• PM To Join • Making Friends (Vega)

Roland makes some friends the old fashioned way.

Almund is a thriving township with a dark side. With houses made from the wooden bodies of decommissioned ships, there are many opportunities here, coupled with many dangers.

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Roland Demira
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Broker
Renown: 77
Character Sheet
Templates
Wealth Tier: Tier 4

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Making Friends (Vega)

Forty fourth of Z'ida, a little after midday.
Roland had procured more heavy clothing because, of course, as Z'ida progressed, the weather just got shittier. What used to be mere stinging wind and obscuring snow had become a literal swarm of stinging ice hornets, blasting in every direction to any who might be dumb enough to wander around outside. Today, it would be Roland who was that dumb. He had actually thought that he might peruse the town hall of Almund and try to delve into some of the secrets that the era of the Pirate Lords held. That was before he had realized how ridiculous the weather was. He had chosen, instead, to wander into the relative safety of the Bazaar. With the hideous weather, at least there were tents and tarps strung to provide some kind of escape from the elements.

Once inside, he took to seeking out a merchant of woolen items, looking for a pair of black wool pants to match his coat. Fashion was nice, but being warm and not in white in the middle of the occasional blizzard was even nicer. it took some browsing, but he eventually found a pair that looked like it was close to his size, though it might have to be taken in a bit. Greeting the seller, he explained his needs and didn't haggle much, other than asking for the alterations on the spot for the full payment in golden nels, as opposed to the deposit he had initially mentioned. "I'll just put them on now, over my linen pants." With a shrug, the man measured Roland and set to sewing. While he waited, he perused some jewelry nearby, looking at a few rings being offered. Removing his glove, he looked at the sliver ring that he slid on to his right hand. "That's new, just came in!" An old woman offered, her eyes squinting at the ring, never leaving its location. Roland chuckled, looking on the inside and placing it back on the stand. "How did you know my name was Jenny and to dedicate it to me then?" He touched his temple and then his lips in a hush pose, smiling and returning to the clothing.

All was satisfactory and he slid the wool pants on over his own pants, providing a snug and warm fit. After paying the man, Roland made his way back out in to the ice storm, better prepared. It took all of a few bits of being blasted by high winds and ice that he decided to go into the first place that looked open. He found himself inside O'Rourke's, a place known for its oddities. Stepping inside and shaking the cold off, he stepped up to the bar, an odd cat eyeing him from the surface of it, as if to take his order. He looked at the cat and gave it a little nod, turning to a younger man behind the bar. "Good day, young man." Roland's finger perused the menu as he wordlessly counted and added. "Let's have three meat pies, three flagons of Mad Cat and a bottle of brandy with three glasses." the young man's eyes widened, surprised to have a spender on such a piss poor day. "Right away, Sir! Expecting guests, I take it?" The broker made his way down the bar, making sure to avoid the cat as he did so, removing his leather gloves and placing them in his pockets. "I am, yes. They will be along shortly. You will know them when you see them."

Roland made his way to a table where a cheerful, dark skinned woman was already pulling the table closer to the hearth at some unseen request. Scooting himself in, he faced himself toward the door. He had no expectations. Whoever made their way into the bar would be his guests. He just hoped they were people of note. One could never tell.
Ledger
Large size Black Wool Pants - 13 GN, 2 SN
Three Meat Pies - 3 SN, 4 CN
Three Flagons of Mad Cat - 4 GN, 5 SN
Bottle of Brandy - 20 GN
Total - 40 GN, 7 SN, 4 CN
Last edited by Roland Demira on Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total. word count: 703
Vega
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Hat-Wearer
Renown: 1739
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Making Friends (Vega/Poppy)

44th Trial of Zi'da during Arc 717
Vega was, it had to be said, in a good mood. They'd come to Almund to get the last of the gifts sorted for the three trials of gift giving they'd just shared and they'd stayed here for a few trials. It was nice, it was comfortable and it wasn't ridiculously expensive. She and Arlo were enjoying looking around Almund. He was back at their camp, at the moment, and Vega had come into town to do a little last minute shopping. Yestertrial, they'd had the Zi'da feast and frankly, at that point Vega had more or less decided that she was never going to eat again, but to-trial, she'd realised that she was hungry and so she made her way into O'Rourkes.

