[Isonomia] Relief Effort: Collapse

3rd of Ashan 718

Once an isolated and dying township, an influx of academics, adventurers and thrill seekers have made Scalvoris Town their home. From scholars' tea shops to a new satellite campus for Viden Academy, this is an exciting place to visit or make your home!

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Faith Augustin Champion
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Fanatical Philanthropist
Renown: 2250
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

3rd Ashan, 718
"She's just in the office," Skeet said to him as she walked with Padraig. Skeet was one of the Isonomia faction members and so they knew each other. She looked about fourteen but was much the same age as Faith, although she was very different. Constantly shifting eyes matched her perpetual fidgeting; Skeet was filled with nervous energy, always and she was never still. "Make her eat, would you?" Like a magician pulling a rabbit from a hat, she reached into her jacket and pulled out a wrapped parcel containing, should he look, a small pork pie with bread, some fruits, cheese, celery and a slice of cake. Skeet grinned, "I haven't been trying long, and she's probably going to be irritated at me for telling you I've been trying at all. But you know, she needs to eat. And you know that. You're her husband. Ok. I'm glad we're in agreement, the door's there, have fun!" She didn't immediately go, though. "It makes a difference to people that she's here. When she's not in there organising, she's in the hospital or in the zone," the name they'd given to the area of destruction. "And it really makes a difference. She's tireless, you know and people really look to her." Skeet almost shuffled her feet. "It's good she's here, is all. Anyway, bye." And then, leaving him with a small food box in his hand she ran off to the next job.

It was rare that Faith didn't notice when he was close by. Their shared links, after all, were enough to make them both fully aware of each other. But right at the moment, Faith was focused in a way which was rare. But then, she had to be because she was co ordinating the relief effort on Scalvoris Docks and the job was huge. They were working on an estimate of four hundred residents and at least that many visitors and party goers again. To make things more complex, of course, there had been a party going on and so there were people from all over the place and Faith had only a rough estimate of how many they were looking for. At the moment that she called out "Come in!" Faith was completely immersed in two lists, making notes on one as she read the other.

However, as he stepped in she looked up and for all that she had looked intensely focused, he felt the rush of emotion she experienced at seeing him. "Padraig!" Faith moved from around the table as quickly as she could and half ran into his arms. She had a hundred question racing in her head, but she knew all the answers and didn't need to ask the questions, so instead of talking she kissed her husband and felt herself relax in his arms. "I miss you," she whispered. "And the children, I miss them so much. Just a few more trials, I think." He wanted her to come home, she knew, but he also knew that she couldn't. Her Zuuda mark gave her increased endurance, and her ability to work relentlessly was already immense so to most, she looked fine. He knew her better though, she was tired and she didn't try and hide it from him. There was no point even if she wanted to, but she didn't want to. "I just need to make sure I've done my best until we've stopped pulling out people who died of dehydration, because each one of those we could have saved if I'd ..." Done it better some how, made more of a difference or better choices. Maybe. Until she was sure, at least.

"Are you here to help? Or did the Chancellor send you? I wrote to him yesterday and asked him to close the university for three trials, asking all staff and students to volunteer. Even if it's just to sit with the dead, we need people." Holding herself close to him, Faith rested her head against him for a moment. "So, I'm about to go and do a few breaks in the zone. Want to help a girl dig?" Frowning, she looked down at the package in his hands. "What's that?"
word count: 731
This PC is dead. See this thread for details.
Padraig
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Renown: 939
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 9

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Padraig enjoyed teach, most trials. Other times, it was a not all that unpleasant part of his responsibility that was firmly tied to his position that university, that provided him with the opportunity, the facilities, the access to other scholars and the backing that allowed him to do what he cared about most as a scientist. Research, knowledge and the the search for it. And then there were the odd trials scattered among the others, where he'd much rather be elsewhere than behind a desk or podium at the front of a lecture hall. The brightest of the bunch so far as his students were concerned, meant that teaching overall remained worthwhile. The dunderheads, however, the ones that were primarily there because their wealthy parents demanded and funded it, were the fly in the soup.

