[Isonomia] Relief Effort 8: Moving

2nd of Ashan 718

Once an isolated and dying township, an influx of academics, adventurers and thrill seekers have made Scalvoris Town their home. From scholars' tea shops to a new satellite campus for Viden Academy, this is an exciting place to visit or make your home!

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Faith Augustin Champion
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Fanatical Philanthropist
Renown: 2250
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

2nd Ashan 718
"I understand, I do, but I really can't help you right now," Faith explained to the soul who stood there. No matter how many times she explained to the woman that she could not go in to the rubble and get her wedding ring, it did not seem to matter. The entire left hand side of the woman was utterly decimated and it was a gruesome sight, truth told. "I promise you, I truly promise you that I will do my very best, but I can't do anything right... oh, look, that isn't going to help," Faith said as a sudden gust of wind blew a pile of papers off her desk. "All you're doing is making me doing this take longer. Since I have to do this before I can help you, that seems utterly counter productive to me." She looked at the soul and she sighed. "You are afraid, and I understand that, but there are people out there, still, who are dying and I have to help them." She raised an eyebrow and made a point which she had made more than once. "You could help you know."

"I need to find IT!" The soul screamed the last, it's face up against hers.The ghost of the woman was hurt and afraid and Faith understood that, but she stood firm and looked back at her. "I'm not going to be able to help you until this is clear. The place where your ring is, it's in the middle of a collapsed building." There was no way she was going there, Faith explained, again as she looked at the woman. She must have died instantly, Faith thought, considering the extent of her injuries. "We'll find you. Your ring will be there, I'm sure. But now I have to work to save other people if I can. I wish you'd help me." It would help, Faith didn't doubt, as the spirits from Moseke did. But this soul was not in the mood to help, she was capricious and unwilling and Faith didn't have the time to try and persuade her. "I know you're afraid and it's so very confusing," the young woman said and she tried her best to remember how afraid the woman must be. "I promise you, I will help you within the next trial or two, alright?"

She had to focus now, though and she knew that there was another crisis looming and, before it began, she had to sort it. They were pulling out survivors. More survivors than she had thought possible. When she got here, she was concerned that there would be none, but no, there were and they were in their hundreds. They would need somewhere more permanent to live, Faith did not doubt.

She was aware that, in Harvardr and in Gunvorton to an extent, they had barracks style accommodation and she considered that. But it was impersonal and unhelpful. Clearing the docks was going to take a long time and the rebuild, too. It might take a full two or even three seasons. People needed somewhere to live before then. She knew, because she had used them previously, that the firm which built the houses in Beacon were able to built the basic homes quickly. Was that the best thing to do, she wondered, or was there another option. There had to be another option, Faith was convinced and so, she stood and she walked around the desk in her office, bending to pick up a stray paper from where the soul had previously had a tantrum and she considered that what she had to do was look at it from a different angle and so, moving to sit at the other side of the desk, that was what she did.

Looked at it from a different angle.
636 words
Logistics: Look at things from a different angle when problem solving.
word count: 667
This PC is dead. See this thread for details.
Faith Augustin Champion
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

2nd Ashan 718
The issue, as Faith saw it was that they were going to build housing that wasn't needed in order to put it in place for people temporarily. If they built the accommodation in Beacon, it still wasn't required when the people moved out. Eventually, one trial, maybe. But not now. Faith looked down at it and sighed slightly. She could go to the real estate offices, she figured. That might be the thing to do. To go and buy somewhere, communal accommodation, but with people having their own rooms. That was a possibility and she was of the opinion that it was certainly a start.

Tapping her finger against the desk, Faith realised what it was that they needed to do and she smiled. That was it. That was it. She could buy the houses from the estate agent, using the existing Real Estate listings and buy existing properties. But do so with Isonomia funds. That that meant was that then the people would have somewhere to live. But then, while they lived there, the Council would pay half of their "rent" for want of a better word. It would have some money coming in to Isonomia, would mean that there was not a dent in the relief effort funds and then, she could use the real estate as needed. Yes, Faith determined, that would work. It had to.

So, she sat down at the desk and did some maths. That would make sense, yes. Faith knew that it was a solution, but whether the Council would go for it or not, she wasn't sure. The reality was simple, they HAD to get these people out of the docks so that the docks could go back to functioning and so that they could clear and rebuild. That meant, simply put, they had to place them somewhere. Pulling a piece of blank parchment, then, Faith set about writing a letter. In it, she laid out her argument, but she did it in such a way as she believed would make sense.

And, would make them say yes.

Current Issues, with proposed solutions:
The issues we have are as follows:

The docks needs to be functioning in order to be bringing in money, resources, for life to get back to normal.

In order for the docks to be functioning, the area that was destroyed needs to be cleared and then rebuilt.

Currently, this is not happening for a number of reasons:
- There are a large number of injured and dead.
This will be resolved in the next few trials. As soon as we are able to, we are moving people from the field hospital and I have created a system for people to identify their dead, thus allowing them to take them home and arrange their own burial. Those who are not claimed, I have contacted local undertakers.

