• Closed • Tension

Kura and Lavana Meet

Almund is a thriving township with a dark side. With houses made from the wooden bodies of decommissioned ships, there are many opportunities here, coupled with many dangers.

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Kura Wolfsdotter
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Council Member
Renown: 765
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Tension

Timestamp: 3rd of Zi'da, 718

Kura wasn't a particularly huge fan of Almund, though she had to visit the place semi-frequently for work. The place was the biggest reminder of the Island's past as a pirate haven, and Kura found the chaos and disorder that remained in Almund quite unpleasant, to say nothing of the danger factor. Still, she had mostly concluded her business in the area for now and it was time to start heading home. But before she started her way home, she'd need something to eat on the way.

There was a butcher shop on her way out of town, so she stopped there. "Half pound of halfrein flank, please." she said, directing her order at the counter manager. She was distracted though, and didn't immediately notice who was taking her order. There'd been some kind of tomfoolery regarding a letter being improperly delivered, and she was reading the report from that as she ordered.
word count: 167
Please send all PM's to my Basilisk account.
Lavana Tharn
Approved Character
Renown: 0
Character Sheet
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Tension

Tharn
Day in and day out the process hadn't changed much, meat, paper string tie the knot and boom here you go.

She wasnt exactly allowed to carv the carcasses that hung in the back room, brought in by hunters and farmers that lacked the stomach for those kinds of jobs.

But every once in a great while she could trim fat off the meat, she got to play with some of the knives sometimes if she was lucky. And today seemed like such a day as her fingers danced in giddy anticipation as she snatched the finely honed blade off the wooden hanger.

Like clock work in a repeated purgatory the customer came in and ordered.

Meat plopped on her station, and shed trim the fat off the flank with great care and tender precision. There was a difference between marble and copious amounts of fat as her scalpel sharp filet blade flayed and cleaned off the flesh.

Flank steak flopped on the papper, she wrapped the meat up like a gift cut some twine and tied it rather nicely.

"Here you go, have a good trial mam"

She had a standard smock on, dingy with splotches of animal juices on the fabric. Her pendant hung around her neck, but tucked under the fabric of her shirt held by twine as she couldnt afford a silver chain.

Pleasant amber eyes, warm smile offering her a parcel of fresh meat that she sort of jangled in the preoccupied womans face to catch her attention.

"By the way, you should be more mindful. Theres another serial killer out loose, calling himself the prince of eternal mercies.

Heard he likes the pretty ones."

She pointed at the poster with her blade.

It was a leaflet with a bird man plastered on it going by the name cuckoo and the moniker prince of eternal mercies. His reward was -Ten Thousand- gold nel its alot of money life changing even. The manager thought it would be a service if the public got a good look at that criminal, and Lavana loved her some good old fashion street justice. The mob the fires and torches and pitchforks it was a real party.
word count: 368
Kura Wolfsdotter
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Tension

Kura nodded and reached out for the package without really looking up, but when the carver tried to get her attention, Kura looked up, grinning slightly. Then she saw who was doing the carving and stared in shock for a moment. "What are you doing here!?" she said in surprise. She opened her mouth to speak again, but then she heard the door open behind her and turned to look at who came in, stepping away from the counter. The newcomers were a family, small children. She couldn't put them at risk, so tossed the Nel for the meat on the counter, then stepped back to lean against the wall as the family stepped forward. "I'll wait for you to get off work. We'll...catch up then." she said, before stepping out of the building. Hopefully, Valtharn was in a peaceful mood.

She didn't know how long Valtharn would take to get off work, but Kura was patient. When her old friend emerged, Kura let her step away from the butcher shop before she stepped forward. "Working in a butcher shop, Valtharn? Bit of a step down for you." she said, stepping forward. She had her bow in her hand, with an arrow to the string, but she didn't have it drawn when she stepped forward. She could pull it in a second though, and Phelan, still in spirit form and thus invisible, was standing between them.

