• PM To Join • Among the Rubble

Faith

1st of Ashan 718

Once an isolated and dying township, an influx of academics, adventurers and thrill seekers have made Scalvoris Town their home. From scholars' tea shops to a new satellite campus for Viden Academy, this is an exciting place to visit or make your home!

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Devin
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Baron Smooglethorn
Renown: 1145
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Among the Rubble

As Faith looked at the man and told him that there was nothing that they could do, Devin just stared at her for a moment before he whispered, “I’m sorry.” Up until that point he hadn’t taken the situation completely seriously, but now the reality of what was happening began to really sink in. The thief noticed a most unpleasant sensation in the pit of the stomach. Apparently, he realized with no small amount of surprise, he felt guilty because he hadn’t been able to get the man’s body out faster – even though he had never wanted to save anybody, but had just come here in order to take all their stuff!

“I’m very good”, he informed Faith with utter conviction. Even under the direst of circumstances he didn’t lose interest in bragging completely, and neither would he ever ignore a great opportunity – and working for her, at her restaurant, would definitely be a great opportunity! He’d get paid for something he’d have done anyway! “Who knows, maybe I could replace your old bard!” he mused before he pressed down on the wound even harder than before because he really didn’t want the woman to die as well.

His hands were a rather nice shade of red now, he noticed, and he studied them for a moment while he tried to stop the blood flow. He didn’t know what that particular shade of red was called, and he racked his brain …. until he suddenly realized that the woman had been bleeding all over his hands. His eyes widened, and his heart began to beat faster, but only for a moment because Faith kept on talking which made it hard for him to properly panic.

“So she’s not in danger anymore?” he asked Faith as she told him that he had saved the woman’s life, conveniently forgetting the fact that she might still be trapped under the beam if Faith hadn’t interrupted him. He didn’t want to think about that now and feel guilty again – because saving somebody and being praised for it just felt so extraordinary good. Her stitches were rather neat, he noticed, and he decided to add “doctor” and “seamstress” to her list of jobs (that already included restaurant owner, private investigator and part- time construction worker).

“Nursing”, he claimed as she asked him what medical experience he had – because that was essentially what he had been doing. “I used to take care of sick people. So what exactly are you doing?” he wanted to know, deciding that learning a bit of medical emergency care wouldn’t be a bad idea, especially for a man like him who regularly ended up in dangerous situations. “And how are we going to get her to the hospital?”
word count: 471

Appearance

• Due to an encounter with a magical tree Devin has bright violet eyes.
  • Devin has fancy black claw-like nails. The Grafter Rakvald made them from the spines that grow on the dubaebo's back and attached them to Devin's hands.

Items

Devin owns a Ring of Reversal. He's always wearing it, unless stated otherwise.

Potions

N/A
[/list]
Faith Augustin Champion
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Fanatical Philanthropist
Renown: 2250
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Among the Rubble

"It's more than possible, I'd say." Faith replied when he talked about replacing Pash. It was probably shock, she knew, making him talk about strange and unrelated things, but that was fine. As long as he kept the pressure on the wound, she didn't mind what he talked about. "We do need a replacement. Pop by some time." She saw his expression as he looked at the blood and Faith talked at him. Kept his mind busy, focused, away from the spiral of focusing on what was happening. Because what was happening was that a person was bleeding all over him and, the first time that happened and you realised it, it was terrifying.

She wasn't in danger any more? "Not in critical danger no. We'll need to get her to the field hospital, to get this properly treated and to make sure that she doesn't develop an infection." Faith smiled at him. Infection was a killer and it was something they were going to fight against time and again here. "But she'd never have made it this far, we would never have been worried about infection if it were not for you. Thank you."

