[Cally's] Ending

Job Thread: Ymiden 718

30th of Ymiden 718

Once an isolated and dying township, an influx of academics, adventurers and thrill seekers have made Scalvoris Town their home. From scholars' tea shops to a new satellite campus for Viden Academy, this is an exciting place to visit or make your home!

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Faith Augustin Champion
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Fanatical Philanthropist
Renown: 2250
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

[Cally's] Ending

30th Ymiden, 718
She sat down, hands folded in her lap and she looked at them. Her employees and her friends. They had been with her since the beginning and they had stood, united as a team. On the first trial they opened, and every trial thereafter, they had supported her in her crazy dream. A dream of making a restaurant which funded a faction which would change the world.

And they had done it.

Isonomia would change the world, Faith had no doubt about it. It already had – for over a hundred people who had undergone the training programme, who had been part of a system which took them from poverty and hopelessness to a place where they were taught a trade, given a place to live, food to eat and medical care. More importantly, though, than anything as far as Faith was concerned, they were given a chance to build their future. That was what Isonomia did, it gave a future to those who had none.

And here, it had worked.

”I have news,” she said and she smiled at them. They looked at her, Joq’et, Paul and Taylor and she wondered how they’d take it. Trudi, of course, already knew. ”Padraig and I are going to Rharne.” Three of them nodded but Joq’et, her sous chef and, therefore, the person she had worked most closely with, frowned. She recognised that Faith was saying something more than they were going on holiday, or having a break. They were leaving. Joq’et said nothing, just looked at Faith and the two of them shared a glance.

”We’re going to Rharne, in a permanent move.” Eyebrows raised at that and then, they started talking. What was going to happen here, who was going to run the place, that kind of thing. Faith let them have the time to think it through, and then started to answer the questions. ”We’ll be leaving soon. On the next flutterbus, I think.” That was straightforward enough. But then there was the more difficult question, what would happen here, what would happen to them?

“It’s alright, Faith. Whatever you need to do,” Joq’et said and they nodded. They’d been a team so long, they knew each other so well that there was no doubt they trusted her. Faith was pleased they did, they’d all worked hard here and she was loathe to leave. But they had to. Both of them, for all of them. They had to. ”I’ve sold the business to Trudi, who will continue it for Isonomia. It will fund Beacon and maintain the training programme. Nothing will change, in that regard.” Trudi looked at them and smiled. “Except you won’t be here. That’s a major change. We’ll miss you,” Faith nodded her head, then continued to speak in her usual manner – factual, statements of what was, not what she was feeling. She had never been good at expressing those. ”On a trial by trial basis, I have been here far less over the past few seasons.” Trudi smiled at that, knowing what it meant, what Faith was like and how she dealt with things.

”So, we need to plan for that, work out what we’re doing and arrange a clear handover.” Faith said and Trudi piped up. “And I’ve arranged for the business and property to be values, so Faith gets a fair deal. Not the deal she suggested to me.” Faith looked at Trudi and smiled, but in a vaguely exasperated manner. The deal she had suggested was that she gave the business to Trudi, but the young biqaj would hear none of it. Faith knew when she was beat, however, and so she got herself into the mindset that doing this right was the right thing to do. Also, this would allow her to set up a new business in Rharne, with the aim of the same thing.

Now, though, it was time to get down to the business of making sure that Cally’s continued after it’s founder had left.
665 words
word count: 689
This PC is dead. See this thread for details.
Faith Augustin Champion
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

[Cally's] Ending

30th Ymiden, 718
Going through the books was the first thing, and Faith had brought the ledgers with her. Trudi looked at them and snorted. "Yep. I bet you that in an arc, we won't have started a single new book because I won't write everything down. Why do you do that?" Suddenly, it occurred to Trudi. Faith didn't forget anything, ever. So why did she keep all these meticulous notes, she asked. Faith smiled and shrugged slightly. "Habit, mostly. Because one trial, someone might take over from me, or I might die and then it would be needed?" They were used to the way that she thought and spoke so no one really batted an eyelid at her, but that being said there were a few shared glances.

Unaware, or ignoring them, Faith talked them through the books. There wasn't a need to, in one sense, but when they'd worked with the accounts and records previously, it had been about what they were doing, then. Now, it was about what they had to do. "I've written here, the menus for the time since we've opened." Looking down at the first one, Faith had to admit to being somewhat nostalgic - not something which she thought she'd feel, but there it was. It had all started here, after all. With a smile, she looked around. "Alright, so lets have a look,"

It took them the best part of two breaks, her and Trudi. There was no need for anyone else to get involved, and they didn't - instead getting on with getting things ready for opening. "It's going to be hard to leave, I imagine?" Trudi said and Faith nodded. "Of course," she said, looking around. "I imagined this place, what we could do here. I didn't believe it would work." Trudi raised an eyebrow. "If you didn't think it would work, why on Idalos did you do it?"

