Not. Acceptable.” Gangui said spanking him again, “Your. Mind. It’s. IT’s.” He stopped again, “It’s been controlled by the Immortals. What you are doing is not true resistance. This is not how we fight the Immortals. We do so by… by...” He continued the whooping. “Spitting. In. The. Face. Of. Truth. And. Wisdom!”

He could not escape Gangui’s hold, but he managed to turn at least and his hands shot out toward the barbarian’s face, trying to claw the man’s eyes out.

Gangui leaned back out of the kid’s reach and brought down his elbow to pin the boy’s movements, “Do you understand!? Huh!?”

The air was forced from his lungs. One trill passed, still he defied. Then another, and another, while his face grew red-hot. Fat tears welled up in his eyes and still he didn’t submit, but Gangui could sense the strength fading away. It wasn’t until an involuntary wheezing cough forced itself out that he finally croaked the magic words. “Y-yes.” He blinked furiously at the rugged face looming over him. “I understand. . .”

The vice like grip of his steely fingers finally released it’s grasp on Finn. Gangui stood up and started down at the boy. The air blew and the clouds revealed the sun again, brightening up the entire scene again, lifting the shadowy gloom from their bodies. The birds began to chirp again and the insects moved.

“We must gather our spoils and salvage what we can from this cart.” the mustachio bellowed, “You killed Gutter,” He pointed at the corpse, “You may take any untainted property off his corpse. Come back to me once you’ve done this and I’ll show you what’s next.” The warrior waited for Finn to move.

Groaning, Finn rolled over and scrambled to his feet. His bones hurt, his limbs hurt, even breathing hurt, but he was quick to dry his eyes and deny Gangui the pleasure of seeing him limping toward Gutter’s corpse. No, he forced himself to walk normally, as normally as he could manage before he dropped to his knees again before the bandit and started to pat down the fat man in search of any valuable belongings. As he cut loose the man’s purse, he thought only of Gangui the barbarian. As he took the strips of dried beef jerky from the man’s pouch, he thought only of Gangui the barbarian. Even as he unclasped the hilt from the man’s belt, his only thought was of how much he hated Gangui. The man’s boots were a few sizes too large for him, but of much better make than his own, which he carelessly kicked of and threw aside.

Swooping in the warrior took the boots out of boy’s hands, “Screw these boots. I’ll give you new boots. This man’s clothes are soiled with the taint.”

Finn scowled at Gangui, but didn’t fight.

The mustachio looked back as if he could understand everything the boy was thinking, “Your eyes are full of hate, Finn. You have the spirit to fight me, but you have the good sense to hold yourself back and learn. This is good. Hate keeps you alive. It gives you strength!”

Finn’s eyes narrowed into hateful little slits. “Better be careful I don’t become stronger than you,” he said.

Gangui chuckled, “It’s time you learned about the Free Market…”

He lacked the strength and courage to roll his eyes at the Etzori, nor did he utter any words of protest. Gangui looked like he could dole out another beating and Finn wasn’t taking any chances. Instead he grimly went about his work alongside the mustachio as they worked to recover the cart and its contents. It was dark by the time the bodies had been disposed off. The dirt was left in the forest and the back of the cart was filled instead with what they had looted from the bandits.

By the time the wagon hobbled back into Foster’s Landing Finn had fallen into a deep slumber and the same hands that held the reigns now carried him into the drafty hut and onto a bed of straw.

Dawn was less than ten bells away and there was much work left to be done. In time, the boy would learn.
word count: 1314
Muse
Prophet of Old
Race: Prophet
Renown: 0
Plot Notes
Office
Templates

Contribution

Tales of Misfortune.

Your review is ready!
Etzos' lost children. This was a wild ride, a mental trip, a weird read, a bloody mess. Gangui really believes in what he's doing with this eerie sense of weighted and crazed conviction ... and Finn spends quite a bit of time afraid and confused.

Finn

XP:
15 | These points cannot be used for magic.

Fame:
+2 Staying the course, +3 Taking out those bandits

Loot

+20gn in various coinage from the bodies (your half)

Injuries + Overstepping

Bruises and such, healed now.

Knowledge

Skill Knowledge:
Blades (Dagger): Cutting a bandit’s throat
Endurance: Sleeping on a thin mattress of straw.
Endurance: Taking a beating in silence.
Unarmed Combat: Full body tackle.
Unarmed Combat: Wildly kicking and punching.
Running: Fleeing from a skirmish.
Discipline: Silently obeying Gangui’s orders.
Strength: Carrying crates until your arms are sore.
Strength: Carrying buckets full of dirt.
Philosophy: Inoculated people are unconscious of their Immortal Worship.
Discipline: Hard work is rewarding.

Other Knowledge:
Gangui: Barbarous
Gangui: Wielder of Liberty
Gangui: A competent fighter
Gangui: Has your back.
Gangui: One hand giveth, one hand taketh.
Gangui

XP:
15 | These points cannot be used for magic.

Fame:
+3 Killing bandits, +2 Keeping Finn in line

Loot

+20gn in various coinage from the bodies (your half)

Injuries + Overstepping

Knowledge

Skill Knowledge:
Blades (Bastard Sword): Three-Step Bound Attack
Blades (Bastard Sword): Disarm by severing limbs.
Blades (Bastard Sword): The sweet spot where you can hit them, but they can’t hit you.
Blades (Bastard Sword): Parrying Maces
Blades (Bastard Sword): Smashing through a skull
Blades (Bastard Sword): Anti-Blunt Technique
Blades (Bastard Sword): Charging Strikes
Blades (Bastard Sword): Taking on three enemies at once
Blades (Bastard Sword): Sword Discipline.
Blades (Bastard Sword): Sweeping Strikes
Strength: Hard Work

Other Knowledge:
Finn: Bastard from Etzos
Finn: Problem child with a strong will
Finn: Has a lot of undiscovered potential
Finn: Headed down the path of a true Etzori.
If you've got a question or concern or if I've missed anything, don't hesitate to PM me!

Now that your review is complete,
don’t forget go back to your review post here and drop this image in!

Code: Select all

[center][img]/gallery/image.php?album_id=39&image_id=12206[/img][/center]
word count: 381
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Outlying Cities”