• Closed • A Few Tangles

For Tio Silver! <3

Once an isolated and dying township, an influx of academics, adventurers and thrill seekers have made Scalvoris Town their home. From scholars' tea shops to a new satellite campus for Viden Academy, this is an exciting place to visit or make your home!

Moderators: Aegis, Pegasus

• Closed • A Few Tangles

Postby Miyar » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:01 pm

Scalvoris University
71st Vhalar, 717

Parchment rustled.

The candle had guttered low, as if the flame dimmed in shared boredom.

His eyes drooped.

An Empirical History of Domain Magicke Throughout The Ages was a challenging read: dense, meandering, and utterly humorless.

He stifled another yawn. What a miraculous cure for insomnia. Tonics be damned. One need only read a chapter of Aurelius Valen’s tome and be sent to the brink of death.

The redhead pinched the bridge of his nose, sighing. It was a talent, truly, to make sorcery sound so boring.

His mind wandered to his travels. A performer in Melrath who claimed he could become a parrot, and turned the audience’s laughter into shocked gasps. Silvers and coppers had rained in his bowls that day. How his eyes had widened in delight. He’d stolen away from Father that day, pocketing as much silver as he dared from their profits, determined to spend the day in the vivid markets and mummer’s stages.

He remembered women who could enchant water, weaving it like ribbons; his jaw had gaped at mages who could summon and spew green flames, charlatans or not; he’d shivered at stories of those could raise the dead and looked longingly at alchemist’s stalls, buying odd enchantments and recipe books.

They say transmuters can make stones that turn lead into gold, he babbled once, and his father’s copper eyes had turned to him with disdain.

Remarkably convenient, came his droll voice. He scratched another sum into his ledger. And I imagine they are adept at turning coin into whores and fine houses. I wonder how many fools have bought their lies.

The boy stayed quiet after that, ironing his lips shut and returning to the work of cataloging pelts and spices. Nothing was so boring; eventually his mind had wandered again, and he’d miscounted, as he often did when he wanted to steal under Father’s nose.

He learned quickly not to bring up University to him.

You are a Calathes, he returned sternly. And you will carry on the business. You’ll give up those dreams soon enough. Do you want to die a beggar in rags?

I shan’t die a beggar,
he’d snapped. Alchemists and performers make plenty…

Charlatans,
the man cut, cold as ice. Liars. Thieves.

It often felt like it had happened to someone else, that the memories were not his own, but stolen from some book or story. Already Father’s face was fading; the only thing that remained sharp were his eyes, the iron of his mouth, the greying auburn hair around his temples.

Soon he would be a ghost. A hollow in his heart.

And yet the memory of her remained as sharp as ever.

The shadow-woman’s stare, the unnatural stink of her breath in his ear. Every detail of her had been carved as if of stone; her glossy black hair fell in tumbles, framing a dark face like an anvil, tattooed from chest to jaw. She did not smile; he imagined she never did. Her dark kaftan hugged the formlessness of her body, thick with age, yet she moved like a slender arrow. At points she seemed not to move at all, gliding across the marble floors of the manse. And the eyes. They had seared into his memory; he saw them in dreams still, those black pools full of a hunger like nothing human.

He knew, with a bolt of instinct, that she could kill with a touch.

I wonder if she shall, he thought, when he dined with Qaharo, sitting across from the shadow-woman and other visitors and suitors. He could not taste the peacock at all; it had crumbled to ash in his mouth, a brick hard to swallow. Qaharo laughed beside him, a quivering mound of flesh. But despite his mirth, his green eyes were nervous, he noticed, quickly flitting away from the shadow-woman and to his other guests.

I wonder if she shall kill him, the boy had thought, oddly cool, abandoning his food in favor of a goblet of wine. Kill him and take his wealth, kill everyone in this room…

Perhaps she had sensed his thoughts. For her eyes often drifted back to his, opening a sick pit in his stomach, and when at last the guests had gorged themselves and stumbled out blind with drink, she was the last to leave.

He noticed she had not touched her food or wine at all.

But she did not speak to Qaharo; instead she drifted over to him and whispered in his ear, her voice sending a shudder down his spine.

And then she was gone, melted to the shadow, and his heart flipped. Was he mad? Did she—?

But he had no time to ponder. His Master had stumbled over, pawing at him with a familiar lust, and he had closed his eyes, and the whole time that night he thought of the shadow-woman.

In the present, his eyes glazed. He’d re-read the same passage ten times, surely.

