• Closed • Cast Upon Uncertain Shores

Once an isolated and dying township, an influx of academics, adventurers and thrill seekers have made Scalvoris Town their home. From scholars' tea shops to a new satellite campus for Viden Academy, this is an exciting place to visit or make your home!

Moderators: Aegis, Pegasus

• Closed • Cast Upon Uncertain Shores

Postby Lei'lira » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:11 pm

76th Ashan, 718

It was drizzling when the broken ship finally pulled into the docks. The shredded sails of the one remaining mast flapped uselessly in the mild but persistent wind that blew through them. One mast was gone completely, splintered off near the base. And a second had broken practically in half; the burnt, shattered remains littering the deck of the ship, ignored by the survivors who were powerless to do anything about it. The ship itself was unable to move under its own power, helplessly drifting in the currents until it either sank, or washed ashore somewhere.

The few surviving crew did their best to keep order among the surviving passengers. There were a number of leaks in the hull so most of the passenger quarters were either ruined, or too dangerous for the survivors to stay in. As a result, they were being kept on the deck and being shifted around as need be for the surviving crew to do what little work they could. The food had finally run out completely three trials ago, but they had been on extremely short rations since the storm that had crippled them twenty three trials ago. Lei'lira and Teia had given most of their rations to Tiran and Taerin, but the twins who were not quite an arc and two seasons old had not been eating solid food for long, and the ship food was hardly the best quality for such young children. Nor were they eating only solid food yet, but Lei'lira's milk was running low since she herself was starving as well. What little she had to offer had to go to Kaien, who wasn't even able to eat any solid food yet. To make matters worse, the last of the fresh water had run out at the same time as the food. It seemed strangely ironic to Lei'lira that they were surrounded on all sides by water yet had nothing they could drink. But the crew had cautioned the surviving passengers about drinking the salty ocean water, claiming that it would only make them sick. Lei'lira believed them. They had no reason to lie to them, and she had never seen them attempt to drink the sea water that they had cautioned the passengers against drinking.

Rescue had come when the ship had finally drifted into sight of some land that was unknown to Lei'lira. Exhausted talk among the crew said it was some place called Scalvoris, but the name meant little to Lei'lira. It was vaguely familiar, so she knew she had heard it somewhere before, but she didn't know where she had heard it, or in what context. She didn't even know if the crew was right about where they were. What was of far more interest to her was the two ships that had pulled up alongside them and were pulling the badly crippled ship towards the land they could see.

Lei'lira's throat burned with thirst, and her belly ached fiercely with hunger. She had lost a considerable amount of weight in the twenty three trials since the storm; weight that she didn't have to lose since she had still been trying to regain the weight she had lost last Vhalar while she was a captive. She had made some progress under her cousin's care in Rharne, but she had still had a ways to go before she would have been considered to be at a healthy weight. And all of that progress was gone now. But she didn't cry, or complain as some of the other survivors did. Teia was in the same shape she was in. And it was worse for the children because they were too young, too delicate to handle the deprivation as well as an adult could. Tiran, Taerin, and Kaien were all too weak to cry, and that hurt Lei'lira far more than her own suffering could.

When the ship finally pulled into the docks, the world seemed to explode into activity. Crew from the docks ran about securing the ship while members of the crews of the ships that had brought Lei'lira's ship in boarded the vessel and seemed to take over. They took over the tasks of the injured and exhausted crew, and rounded up all of the survivors. Those who were too weak or hurt to move under their own power were carried off first. Lei'lira and Teia weren't much better off, but they could walk on their own if assisted, so they patiently waited their turn to disembark.
Lei'lira
Approved Character

Race: Mixed Race
Profession: Farmer
Renown: +177
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Medals: 18
Story of the Month (1) World Developer (1) Painting With Words (1) Supporter (1)
Alpha Testing (1) Beta Bot (1) One Arc Later... (1) Living Legend (1)
Pioneer (1) Right In The Feels (1) Starting A Family (1) Shopaholic (1)
Legend In Waiting (1) Vhalar 716 (1) Holiday Event 2016 (1) Cylus 717 Thread Challenge (1)
Cylus 717 PC/Dev Challenge (1) Cylus 717 All Star (1)

Cast Upon Uncertain Shores

Postby Faith » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:26 pm

It happened more than it should, but ever had it been the way in Scalvoris, Faith knew. Ships ran aground here; in arcs past that was how Scalvoris came to be populated and the people of Harvardr believed entirely that they were direct descendants from the very first to crash into these beaches. However none of that was important. "Damnit, why do they not use salt buoys?" Faith muttered, as the word was spread that the ship had run out of water some trials ago. A plant used by biqaj all over Idalos, it turned salt water into drinkable water and that meant, quite often, the difference between life or death. But no use worrying about it now, she and the groups from the Order of the Adunih were here and, without hesitation Faith made her way aboard.