He was done with that for the trial however and was due to put in some time for the relief effort. Too many citizens had been impacted by the recent disaster. Lost homes, lost livelihoods, lost lives. For the moment, those needs far exceeded any other more trivial pursuit. So he'd shown up dressed for the occasion and ready to work. "I'll make sure she does," he assured Skeet when she handed him the bundle, presumably containing a meal for Faith that she'd thus far failed to eat. It didn't surprise him. When she set her mind to something she could be single minded. It was on the one hand maddening, the other hand endearing and he loved her for the tendency. And he knew how important her presence was here. Still he believed she was overdoing it. Still, Skeets sentiments were well taken, all the more because there was no doubt in the truth of it.

"You're working too hard," he scolded Faith gently when she fell into his arms. And yet it was an admonishment offered up in love, since he knew and understood, and wouldn't have her any different than she was. The children were fine, he added. He'd dropped by at home to check on them when he'd changed his clothing. They were happy and awake, and Cyrus was spoiling them rotten. "Give him much more of a rein with them and they'll be intolerable," he added with a grin. As for the people she was helping? "They're lucky to have you," he said.

The Chancellor hadn't sent him, Padraig added when she asked. "But I did speak with him, passing in the hall and he mentioned that you'd written. Hopefully he'll make sure that more of the staff and students have an opportunity to lend a hand." He was happy to dig, to lift, or whatever else that was needed. But first, he held up the package that Skeet had handed him. "I'll do whatever you need me to do and more. But first, you eat," he said, and it didn't appear that it was up for debate.
word count: 504
Faith Augustin Champion
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

3rd Ashan, 718
She was working too much? Faith looked up at him as his arms wrapped around her and just for a moment she allowed herself to relax. "That is a most unscientific statement, professor. How are we defining too much? I recall explaining this to you about fussing, and now you are repeating the error. What will Professor Dashiell say at your abandonment of reason?" In other words, of course, yes, she knew she was but that wasn't the point. It was the best she could do, it was what she had to do. Her gaze turned to the door and she spoke in a quiet voice. "If you were there, I'd tear it down with my bare hands. I wouldn't be in here, I wouldn't care about anything else, I'd just be finding you. Every wife I have to tell, I need to be able to look her in the eyes. Every mother, father, husband, son or daughter. I'm not working too hard." She smiled, aware that it had become very serious, very quickly. "I'm working just the right amount considering."

When he spoke about the children, her eyes softened and she drank in his words, though her grin was genuine. "Shame on you! Our babies will never be intolerable," the mere thought of it was too much. If there was going to be one of them who did discipline, fair to say it wasn't going to be her.

However, her reaction to the Chancellor's words was quite different. "And when is he going to do that?" Faith had a very specific frown of extreme irritation and there it was. "Maybe he can come and visit the new building and tour the garden of remembrance if I get the dates sorted now. I don't need more people in a few trials, people are dying!" Which really wasn't his fault and he was here to help. She looked up, her eyes speaking the apology before she did. "I'm sorry. I just don't understand why anyone has anywhere more important to go than here. If there was someone he loved in that zone, it would be a different story and the world should be a better place than that." She breathed in and made a decision. "I'm going to go and see him. I want that University shut and every staff member, every student, here. Two trials." Faith had a very specific glint in her eyes and she gave a slight chuckle. She'd told him once that she was a lunatic, after all.