"But given the last time I saw you, you had completely lost your damn mind, I have to ask again. What are you doing here?" she said, her tone intense. She was not going to brook Valtharn as a threat to her island. More than that, however, she remembered when Valtharn had once been a heroic and honorable warrior, had been her friend. If Valtharn was still insane, as was likely, Kura would kill her than for no other reason than to spare her from the monster she had become.
word count: 332
Lavana Tharn
Approved Character
Character Sheet

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Tension

Tharn
There was a certain strangeness about the transaction that irked Lavana. How she was questioned with what are you doing here, and how the woman braced herself against a wall staring her down. Lavana did not like that much at all, she was trying to figure out what her problem was as she happily attended other customers.

It was one of those things that sort of ate away at her during her shift, maybe she was trying to ask her out on a date. It put a smile on her face as she begrudgingly went through the rest of her typical work day. Thoughts of being charmed, swooned off her feat. It was really something Lavana was looking forward too, she seemed to put that gods awful look behind her expecting it to be a girl seduced by her charms, maybe it wasnt hostility maybe it was worry like she was working up the nerve to come talk to her.

She wondered to herself as she sort of swiped at her shmock as she smeared blood off her hands, as she tried to run her fingers through her hair to try and make herself acceptable for public viewing.

When it was time to head out, she was expecting a much different meeting as she stepped through the door.

"I thought Valtharn had a giant scar that ran down her face" Lavana touched her cheek with her finger and streaked down."Killing people just cause they look like someone, im almost thinking your a bad bitch just like her then" Lavana chuckled a bit using dark humor to shield herself "I was expecting a date, but it looks like your going to pierce my heart another way" she seemed to think as she paused for a moment letting the reality of what happened sink in.

So she did look like Valtharn so maybe it was true her mother was Raskalarn, she was really trying to figure it out and process it. There was perplexity and confusion.

Standing in the middle of a town with an arrow notched in your bow though, that could draw alot of unwanted attention.

"So I do look like Valtharn" the real difference between the two despite the scar was there aging, Lavana never broke her domains open and tapped into them. However Valtharn had. This girl despite being the same age as her alleged sister was most likely a younger looking version because of this.

This really wasnt what she was expecting today
word count: 418
Kura Wolfsdotter
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Tension

When Valtharn, or rather the woman who looked like her, ran her finger down her face to emulate Valtharn's scar, Kura blinked. She was right, Valtharn was scarred, Kura had seen that wound when it was fresh, it would never heal properly without magic or Blessings getting involved, and Valtharn had always been particular about keeping her scars. Felt they were a badge of honor. More than that, this woman's manner of speaking, her body language, they were all off. "If I'd wanted to kill you outright, I wouldn't have started a conversation with you. And I do apologize that you gathered the impression that I had a romantic interest, it was never my intent to lead you on." she said, her tone a genuine apology. However, the note about "really looking like Valtharn" caught her attention.

After a moment, Kura put her arrow and bow away, looking rather embarrassed. "My apologies, I should have made sure first. But you're right, barring the scar and some other, more minor differences, the two of you are identical. You even have the same voice." she said, shaking her head. "Of course, I know who you are, at least in macro." she said, leaning against another wall. She knew that Phelan hadn't relaxed his guard, but the wolf was always edgy around strangers. "You're her sister, by blood. Raskalarn's daughter. Until now, I believed you were a rumor, or that you were dead. Our kind, we don't tend to remain anonymous for very long. Our powers reveal our existence." she said, shaking her head.

Then she held up her hand. "Don't worry, I won't tell the Empress where you are, and I've no intention of harming you. I don't work for the Imperial government right now, and I figure you must have some reason for hiding from your mother." she said, before shaking herself. "Where are my manners, I never introduced myself. My name is Kura Mareth. You probably heard of me as either Kura Wolfsdotter or The Imperial Owl, if you were in the empire for any length of time." she said, nodding at the other woman.
word count: 368
Lavana Tharn
Approved Character
Character Sheet

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Tension

Tharn
Hrmmm.... So wait...your telling me im a princess, but you want me to continue to live in this filthy wretched place in squalor?" She quirked a brow at Kura, she really didnt know what to make of her as she jangled that name around. "What if i want my mom to know, wouldnt that be your civic duty to inform her?" She seemed to think more about who the owl was, she was having difficulty recalling information that far back. But it seemed Kura might have had her pegged all wrong. "So, whats wrong with me? Why wasnt I good enough? What did I do that was so horrible that I got dumped off in an orphanage?" She seemed to be thinking, as she was steadily trying to hold back her emotional upheavals as a hundred thirty years of problems were bugging her trying to break free she just wasnt a tirade kinda gal. "I deserted when word reached me that....my sister Valtharn, killed my adopted father. So i ran after her thinking i could do something about it... and here i am... she stopped real quick at the mentions of magic.