As a gold cloak she was on of the more senior healers in the Order on Scalvoris, although Galena was in charge, so Faith had instructed the green cloaks, especially, what they were to do. However, she made her way on to the boat, looking around with a sharp eye. The short woman who stepped on to the broken vessel was tiny in stature, maybe five foot four and very slight of build. She had jet black hair and pale white skin. Her eyes were so pale that they seemed to be a silver grey and she wore sensible, conservative dress under her gold cloak. There were twin tattoos on her arms, one on each wrist - a delicate black design and the same wrapped around her throat. They looked out of place on her, in terms of her dress. So too did the strange nails on her hands. But her gaze fell on to Lei'lira with the children and she moved over. "Hello, there," she said, softly, to them, reaching into her satchel as she came over. "I'm Faith and I'm a healer here. I've got these for you, little sips, please, otherwise you'll make yourselves sick and that would be bad. So little sips for me?" She handed the small pouches of drink to Lei'lira for the children and herself, and then some small, dry biscuits.

"It'll shock your system, anything else. There's additions in there, will build up some strength," she said to the mother of both the water and the food. "How are these little ones? May I?" With Lei'lira's permission, Faith would check each of the children over, just to make sure that there were no injuries. Then, finally, to the baby she motioned. "I gave birth less than a season ago. I have twins and plenty of milk if yours has dried up because of the hunger. If you want?" She certainly didn't move to take the baby from her, not without permission, but Faith didn't like how very quiet that babe was. She didn't like it at all.
"To be free is not merely to cast off one's chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others."

Cally's Restaurant & Charity | Isonomia Faction|Luna's Dream (Orphanage)
Beacon Village~Scalvoris Soup Kitchen
Faith
Life, Death & The In-Between

Race: Human
Profession: Chef / Professor
Renown: +1000
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Partner
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Medals: 48
Character of the Month (1) Contributor of the Month (1) Story of the Month (1) World Developer (1)
Helper (1) Peer Reviewer (1) Artíst (1) Painting With Words (1)
Shop Keeper (1) Mentor (1) Ambassador (1) Supporter (1)
Beta Bot (1) Review Master (1) One Arc Later... (1) Living Legend (1)
Hallowed (1) Pioneer (3) Hoarder (1) First Love (1)
Bow Chicka Wow Wow (1) Right In The Feels (2) True Love (1) Married (1)
Changed (1) Starting A Family (1) Shopaholic (1) Scandalous (1)
Immortal Lover (1) Dreamer (1) Party Animal (1) Pen Pal (1)
Mailman (1) Legend In Waiting (1) The Most Famous (1) Lol Worthy (1)

Postby Lei'lira » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:17 pm

The woman who approached them wasn't much shorter than Lei'lira was. Her gold cloak made her look like she was someone important, but its significance was lost on Lei'lira whose mind was fogged with the haze of exhaustion, hunger, and thirst. It was hard to think, and the coherent thoughts she did have were focused on worry for her children. But she did notice the woman's tattoos, and strange black finger nails. They too seemed to mean something, but Lei'lira didn't know what that might be.

When the woman who had introduced herself as a healer named Faith handed her some biscuits and packets of water, she thanked her softly. Lei'lira and Teia helped the twins with their packets of water first. Then Teia gratefully consumed her own with a quiet thanks. The biscuits were too hard for the twins who had only recently began eating solid foods, so Lei'lira used her own packets of water to soften them for Tiran and Taerin. Only when their needs had been seen to did Lei'lira slowly eat the biscuits that had been given to her.

Faith asked to look her children over, and Lei'lira was happy to let her attend to the twins. They had all suffered minor scrapes and bruises as they were tossed about during the storm. While there were no serious injuries from what little Lei'lira could tell, they had been left untreated because the limited medical supplies that had remained after the storm had had to be used on those who needed them the most. But when it came time for her to surrender Kaien to the woman, she hesitated. He was still...too still. Lei'lira looked down at the tiny infant clutched in her arms, and realized that he wasn't breathing. Somehow, when she had been helping Tiran and Taerin, her youngest son had slipped away. Lei'lira's grip on the still warm form tightened instinctively as she looked up at the healer with a storm of emotions swirling in her eyes.

"Kaien is sleeping." she said softly, a quaver in her voice suggesting that there was more to it than just that.

They had dumped the dead overboard. The sailors had explained to the grieving survivors that it had to be done in order to prevent sickness. But Lei'lira didn't care about that right now. No one was going to take her son from her. She wasn't going to allow them to dump his tiny, helpless body overboard. She wouldn't be able to bear seeing Kaien sink beneath the waves like so many others had before him. They would have to dump her into the sea first. She had already failed her son in the worst way a mother could. Lei'lira wouldn't fail him again. Not in this.