First, she ate? Faith turned her best withering gaze to her husband, but it was a lost cause and she knew it. She couldn't refuse him and a small part of her thought that maybe one trial that would be all that stood between her and total extremism. That, and those two perfect beings, of course. But it was for them that she needed to make the changes. To be the change she wanted to see. Because the world their children would grow up in should be beautiful and full of love. So, she ate. "We can help with the digging here," Faith didn't have a large appetite, but she picked up the cheese and bit into it with a complete lack of concern for it, or how it tasted. She ate it without thinking, because she had to. "I think there's.. " pausing, Faith lifted her eyes just for a few trill. He's seen it a thousand, thousand times by now as she followed the path of the soul in the room. Pinching the bridge of her nose, she sighed. "There's so many of them, Padraig. They're confused and afraid and I have no time to help them right now." They had to focus on the living.

Once she'd worked her way, almost mechanically, through the cheese and half the pork pie she couldn't eat more and that was all the sitting still she was doing. Making their way out, the zone was not far and so they got to an area, the one on the map. It was a deathtrap there, there was no doubt but it was shored up, people had been busy here, making the place as safe as they could. Faith motioned to where she planned to go in and started to make her way.
word count: 746
Padraig
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

"Well I believe that professor Dashiell would say I've got a pretty good grasp on string theory," Padraig teased back when Faith protested his fussing. She was doing too much, he maintained, and he wanted to make sure she took care of herself. And in case it needed explaining? "A cosmological theory based on the existence of cosmic strings. You can't see it. Can't touch it. Can't prove it exists....yet," he added with a crooked grin but then added more seriously. "I know you wouldn't stop if I was underneath that rubble. No more than I would, were the roles reserved. But wearing yourself out to the point of collapse won't do anyone any good. Not you. Not them."

But if it helped, he added when Faith complained about the Chancellor, Padraig believed that most of the students and even some staff had taken their charitable duties into their own hands. "Either two thirds of my students stayed home with a case of the sniffles this trial, or they're out there lending a hand somewhere." But she ate, at least, and that was progress. And one very small victory for him. Of course the small win paled in comparison to having her not overdo it, and to shift a greater amount of care to her own well being. Padraig loved her all the more for her single minded drive on behalf of others, but worried about her nonetheless.

But then there were ghosts? Of course there were. And ordinarily Padraig would have taken it as, this was their life. Ghosts dropped in and out all the time. But this he realized was different. "Alright," he agreed and stood up from where he'd been sitting. "Let's go see what we can do." But when they did arrive at the scene, one look convinced him that if this wasn't done properly and carefully, there'd be even more lives lost. And the newest ones could be among the rescuers themselves. As a physicist, a scientist, he was privy to a different perspective of what would hold, and what might not.

"No," he said and reached out to put a hand on Faith's shoulder when she stepped forward and appeared intent on a particular place of entry into the rubble. "Not there. No one should be going in and out there until it's more carefully cleared and more supports are put in. It's a weak point. It goes, a good sized area around it is going to fold in like an accordion. Over there," he said, pointing out a place some ten feet over to the left. "Everything else goes, that spot will hold. There's a load bearing wall there and will leave a pocket if the rest collapses." If she was going to go in, or anyone else was, in and around that wall was acceptable. Remotely. At least until he put his head together with others to make sure the rest didn't go.
word count: 508
Faith Augustin Champion
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

String theory? Cosmic strings? Faith looked at him and even in the midst of being exhausted, emotionally drained and, as it turned out, rather hungry, her smile was delighted. "And how, pray do tell me, Professor Augustin, does this string theory equate to you fussing too much and being unscientific about it while you're at it?" He would have an answer, she was sure, but still it was what they did and how they were. "And I'm not going to do that," she said, of exhausting herself and pushing herself to the point of collapse. "I promise. I'm tougher than I look, remember? I tried to tell you that when I wanted you to cower behind me in the shadow beast attack." She had entirely expected him to, believing herself to be completely expendable and him - as a free man - worth a lot more. One trial, she swore, there would be no more slaves. If it was within her power.