So, what was she doing? Faith nodded her head. "If you come across a casualty of any kind, you check that their airway is open. Tilt their head back slightly, make it easier for them to breathe. Then, check that they are breathing and take their pulse. Once you've done that and determined that they can breathe, are breathing and have blood pumping, then it's time to check for bleeding." Faith nodded to where he was holding the pressure. "Bleeding out kills. Broken bones don't - usually. So, bleeding is next. Elevate it, put pressure on it. Close it. I'm going to stitch this now, but look at what I'm doing," she showed him, as much as she could without slowing down. "When the blood is really gushing, much worse than this, you have to think about if there's been a broken or cut artery. Those are the big blood vessels. If one of those is cut, the blood will really have a lot of pressure behind it." She glanced up at him and smiled a slight, mirthless, tight smile. "You have to close the artery, either with a stitch of some of the raft. That's the stuff in the jar."

But that wasn't this. "This is just allowing the blood to escape. See? So, I'm going to close it up. But if dirt or things get in there, it can get infected. So, I'm going to clean it, stitch it, clean it, cover it." That was what she did, washing antiseptic fluid over his hands and the wound and then she got to stitching. "The better I do this, the less she scars. If I'm in a rush, then a scar is what she'll live with, if I need to get to someone else, but I don't. So, small and neat." She showed him the way she stitched. "That's good, just move your hand half an inch. Thank you."

And then he asked about getting her to the hospital and Faith looked at him as she tied off the stitches. "We aren't." She motioned to the whistle. "One long note, please. Count of four. They'll come then." It was the best way to do things, and Faith looked at him. She was covered in blood, and the woman was pale but breathing strongly. "Thank you. Truly. You've made a real difference to-trial, and I'm so grateful for you doing that." Faith smiled at him and just did her best to keep the woman comfortable while the rescue crew, with the stretcher, made their way to them.
word count: 647
This PC is dead. See this thread for details.
Devin
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Baron Smooglethorn
Renown: 1145
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Among the Rubble

“Right“, Devin said and tried to keep the pressure on the wound without thinking too much about the fact that his hands were covered with somebody else’s blood. Kneeling here and doing this was very different from watching a man being ripped to shreds by a shadow monster from afar! “This doesn’t sound too complicated”, he decided before something suddenly occurred to him. “What do I do if they aren’t breathing or don’t have a pulse though? I can’t resurrect people, I’m afraid – unless you would be willing to talk to Vri and persuade him to give me his blessing as well?”

He looked at Faith hopefully because resurrecting people would be a really useful ability to have in his opinion - even though he wouldn’t be able to resurrect himself which was unfortunate. He already had the black nails that a Blessed of Vri needed which he hoped would impress the Immortal and make him more inclined to give him a chance.

“What are the small blood vessels called?” he wanted to know as she told him that the big blood vessels were the arteries – which implied that there was more than one kind of blood vessel. He wasn’t just feigning curiosity in her work in order to please her, he was genuinely interested now – even though she ought to have given him a proper forewarning before she poured that stuff over his hands. “What’s that?” he wanted to know, frowning a little. He meant the antiseptic fluid. Wouldn’t water have been sufficient?!

He moved his hand slightly as she told him to, and then he grabbed the whistle and blew, wincing a bit because it was unexpectedly loud. He was glad that he wouldn’t have to fling the woman over his shoulder like a potato sack and carry her all the way to the hospital now – because he wasn’t sure if he would manage. She was quite heavy!

Most people would have been humble and insisted that they couldn’t have done it without help, but Devin just enjoyed being praised. As Faith thanked him, he smiled all over his face.
word count: 364

Appearance

• Due to an encounter with a magical tree Devin has bright violet eyes.
  • Devin has fancy black claw-like nails. The Grafter Rakvald made them from the spines that grow on the dubaebo's back and attached them to Devin's hands.

Items

Devin owns a Ring of Reversal. He's always wearing it, unless stated otherwise.