"Wotcha, I'm just 'ere for.." was as far as the redhead woman got. She was talking to the younger waiter and he nodded. "Yes, ma'am, your table is over there. Just there, that's it." Vega looked at him in some surprise, but made her way over. The woman who approached Roland's table was tall, just shy of six foot in height. She had long, flame red hair which fell in a mass of curls and she was wrapped up against the cold. Everything she wore, from her boots to her coat was functional, none of it was fussy and it was all both well cared for and well worn. She had a sword at her side which she wore with comfort and ease and a bow on her back. As she took off her gloves, her hands were calloused and she moved with the sort of grace which spoke of someone physically fit, and then some. There were freckles over her nose.

it was, perhaps, her eyes which were most unusual, especially given her hair colour. She gazed at him through eyes which were swirling different colours, identifying her as Biqaj ~ not an uncommon sight in Scalvoris at all. As she walked up to him, Vega looked at the man sitting there in some surprise, and not a little suspicion. "Hey. The waiter seemed to think I was expected over 'ere?" Her accent was broad and she raised an eyebrow slightly, looking at the table. "Which I'm guessin' is a mistake. No worries, if so."
word count: 401

Vega's skin has a reflective metallic sheen with a red glow. Her eyes still swirl biqaj colours, but one colour is always bright red which glows like fire. She has a bright red glow in her chest, situated directly under the mark of a heart (Daia mark) in the middle of a glowing silver dragon on her chest (Xiur). She's unnaturally warm to the touch
Roland Demira
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Templates

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Making Friends (Vega)

He asked the cheerful waitress to wait to bring the food until his guests arrived, though he would have his right away. Soon, a steaming, aromatic meat pie was placed before him and he thanked the young lady, his knife sliding into the skin of the pie. More steam erupted, wafting to his nose and making Roland salivate. A forkful of the pie satisfied him right away, a draught of the flagon cooling his throat thereafter. It was delicious. Just as he was about to take another bite, a woman entered and spoke to the young bartender. Immediately impressed by her physical acumen and her confidence, Roland was sure that he had his first guest. He placed his utensils back down and wiped his mouth.

On her approach, he stood and greeted her. "No, no mistake. I was absolutely expecting you." He wore a smile of greeting and pleasantry. "Please have a seat." Not waiting for her to sit, he took his own seat and drank another drink of Mad Cat, smacking his lips a bit. Nodding to the cheerful waitress, he scooted his chair up to the table and placed his hands palms down on its surface. Looking at the striking redhead, he said, "I am Roland Demira. I have ordered some food and drink. Please, help yourself." As she returned quickly with the meat pie, Roland asked, "What was your name?" She turned on a silver nel and said, "Ripi, Sir! Glad to be of service to ya!" She seemed to twirl away with a flourish. Roland could only slightly chuckle and shrug at his new acquaintance.

"Let me see...you have a sword and a bow, you are physically fit and strong.." Roland tapped at his chin and had a swig of Mad Cat, as if that would somehow increase his powers of observation. "Your hands are calloused. A hunter, perhaps?" Listening to any replies, he mentioned after swallowing another bite, " I am a broker by trade, personally. Certainly not as noble or honest a profession as your own, but I seem to have a certain familiarity with it. I do appraising, make deals, facilitate business arrangements. All sorts of boring bureaucracy." Eyeing the brandy, he pointed with his fork at it. "Please, do enjoy the brandy as well. It should help with the warming up." He hoped that she would warm up to him as well. What kind of uses could a hunter and stalwart warrior provide? The possibilities were endless.
Last edited by Roland Demira on Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total. word count: 415
Vega
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

He was expecting her? Vega sat down, somewhat unsure of just what this was, but sure enough of herself that she could kick this dweeb into next Ashan if he tried any funny business. He introduced himself as Roland Demira and she nodded. "Nice to meet ya, Roland." Her frown remained, though, her eyes swirling in shades of orange and blue. Vega sat, but she was very aware of the need to move suddenly, should it occur and her body posture was poised in such a way that she'd be able to be standing and have a sword at his throat before someone could say 'you're 'avin' a giraffe'. As for the food, she shook her head, and put her hand out to the waitress. "I'll 'ave a whisky, thanks." To Roland she turned and gave a smile. "My Papa always warned me to watch out fer men who offer anythin' for free. He tells me, there's no such thing as free, an' 'e's not been proved wrong yet."

But then, he moved on to talk about what he'd observed of her, the way she walked, moved, her weapons and the callouses on her hands. He paused, poking himself on the chin like that was where his mojo lived or something, and then he told her all about himself. Vega looked at him and she smiled. It was a friendly smile, and she nodded her head. "So, see, 'ere's the thing. Thanks, love," she said to the barmaid and smiled, putting her money on the tray. "Actually, I'll take a bottle. Thanks." Vega turned back to the Roland chap and she sat in her chair, comfortable enough. "That sounds like int'restin' work Roland. Tell me, if you don't mind," he didn't seem the sort to mind talking, but she thought it only fair to give him the opportunity. "Does this set-up ever work? Like, really? Cos, you know, this is like, O'Rourkes, so if yer goin' for some kind of, I dunno, beneficent ruler type, yer startin' low." Glancing around, she shrugged. "Unless you use this to invite stupid people back to yer castle?"