Ive got magic? I didnt know that either, how do you do it? I wonder what i can do, i bet its cool, id like something with dragons and jacadons... Maybe she was born broken, maybe that was why she had so little worth in her immortal parents eyes. Not knowing she had domains herself, the thought lingered like a painfully slow venom that maybe that was it. Maybe she just didnt have any powers as she was still trying to make peace with the fact that yes shed been discarded.

"So, im not even noble im royal pretty much above those petty rynmere socialites? So its legitimate, then?" she put her finger on her chin thinking. "Well I shall be addressed as nothing less then a princess, please take a knee" she was experimenting with this alleged revelation, appraising its value and merit from the actions of the one receiving instruction. "If your truly not out to harm me, you shall send a missive to my mom... err... the empress she has three seasons, not four not five only three seasons and thats it. I will stand on this rock, she has all but to show up and claim me and I will yield in unconditional surrender. Not her champions, not her men, herself and only herself and I will go back willingly with a bend of the knee." It was Lavanas alleged royal proclamation, her treatise and declaration of defeat. "that sounds good right?" She hadnt a clue what she said other then it sounded fancy, she was no expert on political maneuvering.

Karem... that was it Kura, she think may have been her daughter the wolf might have been a tell. She still felt in danger the wolf wasnt helping, but the idea of knowing her sister made this a dangerous obstacle ond that needed to be overcome a hundred and thirty years later the girl wanted answers that had elluded her and bothered her throughout the entirety of her existance. The difference was Lavana wanted to see this firsthand, not be dragged back court marshalled and hung on a lie. Kura had made the right decision to let her do things on her terms, tempted her nature but didnt force herself on her.

"Its nice to meet you Kura im Lavana.

Lavana was too preoccupied to let the feelings of dread over take her, she was doing her best but found comfort in knowing it was her way. She would remove the element of doubt and fear, shed keep her promise she stay three seasons.

"So what was she like? My sister? Id been on the after math of every one of my sisters campaigns, my adopted father used to bring me and tell me stories of her conquests. What was she really like?"

She seemed enthralled as her amber eyes wanted to soak in stories about Valtharn, not her campaign victories but who she was as a person and maybe shine light on what happened.
word count: 695
Kura Wolfsdotter
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Tension

Kura raised an eyebrow at the woman's comment about living in squalor, but didn't really comment until the civic duty comment came up. "If you want her to know, I can tell her certainly. But some of our kind prefer to keep their identities from their parents. Those born of Faldrun, for instance." she said, noting that this one didn't seem to know much about Mortalborn. Kura guessed she hadn't settled in one place for very long, probably to avoid her lack of aging becoming an issue. Then came up the matter of why she hadn't been raised by Raskalarn. "Orphanage? That's where you wound up?" she said in surprise, before shaking her head. "I'd guess you were put in an orphanage to conceal your identity. But it wasn't your mother that put you there." she said, grimacing. "Here's the thing, everyone knew you existed, but until the rumors started up after your birth fathers death, everyone thought you were dead." she said, before pausing in thought as something occurred to her. "You were stillborn, your father took you away from the empress to prepare your body for the funeral. But that's...that shouldn't be possible for Mortalborn. So why were you stillborn...and how are you alive now..." she said, somewhat lost in thought.

When the other woman began considering her domains, Kura shrugged. "Hard to tell what your Domains are until your powers develop. I'd guess your domains are how you're alive, though. And while you might have a Jacodon domain, I wouldn't bet on a Dragon domain. From what I've gathered, they are not somethin' our powers meld with." she said, grimacing. An Immortal or Mortalborn with a Dragon domain, her mother had told her once, would be the single most powerful being Idalos had ever seen. Fortunately, her mother said, it was also utterly impossible.