- There are a number of people here in temporary accommodation.
The collapse left literally hundreds of people homeless. This is a major issue as they will not be able to be re homed until we have rebuilt the docks. Currently they are living in a pair of previously abandoned warehouses.

Obviously, the number of people in temporary accommodation here is potentially a much more long term problem and will theoretically pose an issue with both the clearing and rebuilding. Therefore, I suggest the following solution:

1. I purchase accommodation which is sufficient for them. I do this from Isonomia funds but any improvements / maintenance needed in order to get them to liveable conditions now are taken from the relief effort. This accommodation belongs to Isonomia once this crisis is over.

2. The council pays half of the rental costs for the accommodation while the Scalvoris citizens are staying in it. Isonomia would pay the other half, hence only 50%.

I would very much welcome your approval to go ahead on this and can not stress strongly enough how urgent it is that a solution is found. If we simply purchase the temporary accommodation from relief funds, we will have insufficient to rebuild the docks fully, and this would obviously impact the economy.

Best,

Faith.
Looking down at it, Faith considered who to send it to. And then, she took her pen and wrote. To: Albarech of Scalvoris, Brandel.
Copy to all other Council Members.

If she had put it just to the Accountant then it was never happening. In sending it to the Albarech, she put the decision in his hands and, if there was one thing that she believed, it was that Brandel had the best interests of Scalvoris at heart. Therefore, she trusted that he would do the right thing.

Once it was sent, and Skeet took it with the very clear remit that she put it in Brandel's hands only, then Faith got back on with what else needed to be done.
816 words
Persuasion: Putting forward an argument on paper.
Persuasion: Choosing who you make your argument to.[/align]
word count: 836
Faith Augustin Champion
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

2nd Ashan 718
Once that had gone, Faith turned her attention to the lists she had. The walls of the Headquarters were covered with them, with maps and other information. Ironically, most of it wasn't for her, but was for those who came here so that she could explain things quickly. Having written to the Council Members, she considered that she had to get as much information as she could. So, while she worked on the volunteer roster, she asked Alissa, her self-appointed bodyguard, to get the available listings from the Real Estate offices. If there weren't listings per se, then she wondered if someone from the office could come here. Alissa didn't want to go, but reassurance from Faith that she wasn't going anywhere other than staying here and getting this done persuaded her and so Faith got down to work. They needed to make sure that the volunteers were working constantly, but each individual had only so much time they could give and all of them needed to rest. Even those who had given multiple trials needed to sleep. The irony of that was not lost on the young woman, who had already been told about the need to sleep by any number of the people here.

And it would get worse, she knew, before it got better.

Still, she had a number of advantages over the people here and more than that she had a duty to make sure that everything ran smoothly. Then, she looked up as Alissa walked back in and Faith smiled. "Thank you, Alissa. Hello. My name is Faith Augustin, it's a pleasure to meet you." The woman from Scalvoris Housing Offices seemed at once both a little overwhelmed and rather star struck. But Faith had no time for that, so she got to looking at what she had to offer.

There were four properties which were as close to Beacon as she needed them to be, which would afford her just over 50 bedrooms. That was housing for approximately 100 people, if she had some couples, singles and families. Those, she paid for out of her own money but, since it was in the faction name and would be paid back, she used the faction to do it. Just as she was finishing up, Skeet brought a reply to her from Brandel. The answer was yes and Faith smiled to herself. She had been more than prepared to just do it anyhow, but this meant that she would get the money back.

Because it was needed. So she'd have done it either way. But she figured that no one needed to know that, so she smiled and sorted it out.
Off Topic
As per this post, Faith is going to purchase:
Property Number Cost Rooms
4 4,00010
5 6,00014
7 6,50011
9 5,00018
Total Cost: 21,500
Isonomia Faction = 50% Discount
10,750gn, taken from Faith's personal ledger.
53 rooms
445 words
Business Management: Ethical business practices
Business Management: Do what is right, whether you get paid for it or not.
word count: 520
Doran Cooney
Approved Character
Profession: Performer
Renown: 40
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Faith Augustin
Knowledges
Business Management: Ethical business practices
Business Management: Do what is right, whether you get paid for it or not.
Logistics: Look at things from a different angle when problem solving.
Persuasion: Putting forward an argument on paper.
Persuasion: Choosing who you make your argument to.

Loot: N/A
Injuries: N/A
Renown: N/A

Points 10
---
Faith seems to have dealt with plenty of spirits to the point where she's a little numb to their suffering, which seems pretty realistic considering they're dead and the survivors aren't! I like that she ended up buying houses under the guise of philanthropy but is basically purchasing equity for her organization at a discounted price to use later for her organization as she sees fit. Very sneaky!
Please edit your grade request, thank you!
word count: 136
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Scalvoris Town”