That said, she drank from the glass of whisky, sipping it slowly. "So, since we've ascertained that I grew up with my Papa, since it'd normally be mother's who warn their daughters, an' that yer name's Roland an' free pies an' brandy 'as either worked before or you thought you'd give it a go. I 'ave to ask." Motioning to the table, to him, "Really? Has it ever worked, an' if so, where? I gotta go to the land of the stupid people an' see it jus' once before I die." She didn't seem put out so much as both curious and amused.

Off Topic
Running total = 32gn
word count: 489

Vega's skin has a reflective metallic sheen with a red glow. Her eyes still swirl biqaj colours, but one colour is always bright red which glows like fire. She has a bright red glow in her chest, situated directly under the mark of a heart (Daia mark) in the middle of a glowing silver dragon on her chest (Xiur). She's unnaturally warm to the touch
Roland Demira
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Templates

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Making Friends (Vega)

He wasn't completely surprised by her caution. A woman of her stature and profession would be ready to face and deal with dangers all the time. Did he really look that threatening? It was a true compliment, if so. She shook her head at his meat pie and even took her own whisky. Roland's eyebrows lurched in feigned surprise but his concern faded as he merely stuck his fork in her pie and slid the plate over, gingerly placing it inside the shell of his finished one. Picking at his food, he didn't look at her while he spoke. "Well, kudos to your father. Sounds like a wise man. This would, however, be that singular time that he was wrong. But we will keep that between us." He held his eyes with willpower , focusing on the vegetables to keep them from rolling.

As she received her bottle of whisky, she seemed to actually warm up a little and engage with him, so he put his fork down and listened, sliding the plate away and uncorking the brandy. He took a sniff of the delightful elixir before pouring a small amount in the bottle of his glass, turning it slightly in his hand, his wrist flexing to cause the liquid to spin in the glass. Was it a surprise that her words were sarcasm and incredulity? Not particularly? He listened to them though, without interrupting, taking in the color show her eyes displayed and delighting in her demeanor. The mood still seemed friendly, for the most part, though she seemed to be truly taken aback by his display. Smiling once she finally finished with her monologue, Roland took a slow sip of the brandy, the warmth creeping over his tongue and down in to his throat.

"Well, those are all perfectly valid questions. I will say that I am neither ruler nor owner of a castle. I did, in fact, just put out some food and drink for whoever walked in. I don't believe in coincidences, you see, so I believe that for whatever reason, you walked in here at this time for this reason. My motives are fairly clean, I only wanted to make some acquaintances and enjoy an otherwise dismal day." Pouring out a little more brandy, he leaned on one elbow, his face illuminated by the warmth of the hearth and the liquor. "But to answer your question directly, I suppose my plan has worked. Regardless of your decision to spurn my humble offerings, you are seated and speaking with me. So..." Roland slid the entire contents of the glass down his gullet with an audible gulp "I suppose it is my duty and privilege to welcome you to the land of stupid people. Enjoy your stay." He lifted his glass in a kind of toast.
Last edited by Roland Demira on Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total. word count: 472
Vega
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

He was going to eat both pies? Vega watched with some surprise, it must be said, as he started in on what he had deemed to be her pie. She raised an eyebrow when he said that this was the single time that her father had been proven wrong, "Well that's not right, Roland is it? Yer here to find out stuff." She didn't sound accusatory, not at all, but it was fairly obvious. "An' I make it a rule not to keep anythin' from 'im." The orange and blue in her eyes swirled and she smiled, obviously relaxed and unconcerned, but still alert enough that she could move if there was a need. He didn't look like he could snap a string bean, but that wasn't the point.

He didn't believe in coincidences, but he wanted to create some? This bloke didn't think in the way she did, but that was alright, nor did most of the rest of the world. And if he wanted to meet some people, it kind of sort of made sense. "Well, that's as maybe, but you gotta understand that it's a bit... well, 'onestly, it's a bit weird, Roland." She shrugged. "But I'm a'right with weird."