"No it doesn't help," she said, with a deep frown of very genuine irritation. Not at him, but the situation. " People choosing to come here rather than attend class is an excellent thing, and is a sign that people, individually, are community minded. The Chancellor closing the university and putting its not inconsiderable resources towards the effort for three trials would be a massive thing. Instead, he has professors standing in front of half empty classrooms, rather than helping and it is not good enough." She genuinely did not understand why anyone would be anywhere but here, but she also recognised that she was perhaps not being entirely reasonable. Pinching her nose and breathing in she then exhaled slowly and looked at him. Her eyes told the truth of her words before she spoke them. "I'm sorry. I'm just.. "

That there was something bothering her was obvious to him, she knew, and so she looked up at him and said it. "I pulled a man out of the rubble. He was pinned under a beam and for a moment, just a moment, I didn't want to help him." Although the absolute truth, that disturbed her at a fundamental level. What didn't disturb her at all was who he was. "He was the one who bought me from my parents. Three hundred gold nel, and he took me to Athart where they paid him six hundred for me. He put my first brand on me, on the ship." Shaking her head, she told him something she'd never shared - there had never been a need to. "I was one of five he brought. He branded us. Two of them died, I think. He came here to get away from all he'd done. To try and forgive himself." With a wry expression, she put the food down, her appetite gone although she'd eaten some. "Just for a moment, Padraig, I was tempted." Although, she told him, that temptation had not lasted long, barely two trills and then she'd pulled him out and, while she splinted his legs she'd told him who she was and that she forgave him. That, she told him dismissively, like it wasn't important because of course she did that. It was the two-trill hesitation which bothered her.

Still, they put it to one side because his opinion was of course she hesitated, she wouldn't be human if she didn't and she was a better person than most for helping him and frankly, did he deserve it. Before Padraig said a word, Faith had more or less come to the conclusion that he believed that. He'd tell her what he thought, no doubt. Either way, they made their way to the zone and she started to move when he said no and put his hand out. "What?" Faith asked and then she frowned, slightly. "But they've shored this area up. Look." Faith pointed to the side where, indeed, the building had been reinforced but not in the right place. Faith frowned and glanced up at him. "We need to go in and see if..."

As she spoke, there was a rumble. That was all it was a single groaning noise and the building just folded in on itself even further. Dust billowed out and Faith's natural, immediate inclination was to move forward but she felt his arm wrap around her and pull her back.She'd always charged towards what she should run away from and he knew that as well as anyone, so he grabbed and stepped back. Faith got the distinct impression that, if he'd needed to he'd have lifted her off her feet. Looking up at him, she looked panic-stricken. "There are people in there, Padraig. Rescuers. We have to try." Her silver eyes on him were serious and she really wanted to tug his sleeve. But then, she asked the question which she knew was the important one. "How do we do it safely?"
word count: 841
Padraig
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

"There is nothing unscientific about fussing, as you put it," Padraig argued, pleased that Faith was finally taking the time for herself, to eat a little something and to relax, if only for a few bits. "String theory is just that. Theory based upon a duality, evidence and a conundrum. It doesn't make it any less a reality." Such as theories went, that was. "String theory, science. You, conundrum." Together, fussing, was the implication. Science.

It was nice to see her smile at any rate, caught up in the middle of all of this misery and disaster. And back then, the shadowbeast? She was no less a conundrum now than she'd been then. Just one of the many reasons that he loved her. "Give him time. A trial at least," he said, smiling quietly when Faith complained about the Chancellor. Not everyone after all was quite as quick to leap to the fore as she was. Not everyone had the same deep sense of empathy as her.

Some lived in grand homes, sent their servants out for supper and rarely mixed with those like the ones that were currently suffering. They were blinded in a sense, and sometimes it took them just a little bit longer to realize. Just as often, they were inclined to throw gold at the problem. "He was headed off grounds when I passed him and said he had an errand to do at the docks. He won't be able to help but see the problem. You'll probably have your extra hands by the end of the trial."