"Kaien is sleeping." she repeated desperately.

"But the twins...Tiran and Taerin have only just started eating some solid foods. If you have some milk to spare for them, then please..."

Lei'lira couldn't continue. She was too dehydrated to have any tears left to cry, but her breath hitched in a quiet sob as she curled around Kaien defensively.
Lei'lira
Approved Character

Race: Mixed Race
Profession: Farmer
Renown: +177
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Medals: 18
Story of the Month (1) World Developer (1) Painting With Words (1) Supporter (1)
Alpha Testing (1) Beta Bot (1) One Arc Later... (1) Living Legend (1)
Pioneer (1) Right In The Feels (1) Starting A Family (1) Shopaholic (1)
Legend In Waiting (1) Vhalar 716 (1) Holiday Event 2016 (1) Cylus 717 Thread Challenge (1)
Cylus 717 PC/Dev Challenge (1) Cylus 717 All Star (1)

Postby Faith » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:38 pm

Faith worked, quietly and methodically. "You are very welcome," she replied when Teia thanked her. "You'll feel better soon, I promise you." She checked each of the children and Teia, putting soothing salve on any cuts which she thought might be stinging or making them uncomfortable. Making sure that they were alright meant making sure that the mother was and Faith knew that the mother was in as much of a state as it was possible to be and still be standing. But of course she was, because these were her babies.

The mother let Faith help the other children, Teia was useful, too, although the children were still very young and Faith nodded when she asked about milk for the twins. "Of course I will. But, let me help him?" She had seen the look, the sudden pulling of the too-still baby to her. The way her arms tightened and Faith realised that there were no dead on the ship. What did she think they were going to do? She didn't know, but right in the moment, that didn't matter. This woman had been through torture, utter torture, and she had lost her child. How long ago, Faith didn't know, but she knew enough to know grief when she saw it.

And again, she said, he was sleeping. Faith knew he was not.

"My daughter's name was Rose," she said, softly. "I carried her and birthed her and miss her, every bit of every trial for over an arc now. But there was no body for us to mourn, no grave for us to visit. I'm not going to harm him, or take him away from you." Faith tried, desperately, to get eye contact with Lei'lira. "From one mother to another, I swear to you, I'm not going to harm him or take him away. I would never. Depending on when he fell asleep," she very much wanted not to upset the others. Faith was very aware that Teia as an adult was likely to know exactly what was going on, but Faith didn't know the circumstance and so, she kept it calm and clear. "depending on when that happened, I can help him."

Calm, compassionate silver eyes regarded Lei'lira. "I swear to you by my Rose, that I am only trying to help him. I might, just might, be able to help him wake up." Depending on how long ago he had died, that was. "I have no promise of success, but if you don't let me try..." tears sprang into Faith's eyes and she swallowed, then spoke again, pushing her own emotions aside. "Please let me try?"

And she held out her arms.

If Lei'lira allowed her to take him, then Faith took hold of him and she smiled down at the small bundle in her arms. "Hello, handsome baby. Hello, Kaien." Leaning forward she held him tight in her arms and kissed his tiny forehead, praying the whole time to Famula. She granted this ability, this Turn Back Death for situations like this, where things had gone too far and someone was newly dead. Her prayers were heartfelt and as the baby awoke and cried, Faith felt her own tears fall, but she ignored them and handed him back to his mother. "Famula be praised," she whispered.

However, if Lei'lira did not, then Faith would not force herself or try and take him. It was not Famula's way, that was about choice, choosing a path and Faith served as she did. So, if Lei'lira did not allow it, then Faith would respect that, although she would disagree with it wholeheartedly.
"To be free is not merely to cast off one's chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others."

Cally's Restaurant & Charity | Isonomia Faction|Luna's Dream (Orphanage)
Beacon Village~Scalvoris Soup Kitchen
Faith
Life, Death & The In-Between

Race: Human
Profession: Chef / Professor
Renown: +1000
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Partner
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Medals: 48
Character of the Month (1) Contributor of the Month (1) Story of the Month (1) World Developer (1)
Helper (1) Peer Reviewer (1) Artíst (1) Painting With Words (1)
Shop Keeper (1) Mentor (1) Ambassador (1) Supporter (1)
Beta Bot (1) Review Master (1) One Arc Later... (1) Living Legend (1)
Hallowed (1) Pioneer (3) Hoarder (1) First Love (1)
Bow Chicka Wow Wow (1) Right In The Feels (2) True Love (1) Married (1)
Changed (1) Starting A Family (1) Shopaholic (1) Scandalous (1)
Immortal Lover (1) Dreamer (1) Party Animal (1) Pen Pal (1)
Mailman (1) Legend In Waiting (1) The Most Famous (1) Lol Worthy (1)

Return to Scalvoris Town