The Giant

Once an isolated and dying township, an influx of academics, adventurers and thrill seekers have made Scalvoris Town their home. From scholars' tea shops to a new satellite campus for Viden Academy, this is an exciting place to visit or make your home!

Moderators: Aegis, Pegasus

The Giant

Postby Volker » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:08 pm

8th of Ashan
Volker might have been shouted down at the council meeting but he wasn't ready to give up. In his opinion having only two people to protect Amaris was a very poor oversight...even if the other council member knew how to swing a sword. This wasn't going to be a short journey, and with the cultists having attacked Scalvtown it was too risky. Volker knew if he were assigned to kill Amaris, having only two bodyguards would have been a laughable concept. It might have taken him a little longer than he'd liked, but still laughable given what he'd seen of her on their first meeting.

She clearly hadn't been on board with the idea of him accompanying her or his poor opinion of her abilities in battle. It hadn't changed his opinion of her ability to stomach gore, but it had showed him she had a spine. And it really didn't help Oor's snide comments.

When she came home that night, Volker had entered her house through the same window again. He had settled down on a chair with all of her cats around him. Occasionally he'd reach down and try to pet one, but the cats really didn't seem interested in the idea. So they settled into amicably ignoring one another. Volker was just waiting for Amaris to arrive home. He needed to speak with her. He wanted to accompany her. Not just to keep his own sins under wraps while the Elements investigated, but to keep her safe.

'I don't want her to get hurt either, honestly. It's a crime against the world to allow cans like that to disappear because of some fucking political dispute. You really need to learn how to talk to human beings. I'm better at it, and I'm the parasite here.' Oor told him. 'Here's hoping she listens and doesn't freak out on you.'

Volker
Approved Character

Race: Human
Profession: Butcher
Renown: +30
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Templates

The Giant

Postby Amaris » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:49 pm

- common / murnasian

The trial had been interesting. Relaxing, they might say. They hadn’t a single incident and it was beginning to become easier to venture outdoors. Amaris could say that they weren’t every bit fearful of what might await them outside their doorstep these last few trials, and perhaps that had made them brave. Too brave, it would seem. They were greeted by the usual yowls and mewls of salutations, a smile on their lips that soon fell as they gazed upon the figure in the chair.

How often had Volker haunted their dreams, mingling in with the faces of others that they’d prefer not to think about? It’d been an endless cycle of waking with a gasp, only to fall back into the same nightmare as if they had never left. And now he was here in the waking hours again. How many more nights would they force themselves into exhaustion until all they had was the bliss of darkness? It had worked for a trial or two, but it was spotty at best and maybe it wasn’t the greatest of ideas, but it had worked.

Like they had before, they froze. A deer caught in torchlight. Every part of them tensed, waging a silent war on whether to flee or stay. Would he catch them this time if they ran? Most likely; they figured if he was determined enough, he would catch them. Would he just kill them on the spot? Again, another likely option. They’d reported him to the Elements and he’d showed up to a council meeting soon after; this might have just been part of a greater game for him. That they were one of the many rats or mice while he the cat that toyed with them.

Whatever the reasoning behind this visit, Volker very much had the upper hand. The little bit of combat training they’d gotten from Sephira would be useless because they hadn’t the opportunity to use a spear. They didn’t even own one, for that matter, something they’d kick themselves in the teeth for when they weren’t stuck in place with fear. Swallowing, they assessed their unorthodox visitor.

“H-hello, Volker, Oor.”
Amaris
Sweet Summer Child of Scalvoris

Race: Mixed Race
Profession: Councilor of Natural Affairs
Renown: +92
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Player Review
Templates
Medals: 1
Helper (1)

The Giant

Postby Volker » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:53 am

Date
Volker could see the reaction the second Amaris stepped through the door. She froze up, and became the same person she had when he had killed someone in front of her. She was weighing whether to run and fetch one of the Elements or not. The Elements knew of him; the extent of their knowledge was unknown but he was fairly certain the second he'd left she'd reported him. It didn't matter. This wasn't about him. He held up his palms. "There is no one else here." he told her.