She'd seen the man who'd bought her? No wonder she seemed so bothered and distracted, beyond simple exhaustion. Could he blame her for the temptation of not helping the man? Not at all. And yet he hadn't expected it to have turned out any other way. "You know what that makes you," he said and touched Faith's hand. "Human. Utterly human." Nothing wrong with that, nothing worth seeking forgiveness for. Human. They all were. Well, at least those who were humans were. "It's his to learn how to live with what he's done. Not yours." And what Faith had shown that man, was that she hadn't been broken.

"No," he said, sometime later when she told him that the workers had steadied up the place in the rubble where they were going in and out. "They didn't'. They tried," Padraig clarified. They'd wedged in the supports at an angle that might just be a few degrees off. But those degrees could mean the difference between life and death when it all came tumbling down. She wasn't going in that way. And then of course, it went. He heard it before it happened, and when the structure collapsed and folded in, it sent dust and tiny bits of debris flying out into a large cloud. Without a thought, because he knew Faith, he reached out to take hold of her and pull her back a few strides.

Now there were rescuers in need of rescuing, and there was no question they'd have to do it. And apparently the Chancellor once seeing the problem for himself, had developed a full blow case of charity and community caring, and had sent a team of engineers their way, along with professors and students. They'd have the extra hands they needed, the engineers would be a great deal of help. But still, there'd be no rushing it. Waving over one of engineers, he spoke with him briefly while making sure Faith didn't give him the slip in the meantime. Only if she needed to talk with some of the new arrivals.

Soon enough though, Padraig and his new helpmate had identified the best way in, and the best way to go about making sure that didn't collapse on them. "There," he told Faith. They needed to drag more scattered beams over and wedge them in just so, much like the support beams and rafters would keep a high ceiling from collapsing under punishing circumstances.
word count: 690
Faith Augustin Champion
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

String theory, duality, evidence and science, but she was a conundrum? Faith looked at him and put her plate down, then stepped into his arms once more. "There is nothing confusing about me, Professor," she whispered, reaching her hand up to stroke his cheek. "I am an utterly simple and simplistic soul. It is you who is string-like, due to the virtue of you, and string theory, being utterly confounding to my brain." She leaned against him for a moment, thanking Vri, Famula and Moseke for this man and his love for her. He made it all possible, everything she did and all the impossibilities, he made each one of them something she could achieve and he always had.

On the topic of the Chancellor, though, Faith gave a slight snort - just the kind she denied ever making in truth. "I hope so, Padraig, I really do. Every copper we spend here is more money which could be spent on rebuilding homes." Frowning slightly, she lowered her head to against him and she told him about the man she had pulled from the rubble. It did bother her, she didn't need to tell him that; his touch of her hand though caused a gentle tugging of her lips into a smile as she felt a wave of emotion wash over her. "You make me believe that I can change the world, you know. Later that same trial I met my sister," she looked at him with serious silver eyes and explained. "Rey'na. My father's daughter. Raised with Morana, the second name on his grave."

Pulling the man from the rubble had caused an intense emotion in her; their shared links told him that as they felt what each other felt. When Faith said to him that she had met her sister, she felt like there was a wall behind which was more emotion than she could possibly deal with. It was hard work staying this side of the wall but remain there she did. These trials, it was rare that Faith shut down her emotions in the way she had so often when they first knew each other. But this? She couldn't function if she allowed herself to give in to this.

"She's beautiful." Faith said and started to get ready to leave. "I'd like it very much if you'd meet her. After this. When I can allow myself to feel things about it." She already did of course but that wasn't the point.

Because right now, she couldn't take the time.

However, time was exactly what they'd have to take once they got out to the zone and Faith frowned as he said that it wasn't safe. She'd opened her mouth to tell him he was being over cautious when the whole thing collapsed. As her natural instinct kicked in, without even thinking about it she started moving forward and he grabbed her and pulled her back. She looked up at him and raised an eyebrow. "I was just going to look. Scientific curiosity." Her lips pursed and she was just about to point out to him that they needed to get moving and quickly when, just at the right moment, the Chancellor arrived and with no small amount of overly pleased with himself he got involved, bringing staff and students, equipment and expertise.