Then the other woman started on her...attempt at regal proclamation and Kura just got more and more amused the longer she went, though she hadn't made any move to take a knee. "Couple of things, lass. The Eternal Empire is a meritocracy, remember? Princess is somethin' of a family name there, not a rank. Basically means you're Raskalarn's daughter, but it doesn't give you rank. As it stands, I was part of the High Courts, one of your mothers advisors, before I had to leave. And now I'm one of the rulers of Scalvoris, so...no, not bowin' to much of anybody besides your mother at a formal occasion, or a particularly important political ally." she said, looking more amused than anything. "And if you ever go into politics, that kind of authoritarian message is a good way to be offendin' people." she said, before she walked up to Phelan and tapped him on the head.

The wolf sat back down into a relaxed position and looked up at Kura with his tongue hanging out of his mouth. "But I can be sendin' your mum a message about where to be findin' you." she said, grinning slightly. "Phelan, reach out to my mum, tell her I found Raskalarn's missin' child, would you?" she said, cheerfully. Phelan yipped and acquired a very distracted look. "Nice to meet you too, Lavana." she said, grinning.

When Lavana asked about her sister, Kura sighed. "Valtharn had been my friend when we were younger, before she lost her bloody mind. But she'd always been...over eager, in hindsight. Pre-disposed towards violence, thanks to her Domains. But she seemed in control of them for a long time, violent though she was, we thought she'd be a hero. Kind of a messed up sense of humor, to be sure, and she was always after laughin' at somethin' or another. Don't think she could control those laughin' fits of hers, honestly." she said, shaking her head. "In the end though, I think her Domains overcame her willpower. Savagery, Torture, and Murder, never a good mix. But even the worst Domains can be turned to good. But each Domain has it's...spirits. I think the Spirits of Valtharn's Domains resented being turned to good. Eventually, I think they overcame her, took control of her." she said, before sighing. "I don't think she's even still in there anymore, to be honest."
word count: 740
Aegis
Prophet of Old
Race: Prophet
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

Staff

Miscellaneous

Tension

"So bow, Kura Mareth."

The voice was cold, demanding, and came from behind the two prattling mortalborn women. A tall woman stood there, hair darker than a crow in the morning fog, eyes piercing emeralds, with a sheathed broadsword upon her back. Her heavy armor shone brightly, showed no evidence of wear nor tear. The woman stepped forward toward them, her eyes first falling upon the daughter of wolves. The intensity in the gaze was coupled with the indiscernible motive therein.

"This is very much a formal occasion. So bow, Kura Mareth." Her gaze slowly shifted to fall onto Lavana. "For I am here to see my daughter."

The woman stood tall and proud, not worried about the gaze of onlookers who spoke and pointed at her in hushed tones, not caring that many shut their doors, worried about what this woman, this being, might do.

"You demand nothing from me, child."

Lavana would be able to sense that Raskalarn was considering slapping her across the face. But her hand was stayed. "You are a disappointment. I gave you the only thing a child of mine ever needs. I gave you my strength. And what have you done with it? Cry to the daughter of wolves? Abandoned your duties that you gave yourself? You waste the gift I gave you. Perhaps you were a mistake after all."

So fast, it was hard for either woman to follow perfectly, Raskalarn drew her broadsword. Not in an attack, but held it out, point down, in front of the two women. Her muscular arm did not waver for a moment under the weight as she held the master forged blade. "This sword knows more discipline than you, child," she sneered. "Your sister may have been a failure as well, but hers was a failure in reaching further than her strength would allow. You." Her jaw clenched a bit, "You blame your faults on me? No. Your weakness is your own. You've done nothing with the life I've given you."

She sheathed the sword once more. "Your life isn't even worth returning to me. You've ruined the power I gave you. My greatest failure. One I shall not make again." She moved to turn away, "Kura Mareth. Do not call on me for this petulant namesake of mine again. If you do, you will find yourself unable to call anyone again."