DEFIANCE HAS MANY PRACTICAL USES, FROM GUIDING THE WIND IN TRADING GALLEYS TO KEEPING FIRES FROM SPREADING IN VILLAGES…

Miyar blew out a sigh. He rubbed his forehead and eyes, getting up with a grunt and stretching.

Was this what University was like? The thing he’d fantasized about so often? I wonder if I would have been excited to know that half of University was sitting, and the other was wondering at what point in the lecture the doddering old professors would die. When, when would he be taught magic? Trained in practicals? After he’d withered and crumbled, bent as the men that wrote those tomes?

The mage looked at the candle. So quiet, you are. He picked it up, wiggling it out of its bed of wax, and the flame seemed to glow brighter in his touch. It seemed wrong to simply put it out. And so he walked over to the hearth in the study room, kneeling and extending the candle. It flickered shyly.

“Go on then,” he muttered, giving it an encouraging prod.

The little flame leapt off the wick and joined its brethren. It seemed to him that the others danced and jumped in welcome, stringing the tiny candle flame into their whirling celebrations. A faint smile played on his face.

For the hundredth time he wondered if he was getting a better connection to his Art, or if he was simply going mad. Aren’t they one and the same? Father warned me.

He felt a sudden, gripping need for company. It was miserable here in this dim study, stuffy with heat and mustiness, the sun struggling to light the room. Miyar got up and dusted off his pants, stabbing the candle back into its metal post and abandoning Aurelius’ ramblings for now.

The old man could wait, surely.

It surprised him that it was still light outside. He blinked to adjust to the sunlight, squinting at a dial. Not even lunch time. How is that possible? It feels like I’ve been in there for days.

Perhaps he had. He often lost track of time in this place and its surrounding, lively taverns full of students; there was very little for him at home, and he returned to it only when he had need of a bath or sleep. As he walked down the hall he sniffed himself surreptitiously—no, no, he smelled fine—and dodged groups of laughing students and professors laden with scrolls.

The courtyard was a fine place today. The weather was agreeable: cool in the dappled shades of the trees and stretching columns, but quite warm in the late morning light. Students were sprawled in the grass, chattering idly or sleeping under the banners of red trees. Fat clouds drifted like galleys in the deep blue of the sky.

It would be a slap to the Fates to spend the day inside. But neither did he wish to idle; he hadn’t quite made friends yet, new as he was to the University, and didn’t think napping would be conducive to that.

No, today was one for adventure.

Miyar bypassed them all, walking down the colonnade and to the doors that led to a common area. There was a great bulletin in the center, impossible to miss; professors, students and citizens alike posted jobs and rumors there, and a small crowd milled around it even now. He walked up to it, wondering if the job he’d seen some days earlier was still posted.

Catalogue of Flora. Mind numbing, to be sure; it had paled amongst calls for exotic expeditions and creature hunting, and he often noticed it only in passing. But today was a fine day, and the wind Defiers predicted a fair week as well. No better time to stroll through the island and pick plants. And be paid gold for it, most importantly. His pockets were suffering, and he needed something to fill them.

After all, how hard could it be?

A presence stirred beside him. The mage turned his head to see a pale blonde man staring at the same notice. The fellow was comely, with fine features and twinkling blue eyes, something like amusement playing on his face. Altogether quite pleasant to look at.

One fiery brow arched. A feline smile quirked his lips.

“Ah. Are you an aspiring botanist as well?” Amusement shone in his amber eyes. “Or a hunter? I’m afraid all the jobs for great beasts and rogues are taken. That leaves the petunias, I suppose.” He clucked, lifting up the parchment with a pale finger and letting it flap down again. “A formidable enemy. Worse are the marigolds and roses."
Miyar

Race: Human
Renown: 0

A Few Tangles

Postby Tio Silver » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:37 pm

Scalvoris University
71st Vhalar, 717

Tio usually made a point of not showing his face around the university in human form. Although the difference in race between his two identities was enough to deceive most people there was always the odd person who noticed how Tio and Taelis' facial features matched a little too closely, and how despite being an Eidisi Taelis was even more foolhardy and open about his emotions than most humans were. If one of them wasn't blue Tio and Taelis could have almost been twins, and if anyone ever sussed out that one of them was never around whilst the other was out in public it wouldn't be long before they put two and two together and realized they were one and the same person. There were few things that made him as uncomfortable as the thought of being exposed as a Yludih, and so keeping that information a secret was one of the few things Tio was genuinely serious about. But even so there were a few days when he let it slide for conveniences sake.