Potions

N/A
[/list]
Faith Augustin Champion
Approved Character
Profession: Fanatical Philanthropist
Renown: 2250
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Among the Rubble

"If they're not breathing, or don't have a pulse? Well, that's tricky. We can breathe for someone, force their heart to beat. Cover their nose, pinch it and open their mouth, then put yours over theirs and breathe into them. Keep an eye on their chest, it should rise." Faith explained like it was a simple enough thing. "Three breaths, five compressions. That's lacing your hands together and using the palm of your bottom hand to press down where the heart is. Here." She pointed to it on her own chest. "Push down hard and force the heart to pump."

Faith had a very casual manner of saying this, making it sound like she was talking about methods of sewing or knitting. But when he spoke about her chatting with Vri and putting a good word in for him, her eyebrow raised. "Well, it isn't really that kind of relationship, I'm afraid. I worship Vri, I tend not to have chats and take tea with him. If he asks me for a recommendation, though, I'll be sure to mention your name." Faith couldn't quite work out if he was joking or not, so she was only half serious herself. People did the strangest things in times of stress, after all.

What were the smaller vessels called? "Veins, capillaries, depends on the size of them." She saw his frown and glanced at him apologetically, "My apologies, I should have told you beforehand. This is antiseptic fluid. Water can be dirty - this liquid can fight infection, water can cause it." It was straightforward enough to explain and she hoped that it was a sufficient explanation. She had no wish to unnerve him, but at the end of the trial, she had to make sure that the woman - and him - had maximum chances to not get infection.

He blew on the whistle and Faith remained there with him. When he grinned like that, so obviously pleased, Faith couldn't help but grin back at him. "Here they come!" When they got busy there, Faith put her hand on Devin's arm. "Please, make sure to put your name on the list of volunteers. You've made such a difference to-trial. That woman might want to thank you." It was true, as Faith saw it.

But then, there were many people still buried, still injured, still hungry and all that went with this. So, she got about the business they were about, after bidding Devin good trial and thanking him again.
word count: 426
This PC is dead. See this thread for details.
Doran Cooney
Approved Character
Profession: Performer
Renown: 40
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Among the Rubble

Devin Thorn
Knowledges
Deception: Acting as if you have absolutely nothing to hide
Deception: Taking care of your sick mother is the same as nursing, right?
Strength: Lifting heavy stones
Strength: Dragging an unconscious person
Strength: Applying pressure to a wound
Medicine: What to do when you come across a casualty
Medicine: Bleeding out kills, broken bones don't
Medicine: Different types of blood vessels
Medicine: You can close an artery with stiches or a raft
Medicine: Cleaning wounds in order to prevent infection
Medicine: Mouth-to-mouth resuscitation
Medicine: Chest compressions

Faith: Faith Augustin
Faith: Doctor and restaurant owner
Faith: Part-time construction worker?
Faith: Seamstress?
Faith: Was born in Venora
Faith: Lived in Andaris for a while
Faith: Blessed by Famula, Vri and Moseke
Faith: Can ressurrect people

Loot: N/A
Injuries: N/A
Renown: 15 - for altruistically saving a woman's life, without even being part of the official relief effort!

Points 15
Faith Augustin
Knowledges
Leadership: Giving orders with minimal snippy
Strength: Lifting heavy beams
Strength: Keeping a heavy weight up long enough for your partner to do their bit.
Strength: Taking the strain.
Teaching: On the job
Teaching: Praise helps
Teaching: Distract a student from a gruesome sight

Devin: Volunteer relief worker
Devin: A bit of a show off
Devin: Fundamentally a good person
Devin: A bard

Loot: N/A
Injuries: N/A
Renown: N/A

Points 15
---
Devin is a snappy quick, witty fellow haha. I enjoyed his flippant attitude throughout the thread, even when faced with some pretty gruesome stuff, the shift in his thoughts felt very natural and true to the character you'd established in the earlier posts! Definitely my favorite part was the bit about thinking about what name the color of his hands was right before it hit him that it was another person's blood. Really strong choice of imagery that didn't require a lot of words to accomplish. Faith, as always, very helpful and very calm. The irony that there was someone in that house after all!
Please edit your grade request, thank you!
word count: 346
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Scalvoris Town”