Raskalarn turned and began to walk away.
word count: 408
Lavana Tharn
Approved Character
Character Sheet

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Tension

Tharn
She was starting to forget her problems, as she was having fun with Kura she felt loafty like she was dancing on air. Bantering and prattling but it was nice, she felt special and really she did enjoy that moment of fairytale splendor. Lavana would indeed treasure it as a precious keep sake.

Lavana was having so much fun with Kuras wit and charm she kept opening up more and more taking interest in what was said about her sister, that shed been utterly blind sided not by the fact Karem was her mother but by her own immortal parent.

Her mother had shown up out of nowhere, and Lavana was all smiles expecting a picture perfect moment. It was quickly smashed and as the fragments of her dream broke and blew away with the four winds she had flinched expecting to be hit.

Lavana could have stepped up and said something, could have gone on a tirade about what she had accomplished that she gave her no life that shed been birthed stillborn and had survived clasping onto life for a hundred and thirty years. Lavana could have gone on about how was she supposed to be the ideal child, if she wasnt at least shown the way. But no, it wasnt discipline or steely nerves it was confirmation and revelation she swallowed what little of her self respect she had left.

But she kept her head low, gritting her teeth as her hand reached for her arm as she comforted herself, those words stung and wounded her and seemed to seep poison that lingered long after the waves of verbal lashings had stopped. She wasnt taking this well, shed almost been shot dead in the street, accosted befriended and discarded all in a matter of minutes.

It hurt, it hurt bad and alot of the stuff she went on about simply wasnt true Lavana never blamed her mother and up until now she simply never knew her, there was a glimmer of possibility naturally hopes wants and desires built on maybes and the unknown but the truth was it had only just unveiled to Lavana, in fact she was still just trying to process it.

"Its fine if you dont want me, but Im happy to have met you. And I do love you and thank you for your gifts, but one thing before you go, I never blamed you; not once. I blamed myself, and my judgment was right.

Im inspired to know i come from such stock. Your greatest failure cheated death out the womb, I only wonder what your greatest triumph would be. Maybe someday Ill meet someone with the strength and discipline to illuminate the path to greatness.

And maybe if im lucky a hundred years from now ill be worthy of at least a hello."

She turned to Kura and kept her head low her eyes were weeping but she wasnt sniveling, Lavana was breathing with some difficulty before she nodded to her. Raskalarns daughter was crushed under her mothers heel, but at least she had the answer.

"Thank you Kura, Ill never forget today."

Lavana straightened her posture breathing in through her nose to stabilize herself, as she turned and walked away thats when shed wipe her eyes. Shed have the dignity to sob in the comfort of her room, as shed been disowned and publicly humiliated.
word count: 566
Kura Wolfsdotter
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Tension

Kura could see Lavana was getting engrossed in the tales of her sister and how she had been lost. Then she heard a familiar voice and turned to bow at the Divine Empress. "Welcome, your majesty." she said, her voice formal. Then Raskalarn started speaking to Lavana and Kura frowned for a moment, then sighed. They had said her name three times, she'd forgotten that rule. Usually she was more circumspect than that, but meeting Raskalarn's missing daughter had thrown her off balance. She kept silent through Raskalarn's lecture, though she raised an eyebrow at the implied threat. She had been working, directly or indirectly, for Raskalarn for over a century, she didn't believe that for a moment. Outing both her and Lavana, though, that was an issue.

Lavana's response showed she'd taken the lecture to heart through, and she could tell the other Mortalborn was hurt by the Empress's words. When both women, turned to leave, however, the Imperial Owl just rolled her eyes and reached out to Lavana. "Hold just a moment. There is aught you need to know still. But first, I must have a word with your mother." she said, before she walked over to the black armored form of her Empress, standing close so she could keep her voice down.

"With all due respect, your Majesty, what the hell are you doin'? You made a big fuss that you weren't supposed to be identified here last time we met, and that our connection was supposed to be a secret, but then you make this big presentation? Are you tryin' to alert the guy you want me to be huntin' that we know he's here? Or for that matter, paintin' a target on your daughters back?" she asked, as politely as possible, though her voice was hissed under her breath.
word count: 313
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Almund”