Today was one of those days. He'd attended an alchemy seminar this morning as Taelis which had involved some practical work, and as was unfortunately per the norm for him the concoction he was working with exploded halfway through. This explosion had been much more intense that his usual ones however, and released a plume of thick black smoke that quickly spread all across the lecture hall and covered everything, and everyone, within it in head-to-toe in soot. The university janitor had flipped a lid at the mess and refused to let him leave until he helped him to clean it up, and so of course the moment he'd looked away Tio had sneaked out through the window and ran off. A quick wash, change of clothes and a shift to human form had ensured that the janitor, who was charging around the university furiously looking for his Eidisi-self, wouldn't recognize him, but also brought an abrupt end to the work he'd been intending to do today.

Well no matter. There was always something to do in Scalvoris for people willing to look for it, perhaps he could find something else to do for the day around the university?

His feet were leading him somewhere before he even realized where he was going, and it wasn't long later that Tio found himself approaching the odd jobs board. There was always a good chance to make a fair bit of quick money on the board, and most of the time the work involved could be fun as a one-off deal. His eyes roamed the sea of adverts for a while before soon settling on the poster bearing the insignia of the Intelligentsia, and he stepped in a little closer to read the description printed upon it. It seemed they were looking for people to help find and catalog all the different kinds of plant life on the island, and were willing to pay 20gn for every new plant report brought to them. The memory of his disastrous journey into Scaltoth Jungle last season, and all the strange and unusual plant life he'd seen there, flashed before his eyes, and the beginnings of an avaricious grin ghosted his lips. Scaltoth was a veritable treasure trove of rare plant life, and because of its dangerous reputation very few people had the courage to venture into it. But with the pathway he'd discovered on his last visit he could go as deep into the forest as he needed to without getting lost... hopefully... and could make a small fortune categorizing the things he discovered there. It was practically money in the bag!

"Ah. Are you an aspiring botanist as well?"

He turned his head at the unfamiliar voice, and was met with the sight of a lad around his age with copper coloured hair and a rather distinct nose. The cheshire smile on his face was the kind that only people like him, the people who enjoyed bringing a touch of chaos to the world, could pull, and Tio instantly knew that this was the kind of guy he would get along with; someone fun. What was it about the university that attracted so many strange people like himself? Maybe there really was a fine line between genius and madness?

He returned the lad's smile with a smirk as they finished talking about flowers. "Aye, I guess you could say I'm something of a treasure hunter. Can't say I ever expected flowers to be worth much though. I know a really good place to find some interesting plants, but it's right in the middle of Scaltoth Jungle so there's a pretty good chance of dying if I went to get them." He cast an appraising eye over the stranger. "Say, I don't suppose you'd want to come with me would you? It'd be good to have someone watching my back. There's more than enough plants for both of us to make some serious cash."

His new acquaintance didn't look like much of a fighter, but then again neither did he. If anything dangerous showed up his plan was to turn tail and run for it, but if worst came to worst he was sure that most predators would prefer to snack on a nice juicy human than him. Besides, it'd be good to have the company. The biggest threat to his newest get-rich-quick scheme was getting too bored to continue after being in the jungle for a couple of minutes, so having someone to talk to should help with that.
Tio Silver
Bad in all the Good Ways

Race: Yludih
Profession: Pirate Captain
Renown: +302
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Letters
Medals: 4
Helper (1) Painting With Words (1) Lol Worthy (1) Event Medal (1)

A Few Tangles

Postby Miyar » Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:40 am

A pretty good chance of dying if I went to get them. Well, that didn’t bode well. No sooner than he said that, he proposed they go marching right in.

A sharp laugh left him, cackling with black mirth.

“Truly tempting. I’d prefer to die stone-drunk at the age of eighty, in a fine manse. Not ripped apart by jaguars.” Miyar tossed a hand, fingers waggling, then folded his arms. The mage shot Tio a devil’s grin. I know what you’re doing.

“Asking me to be bait, and I haven’t even gotten your name?” He didn't take it personally; I would use me for bait too. Amusement lit his eyes, and they danced as they flicked up and down Tio, marking the finery of his clothes and his slenderness of limb. Well, he didn’t seem like much of the sword-swinging type. Rather too fashionable for that. Perhaps his talents lay in magic instead, and it wasn’t entirely futile.

After a beat he thrust out a hand for Tio to shake. “Miyar Calathus. I’ve managed to avoid dying for some odd twenty arcs, and I plan on continuing. That so…” He tapped the blonde lightly on the elbow, jerking his chin at an opening in the crowd and towards the shops. “...Consider me interested. Perhaps we can discuss how best to keep our limbs over coffee."