They worked together for a few breaks, though Faith kept an eye on Padraig because frankly she wouldn't put it past him to try and sneak in there and rescue people before it was safe. He seemed equally inclined to watch her, though and as they turned to check the other one was there, she quirked an eyebrow at him. But she nodded. "I see. Thank the Immortals you were here." That was true, if he had not been, she told him most seriously, she might be flat. Thankfully, other than some bumps and bruises and shocks, those who had been trapped were easily pulled out again and, once the place was shored back up, they could continue with the work.

And dirty, dusty and exhausting work it was, but it needed doing. When they had been there for a full shift, they were replaced and Faith looked at him. "I think it might be sensible if I got just a couple of breaks sleep. Fancy bunking in on a single bed and keeping me company?" It was fine if he didn't, if he needed to go home but just seeing him had given her that change in mindset she needed to get just a few hours sleep now, in order to be better equipped the next trial. It wasn't enough, he'd think but equally she'd know without a doubt that it was more than she'd do if he hadn't been here. Which, she figured, was progress.
word count: 822
Padraig
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

String theory. Faith was just like string theory and the more she countered the argument, the more he'd dig in. All in the spirit of teasing her, because it was nice to see her smile past the exhaustion and the unpleasant business of trying to help put people's lives back in order. People who'd lost much more than belongings and housing, some of them. "I beg to differ," he told her, since that in fact was the nature of scientists who followed different lines of logic. So far as Padraig was concerned, when it came to actual science, there was logical, and there was not. But matters of the heart of course were much different.

Which was why of course, he realized, she would feel conflicted where it concerned her newfound sister. Why wouldn't she be, he'd asked? Not only was it a fairly new revelation, there was old baggage that came along with it. Things she could never forget, but better she wasn't reminded of it. "If she remotely resembles you,' he'd said and kissed her. "Then of course she's beautiful. If you want me to meet her, then of course I will."

But then there were more immediate concerns, and first and foremost, Faith was his. He hadn't given a trill's thought to stopping her heading into the collapsed rubble. No more than she'd have let him do it. The Chancellor though might be late in bringing him, but considering the arrival just now, it was hard to complain about the timing any more than they already had. Not so much him, but the extra help and expertise he'd brought with him. Minds that would be useful, even critical to making sure the way was safe.

So they all worked side by side, before and after it was safe to head back into the mess and pull first the rescuers out, then begin again a search for other survivors that by some miracle might still be under there somewhere. Padraig was exhausted by the time others arrived to relieve them all. But Faith, more so. "I can't think of anything I'd rather do," he said, slipping an arm around her waist as they returned to the headquarters.
word count: 383
Rynata
Approved Character
Race: Biqaj
Profession: Merchant
Renown: 210
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Name: Faith

Knowledge:
Persuasion: String theory makes no sense
Psychology: Awareness of what separates you from madness is useful
Psychology: Making the world a better place starts with you

Loot: N/A
Injuries: N/A
Expenses: N/A
Renown: N/A
Magic XP: N/A

- - -
Name: Padraig

Knowledge:
Construction: Where to shore up fallen buildings
Construction: Applying the theory of physics to a collapsed building
Detection: Identifying key areas in a collapsed area.
Leadership: State your demands clearly
Persuasion: State opinion as fact
Persuasion: String theory

Loot: N/A
Injuries: N/A
Expenses: N/A
Renown: 10 Being of invaluable help to the relief effort
Magic XP: N/A

- - -
Comments: Aww you cuties. Loved the banter. Had some very human elements in there as well.

If you feel I've missed anything or if you have questions about your review, please don't hesitate to send me a quick PM. Also, please indicate on your request thread that this has been reviewed. Thanks!

Code: Select all

[center][img]/gallery/image.php?album_id=39&image_id=7932[/img][/center]
word count: 183
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Scalvoris Town”