Then, of all things, he welcomed her to the land of stupid people and Vega laughed. It was a genuine guffaw of laughter and she didn't seem, wasn't, at all put out by his words. He could give as good as he got, she liked that in a fellow mortal. U'frek save her from idiots, and he at least didn't seem to be one of those. Still, she sipped her whisky and she watched him. Like a spider in a web, she thought, and either one too new to realise that he might try seeming subtle, or so sure of himself that he didn't bother to try. Either way, Vega considered, she wasn't likely to be being beholden to him any trial soon.

Or any arc.

"So, you from Scalvoris originally?" Vega asked, fairly sure that he probably was. Maybe not from this part of it, but the way that he spoke of the land of stupid, it spoke of him being part of here. His confidence, too, spoke of this being somehow his place. But maybe not Almund. He stood out a bit. His hands, as far as she could see, were less weathered than her elbows and possibly, she thought, smoother than her ass. He didn't do any work, not honest work, anyhow. That might mean he was a scholar, he certainly sounded like he might be. But then, would he be in Almund? Probably not. She couldn't imagine that he'd come here, he was dressed nice, had an air of superiority and it was all a bit butt-end of nowhere here.

"Unless," she wondered aloud, "you're one of those fellas from the Tower. Right weird little structure that, an' apparently there's folks that go in an' out of there?" Might be possible, she supposed. But then, still sipping and not yet half way through her glass of whisky, she wondered again. "So, a'right, you want some company, an' you don't believe in coincidences.What's the purpose of me comin' an' sittin' at the table then?" It was interesting as a question because, to her mind, if there was no such thing as a coincidence, then everything had a reason. Even a moderately obnoxious redhead sitting down who didn't like brandy and didn't want to eat pie. To her mind, he'd told her far, far more about himself than she had told him, but that might be just perception, she recognised.

Time would tell. And, of course, whoever the third pie-eater (or not) was. If they refused it, would he eat the third? It was worth sticking around just to find that out.

Off Topic
Running total = 32gn
word count: 681

Roland Demira
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Templates

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Making Friends (Vega)

He was glad to hear her hearty laugh. It was much better than a stern look of disdain or even a stab with her well used sidearm. It seemed they were getting along as well as could be expected for total strangers. Pushing his food to the side for the servers to pick up at their leisure, Roland relaxed in his chair, sipping his brandy as he listened to the woman across from him entertain his little diversion. Her question was pointed and welcomed, although he thought the idea of the Tower was a stretch. Was anyone from the Tower?

"Egilrun, actually," he said as he placed the glass down. "My parents are glassblowers. I lived the life of communal drudgery for most of my youth until I decided I wanted a little more than a sore back and trinkets." He didn't hate his parents or his upbringing. In fact, he had no real feeling about any of it at all. It was a normal sensation, or lack thereof, for Roland, for whatever reason. He traced at the lip of the glass as he listened. Roland's earlier musings floated to the surface as well, no doubt in part to the brandy. "Do you think people live in the Tower? I thought it was a dig site or something. A place for scholars to pore over the stonework and the like." He shrugged to himself. Soon her question became as sharp and direct as her weapon. Roland appreciated the maneuver.

"Well, I hope that we will have some kind of interaction in the future. There are always interesting things taking place here, especially with the influence of the Pirate Lords no longer a factor. It's a new trial in Scalvoris and we should all have friends, or at least allies." Looking to her sword, he cocked his head in a pointed manner. "For instance, I am sure that you have assessed me as no threat because the life of those that wear weapons openly tend to move toward that kind of appraisal. I am not completely vulnerable, but for all intents and purposes, I am basically a baby bird, pleading for you not to crush me underfoot." The idea was funnier than Roland intended, causing him to snicker a little too long. Another pour and sip and he continued. "That being said, if I ever found myself in your company and danger was afoot, I believe I would be pleased to know you as friend rather than foe."

Swishing the brandy in his glass, he continued. "As far as what benefits you to know me? Very little at the moment, but give me an arc and you may find that I am a good person to know. I am always making connections and contacts. We all have our beginnings. Speaking of, might I ask you the same queries of your origin?" What an interesting story that would be, should she decide to share.
word count: 495
Vega
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

His parents were glassblowers? Vega watched and nodded. Her father had told her about land-dwellers like this one, and she'd met more than a few in her time. Born on land, stuck on land, living a life which displeased them and seeking freedom ~ only to trap themselves in another life just as prohibitive. Would his children mourn the drudgery of their early arcs, she wondered to herself. "What's Egilrun like?" Vega asked, curiosity driving her question. "Its full of crafters an' stuff innit? I must go there before we leave, 'ave a look around." Communal drudgery sounded very dreadful, very dramatic. "So, 'ave you gone from communal drudgery to individual? Or, what's the difference in yer life now? Drudgery no more, I 'ope."