After all, it did well to get to know a man who proposed they ought to risk dying together.
Miyar

Race: Human
Renown: 0

A Few Tangles

Postby Tio Silver » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:08 pm

Tio drew a faux-sweet smile onto his face as his new acquaintance, Miyar, saw through his plan to use him as bait. The guy was a sharp one, but if Tio's plan bothered him didn't show it. "Bait? Oh not at all, I assure you I'm one-hundred percent a team player. I'd never leave a buddy of mine behind." He lied smoothly. Even if Miyar didn't believe him it was never a clever idea to admit to being willing to sell someone out, not to mention rude. Etiquette demanded that a few platitudes be made when talking to strangers.

"Nice to meet'cha Miyar. My name's Tio. Tio Silver." He replied, shaking Miyar's offered hand. When the copper haired lad suggested they discuss the idea over coffee, he grinned and motioned for him to follow. "Aye, a coffee sounds good right about now. Come with me, I know a place all these academy bigwigs like to go when they've got important stuff to discuss. It's only a short walk from here."

He led the way through the bustling crowds of students, and within a few minutes the two stood outside of a tall, winding tower with a sign hanging on the outside that read 'The Scholar's Nook'. At this time of day the cafe was packed full of students, doctors, scientists and all manner of other learned men and women pouring over books or stacks of paper and arguing with one another at various volumes. Searching took them a while, but eventually the pair found a small table for two over by a window on the top floor of the tower that was yet unclaimed, and as they sat down Tio ordered a pot of coffee for two and borrowed a book simply labelled 'Scaltoth Jungle' from a bookshelf.

"Right, to business then!" He said eagerly, shooting a sharp-toothed grin at Miyar as the coffee arrived. He poured a cup for himself, then opened the book to a page that showed a rough map of Scaltoth Jungle. "Have you ever gone into Scaltoth before? Most people consider it suicide to go into the jungles, but as far as I know one in every five expeditions that go in come back, so that odds aren't too bad as long as you're suitably prepared and don't go in too deep. I've been there twice myself, and to be perfectly honest I only survived because I had good company and because I'm one lucky wagon-nagger. From what I've learnt as long as we're out before nightfall and ensure that we don't get lost or wander into the territory of any top predators we'll be fine."

He pointed to an area on the map where the treeline met open fields, marking the border of the jungle. "Around here is where my buddies and I found a pathway leading into the jungle. One of them marked the tree trunks along the way so that we'd be able to follow them back, so using them I reckon we can walk into Scaltoth for about a break, set up a small camp to run some tests and gather a few pieces of local fauna to catalogue. How does that sound to you?"

During his last expedition into Scaloth Jungle Tio had indeed seen a lot of weird and wonderful flora he'd never heard of before, but what he'd neglected to mention so far was how damn dangerous all of them had appeared to be. There had been one plant that'd resembled a flytrap a little to closely for his liking, and the fact that it had also been about ten foot tall made him a bit worried as to what exactly it normally ate. It was clearly something a little bigger than flies. Still the more dangerous they were, the more potent powers they were likely to have, and by extension the more interesting abilities he'd be able to make use of in his alchemy.
Tio Silver
Bad in all the Good Ways

Race: Yludih
Profession: Pirate Captain
Renown: +302
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Letters
Medals: 4
Helper (1) Painting With Words (1) Lol Worthy (1) Event Medal (1)

A Few Tangles

Postby Gangui » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:00 am

Tio Silver

Knowledge:
Appraisal: Picking a good companion
Business Management: Identifying an opportunity to make money
Deception: "Sure... I'm a team player..."
Deception: Trying to trick someone into becoming your meat-shield
Disguise: Changing forms to avoid being caught
Etiquette: Politely asking someone to be your meat-shield
Navigation: Teading the way through the streets of Scalvoris Town
Navigation: The location of the Scholar's Nook

Comments:
I apologize for taking so long, life all of sudden showed up and I got super busy. It really is a shame that Miyar is gone because that was one hell of a intro thread he/she wrote. Tio was flowing really nice as well and I was surprised at his manners. I even shared this thread with a couple of people hoping to track down Miyar. I will be looking out for more Tio threads to review so I can learn more about him :D
Gangui
Patriot

Race: Mixed Race
Profession: Faction Leader
Renown: +45
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates
Medals: 6
Peer Reviewer (1) Painting With Words (1) Guild Master (1) Scandalous (1)
Lol Worthy (1) Crush The Reviews! 717 (1)

Return to Scalvoris Town