Faith looked at the woman who was about to own Cally's and she chuckled. "Because fear of failure is not an excuse not to try, is it? If I didn't try, then I certainly would never have achieved anything." Trudi smiled fondly at her, not ever really being able to comprehend where Faith's energy came from. Yet, just lately she thought that the young human had been quieter, just lacking her edge. Trudi put it down to Padraig having been away, but only mostly that - she saw how hard Faith worked and Trudi reckoned that her soon to be former-employer was exhausted. Emotionally, physically exhausted. Someone else, anyone else would have been taking time off, Trudi believed.

Still, there was no point talking about it with her, so Trudi lowered her head back to the books. "So these prices, why have you crossed them out?" Faith looked down. "Because Joq'et can't do the technique that allows me to stretch the larder in that way. I've tried to teach her but she can't. So, you'll need to work on the numbers here," she said. Looking up, she looked at the corner where Pash and Arlo had both sat, the table where Zanik himself had walked in and eaten her food. Where she and Padraig had sat and laughed together as she'd tasted the fruit spheres he had created for her. "Lots of memories, I bet?" Trudi said and Faith nodded.

"Yes. Lets think about which fish merchant is best for which. Now," Faith spoke in her usual calm and precise manner and Trudi nodded. "Fish merchants. Good plan." 584 words
word count: 608
Faith Augustin Champion
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

[Cally's] Ending

30th Ymiden, 718
The final thing to do was to consider the menu, Faith said. First, she handed Trudi a pack of papers, neatly held together and tied. They were concept sketches, recipes, doodles and random thoughts, she explained. With a glance to the kitchen, Faith's expression told of just how pleased she was that Jo'get had learned so much. "Jo'get knows how I work, how I develop things," she said and then added with a pleased smile. "But the trick is that she's developed her own way of doing things. She's good, you've got a good team." Trudi nodded.

Faith looked down at the menus, all of them from the very first to now. "I think it's important that we're different but also that we make people think about their food, their tastes. Challenge them. That's what Cally's is, after all." It was a challenge to the natural order - a statement that things which had always been one way did not have to be that way. The food, the ethos, the charity work and the people - they all spoke of that. They were all symptoms of that philosophy. "So, new things, but also old things done new ways. Making something seem to be one thing when in fact it's something else." Trudi nodded.

Then, there was the produce which went into the food. The majority of it came from their own farms and vineyards and there, Paul was her best friend, Faith assured Trudi. After all, he was the one who oversaw all of it. The honey from the bee farm was good, but if they could get people to harvest the honey in the sweetwine woods – that was like nothing she’d ever tasted before. As Faith spoke, Trudi took notes. The vineyard was coming on well, Faith explained, but really it would take a few more arcs before they got major returns from it – the wine was still immature, she was reliably informed.

Faith herself wouldn’t know, she didn’t drink, but those who did told her that. It was good – light and fresh and crispy, apparently, but it lacked the depth of a more established vine. By all accounts.

The livestock farm was working fine, Amaris helped there and for the produce, Lei’lira was helping in the farming and Paul rated her. Taylor, too, was a dab hand here. Enrick brought fish, although this season he and Qit’ria were largely not here. But in his absence they had arranged another supplier. Devin as the resident musician was also working well and, all in all, Faith was more than pleased to say that the place was at it’s peak. She wouldn’t leave if she’d thought for a moment that it was anything but that, but she knew that she was leaving it ready to just keep going and doing the work that they did. Trudi nodded her head and considered that, in fairness, the profits had maintained as steady in Faith’s absence. They would keep in touch, too, so there was no doubting that any issues Faith would help with.

”It’s harder leaving than I thought it would be,” Faith said and Trudi smiled. “We’re ready to go, have been for a while.” Faith nodded and smiled. Endings were difficult, but this was very much a beginning too and, as endings went, those were the best kind.
557 words
Ledger updated with price of 50,001gn as approved by Aegis
word count: 593
Tristan Venora
Approved Character
Profession: Mad Scientist Socialite
Renown: 934
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

[Cally's] Ending

Faith:

Knowledge: N/A

Loot: -1 business!
Injuries: N/A
Renown: N/A
Magic XP: N/A

- - -
Comments: Faith is leaving Scalvoris and selling her business?!

I hadn't seen that coming!

I can't imagine the island without her. I hope that she'll enjoy Rharne though - and that you'll enjoy these XP!

Please edit your review request to include the button below so that the other reviewers know that it's been taken care of!

Code: Select all

[center][img]/gallery/image.php?album_id=500&image_id=13943[/img][/center]
word count: 96
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Scalvoris Town”