But did anyone live in the Tower? Vega grinned and shrugged. "I've got no idea, Roland, to be 'onest." A place for scholars? Vega didn't think so, not for a moment. "You might be right. I mean, there's lights there an' stuff, so I guess people 'ave got to live there. I guess." She shrugged and gave him a grin, lifting her glass for a second sip. "Since you live here, I thought you might know more."

She listened to him speak then, talking about him being a bird to crush underfoot, laughing a bit too hard and a bit too long at his own joke; it was like he'd done before. He assumed that he knew her and what she was thinking, made judgements about what she thought or felt based on how she looked and then told her about them. As for how he'd feel if danger was afoot, Vega had to think that maybe he'd feel pleased that she was there - but how would she feel about him, she wondered. Crap help, after all, was better than no help at all - but would he be any help? He'd like to know that she was on his side, but Vega very much got the opinion that Roland would be very much on Roland's side and no one else. That was fine with her, there was no one that she needed.

Vega simply smiled in response to the little bird who was trying to know how she would react if anything kicked off and instead answered his more direct question. "I was born at sea, on my Papa's ship." Vega said with a smile. "I grew up my 'ole life on board ships, but I've always been drawn to bein' on land, too. So, my Papa dropped me off an' I started to travel. Ended up here." It wasn't much of a story, she said, but it was what she had. Her family were biqaj and she'd spent her life on the seas. Now, she was giving in to her wanderlust on the land too. "An' I gotta say, Scalvoris is full of interestin' stuff. Weird-assed creatures too." Shrugging slightly, she finished up her drink. "Right. I'm gonna make a move. It's been nice to meet ya, Roland. I 'ope you find all the glory you seek. See ya."

And, with that, she would pay and leave, lifting her fingers to her forehead in a cap-tipping sort of gesture.
Off Topic
Running total = 32gn
word count: 566

Sephira
Approved Character
Race: Mixed Race
Profession: Element
Renown: 415
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Wealth Tier: Tier 5

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Making Friends (Vega)

Roland

Overview

I love how classy Roland is! He's so dapper and I feel like he loves to impress the people around him with his astute observations. Granted, I can see why Vega was a little iffy on indulging in the free food in drink he graciously offered; one can't be too careful. Regardless, it was a lovely collaboration. Thanks for the enjoyable read!

XP:15
This cannot be used for magic

Fame

N/A

Loot

None
Deductions already made in ledger

Knowledge

Appraisal: Checking jewelry for inscriptions
Appraisal: Guessing a profession from ordinary details
Ettiquette: Standing from a table to greet a lady
Ettiquette: Offering refreshments to guests
Ettiquette: Listening to someone speak without interrupting
Discipline: Not taking slights personally
Mathematics: Tallying a bill in your head
Negotiation: Getting extra service for full payment up front

Vega

Overview

Ha! I love how Vega immediately picked up on the red flag of a random man offering her a free dinner and booze. She wasted no time in letting Roland know exactly what she thought of his "set up" Stranger danger ladies! Anyway, it was a really fun read. I always enjoy the way you write Vega and portray her brutal honesty. Thanks for the great collab!

XP:15
This cannot be used for magic

Fame

N/A

Loot

None
Deductions already made in ledger

Knowledge

Blades: Sword: How to remain in ready position while sitting
Intelligence: Let someone talk, they tell a lot
Intelligence: Consider how much you tell of yourself in order to provoke discussion
Intelligence: Information can be gathered in a lighthearted manner.
Investigation: Stating clues
Investigation: Putting together statements to determine patterns of behaviour
Investigation: Understanding motives for behaviour, both stated and not
Non-Skill Knowledge
Roland: Met him in an Inn where he said he was expecting you.
Roland: Comes from Egilrun
Roland: Bored of his "old life"
Roland: Doesn't believe in coincidence
Roland: Parents are glassblowers
Roland: Invited you to the land of the stupid people
Roland: Drinks brandy
Roland: Eats pies.

Reviewed ByImage
Sephira
Now that your review is complete please place this code into your review request: here

Code: Select all

[center][style3=max-width:200px; margin:0px auto; padding:3px 5px; text-weight:bold; font-size:1em; line-height:1em; color:#EFEFEF;][googlefont=Almendra SC][align=left]Reviewed By[img]/gallery/image.php?album_id=500&image_id=13199[/img][/align][align=right]Sephira[/align][/googlefont][/style3][/center]
[/align]
word count: 409
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Almund”