'Meaning we're not using you as a dead body storage again.' Oor piped up. 'He's not too good at expressing himself. Not really his fault either, I didn't raise him all that well.'

Volker snorted. "There is something of some import I must speak with you about. The council meeting. I wish to go with you. I do not think the others have your safety in mind, or have correctly estimated the dangers. And you are not comfortable defending yourself. You freeze. Just like you are now. What will you do if something scarier than I am comes?" he asked.

'What he means is, we're worried.' Oor translated. 'And this cult has messed things up for us too. Everyone's more cautious. It makes it harder to hunt, and that's something no one can really help. We need to get the hell out for a little while and your road trip is the perfect excuse.

Volker
Approved Character

Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Templates

The Giant

Postby Amaris » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:32 pm

- common / murnasian
By no one else, they assumed he meant there wasn’t another body. That only worked to relieve some concerns, but not enough. Oor’s confirmation still didn’t help, if they were going to be honest. His candor probably made them feel worse, knowing that they might later be subject to housing the remains of Volker’s kills. Of the remains of people for him to feast upon later.

Swallowing, they listened to the man. They should be offended. They should be furious, really, for the way he was slandering the others. That, they were working towards. But for the most part, all they could think of was how he was partly right in regards to his assumption of them freezing up. They had done so before, and they would likely do it again. They took too long to think out their options and weigh decisions. The mixed blood could confidently state that they were not combat-minded and they were pleased with that.

Volker’s worry did not comfort them, even as Oor “translated” and revealed the true reason by them coming along. He needed to wait for the heat of the attention on him to die down. They simply stood there a moment, not quite frozen this time. They drew to their full height, back straight.

“I would like to ask for you respectfully to leave.” Their words were slow, gaze dropped to the cats around the man. The felines were comfortable; traitors. The thought was gone in the same trill it appeared as their gaze flickered to Volker and Oor. “The trip to Viden is for official business and I am not the one in charge of deciding who all is coming aside from myself and Professor Augustin.”
Amaris
Sweet Summer Child of Scalvoris

Race: Mixed Race
Profession: Councilor of Natural Affairs
Renown: +92
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Player Review
Templates
Medals: 1
Helper (1)

The Giant

Postby Volker » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:49 pm

Date
Volker truly was worried for Amaris. In his opinion she shouldn't have gone with anything less than a full guard, and the fact that there was only a professor, a loose cannon swordswoman, and someone he didn't know didn't sit well with him at all. This was what he was terrible at; expressing concern for others. He couldn't explain exactly why he was so worried for Amaris. She was the only one he'd known to treat him kindly, or at least respectfully, without a show of force. She was smarter than others, didn't scream at him, and was quiet. He wanted to stay around her for as long as possible.

"Propose that I come with you. I do not think you have adequate protection." Volker urged her, but he stood up anyway. Craning his head to look up at her was getting difficult. "You know I am more than capable. No cultist or soldier would dare touch you."
'Look. What he's trying to do is be a friend to you.' Oor said. 'What you did meant a lot to us. The not screaming. I mean sure, you vomited and passed out, but you're probably one of the few to treat us like people. You're polite. You don't scream at us. There's no calling to the guard while we're here. It's not something either of us want to see disappear from this earth, really. I know you're scared of us. I know we're both rude in different ways, mostly because I've learned socialization from crazy people and he's learned it from me. Give us a chance?'

It wasn't exactly the way Volker felt, but Oor was better at expressing emotions for the both of them. "It is not just an excuse to get out of Scalvoris. I would weather it had I no choice. We do wish to go with you, Amaris. Help the council see that. I am not good at persuading people." he told her.

'Putting it lightly.' Oor added. Finding Volker friends or people who could stand him had been...well, a hell of a battle. Oor had tried a lot in the past, and given up on a lot. It was a bit like Volker's education; he simply wasn't cut out to teach him things like this. After all, what blithering idiot of a mage inducts a nine year old and leaves his care to a monster?

Volker
Approved Character

Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Templates

Return to Scalvoris Town